Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    .....one of the things that Carroll taught Kostner and Gold needed to learn.... is to be patient and not to rush the timing. .
    Yeah, that's why Kostner did so well at the Vancouver Olympics!

By the way, the Swan Lake that everyone knows is from 1895 (Ivanov & Petipa choreography) and not 1875, as you claim. Also...what Four Seasons ballet is from 1723? Glazunov had not been born yet.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I hope she has a great US Nationals. Her programs really aren't bad, and her LP to Sleeping Beauty is growing on me the more that I see it (she looks the part of Aurora. And when she relaxes more the choreography suits the music, though not spectacular. There is no marching in this one.). Theres an obvious improvement in her movement quality and I would expect to see her right in the mix with anybody if she's gotten more consistent this past month with Frank. I think she's on the cusp of greatness, she's got great spin speed too you can really see it in the performance posted of her new SP. Music will work really well in Russia I think and with Olympic judges and media's eyes on it, it's more accessible. Plus she has to take her time with the movements to make it work, so it automatically makes her improved less-rushed movement quality more apparent to the judges than her previous SP did. I think it was a smart change for that reason alone, plus the music is more beautiful to listen to. Hopefully Gracie warrior princess shows up in Boston.

vCash
    She is basically Nancy Kerrigan. Incredibly American, nice moves but zero bite. She needs some sort of void.

Love the retake idea....lets look at that further

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    FTR, I refuse to believe Carroll taught Kostner anything.
    Sure he has. There's just not enough time for everything to come together. She was very good at Worlds and thereafter. It couldn't (all) have been Huth because he was never able to get her to slow down the first time 'round, but she has wondering pacing now.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Yeah, that's why Kostner did so well at the Vancouver Olympics!
    Kostner, like Joubert, has performed notoriously badly at the Olympics. Like most things -- Asada's jump technique, Rochette's lutz, as examples -- lessons can take a while to sink in.

By the way, the Swan Lake that everyone knows is from 1895 (Ivanov & Petipa choreography) and not 1875, as you claim.
    I had forgotten that Ivanov and Petipa were composers. I thought they were choreographers. I suppose Reisinger choreographed his 1877 ballet to Drigo. Oh, wait, it was Drigo who revised the Tchaikovsky score for the 1895 production, and he hardly re-wrote the entire score.

Also...what Four Seasons ballet is from 1723? Glazunov had not been born yet.
    I don't remember Gershwin choreographing any ballets. Neither did Vivaldi, although he did work at a girls' school, so it's always possible.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Watch me move
    vCash

By the way, the Swan Lake that everyone knows is from 1895 (Ivanov & Petipa choreography) and not 1875, as you claim.
    How do you know which version of Swan Lake is the one that "everyone" knows? There are people here other than yourself who might be familiar with more than one version.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sure he has. There's just not enough time for everything to come together. She was very good at Worlds and thereafter. It couldn't (all) have been Huth because he was never able to get her to slow down the first time 'round, but she has wondering pacing now.
    ITA, Marco. Also in terms of costuming, something seemed to brush off re Frank's influence for the short time Carolina was training in the U.S. and afterward during her winning season (2011-2012). This season beautiful Carolina seems once again to be having the odd ill-fitting costume influences tripping her up.

Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    She is basically Nancy Kerrigan. Incredibly American, nice moves but zero bite. She needs some sort of void.

Well I have to disagree. Nancy Kerrigan is her own self, as is Gracie Gold.

Are you equating figure skaters being "American" with having "nice moves but zero bite." Interesting take you have there. Can we explore that further?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    How do you know which version of Swan Lake is the one that "everyone" knows? There are people here other than yourself who might be familiar with more than one version.
    The 1875 Moscow version -- the one for which Tchaikovsky wrote the music -- was a bomb and never presented after the initial production (1-2 years, max). The score lay dormant until resurrected in St. Petersburg in the early 1890s, with one act presented as a tribute to the composer following his death then finally in 1895, a full St Petersburg-Mariinsky version upon which most standard 20th & 21st versions are based.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    And who re-wrote the music that was used for the 1895 version? Drigo rearranged it and dumped the original Black Swan Pas de Deux, which Balanchine resurrected for his stand-along "Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux." (Had it remained, the score to "Black Swan" would have been quite different.)

From a choreography standpoint, which has little to do with what we see on the ice, little of what is presented as a full-length "Swan Lake" today, aside from sections of a few set pieces (mostly by Ivanov), has any resemblance to what Petipa and Ivanov put on stage in 1895. The Soviet companies saw to that with the wholesale changes made over many decades, despite the existence of Stepanov notation, which, for many ballets, codified changes that had been made in the first decade of performance and don't represent the originals.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post

Disagree. GG's jumps are a bit more explosive and that draws you in (when she is on)

vCash
    Much more dynamic spinner, too.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Wow! I like it!!!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    FTR, I refuse to believe Carroll taught Kostner anything.
    Her arms into the 3F, she learned to use her arms going into the 3F from Frank... she used to go into the 3F as flat as a board It was horrible to watch, and one of the major reasons I thought her early programs were yucky.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Her arms into the 3F, she learned to use her arms going into the 3F from Frank... she used to go into the 3F as flat as a board
    With her fists clenched.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    a saw GG train at the Toyota Center with Frank Carroll and was blown away by her, so graceful, so powerful, so world class, etc. There may be a very short video clip of her practice, I am trying to get them to upload and share with you guys.

OK, here's the video. GG comes out of upper left corner diagonally across the ice at about 0:07. It's very short. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyHd...ature=youtu.be
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    That is the most arch her back has ever had on a cross over. I can see it. I'm ready to give her the OGM right now

Thanks for posting, she does look very fit and that was a nice triple salchow combination. I can see lots of progress in her movement in the clip for sure, I'm thinking I'll be loving Sleeping Beauty this week

vCash
    Just hit your jumps Gracie just hit your jumps they are what will get you on the Olympic team.

vCash
    Here is another nice practice session from today from Gracie. I hope the link works.

http://framingham.patch.com/groups/s...t-loring-arena

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    You know honestly that was a lot better than I remember seeing her skate in the past. Her triple loop is so easy it is like a double.

Am I just biased because she's using music my darlin Freakin' Liahsneko used so well?
    Last edited by Taso; 01-07-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Just adding compliments

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Camel View Post
    Here is another nice practice session from today from Gracie. I hope the link works.

http://framingham.patch.com/groups/s...t-loring-arena
    Thanks. Gracie looks really lovely in this practice session.

O-

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast