Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I love this! Great marketing. Christmas Cheer. Made my day

vCash
    I would have asked for a condo on Beacon Hill (Boston, MA)!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Indeed. It seems every time a company does something nice, there are some who say "not good enough" and want to direct where the money should go. Newsflash folks, this was not a charitable initiative, but rather a fun surprise for some of their customers, not to mention a great project for their employees. I just flew WestJet in the past few days, and the difference is remarkable - employees are motivated, friendly, focused on their customer, and fun to fly with.

In what universe is a company obliged to give all their customers the same benefits/discounts/surprises? On any given flight, dozens of different fares have been paid for the same seats already, and if a couple of people are lucky enough to get an upgrade, or a flight attendant decides to slip a kid an extra candy bar, so be it - doesn't mean everyone on every flight should get one.

This was a random act of kindness and holiday spirit, a little bigger than most, but no different than other people and companies who decide that it's fun to do something nice for others now and then.

And for those who think WestJet should have spent their money differently, you might want to have a look at how they already are.
    Thanks, Jenny. I somehow doubt that the amount Westjet spent on two planeloads of gifts would amount to much of a fare discount anyways. I'd like to think the attitude at Westjet could be contagious if even on a much smaller scale...

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    No one has said they have an obligation to give all their customers the same benefits/discounts/surprises.
    Then I guess I misinterpreted this:

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    So the passengers on two flights got their Christmas wish, whatever it was? A whole lot more people who also are flying with Westjet this holiday season don't get a gift. nothing.

vCash
    So the passengers on two flights got their Christmas wish, whatever it was? A whole lot more people who also are flying with Westjet this holiday season don't get a gift. nothing.

I think it would have been better for Westjet to have put the money it spent on gifts into discounts, or to get people who couldn't afford to fly a free trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I agree. Good advertisement (not just for Westjet, but also Best Buy etc.), as far as the feel good factor, but they could have helped more people, and used the money better, I think. I tend towards spreading money out, than giving a limited few extravagance.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    They could have, but they are a business and not a charity. You an almost guarantee that the passengers on those flights are going to be loyal customers for a very long time, whereas those who couldn't afford to fly...wouldn't be.

I agree they could have used the money better, but really, it is just a form of advertising
    This was mainly done for the publicity. This wasn't them trying to build loyalty with this small group of customers. It wasn't really about spreading the wealth, either. It's about getting the publicity. Look at all press they've gotten, and all the buzz. The same amount of advertising would have cost them millions.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I think there's more to it than that. Yes, they certainly hit a home run on the publicity front, but my bet is there is also a huge effect internally. The looks on the employees faces in video says it all - they were having a great time, and glad to have the opportunity to spread some Christmas joy and make some people very, very happy. The boost to employee morale and the team building value of this initiative is immeasurable - even those who didn't participate directly have to be feeling really proud right now, and I imagine that there are many others out there thinking THAT's the kind of company I want to work.

The loyalty factor could also go way beyond the people who were on those flights. As I said above I flew on WestJet for a round trip last week, only the second time I've flown with them. Like the first time, the experience was excellent from start to finish - and now seeing this video just cements my intention to fly with them whenever the opportunity arises, and to recommend them to others.

I also think that WestJet and others like them are sparking a bit of revolution in the industry. In Canada for example, one airline has had a stranglehold on the market for some time, and their reputation for crappy service is widespread. With startups like WestJet and Porter boldly doing business differently, it's forcing Air Canada and the other big guys to put more effort into customer service, and employee relations for that matter.

From a business standpoint, this is a good demonstration of corporate values and of approach to doing business - which can go a long way in attracting and retaining business partners, and securing competitive contracts. The publicity matters less in this case - just the fact of them doing this is plenty.

And given the number of shares I'm seeing on Facebook from friends who've never heard of WestJet let alone flown with them, I think they've done a nice job in simply spreading Christmas joy. Is that such a bad thing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    In Canada for example, one airline has had a stranglehold on the market for some time, and their reputation for crappy service is widespread. With startups like WestJet and Porter boldly doing business differently, it's forcing Air Canada and the other big guys to put more effort into customer service, and employee relations for that matter.
    Westjet entered the Canadian airline market in 1996, serving Western Canada, then expanded tremendously in the 2000s to become a full national and international carrier. So it is hardly a start-up. And it has earned a good market share as competition to Air Canada.

vCash
    Saw a news report about this gift giving...and one of the funniest stories was about a guy who didn't take the whole "tell Santa what you want for XMAS" seriously, and said he wanted socks and underwear. So, when he got to that luggage carousel and found his present, sure enough, it was SOCKS AND UNDERWEAR!

vCash
    Some people seem to want to have it both ways... It's an ad/publicity/marketing so they shouldn't be criticized for giving extravagant things to the (already) haves, but analyze/criticize the ad, then you're a cynic for criticizing a good deed.

I don't celebrate Christmas and have no sentimental values about Christmas. So maybe that's why I don't get all warm and fuzzy about Westjet and am more "cynical" about it. Still, a marketing campaign.

vCash
    Westjet entered the Canadian airline market in 1996, serving Western Canada, then expanded tremendously in the 2000s to become a full national and international carrier. So it is hardly a start-up. And it has earned a good market share as competition to Air Canada.
    Westjet 1996 v Air Canada in 1936...and they only went national in the past decade? You're kind of proving Jenny's point here! It's newer, has a different business model and has gained enough market share to shake up the competition.

I wish they flew here! Not for the presents, I couldn't care less about that. But the airline industry here needs a company like Westjet to shake up the anti-competitive stranglehold the two main airlines have.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12