Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    After all of that....no tie-breakers at all required due to combination of Menard defeating Koe and Grattan defeating Laycock this morning.

3-4 game: QUE vs. MB
    1-2 game: BC vs. AB
    Oh well, NB did what they had to do, beat SK, but AB lost to QU; so we don't have NB and NL in tiebreakers...

vCash
    And Johny Mo off to the finals................woot, woot!!! Here's hoping he wins against Stoughton?. I just can't see Que winning that one, but miracles can happen lol.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Got a chuckle out of Russ Howard's comment at the start of the 1v2 game. In reference to BC flipping from 3rd place to 1st place sitting at the hotel watching on TV when Alberta lost to Quebec, Russ said it was the best game BC never played.

On a very sad note, that put Stoughton out of the 1v2 game and into the 3v4 game with no second chances. I was really torn during that AB QC game. I like QC and wanted them to do well but although I didn't know the results of the draw-to-the-button tie-breaker, I has suspicions the AB loss was going to have the biggest negative impact on MB. Ah well. Just hope the sharp Stoughton team turns up this weekend and not the other one that was here earlier this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    And Johny Mo off to the finals................woot, woot!!! Here's hoping he wins against Stoughton?. I just can't see Que winning that one, but miracles can happen lol.
    The winner of Menard vs Stoughton plays Koe in the semis, so it could still be Koe in the final.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The winner of Menard vs Stoughton plays Koe in the semis, so it could still be Koe in the final.
    Yes, just realized, unfortunately. And here I mistakenly thought I'd seen the last of Elmer Fudd. Even though Que lost against Koe, it was a good game. Now, here's hoping Johny Mo can do the job Menard couldn't.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I cant stand Koe either. Was so dissapointed Quebec couldnt beat him, but it was a great game. I have confident Morris-Cotter in front of the home crowd can do it, I sure hope so. The only thing I will take solace in if Koe wins if I like Pat Simmons. The rest of the team makes me want to hurl, especialy Koe and Rycroff.

vCash
    Quebec really put on a good show yesterday but I'm glad Alberta was able to pull through that game. We got the best possible final I think we could have asked for. I'm from Alberta and that being said I won't be upset if they win but I am hoping for Johnny Mo and the boys. They've been shooting lights out all week and Johnny has three of the nicest guys in the game backing him up, and I don't want to see them lose the Olympic Trials final and the Brier final in the same season, that would be painful. I think Alberta is going to come out firing on all cylinders if they can and try and make it difficult for BC. Jimmy has got to have the support behind him and have room left for him to score and not have it over complicated for him. He can make anything and he's proven that this week but I think it will help if they can keep it a bit simpler for him or at least leave him something. I think a key battle is second. Ty is young and a great shotmaker, but he can sometimes be a bit taken in by the moment and it bit them at Trials, if he can just look past that and settle in then BC can just go out there and do what they need to do. It's too close to predict an outcome I just hope for a good game and BC coming out of it on the other side.
    Kyle

vCash
    interesting that there is no prize $ difference between 1st and 2nd but a $10,000 difference between 3rd & 4th.

vCash
    Unfortunately BC just fell a bit flat tonight. Kevin came out and made absolutely everything and I think Jimmy's nerves got the best of him with John being subpar for him. To lose the Trials final and Brier in your career sucks, to lose both in the same season, while getting to the finals in both is a great accomplishment, to lose both, is going to be devastating especially for Jim. Lets face it, it sucks, and I feel for the guys. Alberta though, was the better team tonight without question. They didn't really miss and they did what they had to do to get the W. Off the ice, the AB guys are a decent bunch of guys. Carter is super intense and a perfectionist on the ice, but off the ice, him and the rest of the guys are very decent, personable guys. I'm not unhappy that Alberta won, they'll be the favorites at worlds by far, but I would have liked to have seen the other team won, that being said, I'm okay with this.

Poor Ty... He's lost a Canadian Junior Final, a Trials Final and now a Brier final, that stings, but hopefully they'll learn from this adversity and come back strong next year.
    Kyle

vCash
    Can anyone see my post above? It's now showing up on the board as the last post shown...

Also, did anyone happen to record the women's bronze medal game from Sochi?
    Kyle

vCash
    Koe will win his 2nd world title and Homan her 1st no problem. The only downside for Koe is it will be the 2nd time he wins Brier and worlds with the Olympic Champion, and both teams a team generally dominating him around that point in time (Martin in 2010, Jacobs in 2014) ineligible.

vCash
    While I agree Koe and Homan start as favorites, this is sport and ice is slippery. I think Sigfriddson has just a good a chance as Homan. She won silver at Olympics and has been in the finals a boatload of times. She's due to win it one of these years and this year may just be it. Koe I think starts the heavy favorite but he certainly isn't unbeatable. China will have a decent chance to beat him if it comes to it as will one or two other countries, but I expect our men's and women's teams to be in the finals of both.
    Kyle

vCash
    My wife is volunteering this week at Worlds in Saint John. They got their Tim Hortons training today. Maybe there will be behind the scene skandal! to report.

vCash
    So my favourite figure skating commentator, Pj Kwong, was doing PA announcing at the Ice Cube for the Paralympic Wheelchair Curling in Sochi. She will have some features on her blog etc.

This is an excerpt from an email she sent out - hope the links work, if not let me know and I will copy and paste them separately

Curling has been a lot of fun...will be posting a blog at
    www.pjkwong.com an some more video on the Pipers as well as 2 separate
    podcasts - 1 with the pres of the World Curling federation on
    www.openkwongdore.com - it's been a busy trip!
    Here is a direct link to the article on the bagpipers http://pjkwong.com/?p=1503
    Last edited by Skate Talker; 03-16-2014 at 07:33 PM.

vCash
    So CAN had to come up big against SWE to keep out of the 3-4 game on tie-breakers and came through - so now we see

vCash
    Agreed, even though Rachel and team had a very good week at 10-1, this definitely isn't the same team that went through the Scotties and bulldozed everyone there. They've been pushed a lot this week, Emma I noticed especially hasn't been at her best. They've been doing pretty good though as of late so I'm hoping they can really turn it on for playoffs and just start to steamroll through everyone.

Also, what a stupid mistake by Sidorova on that last draw vs. the Czechs, she didn't settle and take her time getting into her shot. She got was way too focused on the other results around her instead of focusing on her game and what she needed to do and now she may not end up with anything at all. I think the Swedes are now starting to run out of gas, after the wear-out of the Olympics and the long week there, I think it's really starting to show, especially with Maria Prytz. She's just plain burned out.
    Kyle

vCash
    The problem for Rachel was those outside rinks as it was for other teams as well. The "mean girls" got it right last night and were impressive with Rachel and Emma 1st among their peers, and Ali 2nd overall now, Lisa always ranks lower because of the tick shots. Good luck to them in the 1/2 game.....fingers x'd . Go Canada!!!!!
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Sweden looks just horrible. This isn't the same team that won silver at the Olympics and probably would have won gold but for some unlucky picks in the final vs Jones (whose team was clearly off their best in that final, while Sweden were sharper). I wonder what is wrong with them. Maybe they are depressed over losing the Olympic gold.

vCash
    I think it is very tough to peak again at worlds after the emotions of the Olympics - it is just such a long season for them I think and as we see not many teams play both events - especially as possible favourites

vCash
    Agreed, they had the grind of having to come over from Europe to play events on the tour, then the European Championships, peaking AGAIN for the Olympic Games, and then trying to peak a THIRD time for the World Championships. Prytz has been looking exhuasted this week and I certainly don't blame her! To go 8-3 after all that is still a respectable result even if they did lost a tiebreaker. I think they're just looking forward to resting and taking a break!
    Kyle

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast