Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Westjet Christmas Miracle

Anyone who isn't on Facebook or Twitter may not have seen this video called the Westjet Christmas Miracle. I hope it brings a smile to your face!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I just watched it a few minutes ago. Cue the waterworks! Very sweet. And very effective marketing.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Very nice. I saw my airport in there. I wish they still flew to where I want to go.
    If you reread your work, you can find on rereading a great deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.

vCash
    They really did that?! That must have cost a lot for two flights! Very sweet
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    And very effective marketing.
    Indeed

Are they all actors?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Are they all actors?
    No, I don't think any of them are actors. But it sure makes you feel all warm and fuzzy toward Westjet. And with the holiday travel season approaching, that's not a bad thing......
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Yes, I do think the ad is very well made. Hits all the right note

vCash
    So the passengers on two flights got their Christmas wish, whatever it was? A whole lot more people who also are flying with Westjet this holiday season don't get a gift. nothing.

I think it would have been better for Westjet to have put the money it spent on gifts into discounts, or to get people who couldn't afford to fly a free trip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    So the passengers on two flights got their Christmas wish, whatever it was? A whole lot more people who also are flying with Westjet this holiday season don't get a gift. nothing.

I think it would have been better for Westjet to have put the money it spent on gifts into discounts, or to get people who couldn't afford to fly a free trip.
    I agree. Good advertisement (not just for Westjet, but also Best Buy etc.), as far as the feel good factor, but they could have helped more people, and used the money better, I think. I tend towards spreading money out, than giving a limited few extravagance.

vCash
    They could have, but they are a business and not a charity. You an almost guarantee that the passengers on those flights are going to be loyal customers for a very long time, whereas those who couldn't afford to fly...wouldn't be.

I agree they could have used the money better, but really, it is just a form of advertising

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    They could have, but they are a business and not a charity. You an almost guarantee that the passengers on those flights are going to be loyal customers for a very long time, whereas those who couldn't afford to fly...wouldn't be.
    True, but using the profits they used for this to lower actual flight prices may gain even more customers, both short term (if they were over Christmas only) or long term (if they lowered prices long-term), and new customers (these ones were obviously already customers) too). Of course, not as feel good as this.

vCash
    I guess it's true that no good deed goes unpunished...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Advertisements are judged. Good deeds are deeds done with the giver giving for the sake of giving, not in order to receive (at least not to make a profit). This deed was done so the giver could receive something in return, without which the giver would not have given. It's an advertisement, done for financial gain. Sure, it's great that some customers received free stuff, but I am judging the advertisement for what it is, an advertisement with a feel good factor, in which some current customers benefited in order to increase the return and profile of the advertisement for Westjet. That's what makes it a great advertisement; the feel good aspect is what makes it spread.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Indeed. It seems every time a company does something nice, there are some who say "not good enough" and want to direct where the money should go. Newsflash folks, this was not a charitable initiative, but rather a fun surprise for some of their customers, not to mention a great project for their employees. I just flew WestJet in the past few days, and the difference is remarkable - employees are motivated, friendly, focused on their customer, and fun to fly with.

In what universe is a company obliged to give all their customers the same benefits/discounts/surprises? On any given flight, dozens of different fares have been paid for the same seats already, and if a couple of people are lucky enough to get an upgrade, or a flight attendant decides to slip a kid an extra candy bar, so be it - doesn't mean everyone on every flight should get one.

This was a random act of kindness and holiday spirit, a little bigger than most, but no different than other people and companies who decide that it's fun to do something nice for others now and then.

And for those who think WestJet should have spent their money differently, you might want to have a look at how they already are.

vCash
    They are trying to inspire us to do a good deed or two.

vCash
    What a feel good ad, I loved it!

The world needs more acts of kindness from corporations, each other and the like. It doesn't matter how big or small, it's appreciated.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I look at it like this. I think it was very nice of them because they didn't have to do anything at all, and it made a lot of people very happy this Christmas.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    What a feel good ad, I loved it!

The world needs more acts of kindness from corporations, each other and the like. It doesn't matter how big or small, it's appreciated.
    I can't believe the cynical comments by some posters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Indeed. It seems every time a company does something nice, there are some who say "not good enough" and want to direct where the money should go. Newsflash folks, this was not a charitable initiative, but rather a fun surprise for some of their customers, not to mention a great project for their employees. I just flew WestJet in the past few days, and the difference is remarkable - employees are motivated, friendly, focused on their customer, and fun to fly with.

In what universe is a company obliged to give all their customers the same benefits/discounts/surprises? On any given flight, dozens of different fares have been paid for the same seats already, and if a couple of people are lucky enough to get an upgrade, or a flight attendant decides to slip a kid an extra candy bar, so be it - doesn't mean everyone on every flight should get one.

This was a random act of kindness and holiday spirit, a little bigger than most, but no different than other people and companies who decide that it's fun to do something nice for others now and then.

And for those who think WestJet should have spent their money differently, you might want to have a look at how they already are.
    ITA. There are a million different ways they could have spent that money, so of course they could have directed it differently...but they didn't have to do anything at all and I still think it's really sweet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    In what universe is a company obliged to give all their customers the same benefits/discounts/surprises?
    No one has said they have an obligation to give all their customers the same benefits/discounts/surprises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast