Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    NB comes back to earth hard. And Glenn Howard lost the Ontario final.

vCash
    Glen losing was a shocker. I've been a fan forever, but then he's been around forever too. I suspect he may be retiring soon. Cheering for both Ontario teams at the Scotties: Homan and Flaxey.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Saw the shot that caused Howard to lose the final in Ontario and it was a sudden pick that caused the rock to suddenly veer right into a rock about 1 foot away that they needed to get past. It really6 was a pretty clear shot so to lose it that way - Absolutely brutal.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Saw the shot that caused Howard to lose the final in Ontario and it was a sudden pick that caused the rock to suddenly veer right into a rock about 1 foot away that they needed to get past. It really6 was a pretty clear shot so to lose it that way - Absolutely brutal.
    Oh Ouch!! That one's going to really hurt.

Is this weekend it for the Provincial Brier Playdowns?

ETA: TSN just did a quick rundown of today's Brier Playdown Finals and....

We know about Ontario, so won't repeat that, but Jeff Stoughton, Steve Laycock and Brad Gushue ( I almost typed Gushy, as that's his nickname in our Family after a lil cousin of mine who was just learning to talk tried to say his name during the Torino Olympics and Gushy got said instead ) will all be making return trips to the Brier.

BTW...watching The Territories (POLAR POWER!! ) vs Nfld/Lab and does anyone know why the Uniform Colour Change for the Territories this year? I always liked those Grey and red ones and it helped them stand outon the sheet too. Not the most important question, but just wondering.

Oh...and if you can, please donate to The Sandra Schmiler Foundation Telethon/Fundraiser tonight. We did through the Annual Fundraiser our little Curling Club holds each year, so we can enjoy watching Sandra Schmiler Day at The Scotties. As I said, if you can, please call and make a donation for a really great cause. W/funding being slashed in so many ways, those NICU Incubators and other life saving equipment needed is not cheap and hospitals need to make up that slashd funding anyway they can. So if you can call please!! If you have or donated somehow, Thank you.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 02-03-2014 at 01:18 AM.

vCash
    No - I think only 6 declared now. For sure Alberta and BC are next weekend as Sportsnet was advertising their coverage of those events.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Thanks and I also edited my post w/the other three from today and a couple other things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    ...BTW...watching The Territories (POLAR POWER!! ) vs Nfld/Lab and does anyone know why the Uniform Colour Change for the Territories this year? I always liked those Grey and red ones and it helped them stand outon the sheet too. Not the most important question, but just wondering.
    I believe the grey and red colours are North-West Territories colours. Now that there is a challenge for the last however many spots it would be possible for both Yukon and North-West Territories, and for that matter Nunavut to all have a team at the same Scotties so they each use their own colours. (At least I think that's right but I could be wrong.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    I believe the grey and red colours are North-West Territories colours. Now that there is a challenge for the last however many spots it would be possible for both Yukon and North-West Territories, and for that matter Nunavut to all have a team at the same Scotties so they each use their own colours. (At least I think that's right but I could be wrong.)
    It is indeed because they are coming from Yukon and not NWT. These are the colours they wear for Junior when all teams compete. I like them better than the NWT. I think it's a really pretty purple. Right now, there is only a territories play-off to attend so at this point we cannot have both teams present but that change is coming in next season I do believe when they add Team Canada to the Brier.

Brier so far:
    NL - Gushue
    QU - Menard
    ON - Balsdon
    MB - Stoughton
    SK - Laycock

I think the rest are all next week unless I missed a province.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    The Scotties ends the weekend the Olympics begins, so there isn't THAT much of an overlap... I will be watching, I expect there to be four favorites, and a couple of spoilers. Favorites are Team Canada, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan, with Nova Scotia and New Brunswick as the spoilers. There are a ton of new faces and inexperience here.

I think Homan starts the favorite, but she has GOT to be more consistent then she was in Winnipeg, or she will pay for it dearly. I would like to see them get back to the Worlds and win it all this year, that being said, Chelsea Carey and Val Sweeting are both on a roll recently and both played well at the trials. Val has got the best sweepers bar none in the country. Joanne Courtney is one of if not the best female sweeper I have ever seen. So if Val gets her shots consistent and gets hot, she could do VERY well here. Chelsea, has great potential and all the shots and now has the experience of the trials, I don't think she will be afraid. Stefanie Lawton is the most experienced, but if she starts the way she did at trials, it's going to be a long week, they've got to start it out a bit more on the defensive side of things, a bit simpler and then get going, she can win it. New Brunswick and Nova Scotia can also take advantage if any of those teams falter.

On a sad note, Kelly Scott's team has announced they are disbanding after their season. I am upset at this, these are the classiest ladies in the sport, and I hope it's not the end of Kelly, she is too talented and far too good a person not to be in the sport.
    I think it's Homan's to lose, but you're right, she needs to be consistent. It's nice seeing some new faces coming up, the most interesting one is Sarah Koltun. But whatever happened to that young rink from PEI? The one who just about won it all a couple of years ago. Did they break up?

I really like Sherry Anderson's style of play and she's been good for Stephanie Lawton, but I think it's time for these ladies to hang it up. Good curlers, but need a different second (or at least they did yesterday), and less nerves. Good luck to them tho. Amber Holland I thought was coming back, but haven't heard a peep about her this season.

Anyway, it should be interesting this week and certainly something to watch before the olympics.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Great shot by Heather Strong to win her game last night. In the first round NB took full advantage of Quebec's so-so play.

Side note about worlds her ein Saint John - my wife is volunteering at the event. And her cousin's daughter, who is a decent junior curler, is going to be spending a day with the Scottish team. She is hoping it's Muirhead, but I don't they are going to Worlds - does anyone know?
    I would think they would be. Eve Muirhead was at worlds in 2010,took silver and I know she was in Vancouver at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    I think it's Homan's to lose, but you're right, she needs to be consistent. It's nice seeing some new faces coming up, the most interesting one is Sarah Koltun. But whatever happened to that young rink from PEI? The one who just about won it all a couple of years ago. Did they break up?
    Suzanne (Gaudet) Birt - she lost in the semi final this year IIRC. (ETA - she didn't make the playoffs)

My wife knows one of the parents on the NB team. She had emailed her to see if she was in Montreal and if she was coming here for Worlds. She replied that she was there and had asked her daughter what happened in the NS game - "we sucked" was the reply. Russ and Linda would be too polite to say that...
    Last edited by Dave of the North; 02-03-2014 at 09:18 PM.

vCash
    Did you mean the young team of Erin Carmody? They've broken up and 2 of the girls have moved to other provinces to play. One was in Manitoba on Overton-Clapham's team and other other was in MB or AB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minuet View Post
    Did you mean the young team of Erin Carmody? They've broken up and 2 of the girls have moved to other provinces to play. One was in Manitoba on Overton-Clapham's team and other other was in MB or AB.
    Geri-Lynn Ramsay.

Kathy O'Rourke was the skip and Tricia Affleck was the other member of that team. O'Rourke and Affleck, along with Robyn Green and Meghan Hughes, lost the PEI final to Dolan this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minuet View Post
    Yes, that's the one. They made it all the way into the final game. Thanks.

vCash
    Well as expected, the four teams that made the playoffs are the ones I thought, Team Canada, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta. They really have been a cut above the rest all week in Montreal. Homan and team have gotten the swagger back after the disaster that was trials. I only wish they'd have played like this in Winnipeg and that they'd be in Sochi this week... but I digress. Team Canada is by far playing the best of anyone here and they look set to run the table here.

The other three still remain to be seen. I think regardless Alberta goes to the 3-4 game. That's fine with me. The last time we won it was through the 3-4 game with Team Nedohin (who loses Beth Iskiw at third after this season to be replaced by Amy Nixon... that's going to be a S*it show seeing those two curl together.) back in 2012. Manitoba has really impressed me, I love the way all four girls throw and Chelsea Carey really is a nice, young likable curler, so I don't mind if they do well. Lawton is a veteran, I wouldn't mind seeing them if not for Sherry Anderson who deserves a shot especially after losing both the Olympic Trials Final and the Scotties final back in the 01-02 season. Val Sweeting aside from a few hiccups has been lights out. She made two pistols tonight in the ninth against Carey, one for three that Linda and Russ didn't think was there and then just manage to Houdini her way out of the 10th end to make sure that there were no tiebreakers.

I'm ok with any of the top 4 winning it. I like all of them so whoever wins it I'm good with. Of course with me being from Alberta and having curled at the Saville Centre several times myself, I'd love to see Val Sweeting take it all but I think it's Homan's to lose.

PS - did anyone hear about Glenn Howard losing the Ontario final? Apparently his last shot picked in 10 and Balsdon stole it to win it.
    Kyle

vCash
    I watched Glen's last rock pick.....Wayne and front end tried but the pick was a bad one..............What a terrible way to lose. I really felt bad for Howard and his team especially since they are always my favs. I'm a huge fan of the boys from the "Soo" as well and fingers x'd for them to do well in Sochi.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Very different 1 v 2 game - sure didn't look like it was going to be a tight one after the first end but kudos Chelsea.

I also am okay with any of the 4 teams winning it all, but right now I would have to bet on Homan.

vCash
    Hooray for the girls from the Saville! I didn't see a lot of the game today but it looks like the girls did what they needed to do to eke out the W. Those sweepers really are the difference for Val. That being said I think it's advantage Homan for sure. They've been here, they have the experience and they're hungry. Joanne Courtney is going to be the difference, if she can shoot lights out, Alberta can win it, if she's off and his setting her shots and having open misses, Team Canada will make the girls pay dearly. I'm okay with either team winning it but I'd love to see Alberta win it all!
    Kyle

vCash
    As expected, Team Canada defends their Scotties title with a dominant performance all week. Homan literally never had to throw her last rock all week. That's virtually unheard of in an event and a testament to just how good these girls are. When they're on, they're the best team in the world. Val Sweeting should be proud of what her team did this week, they'll be back, they just came up against a juggernaut who was not to be denied.

I thoroughly expect Team Canada to be the favorites at worlds this year.
    Kyle

vCash
    Jennifer Jones is dominating at the Olympics and crushing everyone. Will probably win the gold and cement herself as possibly the best ladies team in history.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast