Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Still Nancy had a lot of bratty behavior before and after the Olympics, but was never labeled or punished for it.
    Didn't she suffer some major public backlash after the Olympics?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Hell, yes, a lot of criticism, and she appeared to lose some endorsements (eg: Mattel opted not to continue with the Nancy doll after that).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Nancy certainly wasn't treated as the media "darling" some expected her to be.
    When she did appear, she didn't always skate particularly well, either.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Anyone else watching the ESPN documentary The Price of Gold right now? Apparently lots of people in the US are, as half of the top 10 trends on twitter are Harding/Kerrigan related! It is fabulous, by the way, loving this trip down memory lane.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Tonya Harding on Kerrigan's makeup comments before the medal ceremony:

"Just shut up! No one wants to hear your whining. just shut up".

Oh Tonya. I love you.

vCash
    Yes- I'm watching.

vCash
    Ooh boy, if Tonya wanted to gain sympathy, it isn't working

vCash
    Yes- no acknowledgement that it was all of her own making.

vCash
    Her 'childhood friend' just called it- her 'tragic flaw is her inability to take responsibility.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i thought they were pretty kind to tonya
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Tonya Harding on Kerrigan's makeup comments before the medal ceremony:

"Just shut up! No one wants to hear your whining. just shut up".

Oh Tonya. I love you.
    Tonya said that comment right after crying her eyes out about never getting the marks she deserved. She is the least self-aware person alive.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Tonya said that comment right after crying her eyes out about never getting the marks she deserved. She is the least self-aware person alive.
    True, but Nancy was crying about only getting her 2nd Olympic medal and was disappointed it was silver, not gold.

They were quite the pair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    True, but Nancy was crying about only getting her 2nd Olympic medal and was disappointed it was silver, not gold.

They were quite the pair.
    So it doesn't matter if you were screwed out of a placement as long as you got a medal? Right. I'm sure Tonya never complained about results if she at least got a medal.

Only in figure skating can you be chastised for being disappointed about not winning. And people wonder why some mock the sport.

vCash
    Looks like NBA player Stephen Curry was watching the Tonya/Nancy show as well.

Stephen Curry ‏@StephenCurry30 1h
    Next bad play I'm blaming my busted shoelace and asking for a redo lol

vCash
    Copying my comments from the other thread, here:

THANK YOU to Paul Wylie for stating that Nancy's technical content was higher than Oksana's. Too bad that the "Eastern Block" countries plus IIRC China gave Oksana higher tech marks than she deserved and lowballed Nancy's clean 3-lutz and 3-3 combo.

Also loved him for saying flat-out that Tonya deserved to be banned from the sport.
    This!

It was interesting that her "childhood friend" said that Tonya had always avoided taking responsibility for her actions; which is still the case.

Nancy can't be blamed for refusing to be interviewed.
    However, that made the program more "All About Tonya" and her "ruined" life than it should have been.

vCash
    I don't know- in a way, it IS Tonya's story because she initiated the act (unless you believe her when she says she didn't know). Neither Tonya nor Nancy truly 'fit' the image that the skating powers that be wanted at that time, but where Nancy conformed, Tonya rebelled, and I could totally be on her side in one moment when she's telling off the judge who complains about her dress, but then she keeps talking, and all that goes away very quickly. I want to root for her, but she makes it impossible for me to do so.

I also am glad that Paul flat out said that she should be banned- althought that's a no-brainer. What is interesting is trying to figure out how she got so F@&'d up that she can't even figure out why she deserves to be banned.

vCash
    It was a very interesting documentary, but in the end, it just convinces you that Tonya has never and will never change - it's always someone else's fault, never hers. As Connie Chung noted, Tonya could be smart and play things well in interviews, as she did here initially. However, the "real Tonya" and her bitterness came out in the last third. There was a review on the Awful Announcing site (which unfortunately is now down) that pointed out how the more the interview went on, the angrier and more bitter Tonya became, especially toward Nancy. She complained about Nancy being treated like a princess and her being treated like crap, how Nancy was "rude" to her by not accepting her apology for what the people around her did to Nancy, and then the "crybaby" comment about Nancy and her silver medal. Her hatred of Nancy came through pretty loud and clear, which completely blew out any sympathy you might have felt for her earlier. As the reviewer put it, how can you sympathize with her (and believe her) when her hatred of her former rival is still present and so obvious?

Most telling were the comments of her friend Saundra, who shot that documentary done when Tonya was 15, footage of which is featured at the beginning. She said she had never answered the question as to whether or not Tonya was involved from the beginning in the attack for 20 years. She finally answered with, "of course she was involved" and made the comment that Tonya would never take responsibility for herself for anything. Very, very sad.

One anecdote: Tonya now claims Shaun Eckhardt was NEVER her bodyguard, just some "friend" of her ex-husband's. I remember her referring to Shaun as her bodyguard in more than one interview in 1994. Typical Tonya revisionist history...
    Last edited by Yazmeen; 01-17-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    So it doesn't matter if you were screwed out of a placement as long as you got a medal? Right. I'm sure Tonya never complained about results if she at least got a medal.

Only in figure skating can you be chastised for being disappointed about not winning. And people wonder why some mock the sport.
    ... even I am starting to think about mocking it for not being a sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    One anecdote: Tonya now claims Shaun Eckhardt was NEVER her bodyguard, just some "friend" of her ex-husband's. I remember her referring to Shaun as her bodyguard in more than one interview in 1994. Typical Tonya revisionist history...
    No surprise but Tonya is a master at changing stories. Watch Oprah's head spin just four years ago after hearing a a different pack of lies from Tonya. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6amTGmrBpA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrin View Post
    I don't know- in a way, it IS Tonya's story because she initiated the act (unless you believe her when she says she didn't know).
    It's possible that she did know but didn't initiate it.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast