Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

How is your vision?

My prescription (spherical) is -3.50, -3.25; astigmatism (cylinder) is -0.75, -1.00. That's from a year and a half ago, and my vision is definitely worse now, but I haven't gotten it checked yet.

I feel like my vision is pretty bad. I can't even apply makeup in my bathroom mirror without glasses. The sucky thing is that in just around 3 years, I've gone from -2.00 to the current. I worry about how much worse it will get before stabilizing.

At the same time, I know there are people with waaaay worse prescriptions.

So how is your vision?

vCash
    Mine is -3.75 and -3.25. I have a small astigmatism that is corrected for in my glasses but it isn't bad enough to need weighted contacts.
    I can't see further than my arm's length without my glasses, and can't use the bathroom mirror unless I'm very close to it, but I can read without contacts/glasses in.

My vision was all the way to -4.5 at one point in high school. The cause of that was not taking care of my contacts- I slept in them a bit. It got better (-3.5 ish) when I got night/day contacts; but then I had a corneal ulcer so I had to stop wearing contacts for 5 years. I can wear them again, but only wear dailies now, and only on special occasions. Otherwise I wear glasses.

When I went from -3 to -4.5 in two years span, they tested me for diabetes. If you have gone from -2 to -3.5, I'd recommend asking for the same test.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 01-13-2014 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Sense any make doesn't post your. Problem dyslexia a have you could?

vCash
    I don't know my numbers offhand, but I'm moderately to severely nearsighted. I had my eyes checked, oh, probably two or three years ago? And I was completely fine. About a year ago, though, I noticed that I has having trouble with reading signs at night or prices at the movie theater, so when we got our vision insurance back I went in for an exam. It's amazing when you put glasses on for the first time and you're like, wow, I didn't realize how blind I was.

vCash
    I have no idea about the numbers, but I noticed in the last couple of years it has gotten worse in terms of being able to see detail (I am 47). It more affecting being able to thread needles when I sew (thankfully my new sewing machine has an automatic needle threader) or read the small writing on food packets.

I do have glasses for distance which I use mainly at the movies or theatre, judging skating or sometimes if driving at night I put them on just to bring things into focus better. Otherwise my eye sight really isn't that bad. Just compared to what it used to be I now really notice a difference.

In Australia you can get your eye tests done for free under the national health system here (yes that is correct). So I had the whole gammit of testing, including glaucoma.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 01-13-2014 at 11:40 PM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    -9.0 and -8.75 nearsighted. +1.5 the other way requiring reading glasses over contacts. Astigmatism. Degenerating vitreous which causes foggy patches in my line of vision. Cataract growing pretty rapidly on one eye. Thinning retina which could eventually detach, hemorrhage or tear. Severe photosensitivity even requiring sun glasses inside in certain light.

And I am hardly over 40.

Glad I could make you feel better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    -9.0 and -8.75 nearsighted. +1.5 the other way requiring reading glasses over contacts. Astigmatism. Degenerating vitreous which causes foggy patches in my line of vision. Cataract growing pretty rapidly on one eye. Thinning retina which could eventually detach, hemorrhage or tear. Severe photosensitivity even requiring sun glasses inside in certain light.

And I am hardly over 40.

Glad I could make you feel better.
    (((PDilemma)))

Have you had poor vision as long as you can remember, or did it start later in life?

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    -9.75 in good eye and -11 in bad eye but my vision has gotten worse and I need a new prescription but can't afford new glasses so living in a slightly blurry world. I am actually scared to see how bad numbers are now

Basically I can't function without my glasses on at all times and if I put them in a different spot before bed or shower and don't remember where that is I am screwed
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Beyond legally blind without correction (I asked my opthamologist, so, it's what, 20/400 or something? He said "I don't really know, we don't have a giant 'E' on the outside of the building to test you". Smart ass). But correctable to 20/20 still.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    (((PDilemma)))

Have you had poor vision as long as you can remember, or did it start later in life?
    My vision has been bad since early elementary school. The retinal issue runs in my family causing nearsightedness of varying severity and contributes to my vitreous issue, the early cataract, and the light sensitivity. My mother's prescription was around -22 in her worst eye before cataract surgery and while better than that after, cannot be corrected to 20/20. She is just above the threshold for legally blind (and, for the record, there is no such thing as "legally blind without correction"--if your vision can be corrected to near 20/20 you are simply not legally blind) and can no longer drive and has difficulty with many normal tasks due to low vision. She has had hemorrhages in her retinas resulting in blank spots in her vision, has had small holes repaired and has had two major eye surgeries (not laser procedures). I very well may have the same future.

On the up side, if you're going somewhere with her, you have the perfect excuse to buy good seats. We got the second row for Nats last year.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Horrible. -8-something in one eye and -10-something in another. I can't see 3 inches in front of my face clearly. I'm starting to get persistent floaters (not unusual for someone with such bad eyesight because my eyeball is so long), but retina still looks good, according to opthamologist.

The good part is I haven't changed my prescription since high school (yeah, it was THAT BAD in high school!), so it's entirely genetic and not degenerative. Until I hit the regular old age stuff. I'm just so used to having bad vision when taking a shower or waking up, it honestly doesn't bother me anymore. But people put on my glasses and go

I'm really glad Alf has perfect vision. Our kids have a fighting chance!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Horrible. -8-something in one eye and -10-something in another. I can't see 3 inches in front of my face clearly. I'm starting to get persistent floaters (not unusual for someone with such bad eyesight because my eyeball is so long), but retina still looks good, according to opthamologist.

The good part is I haven't changed my prescription since high school (yeah, it was THAT BAD in high school!), so it's entirely genetic and not degenerative. Until I hit the regular old age stuff. I'm just so used to having bad vision when taking a shower or waking up, it honestly doesn't bother me anymore. But people put on my glasses and go

I'm really glad Alf has perfect vision. Our kids have a fighting chance!
    Floaters can be because the vitreous is prematurely degenerating. It is normal for it to degenerate in your 60s or 70s. If it starts it in your 30s or 40s...well, I can tell you about that. None of it is pleasant and the treatment options are not good. Removing and replacing it with an artificial one is too risky when you are that young. There are days when I am seeing through a veil and nothing is clear no matter what. Then I can hardly read and can get eyestrain and headaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    -9.75 in good eye and -11 in bad eye but my vision has gotten worse and I need a new prescription but can't afford new glasses so living in a slightly blurry world. I am actually scared to see how bad numbers are now
    Have you looked at one of the online places like Zenni or 39dollarglasses? I got a super cheap pair of backup glasses to keep in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    What are floaters?

vCash
    Have you looked at one of the online places like Zenni or 39dollarglasses? I got a super cheap pair of backup glasses to keep in the car.

What are floaters?
    For those of us with high prescriptions, cheap glasses are not usually an option.

Explanation of floaters:

http://geteyesmart2-px.ezlcl.com/eye...rs-flashes.cfm

Mine are so bad that they are like a foggy veil that sometimes covers my sight completely in one or both eyes. On those days, everything looks slightly cloudy and out of focus. If I were 25-30 yrs older, they could remove my vitreous and replace it with an artificial one, but the side effects and longevity of the artificial ones make it too much of a risk for someone my age.

I also have flashes because parts of the vitreous can harden and sit on or even pull on the retina which causes flashes--the retina's way of telling the brain something is wrong.
    Last edited by PDilemma; 01-14-2014 at 03:45 AM. Reason: fix link

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Floaters can be because the vitreous is prematurely degenerating. It is normal for it to degenerate in your 60s or 70s. If it starts it in your 30s or 40s...well, I can tell you about that. None of it is pleasant and the treatment options are not good. Removing and replacing it with an artificial one is too risky when you are that young. There are days when I am seeing through a veil and nothing is clear no matter what. Then I can hardly read and can get eyestrain and headaches.
    Yeah, I really only have one persistent floater, and it's actually quite small. I barely notice it anymore, and it's honestly gotten lighter. I've taken to calling him Ralph.

I did get it looked at, and the opthamologist dilated my pupils and shone that bright light in both my eyes and it was FUN (not). He said my retinas didn't have cracks in them, which was good, but that floaters were going to be kind of a fact of life given how long my eyeballs are. The vitreous starts to separate a bit and pull on the retina, which is why they checked my retinas so thoroughly.

My parents are in their 60s, and I don't think my dad's vision (which is worse than mine) has degenerated to where he's seeing through a veil. He can't focus as easily, but I think that's normal for someone his age. I worry more about his back, because his posture is horrible.

What are floaters?
    They look like little pieces of dust that float through your field of vision. It can be from dead cells from your retina pulling off and floating in the jelly in your eyeball, or the jelly in your eyeball separating and the floaters are the pieces. It's common for people with extreme nearsightedness because our eyeballs are so long, and things start getting pulled apart.

I've gotten the "fireflies" ever since I was a kid, but they only happen when I look at something at an extreme angle. Like, as far to the left or right my eyeball can go. Usually when I shave my armpits. The opthamologist said as long as something isn't out of the ordinary, I should be fine for the foreseeable future.

Poster of Pet Vines
    Guess: StirRapidly+Anti+LargestHumanOrgan
    vCash
    I was as bad as a -10 in each eye, but then got a little age-related presbyopia and it retreated to -9. That affected my closeup vision so that basically I naturally see NOTHING clearly.
    I wore contacts from the age of 19, as the glasses for that level of prescription are terribly expensive, making the yearly cost fairly equal. PDilemma is right, you can't get cheap lenses, most opticians won't make that level of prescription out of anything but the highest refractive materials, and optometrists and opthamalogists won't prescribe it if they can help it. Also, glasses (unlike contacts) cannot correct enough to get good vision at that prescription. It makes you a bit of an owl as there's only a very small part of the lens that works to view through.

Now - my sister who has ok vision, like a -4 (best eyesight out of 8 people in my family), got cursed with a +2.5 presbyopia. She wears bifocal contacts usually. I never have needed bifocals, which is just plain weird.

I got Lasik almost 2 years ago. Changed my life. I have mono vision, so one eye is tuned more for seeing up close and the other for distances. The natural night halos that I saw before the surgery is worse…I'll probably have night driving glasses in a few years, but apparently at 20/20, you non-glasses people get by without the clear, crisp vision that my contacts used to give me. A clean pair of contacts used to give me 20/15, but I'm between a 20/20 and a 20/30 depending on how tired my eyes are now. Still, no maintenance and no "zombie eye" due to allergies (irritated eyes do not like contacts) made it worth the cost of the Lasik.
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

vCash
    It's pretty terrible. It's -6.25 in one eye and -5.50 in the other. On the plus side, it's been stable for about four years now. I had a bout of iritis that really hurt my vision in my right eye.

I've never tried Zenni, but I've had friends who've had good experiences. I'm kind of reluctant to use it, because I like trying on my frames. Also, I see glasses as an investment, and since my prescription is really high, I know that I've had to opt for the higher quality lenses as the cheaper ones were super thick.

I primarily wear contacts anyway. But my insurance doesn't cover the brand I use. I've had allergic reactions to a very popular brand, so I'm very reluctant to change the brand I use, which I love. I only had a $150 allowance, which really doesn't cover much when you add up the fitting, doctor's visit, etc. And it only covers contacts OR glasses, not both. I use glasses when I'm home and contacts most of the time, and I find a lot of people use a combination of both. But it's really expensive

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Mine are around -3.75 or so. I feel completely blind without my contacts but I know some people with far worse. I can't imagine! I have noticed my right eye is worse, even with contacts things are often blurry. I will probably need that prescription increased soon but I have felt that way for a couple of years and the Dr. keeps it the same or raises it at the same rate as my left.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    -12.75 and -14 with mild astigmatism +050 and +025. In the last couple of years also require reading correction of +225 and my progressive lenses cost more than 5 times the not-inexpensive frames. I have had floaters as long as I can remember but I would describe them more as shadowy stringy things - sort of what those things you see in a microscope that wriggle around in liquid - only mine don't wriggle but float gently around. I have probably been aware of them so long because with my sever short-sightedness they are almost in focus. Without my glasses my nose gets in the way because I have to hold what I am reading within an inch of my eye. There is also a family history of glaucoma.

The good news is my ophthalmologist tests me every year and unlike others my age I don't have to pay because the doctor deems it medically necessary. Also, so far it is all correctable with lenses. There is even an upside in that without my glasses on I can read the impossibly tiny instructions printed on the backs of cans, tubes, etc. because having to hold it so close to my eye makes it like I have my own built in magnifying glass. Works great for threading needles and removing splinters too.

vCash
    IIRC I'm -5.25 with both eyes and very mild astigmatism, not enough to warrant switching from my regular contacts. I'm tired of contacts and glasses and want to save up for lasik. I was doing well then one car acted up. There went the lasik $$. :/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast