Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    I started a new thread with the latest Russian men's articles (by Andrei Simonenko, newswires outside of Russia, etc.) here: Kovtun beat Plushenko at Nat'ls, but the fate of the Olympic spot has not been solved
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Kovtun is no Yagudin, he's Kovtun. He just beat both Yagudin and Plushenko at Russian National. And how he did at worlds last year is not a very good reference for his future performance. As long as he has the quality, he's just going to reform year by year very quickly like lots of young promising stars. He's going uphill, while Plushenko and some other more senior skaters, they are just going downhill year by year, that's the reality. Look how Yuzuru Hanyu did at his first senior year and where he is now. But I fully understand some of Plushenko fans' emotions right now, so keep attacking him.

I find this repost difficult,
    Since Yagudin obviously didn't compete at these Nationals,
    Plushenko isn't going downhill, He's just coming back way past prime for one last "Laugh",
    And Hanyu's first senior year was Killer! I mean, Did you see his FS at worlds ?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    I find this repost difficult,
    Since Yagudin obviously didn't compete at these Nationals,
    I just want to give you a smile for this. I bet some people can understand what I mean.

vCash
    Kovtun is no Yagudin, he's Kovtun. He just beat both Yagudin and Plushenko at Russian National. understand some of Plushenko fans' emotions right now, so keep attacking him.
    How did he beat Yagudin at Russian nationals? The last time Yagudin skated at RN was in 2002, when Kovtun was around 7 or 8.

Nobody is attacking Kovtun. All they are saying is he has not been consistent, so one performance does not prove anything other than that he won THIS title.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    No matter how it turns out w Kovtun this time, I think we have in Kovtun the potential for another great Russian man skater to emerge in the next quad. He is only 18 or 19. We will see him in 2018 and maybe 2022 too.

And if he lands those quads and others falter, he may even do very well in 2014 if elected. He has the jumps, has more potential for elegance than Plushenko I think and has strong political backing. We will see alot of him the next 4-8 years should he stay healthy.

YEAH!
    vCash
    What happened to Starygina/Volubuev (probably botched the spelling...)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    No matter how it turns out w Kovtun this time, I think we have in Kovtun the potential for another great Russian man skater to emerge in the next quad. He is only 18 or 19. We will see him in 2018 and maybe 2022 too.

And if he lands those quads and others falter, he may even do very well in 2014 if elected. He has the jumps, has more potential for elegance than Plushenko I think and has strong political backing. We will see alot of him the next 4-8 years should he stay healthy.
    I don't believe his quad technique is going to last long. Its really inconsistent now. I don't see it working that long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I don't believe his quad technique is going to last long. Its really inconsistent now. I don't see it working that long.
    This is not ladies were puberty is an issue. He has pretty good consistency. Is he the most spectacular skater evah! No. But he's the best Russia has right now.

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    What happened to Starygina/Volubuev (probably botched the spelling...)?
    They have retired. He is coaching now.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    They have retired. He is coaching now.
    Oh, that's too bad! They were voidy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting about the Mishin and Tarasova rivalry. To think, if another Mishin student Gachinski had just edged Kovtun out of Euros and Worlds last season, the situation would be much more containable now.
    Well, now I'm confused. Because Gachinski DID beat Kovtun at Nationals, but like Menshov, was passed over for Kovtun for the Euros and Worlds teams. In fact, it was part of what made the RFSF's hasty attempts to cover up their corruption so laughable - their insistence was that they hadn't sent Menshov because they wanted a younger skater. How old is Gachinski? Only a year older than Kovtun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Well, now I'm confused. Because Gachinski DID beat Kovtun at Nationals, but like Menshov, was passed over for Kovtun for the Euros and Worlds teams. In fact, it was part of what made the RFSF's hasty attempts to cover up their corruption so laughable - their insistence was that they hadn't sent Menshov because they wanted a younger skater. How old is Gachinski? Only a year older than Kovtun.
    I thought they went with Kovtun because they saw more potential and promise in him. One year later, who's doing better--Gachinski, Menshov,Voronov, or Kovtun?

Sometimes, to achieve the maximum possible success, you have to take a risk (sending kovtun last year) instead of going with the safe and conservative option (Menshov). Some of those risks might not pan out the way you'd like, but at least you tried.

vCash
    I just want to give you a smile for this. I bet some people can understand what I mean.
    Ok,
    And what about Plush and Hanyu ?
    More private jokes ?

I remember articles after worlds 2011 saying Gachinski is the future,
    To me, Even if Kovtun wins an Olympic medal this year,
    He's still in that same territory,
    His movement is still very sloppy,
    If he's good and consistent two years from now then i'll bite

Kovtun didn't win Russian nationals,
    Plushenko just failed to .

vCash
    Gachinski had been 9th and 7th at his two Grand Prix assignments. Kovtun had won three gold medals on the Junior Grand Prix circuit, including one at the Junior Grand Prix final. Gachinski hardly beat him decisively at nationals. The difference was less than two points, I believe. Gachinski's scores at the GP events were more than fifteen points behind Kovtun's junior international scores. The Russian federation may well be corrupt and I frankly disagree with Kovtun going to Europeans over Menshov (though given that he did go to Europeans and skate well, it wasn't a terrible idea at the time to send him on to worlds), but when you look at his overall season, Kovtun most certainly had a huge edge on Gachinski when making the argument for a trip to Euros.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Final results - Nationals in Sochi: http://fsrussia.ru/upl/results/1314/...1314/index.htm

LADIES
    1 Аделина СОТНИКОВА Sotnikova МОС 212.77 1 2
    2 Юлия ЛИПНИЦКАЯ Lipnitskaia М/Е 210.81 2 1
    3 Елена РАДИОНОВА Radionova МОС 202.01 3 3

4 Александра ПРОКЛОВА Proklova МОС 195.39 5 4
    5 Алёна ЛЕОНОВА Leonova М/С 187.48 4 7
    6 Серафима САХАНОВИЧ Sakhanovich СПБ 183.58 7 6
    7 Евгения МЕДВЕДЕВА Medvedeva МОС 181.86 8 8
    8 Анна ПОГОРИЛАЯ Pogorilaya МОС 180.88 10 5
    9 Николь ГОСВИЯНИ Gosviani СПБ 176.54 6 10
    10 Елизавета ТУКТАМЫШЕВА Tukatamysheva С/Г 175.59 9 9
    11 Мария АРТЕМЬЕВА Artemieva СПБ 155.23 11 14
    12 Софья БИРЮКОВА Biryukova МОС 150.15 15 12
    13 Диана ПЕРВУШКИНА Pervushina ТОЛ 149.14 16 13
    14 Алсу КАЮМОВА Kaiumova МОС 144.83 17 11
    15 Диана ШАМСУТДИНОВА Shamsutdinova ИЖЕ 144.40 14 15
    16 Полина АГАФОНОВА Agafonova СПБ 144.32 12 17
    17 Алина МАКСИМОВА Maksimova МОС 143.59 13 16
    18 Анна ШЕРШАК Shershak МОС 130.62 18 18

PAIRS
    1 Ксения СТОЛБОВА / Фёдор КЛИМОВ Stolbova/Klimov С/М 214.47 1 2
    2 Вера БАЗАРОВА / Юрий ЛАРИОНОВ Bazarova/Larionov С/М 214.02 2 1
    3 Мария ВЫГАЛОВА / Егор ЗАКРОЕВ Vigalova/Zakroev ПРМ 182.35 4 3

4 Юлия АНТИПОВА / Нодари МАИСУРАДЗЕ Antipova/Maisuradze МОС 174.97 5 7
    5 Василиса ДАВАНКОВА / Андрей ДЕПУТАТ Davankova/Deputat МОС 173.09 6 6
    6 Лина ФЁДОРОВА / Максим МИРОШКИН Fedorova/Miroshkin МОС 172.80 9 4
    7 Катарина ГЕРБОЛЬДТ / Александр ЭНБЕРТ Gerboldt/Enbert СПБ 172.37 7 5
    8 Евгения ТАРАСОВА / Владимир МОРОЗОВ Tarasova/Morozov МОС 169.06 3 10
    9 Кристина АСТАХОВА / Максим КУРДЮКОВ Astakhova/Kurdyukov МОС 159.62 8 8
    10 Анастасия ГУБАНОВА / Алексей СИНЦОВ Gubanova/Sincov ПРМ 153.28 10 9

ICE DANCE
    1 Екатерина БОБРОВА / Дмитрий СОЛОВЬЕВ Bobrova/Soloviev МОС 179.90 1 1
    2 Елена ИЛЬИНЫХ / Никита КАЦАЛАПОВ Ilinykh/Katsalapov МОС 168.01 2 2
    3 Виктория СИНИЦИНА / Руслан ЖИГАНШИН Sinitsina/Zhiganshin MOC 165.60 3 3

4 Екатерина РЯЗАНОВА / Илья ТКАЧЕНКО Riazanova/Tkachenko МОБ 163.99 4 4
    5 Ксения МОНЬКО / Кирилл ХАЛЯВИН Monko/Khaliavin МОС 155.59 5 6
    6 Александра СТЕПАНОВА / Иван БУКИН Stepanova/Bukin МОС 151.80 6 5
    7 Валерия ЗЕНКОВА / Валерий СИНИЦИН Zenkova/Sinitsin МОС 133.87 7 8
    8 Екатерина ПУШКАШ / Джонатан ГУРЕЙРО Pushkash/Guerreiro МОС 133.62 8 7
    9 Анжелика КАНИВЕЦ / Алексей ЧИЖОВ Kanivets/Tchizhov СВЕ 81.88 9 9
    10 Светлана ХОМЯКОВА / Никита ШУБО-ЯБЛОНСКИЙ Khomiakova/Shubo-Jablonski КИР 81.40 10 10

MEN
    1 Максим КОВТУН Kovtun М/Е 267.13 2 1
    2 Евгений ПЛЮЩЕНКО Plushenko СПБ 261.37 1 2
    3 Сергей ВОРОНОВ Voronov МОС 249.44 3 3

4 Константин МЕНЬШОВ Menshov СПБ 230.13 10 4
    5 Адьян ПИТКЕЕВ Pitkeev МОС 224.25 4 6
    6 Артур ГАЧИНСКИЙ Gachinski СПБ 224.17 12 5
    7 Жан БУШ Bush М/Ч 217.40 5 8
    8 Александр ПЕТРОВ Petrov СПБ 216.47 7 7
    9 Артур ДМИТРИЕВ Dmitriev МОС 202.03 8 11
    10 Мурад КУРБАНОВ Kurbanov МОС 199.86 14 9
    11 Сергей БОРОДУЛИН S. Borodulin МОС 197.31 13 10
    12 Гордей ГОРШКОВ Gorshkov СПБ 196.72 9 14
    13 Александр САМАРИН Samarin МОС 193.11 16 12
    14 Андрей ЛАЗУКИН Lazukin СПБ 186.25 18 13
    15 Морис КВИТЕЛАШВИЛИ Kvitelashvili МОС 184.98 11 16
    16 Владислав СЕЗГАНОВ Sezganov СПБ 182.75 17 15
    17 Константин МИЛЮКОВ Milyukov КАЗ 165.58 15 17
    WD Михаил КОЛЯДА Kolyada СПБ (boot lace problem during FS that he couldn't fix in time )
    Protocols (69 pages): http://fsrussia.ru/upl/ckeditor/protocol_rusnat1314.pdf
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Really happy with the ladies Euro team, Leonova really does look her best ever. Very proud of her, with better programs she could be better than I could've ever imagined she'd look. I hope she sticks it out, in this condition, another Olympic cycle because her maturity out there far exceeds any of the younger phenoms. Sotnikova's shoulder and back posture in the long just drives me absolutely nuts, it kills everything about her expression and really needs to be addressed since she keeps also going with the sleeveless costumes to show it off. She is so close to being just OMG worthy to me, but that really does stick out now and is really bad towards the end when she's running out of steam. I'm happy with how everything played out, who the heck is Proklova and how freaking awesome is she?! Russian ladies has more depth than the US gymnastics team did in 2004, I'm just speechless at it.

vCash
    Team recommendations for Euros:
    Dance: B/S, I/K, S/Z
    Pairs: S/K, B/L, V/T
    Men: Plushenko, Voronov, Kovtun
    Ladies: Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia, Leonova

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20131227/711124150.html

The final list will be approved in a few hours!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    who the heck is Proklova and how freaking awesome is she?!
    The lowest Russian finisher in the ladies JGPF. She's awesome!

vCash
    Well if Gachinski had skated somewhat consistently since his 2011 Worlds bronze medal, the Russian Federation really wouldn't have to be so desperate to promote someone new. FWIW, Kovtun did well at Euros last season and earned his trip to Worlds. He didn't place top 12 at Worlds / regain the 2nd spot for Russian men but then I doubt Gachinski or Voronov or Menshov would have anyway.

One season down the road, the Russian Federation must be delighted that they made the right choice last year. If they had stuck with Menshov for Euros and Worlds last season, they would have been left with just a very injured Plushenko and a very untested Kovtun as options for Sochi.

vCash
    Thoughts on Russian Nationals:

1. I am somewhat delighted that conventional judging did not 'completely' take over and the rightful (instead of the more reputable) winners won the men's and pairs' event. Never in my mind would I have bet that Plushenko would lose his a Nationals to some kid when he did land a quad and 3axel. Marks were still questionable but they were not ugly (like at Rostelecom Cup). Same for the pairs - IMO the wrong team won the free skate but the right team won overall so I am fine.

2. Kovtun has more than enough proven himself with his skating so far this season that he is Sochi-ready. He is a good bet for top ten at Sochi and then more importantly at Worlds. I think it's time to look ahead instead of behind, offer Sochi to Kovtun and instead invite Plushenko to skate in the opening ceremony or in the Olympic gala.

3. Gachinski has looked miserable on the ice for years now. I hope failing to make the Euros and Sochi team will allow him to reconsider his options going forward.

4. Sorry to learn that K&S will likely miss the Olympics but I think it is somewhat for the best. S/K, B/L and V/T still make a very strong team and K&S are just too injured (both of them) to continue on.

5. I really would have Sotnikova win the free as well. Sure she made a mistake but the quality of everything else was spot on. People criticize her posture and jump form and I share that but Lipnitskaya is even worse IMO. She lands all her jumps looking down and then there's her axel issues. Sotnikova carries a lot more flow both across the ice and on jump landings. Kudos to Lipnitskaya though, for displaying much better maturity and finesse in her moves this season and especially at this event. Her rushing through every move used to bug me to no end. I think they make a strong Sochi and World team and having both make top 5 at Sochi isn't that far-fetched.

6. I liked Proklova at the JGP but I LOVE her now. She was fcuking fantastic. Beautiful posture and attention to detail. She is one of the only, if not the only, lady to push and pick in her toe jumps on a straight leg and then land with a perfectly straight back and turned out leg. She out-Cohened Cohen. In contrast, the other young ladies like
    Sakhanovich & Medvedeva have much uglier jumping technique and posture. I hope the Federation gives Proklova a Jr World spot based on this.

7. Radionova has it all BUT THE AXEL. She needs to get it fixed ASAP.

8. In a few years time, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, (perhaps a rejuvenated Tuktemysheva), Radionova, Proklova and possibly
    Sakhanovich & Medvedeva will have to battle it out for Euros and Worlds. One or two of them may not survive puberty but it will still be insane. More insane than Japan. Can't wait. I just hope that they will get to develop different styles and not all use twinky music with pre-rotated 3/3s.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast