Tranquillo
    vCash

Need Coffee Recommendation for Gift

I want to get some coffee for someone as a gift (whole beans or ground, not the "K" cups), but I don't drink coffee and have no idea what would make a nice gift. I want to get them something they likely haven't tried before, so any recommendations for a nice local/regional company or something with an interesting flavor would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Can you get Stumptown coffee beans? They're originally from Portland.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Heh. I was just about to make the same suggestion. I'm no connoisseur, but I love Bella Donovan, Three Africans, and Giant Steps.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Thanks for the suggestions! Whichever ones I don't use this time, I'll bookmark since I like to get specialty food gifts for a number of events. I know people will like them and they won't add to clutter. These look great!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    All of the brands I buy are local/regional for the Vancouver areas, so naming them wouldn't help you much. I do encourage you to select a Fair Trade and Rainforest Alliance (or similar) certified brand, though. For a luxury item like coffee, it's pretty bad karma to give a gift that exploits workers or devastates natural habitats.

JMO
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 12-15-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Hey, Artemis, got an iPhone? iPad? Bad karma.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Granted there are few things one can buy that don't exploit workers, but coffee is one where we do have a choice. Adding to Fair Trade and Rainforest Alliance, there's also a Just-us brand in a few places( in Canada at least) which has some fabulous beans. I'm not fond of flavoured coffees - but they abound. Vienna has a hint of cardamom, and there are lots of liqueur variations that sound particularly festive. Starbucks and Second Cup have a pretty good reputation as far as treating workers in their shops, AND a reasonable rep as far as paying fair prices go. I have also seen a new brand (I think Asanti) which is marketed by independent growers. Not a lot of flavours in that one, but a good coffee.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Hey, Artemis, got an iPhone? iPad? Bad karma.
    I don't actually. But I don't see how that has anything to do with choosing which brand of coffee buy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I want to get some coffee for someone as a gift (whole beans or ground, not the "K" cups), but I don't drink coffee and have no idea what would make a nice gift. I want to get them something they likely haven't tried before, so any recommendations for a nice local/regional company or something with an interesting flavor would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Don't know where you are but I do have some suggestions. Do you know if your friends prefer light, medium or dark? That might narrow things down. How do they feel about the flavoured coffees? While I love coffee, the flavoured ones make me feel nauseous. De-caf? And you might want to consider the free trade ones if you're inclined that way.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Don't know where you are but I do have some suggestions. Do you know if your friends prefer light, medium or dark? That might narrow things down. How do they feel about the flavoured coffees? While I love coffee, the flavoured ones make me feel nauseous. De-caf? And you might want to consider the free trade ones if you're inclined that way.
    I've got some great suggestions and am set now for Christmas, but if you have other suggestions, I'd appreciate them. I like to bookmark a variety of unique food sites to keep for reference. Coffee and tea are always popular gifts. My family tends to prefer medium blend as a daily coffee, but will drink others every so often for treats. Non-flavored is also the choice for daily drinking, but they'll use flavored for leisurely Sunday morning breakfasts.

vCash
    Any Arabica from Costa Rica would do, IMO. As a coffee lover, I would recommend whole beans, not ground.

vCash
    Green Mountain Coffee has a good selection. Some Fair Trade options, too, and they're very environmentally conscious.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard good things about Tonx from coffee geeks. You might want to check their gift guide too.
    https://tonx.org/frequency/gift-guide

vCash
    I don't know if it's fair trade, but some friends from college started Pike Creek Coffee several years ago.
    http://www.pikecreekcoffee.com/

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, whole beans please.

from Speedy Death

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Peace Coffee out of Minneapolis is Fair Trade & Organic - I've liked every roast I've gotten from them, especially the Twin Cities Blend. They take online orders.

http://www.peacecoffee.com/