vCash

Because I've asked a million questions about double axels over the past two years...

I thought I'd share that my kid landed one for the first time yesterday. :-) Thank you for all the hand-holding.

I don't know why skating is so stressful for some parents (i.e. me.) It's not like I'm out there crashing on the ice, and I'm realistic about my kid's prospects for advancing to higher levels.

Still, it was a very cool thing to have happen. The single axel and double axel are pretty spectacular jumps to see. I watch so many International competitions where it's sort of a given that the double axel is one of the "easier" jumps...but to see some kid--any kid--land one for the first time, it's always a big celebration at our rink. I'm sure it's like that at other rinks as well.

Thanks again. I'll commence my hand-wringing about consistency. ;-)

Shadow dancing
    vCash

Watch me move
    vCash
    That's awesome! Congratulations to your daughter!!
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Congratulations to your skater! That's a huge accomplishment.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Well done to her. It is a big jump for a skater to get.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Thanks all!

She sent me this video. This one has a spinny ending, but looks like the real deal.

http://youtu.be/hpbyKaR-DpI

Don't want to waste a thread, so if anyone else wants to join in and share a recent skating accomplishment, please do!

I haven't been on the ice myself for a while. I was getting pretty good with my 1/4" height waltz jump last time I tried.

vCash
    I think it looks rotated. So that is good.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I think it looks rotated. So that is good.
    It's always hard for me to tell. I don't have that precise eye. At Intermediate level, skaters usually didn't put out any under-rotated doubles through lutz, but there were a lot of close double axels.

I guess that the psychological stress/mental challenge of putting a 2A in a program is so much more than other new jumps, that skaters would try them in programs even if they weren't perfect, just to get the mental practice? That was one explanation I got. Well, that, and it's just such a tougher jump than all previous doubles.

vCash
    It is important for skaters to start putting in the harder jumps when they start to do them. What is satisfying is throughout a season you can see the skater improving and getting them more consistent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    It is important for skaters to start putting in the harder jumps when they start to do them. What is satisfying is throughout a season you can see the skater improving and getting them more consistent.
    Agreed. It's a whole different group of skaters by October, even though we've been skating with them since April or May. :-)

ETA: Ugh...I did that awful "we" thing. By "we" I mean "team Our Rink." I'm just the check book and car rides.
    Last edited by Jozet; 12-19-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Congratulations to your daughter!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    She goes into them with good speed and attack. Most skaters I know who are just working on a hard jump look a lot more tentative and slow. Very good sign for the future. Good for her & hope you have some fingernails left to gnaw on while she works on gaining more consistency .

I landed two decent single axels earlier this week, but I have a cold now and need to get my gold moves into shape before testing them in February. Not sure when's the next time stars will be properly aligned for me to pull in and rotate them.

vCash
    pull in and rotate them
    It looks so easy when it's just in print like that, doesn't it? My daughter's coach has been telling her for a while "just pull in and rotate" and my daughter kept saying "there's no 'just' about it!"

And holy smokes, gold moves! That's amazing!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Thanks for the video! I agree with ioana, she looks really fast and confident.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    It looks so easy when it's just in print like that, doesn't it? My daughter's coach has been telling her for a while "just pull in and rotate" and my daughter kept saying "there's no 'just' about it!"
    A coach and I used to say to people "just make it better"