Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 541
  1. #501
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,182
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Leonova is currently #18 on the SB list, and that's assuming Kim is left on, despite having announced her retirement. There are only four skaters competing at Worlds or Jr. Worlds whose SB to date is within 10 points of Leonova's: Meite, Marchei, Sakhanovich, and Osmond. She should be guaranteed one in the initial selection, and between the host Feds scratching each others's backs and at least four of the Top 24 ineligible for senior, she may get two off the bat.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  2. #502

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,662
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16524
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Radionova was ineligible but people were saying she had no shot to beat gosviani and pogorilaya so you never know who she's capable of beating.
    True, but I am willing to bet! Save this email somewhere because I am looking forward telling you 'I told you so!' Besides, if Radionova was eligible, it would be moot pouint whether Leonova can beat Gosviani and Pogorilaya...and next season Radionova will be eligible.

  3. #503
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Leonova' program for next season ?

    lawdy no , and with lyrics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlChqV3Mo68

  4. #504

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,662
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16524
    It may be just exhibition program.

  5. #505

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,346
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8369
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Occasional assignment? I think she will still get one GP for sure, probably even two because she is lucky and those four JGP finalists can't start skating in seniors because the rules have changed. Apart of that, there are only B competitions that can be possibly coming her way. Is that what you had in mind by having decent career? (I am not denying that she has done decently in the past; in fact I would say she has had a decent career, but I definitely can't see her having decent career ahead of her).
    No, I meant by "occasional assignment" I meant an occasional Euros or Worlds spot in the next quad. If she skates well on the GP and "senior Bs" she should get 2 Grand Prix assignments per year.

    But I'm guilty for always cheering for the old ladies (Butyrskaya, Suguri, Kostner).

  6. #506

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My old Kentucky home, far away
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,429
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5515
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Leonova' program for next season ?

    lawdy no , and with lyrics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlChqV3Mo68
    Even as an exhibition that was horrifying. Was it just me or was she skating incredbly slow?
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

  7. #507

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,662
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16524
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Even as an exhibition that was horrifying. Was it just me or was she skating incredbly slow?
    only first 45 sec is slow. Like if she wasn't sure whether she wants to skate or not. A few steps, pose, another few steps, again pose...moving like if she is undecided whether to continue. But at least there are transitions. sort of. After 45 sec she start moving her normal speed.

  8. #508

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,662
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16524
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    No, I meant by "occasional assignment" I meant an occasional Euros or Worlds spot in the next quad. If she skates well on the GP and "senior Bs" she should get 2 Grand Prix assignments per year.

    But I'm guilty for always cheering for the old ladies (Butyrskaya, Suguri, Kostner).
    Problem with getting 2 assignments is that there may be max 9 Russian ladies having 2 assignments (max 18 spots) and as it also depends on the host federations who they invite, more realistically it will be just 7-8 Russian ladies having two assignments. So Leonova would have to skate such way that Russia Federation would want to submit her name for assignments. I do think she has a chance for 2 assignments the next season, but as soon as those four from junior move to seniors, you have too many ladies needing assignments. If they all are skating the same way as they skated this season, I can imagine the Federation giving two assignments to Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Pogorilaya, Sakhanovich, Proklova, Sotskova and Medvedeva. I know, someone may be injured and one of the youngsters may struggle with puberty, but there are still left skaters like Artemeva, Gosviani and Tuktamysheva, so those three and Leonova are going to fight for a spot that may become free if someone is injured or struggles with puberty. I think the chances of Leonova getting two spots will be zero. But the next season, while Sakhanovich, Proklova, Sotskova and Medvedeva are still ineligible, Leonova still has a chance.

  9. #509

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,737
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    887
    ^Sakhanovich, Proklova, Sotskova, and Medvedeva will all be back on the JGP next year as the age minimum will increase to 15 (to match senior championships) from 14.

  10. #510

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,662
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16524
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    ^Sakhanovich, Proklova, Sotskova, and Medvedeva will all be back on the JGP next year as the age minimum will increase to 15 (to match senior championships) from 14.
    I know, that's what I have said. The next season Lenova still has a chance to get two spots. But the season after she is stuffed. Too many ladies and if she skates like she does now and all the current juniors can do 7 triples program, the Russian Federation will retire her. All it needs is not submitting her name for GP events. Then her career will be only several B competitions until she quits.

  11. #511

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,737
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    887
    Sorry, I need to read better

  12. #512
    Cruder than you thought
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    All choked up
    Posts
    19,298
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39146
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    ETA: got the jumps wrong. She is talking about 3loop+half loop (euler) + 3loop. Am baffled. Why would she need a half loop between the 3loop/3loop? Why would she change the leg there? It would make sense for a 3s/half loop/3s... Taking the interview is by Simonenko I trust he wrote down the jumps correctly....
    I'm wondering if they mean 3loop/loop/3loop. Half loop is really a full rotation but landed on the back inside edge - it would be a similar thing, but landing the single rotation loop on the back right edge and taking right off into the second 3loop.

    Wondering if this sequence would be viewed favorably.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

  13. #513

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,346
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8369
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Leonova was interviewed by Rsport.ru. She says she has no competitions this season and will be working towards the next. She is not planning going to the USA for the whole summer and should Morozov go there with his group she will be thinking what to do and where to train. Her goal is 2018 Olympics. She have been working on a 3loop+half loop + 3loop combination, says it's quite unusual but works for her


    ETA: got the jumps wrong. She is talking about 3loop+half loop (euler) + 3loop. Am baffled. Why would she need a half loop between the 3loop/3loop? Why would she change the leg there? It would make sense for a 3s/half loop/3s... Taking the interview is by Simonenko I trust he wrote down the jumps correctly....
    Thanks so much for all the translations, by the way! Forgot to mention it earlier.

    I'm betting Simonenko meant 3loop-half loop-3sal? (I'm hoping). This would make the most sense to maximize her jumping TES. She could still do the 3toe-3toe, repeat the 3flip, do the 3flutz, and 2 double axels. Plus it would have both troublesome edge jumps done with in one pass if she could get it consistent. 3sal-half loop-3sal works too but isn't as good for TES.

    Sokolova used to do a 3sal-half loop-3loop sequence, but there was a turn in between the half loop and the loop (which is necessary) and I doubt under COP she could do such a sequence to make it even count at 80%; it would be probably be counted as two separate jumping passes: 3sal+1loop and 3sal.

    Oh god, I've thought entirely too much about this. : Go Perkova!

  14. #514
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,182
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    The Russian Fed can get Leonova two GP spots if they want to give her a host spot. They can leave a TBD and force another Fed to give her a guaranteed spot, and then give her a TBD later.

    Of course, they can pull a Sokolova/Sandhu and not enter her name, but if they do that, what are the chances of them assigning her to Senior B's? Not being submitted for a guaranteed GP by the Fed usually means, "Go away."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  15. #515

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,662
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16524
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I'm wondering if they mean 3loop/loop/3loop. Half loop is really a full rotation but landed on the back inside edge - it would be a similar thing, but landing the single rotation loop on the back right edge and taking right off into the second 3loop.

    Wondering if this sequence would be viewed favorably.
    3loop/loop/3loop would be a really weird (and stupid) thing to do! If it was indeed a single loop in the middle, why bother with 3-1-3 when you can do 3-2-2 and the result is very comparable point-wise. If it meant 3loop-1/2loop-3loop. then it doesn't make sense at all. After half loop you end up on the back inside left edge. Doing the 3 Loop after that means that you have to step on the right leg -back outside edge, which means that it isn't combination any more, it is a jump sequence and therefore you have only 80% of the base value counted. Half loop has a sense to do only if you plan to add a flip or a Salchow, not a loop! By adding a loop you changed it from combination to a sequence. So if she meant 3L-1L-3S or 3L-1L-3F, it makes sense. If she meant 3L-1L-3L, it is weird.

  16. #516

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,284
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The Russian Fed can get Leonova two GP spots if they want to give her a host spot. They can leave a TBD and force another Fed to give her a guaranteed spot, and then give her a TBD later.

    Of course, they can pull a Sokolova/Sandhu and not enter her name, but if they do that, what are the chances of them assigning her to Senior B's? Not being submitted for a guaranteed GP by the Fed usually means, "Go away."
    Will the presidents statement that worlds is for new blood and younger people be expanded to gp? That is why leonova was vetoed for worlds and can't go to worlds but is that expanded to gp or senior bs. Maybe they are hoping they don't have to do stuff like that again like they did to sokolova. Leonova has been retired as an option for worlds. Do they have to retire her from gp and senior b as well or does she get the message? She may be hoping she can see herself In a situation where she can go to worlds again.

  17. #517
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,182
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    I did not say height OR distance: I said height AND distance.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rd1bEp4Prc

    Joubert received barely negative GOE (-.14) on a 4T/2T combo with not much distance and a tilted forward landing on the 4T and a muscled 2T. (The female announcer yells, "Magnifique!") Right after that, he had decent, but not spectacular distance on the solo 4T with no complexity on the landing or entry, for 1.29 GOE.

    He seemed to get more distance after the quad in the SP, and his lean on the 4T landing was less pronounced, with the 3T a lot tighter, but on average, the judges thought it wasn't even .5 better than his FS attempt.:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Frp6_A49U
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  18. #518
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,182
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Will the presidents statement that worlds is for new blood and younger people be expanded to gp?
    The number of entries per country to GP's isn't limited the way it is for Euros or Worlds. The only reason for a Fed to not allow a skater to take his or her guaranteed spot(s) or to make it know to other hosts that the skater shouldn't be taken off the alternates list (for a first or second) is to sink the skater and/or keep him/her from besting the favorites (by making GPF, for example). Normally, it makes sense for a Federation to have as many skaters as possible at GPs, to earn WS points and SB's, for starting order at championships and GP's, to earn GPs, and to block other skaters from getting GPs.

    If they didn't want to allow Leonova to be competitive, they didn't have to send her to Euros. What if Lipnitskaia had had her Olys SP in Budapest? That could have stirred things up WRT Olympics selection. There was nothing to stop them from choosing Pogorilaya, if she was healthy: despite a poor SP, she beat Leonova in the FS, and she made GPF.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  19. #519
    Cruder than you thought
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    All choked up
    Posts
    19,298
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39146
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    3loop/loop/3loop would be a really weird (and stupid) thing to do! If it was indeed a single loop in the middle, why bother with 3-1-3 when you can do 3-2-2 and the result is very comparable point-wise. If it meant 3loop-1/2loop-3loop. then it doesn't make sense at all. After half loop you end up on the back inside left edge. Doing the 3 Loop after that means that you have to step on the right leg -back outside edge, which means that it isn't combination any more, it is a jump sequence and therefore you have only 80% of the base value counted. Half loop has a sense to do only if you plan to add a flip or a Salchow, not a loop! By adding a loop you changed it from combination to a sequence. So if she meant 3L-1L-3S or 3L-1L-3F, it makes sense. If she meant 3L-1L-3L, it is weird.
    If they gave the 1loop a 0.5 value, doing a 3-1-3loop would be 2 points base value more than 3-2-2loop (10.7 vs 8.7), which is actually quite meaningful. I think when they score the 3loop-half loop-3salchow, they actually assign the half loop that 0.5 point value of a loop. So, doing a 3-1-3loop would be a similar strategy to the loop-half loop-salchow sequence, but worth a little more because of the second triple being a loop.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

  20. #520

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,662
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16524
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The number of entries per country to GP's isn't limited the way it is for Euros or Worlds. The only reason for a Fed to not allow a skater to take his or her guaranteed spot(s) or to make it know to other hosts that the skater shouldn't be taken off the alternates list (for a first or second) is to sink the skater and/or keep him/her from besting the favorites (by making GPF, for example). Normally, it makes sense for a Federation to have as many skaters as possible at GPs, to earn WS points and SB's, for starting order at championships and GP's, to earn GPs, and to block other skaters from getting GPs.
    Actually, I disagree. The number of skaters per country in GP is limited. You can't have more than 3 skaters from the same country per event and there is only six events , which means that there is max 18 spots per country. In addition, one also needs to consider that the host countries are choosing who to invite, so the chances are that they may not choose to have three Russians at their event and therefore Russia won't have 18 places but perhaps some 14-16 places in total. If you are Russian skating federation and have 14-16 places and many talented skaters, you will prioritize the better ones and not submit the worse ones. So if you had the following eligible: Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Pogorilaya, Sakhanovich, Proklova, Sotskova and Medvedeva and assuming that they skated as well as they skated this season, you as a skating Federation would know that there is no point submitting for assignment Artemeva, Gosviani, Tuktamysheva, Korobeynikova and Leonova (assuming that they also skated the way they did this season) because you would want the better 8-9 of them have 2 assignments rather than some of them having two and the majority having just one. You want the best to have a chance to get into GPF. Saying that, Russian Federation is well aware of that. They are very picky who they put on their international team. I don't think they will want to have there 13 senior ladies, so they will cut it down (and then not submit their names for GP events).

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •