View Poll Results: Which Of The Businesses On This List Do You Support?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Don't Support Any Of Them

2 7.14%
  • McDonald's

8 28.57%
  • Starbucks

12 42.86%
  • Dollar General

1 3.57%
  • The Gap

3 10.71%
  • TJ Maxx

2 7.14%
  • Target

11 39.29%
  • Wal-Mart

9 32.14%
  • CVS Caremark (includes London Drugs)

8 28.57%
  • Best Buy

8 28.57%
  • AT&T Wireless

4 14.29%
  • I've Shopped At All Of Them At Some Point

7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    From what i've read, Starbucks is a pretty good place to work. Even part timers get benefits (healthcare). They seem to treat their employees well and the tips are good. But, I've never worked there, so...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    ITA. The people that will be hurt are the low wage employees. The people at the top will lay off many employees and continue to collect their high salaries. Their stocks and bonuses will go up while their employees may not have money to pay their mortgage or put food on the table.
    The way I look at it, I'm going to buy things somewhere. So, if I choose to spend my money where employees are treated better (and my tax money isn't needed to pay for food stamps for the employees to be able to feed their families), then I am just providing employment for someone else. If my spending employs more people at a place like Costco than at Walmart, I'm good with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    It's a little funny how the term "minimum wage" was invented...but never the term "maximum wage".
    How can there be a maximum wage? Who would have the right to determine how much a person can earn? A minimum is different, that protects people. But raising minimum wage will only increase cost and loss of jobs. So, will it really change anything. NJ just passed a state constitutional law raising minimum wage and allowing automatic increases annually to keep up with inflation. Wages would only go up depending on rise in inflation. But this has the potential to be a dangerous law.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Please don't boycott the businesses. That has minimal impact on the Board of Directors and maximum impact on the people that you are trying to "help". Many lower wage earners can participate in bonus pools, but only if their local part of the business is doing well. If sales fall locally, those employees are SOL.
    I boycott Wallmart. Not just because of the way they treat their employees. It is also because their business model is to go into communities and put smaller businesses out of business. I find that despicable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    From what i've read, Starbucks is a pretty good place to work. Even part timers get benefits (healthcare). They seem to treat their employees well and the tips are good. But, I've never worked there, so...
    Totally anecdotal, but everyone I know who has worked there hasn't liked it. They have huge turnover in their workers because of it. But as with anything, it will depend on local management.

A lot of places say they give their part-timers benefits, but the benefits they offer are prohibitively expensive to those part-time workers. So in essence there are no real benefits offered.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I boycott Wallmart. Not just because of the way they treat their employees. It is also because their business model is to go into communities and put smaller businesses out of business. I find that despicable.
    I think people often personify evil retail corporations as being akin to Walmart. But really, Walmart isn't different from other businesses people find acceptable, and in many ways treats their employees better. Local businesses don't generally offer better pay and benefits than their larger corporate counterparts, and typically cannot employ as many people. So when you're looking at straight employment and salary numbers, places like Walmart will benefit rural workers far more than local businesses. That's generally why you don't see much Walmart bashing outside big cities.

I remember reading a post once from someone who claimed they shopped at Target instead of Walmart because of how much better the employees were treated. But Walmart on average pays their employees more, and offers more benefits. The poster just assumed the opposite because they liked Target better than Walmart (If you compare average hourly wages, Walmart pays about .10 more per hour. But in addition to that, Target offers no employee bonuses while Walmart does. Walmart, OTOH, offers quarterly bonuses to all its employees--something very few places do, and which can earn a minimum wage worker up to an extra $6,000-$8,000 dollars a year.) Why? Well, most likely because Target focuses on a college-educated clientele while Walmart doesn't. So people at FSU who shop big box stores are more likely to shop Target than Walmart. But that's marketing--not better treatment of employees. So people justify their shopping choices by claiming more human treatment of workers rather than they simply they were effectively marketed by Company X.

Many people don't like companies like Hobby Lobby which funnel their profits to socially conservative causes. Yet, they have made their minimum wage for workers $14/hour. Kum and Go offers its cashiers $15/hour starting pay. But its business model is to go into rural areas and set up chain stores that offer products cheaper with better paying jobs--pretty much the same as Walmart. And yes, that puts local businesses out of business. So do you patron there?

vCash

Totally anecdotal, but everyone I know who has worked there hasn't liked it. They have huge turnover in their workers because of it. But as with anything, it will depend on local management.
    The employees at my local Starbucks state that the customers can be incredibly rude, demanding, and sometimes abusive. One had a mocha latta cha cha something or another thrown at her because the foam wasn't right or somesuch. Having worked at Comcast with their rude, demanding and often abusive customers, I can sympathize. Sometimes it's the clientele who are the problem, not the company itself.

Quadless
    vCash
    Here's an interesting pictorial representation of wealth distribution in America.

And check out Costco, if you're looking for a company to support.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Walmart openly states that it intends to put other businesses out. They stated, a few years ago that they plan to put Toys R Us out, uy under pricing them. Well, that's nice for the consumer, until Toys R US goes under and Walmart has no competition. In addition, the Walmarts around here are vile. They smell and are filthy.

Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Many people don't like companies like Hobby Lobby which funnel their profits to socially conservative causes. Yet, they have made their minimum wage for workers $14/hour. Kum and Go offers its cashiers $15/hour starting pay. But its business model is to go into rural areas and set up chain stores that offer products cheaper with better paying jobs--pretty much the same as Walmart. And yes, that puts local businesses out of business. So do you patron there?
    We don't have those stores around here. I've never been in either. However, knowing what you have said, I would not patron them.

I do go to Costco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12