View Poll Results: Which Of The Businesses On This List Do You Support?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Don't Support Any Of Them

    2 8.00%
  • McDonald's

    5 20.00%
  • Starbucks

    11 44.00%
  • Dollar General

    0 0%
  • The Gap

    3 12.00%
  • TJ Maxx

    1 4.00%
  • Target

    9 36.00%
  • Wal-Mart

    6 24.00%
  • CVS Caremark (includes London Drugs)

    6 24.00%
  • Best Buy

    8 32.00%
  • AT&T Wireless

    3 12.00%
  • I've Shopped At All Of Them At Some Point

    7 28.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,505
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    46950

    Comparing CEO's Average Wages To Their Workers

    Just noticed this article on yahoo: McDonald's And Starbucks' CEOs Make More Than $9,200 An Hour. The article includes a top ten list of the companies whose CEO's make the most compared to their workers. At the top if McDonald's, whose CEO makes 1,196 times per hour of their average worker. Starbucks, Dollar General, The Gap, TJ Maxx, Target, Walmart, CVS Caremark (which also operates London Drugs), Best Buy and AT&T Wireless round out the top ten.

    This report was done by the personal finance website NerdWallet. They reviewed 100 companies to see which had the biggest per hour pay ration difference between CEOs and their workers. It's interesting to have this list as workers for fast food companies have been demonstrating to receive a living wage. Hopefully this list will make it a bit harder for companies to use the "we just can't afford to" line.

    So what are your thoughts on this list? Does it make you wish to stop frequenting any of these businesses? Or do you feel "this is just the way it is...suck it up, everybody!". Or any other thoughts?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,623
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15753
    It is just the way it is. However, I think it is complete crap when a CEO comes in and does a horrible job, then loses his/her job and makes MILLIONS for basically getting fired. They often make so much just in their severance package. This happened recently and made a lot of news but I can't remember who it was.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,326
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    47516
    CEO's salaries are disgusting. They get bonuses for shutting down plants/facilities and putting thousands of workers in the unemployment lines.

    Sadly I have shopped at many of the businesses in this poll, but it's really hard to completely avoid some of them. It's such a part of our culture that it's hard to escape them. Starbucks, for instance.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    Posts
    5,736
    vCash
    4511
    Rep Power
    3802
    Well yeah, I get McD's. But I don't shop at any of the others, but not for that reason. I have my own personal boycott of Best Buy due to the snotty way they treated me (and this was when they were new in town and just opened, great way to build a customer base), so I don't go there for that reason. I don't drink coffee so no Starbucks for me. No Dollar General store near me. Can't shop at The Gap or TJ Maxx since they don't carry women's sizes. I have no reason to go to Target or Wal-Mart (I go to Meijers if I need that kind of merchandise stuff). CVS way too expensive compared to grocery store, and I don't have a cell phone so no AT&T. So its more that I just don't have a reason to go to those stores more than I intentionally avoid them (except for Best Buy).

    I stage my own personal boycotts against companies like not shopping at their stores or not buying their products because of the way I was treated by their employees. Now is the fact that I don't buy Company X's products going to drive them out of business? Nope, I know it won't. Won't even make a blip on the radar. But they will not be getting one cent of my money. But I'm not going to quit going to McD's because of the $$ the CEO makes compared to the workers, because if that's the case, then none of us would be able to shop or buy things anywhere. I also thing its pretty disgusting the millions of dollars the CEO's make, and the huge bonuses they get for essentially failing ... but that's just the way it is, and its really not going to change.

  5. #5
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,505
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    46950
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I stage my own personal boycotts against companies like not shopping at their stores or not buying their products because of the way I was treated by their employees. Now is the fact that I don't buy Company X's products going to drive them out of business? Nope, I know it won't. Won't even make a blip on the radar.
    If enough people choose to stop shopping at any company and profits take a big enough hit, the company will make changes. Your comment about the blip of the radar made me think of a speech Elizabeth Taylor gave about all the people doing work to fight A.I.D.S. She said something along the lines of, "we might all be just grains of sand, but together...we make one hell of a beach!"

    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    ...I'm not going to quit going to McD's because of the $$ the CEO makes compared to the workers, because if that's the case, then none of us would be able to shop or buy things anywhere. I also thing its pretty disgusting the millions of dollars the CEO's make, and the huge bonuses they get for essentially failing ... but that's just the way it is, and its really not going to change.
    Maybe sometimes it's picking the lesser of two evils? Maybe if McDonald's got enough e-mails and letters referencing this article and said they would buy fast food at Burger King instead, maybe things could change. The public has the real power. The public has the money. We have strength in numbers. It's whether we choose to use our strength. Or not.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    Posts
    5,736
    vCash
    4511
    Rep Power
    3802
    ^^ Hmmm, interesting points. Because Circuit City was once on my personal boycott list too and they don't seem to be around anymore either. At least they aren't in my city anymore.

  7. #7
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,505
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    46950
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    ^^ Hmmm, interesting points. Because Circuit City was once on my personal boycott list too and they don't seem to be around anymore either.
    And here you thought you were just a straw. And you were right. But you put the camel in the hospital.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,532
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5563
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    If enough people choose to stop shopping at any company and profits take a big enough hit, the company will make changes.
    Yes. We don't have to just surrender and say "this is the way things are". The inequity is fundamentally unjust. Nobody deserves to make $9,200 an hour while the people who do the work to keep the business running struggle to get by.

    Things would just be much better all round if corporations shared the wealth. My dad was a pharmacist who had his own drugstore for 35 years. His two primary clerks were two sisters who were living together and raising the child of one them (the dad abandoned her after WWII). I always admired him for his commitment to the single mom, which a situation of shame back then. He paid them decently all those years and they had a good life. They could afford to send the child off to college. There was no grave inequity between him and them, and they gave him a great send-off when he retired. He did earn more as the business owner, but he also put in more hours. Still, he considered it imperative to pay his workers propery and he and my mom didn't travel abroad until they were much older.

    I have followed his example in my own business. I have an assistant who earns part of my hourly fee, but she doesn't do any of the administrative/marketing stuff. The way it works out, we are probably both earning about the same hourly. She's happy, and it is a win-win situation.

    I know the corporate lines about wealth, such as "we employ so many people we deserve a tax break" and variations of "poverty is a personal shortcoming". But I firmly believe that everyone would be happier in a world where everyone had a chance to prosper.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    5,788
    vCash
    470
    Rep Power
    3403
    Who sets these salaries? The Board of Directors. How do you get your voice heard to make changes? Buy stock in the company and attend the annual meeting.

    Please don't boycott the businesses. That has minimal impact on the Board of Directors and maximum impact on the people that you are trying to "help". Many lower wage earners can participate in bonus pools, but only if their local part of the business is doing well. If sales fall locally, those employees are SOL.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,743
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4218
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Who sets these salaries? The Board of Directors. How do you get your voice heard to make changes? Buy stock in the company and attend the annual meeting.
    This is true. The most impactful thing you can do, if you have the money and are really committed to this, is to buy stock in the company (if it is a public company), and to use that as a way to have a voice.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,837
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    It is just the way it is. However, I think it is complete crap when a CEO comes in and does a horrible job, then loses his/her job and makes MILLIONS for basically getting fired. They often make so much just in their severance package. This happened recently and made a lot of news but I can't remember who it was.
    Agree.

    I liked Ben & Jerry's (as a company--who DOESN'T like their ice cream) back when they had the pledge that the CEO would never make more than x times the lowest-paid worker (I think x was like 20). Then when the original Ben & Jerry wished to move on, they had to abandon that (as far as I remember, anyway). Still, they do a lot of good and are committed, at least, to paying their employees living wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    This is true. The most impactful thing you can do, if you have the money and are really committed to this, is to buy stock in the company (if it is a public company), and to use that as a way to have a voice.
    Yeah. . . IF you can get to the shareholders' meetings and IF you can wrangle time to speak out.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,439
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4854
    Unless you are a significant shareholder - owning at least 5% of the company, your opinion won't mean much. But if you own 10% plus, you can easily get the BODs attention. But even that is no guarantee of any action. The only guarantee is a majority ownership.
    Figure skating is hard.

  13. #13
    Alissa Fan Forever
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,585
    vCash
    565
    Rep Power
    6940
    Info comes from links posted on FSU in the past (Usually in PI):

    In the '80's they made 40 times the worker. In the 90's they made 540 times the worker. Today they make 1,196 times the worker.

    It's a little funny how the term "minimum wage" was invented...but never the term "maximum wage".

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,326
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    47516
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Who sets these salaries? The Board of Directors. How do you get your voice heard to make changes? Buy stock in the company and attend the annual meeting.

    Please don't boycott the businesses. That has minimal impact on the Board of Directors and maximum impact on the people that you are trying to "help". Many lower wage earners can participate in bonus pools, but only if their local part of the business is doing well. If sales fall locally, those employees are SOL.
    ITA. The people that will be hurt are the low wage employees. The people at the top will lay off many employees and continue to collect their high salaries. Their stocks and bonuses will go up while their employees may not have money to pay their mortgage or put food on the table.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,095
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    PeterG, you are such an evil COMMUNIST for even daring to suggest that there might be anything questionable about CEOs (pretty much all of whom are male and white btw) earning 1,196 more than their average worker. Go away for North Korea if you don't like it, comrade!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,719
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    14856
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Please don't boycott the businesses. That has minimal impact on the Board of Directors and maximum impact on the people that you are trying to "help". Many lower wage earners can participate in bonus pools, but only if their local part of the business is doing well. If sales fall locally, those employees are SOL.
    This - in reality your boycotting the stores in the name of hurting the CEOs is zip. The people it does it? those who are employed by the store or franchise, the community where the store is located, the surrounding businesses (most of these stores are located in malls or strip malls, if you boycott the major store/business, traffic slows other business surrounding die out).
    The CEO's don't really care about the local impact. They really don't care if *I* refuse to spend my dollars at their stores. My ~$8,000 or so to Target a year doesn't even pay the electric bill for a quarter. So my boycotting them - meh

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,439
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4854
    I disagree about boycotting if there is a better alternative. People (companies) will mimic whatever is successful. So if company As sales go up 300 percent, other companies will notice. But finding the better alternative is not likely. They are all paying those high salaries because they are all mimicking each other.
    Figure skating is hard.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Close to Normal, IL
    Posts
    1,658
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    As someone who works at one of the companies listed above in a slightly above entry level position in a retail location, I can attest to the fact that if people just quit coming because they didn't like the way our CEO ran things, that would have very little affect on corporate but would have an almost immediate and detrimental effect on US. Our hours are allocated by sales and if we don't make sales, we don't get to work; if we don't get to work, we don't get to make money. That's just how it goes. By refusing to shop at the company you're trying to change, you're not really sending a message to the "big guys" but are reducing the paychecks of a lot of people who need every hour they get. If you really want to make an impact in the lives of the average employee, spend your money where you find good service and products, because THAT does actually have a positive affect on the people who work there.

    Don't get me wrong, I think what most CEO's make is criminal based on how clueless they are about how things really work, but folks just quitting to shop at their local retail establishment isn't going to affect them nearly as much as it affects the local employee who's just trying to make a living.

  19. #19
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,505
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    46950
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Unless you are a significant shareholder - owning at least 5% of the company, your opinion won't mean much. But if you own 10% plus, you can easily get the BODs attention. But even that is no guarantee of any action. The only guarantee is a majority ownership.
    I own 55 shares of Microsoft. Does anyone know how close I own to 5% ownership of the company?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    PeterG, you are such an evil COMMUNIST for even daring to suggest that there might be anything questionable about CEOs (pretty much all of whom are male and white btw) earning 1,196 more than their average worker. Go away for North Korea if you don't like it, comrade!
    Uh, yeah RIGHT. Like I'm going to eat cold noodles!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,439
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4854
    Per yahoo finance, there are 8,350,000,000 outstanding shares of Microsoft. If I did the mental math right (it's early), one would need 4.25 million shares to reach 5%.
    Figure skating is hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •