Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    I think it's an exhausting week for everyone especially those who make the tie-breakers and/or page playoffs especially all the pressure put upon the favs. So thrilled that Rachel et al. got the win tonight. It was a great game with some awesome shots by both teams but mostly the "mean girls"
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I know a world silver medal is a great accomplishment but... Looks like nerves, ice and stones got the best of the girls tonight. Rachel and Emma really wet the bed and Switzerland didn't have to do anything spectacular, they were calm, cool, collected and just let Homan and crew self destruct. Emma was on the wrong side of the inch and couldn't make much to save her life tonight unfortunately, it's sport and that's what happens. It's just so unfortunate that it had to happen tonight on the heels of the Olympic and World Junior gold. And now another year Canada doesn't win the women's world title, if there was any year to do it, this would have been the year given the weakened fields. Now, it's back to waiting next year. Too bad really.
    Kyle

vCash
    Along with the support from home fans comes the pressure. Gold for the "mean girls" next time around . It just wasn't there last night with everyone a bit off, including Rachel with the flu.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    It was an interesting competition for Rachel's team. They had 3 really bad games this week that were nothing like their other games, and unfortunately 2 of them were against the impressively unflappable Swiss team. Congrats to the Swiss ladies, who were the only ones to beat Rachel's team through both Scotties and Worlds together. I am hopeful that The Canadians can still take this in stride as a learning experience. I am also hopeful, though less confident, that Canadian curling fans will now realize that winning a World Championship can be pretty darn hard and all that negativity toward the J Jones team for their "failures" was a bit harsh.

vCash
    I think a more conservative team would have played ends 8 and 9 more straightforward and play open with more hits (especially with Canada being up 2 with 3 ends to play), but it appears Rachel Homan was playing aggressive all the way. She went for a possible steal in 8, but it backfired with poor execution, allowing the score of 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    It was an interesting competition for Rachel's team. They had 3 really bad games this week that were nothing like their other games, and unfortunately 2 of them were against the impressively unflappable Swiss team. Congrats to the Swiss ladies, who were the only ones to beat Rachel's team through both Scotties and Worlds together. I am hopeful that The Canadians can still take this in stride as a learning experience. I am also hopeful, though less confident, that Canadian curling fans will now realize that winning a World Championship can be pretty darn hard and all that negativity toward the J Jones team for their "failures" was a bit harsh.
    I think the reason people are hard on Jones is they know how great she and her team is, and thus they expect her to win more often at the world level than she does, not because they downplay how tough it is. It is more the enormous confidence people have in her, and is a compliment. People also remember Schmirler rolling to all her major titles at the world level, and since Jennifer Jones is thought of as the new Schmirler people look for that, but dont realize the depth in world curling is about 5 times what it was in the Schmirler day. Back then Sandra's only competition was Norway, Sweden, and sometimes Germany, and Schopp was going through a huge career slump in 91-99 which coincided with the Sandra team reign, and Nordby for some reason was always a surprisingly easy opponent for Sandra as I guess their game style didnt match up well, so that left Gustafsson as her only competition and she didnt even play Gustafsson in a major final. Her world and Olympic final opponents were Clawys Stryer, Cannon, Nordby (strong), and Black Lavrson, who other than Nordby are a bit of ajoke. These days Sweden is stronger than ever, and Schopp and Nordby were still very strong up until 2010, but Scotland, U.S, Switzlerland, China, are very strong and none of those were that strong back then, and even countries like Japan, Korea, Russia, who used to be an epic joke now field good and dangerous teams. Not to take anything away from Sandra as she and her team were incredible, but Jennifer has it so much harder.

vCash
    I know there's been lots of discussion about partner changes in ice dance and pairs - but I think the changes and rumoured changes in curling are much more . Kevin Koe getting a whole new team - Laing, Kennedy and Hebert, Stoughton's team breaking up, Nichols going back to NL (but where?), Kreviazuk going to Sweden to be with her boyfriend, Homan picking up Courtney from Sweeting's team... and on and on...

Meanwhile apparently the ice at Worlds was made with really crappy polluted water and it's been affecting all the games.

vCash
    and Chelsea Carey has moved from Manitoba to Alberta - I missed that one somehow.

vCash
    I can't bleieve that the Koe news is out in public in the middle of the Worlds... *yikes*!!! NOt great timing, IMO.

vCash
    I don't know that it was unexpected by any of the team members - do you know otherwise?

Jennifer Jones was on George Stroumboulopoulos this evening (repeat at 12:30)

vCash
    Playoffs (almost) set

Tiebreaker: SWE vs. JPN

Winner advances to 3-4 game vs. SUI

1-2 game: NOR vs. CAN

vCash
    I really hope Koe wins this but am worried about Ulsrud.

vCash
    Atleast now he is ensured a medal unless he loses 3 games in a row.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fsfann View Post
    I can't bleieve that the Koe news is out in public in the middle of the Worlds... *yikes*!!! NOt great timing, IMO.
    It was never supposed to be leaked. That happened by accident.

vCash
    Thank goodness for the Olympics this year because the past couple years men and women's Worlds have NOT been Canada's event. Koe seemed like they just couldn't get past the distraction and the ice this week.

This has been a far different team, I've never seen them with the misses like the ones they've had this week. Unfortunately, you deal with the hand you're given like every other team and the fact is Sweden and Norway just plain outplayed him and Team Canada. 3-2? Seriously? You get hammer, and refuse to take chances? Ulsrud played chicken and won, yes Koe can hit, but you also have to be aggressive and take your chances, if you don't win, then it happens, but not taking any chances cost them dearly. Then Sweden just outplayed them after some simple Koe misses, and they deserve to be in that final.

Bronze? If I know them, I think they're in tough, but if they want to salvage something out of this they have got to get out of the gutter and start making some shots and get that medal for Canada, because Switzerland will be hungry and very tough. I actually think they're probably the favorites right now just based on what I've seen from Koe this week.
    Kyle

vCash
    Some sort of bad karma going - Koe had made tough clutch draws when needed every end until 9 when he wasn't even close on a more open draw for 2.

vCash
    First time since Canada misses the podium since 2001... They can't use the excuse of bad ice or stones, it's the same for every other team and they just couldn't handle the pressure when it counted the most. Something tells me the off-ice distractions contributed as well, they may not care about this game but it's a World Championship and Kevin for whatever reason all three playoff games couldn't really make a draw to save his life. He didn't focus on one shot at a time with some bad ice reading and stupid calls, this is one Team Canada that will likely be forgotten in the history books.
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Eriksson kept missing draws in the final against Norway .

Thomas Ulsrud is the new World Champion He said probably the last game for Torger Nergaard -- the commentators said it was because of business -- and when asked about himself, he gave the standard I have to discuss this with my wife answer.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Good for Tomas and team - congrats. They had a great week all around.

vCash
    With the conclusion of the men's and women's finals from the Players in Summerside, PEI, that wraps up a pretty wild season of curling. Jennifer Jones, I gotta say it, her and team really are the best team in the world at the moment. She won three grand slams this year (The Manitoba and Saskatoon slams aren't televisted), the Olympic Trials and Olympic Gold. I really don't think it's in dispute that they are the best in the world at the moment. Everything just came together for them this season. With Homan and company adjusting to a brand new player and some changes in landscape, the world really is their oyster. With Chelsea Carey in Alberta now I'd be shocked if we didn't see them at Scotties next year.

Also very fitting for Kevin Martin in his last game to go out with a win. He's certainly seen and done it all. When he's curling 98%, he's pretty much impossible to beat, they came out and were sharp and were the better team. It will be strange not to see Kevin around the Brier or any other events, but this was coming for a while, so good for him. Brad Jacobs and the boys I'm sure will be disappointed but given their season they can't be too upset. They've won multiple events on the tour, the last spot at pre-trials and then going undefeated to win the trials (which given the field, is all the more phenomenal) and then rallying to win 7 straight at the Olympics for gold, these guys are going to be extremely difficult going forward given their ability to hit, the powerful brushing of the Harndens and Brad's ability to make everything are going to cause headaches for most teams in the future going forward.

Also, did I hear right? Niklas Edin and team are breaking up?!
    Kyle

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast