Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Kurt Browning's Lillehammer short program.
    This is the 1st one that came to mind for me (he singled a DOUBLE axel for heavens sakes!), but I agree with Nancy's 1993 Worlds LP as the top choice. It's a cringe-to-watch performance (and I didn't see it when it actually happened, as I wasn't a FS fan at the time).

vCash
    Nicole Bobek in Nagano. 0 for 2 in triples in the short, stepped out of 2 Axel, and 1 for 5 in the long. Ironically, the only triple she completed at that Olympics was the loop, which she had trouble with for most of the prior year. Her LP seemed really empty IMO, so it looked like she was just skating from one failed jump to the next. Other than a well timed and executed spiral, it was sort of a bunch of nothing.

Add to the tired old music, and the dresses which were always exquisitely designed from the waist up only, and it was one of the biggest Olympic messes. (For some reason, her dresses were cut on the bottom sides like a pair of high on the hip '80's panties with a tiny flap just covering the crotchal region, and a floppy tail of an afterthought in the back. Other than that, they were beautiful.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Add to the tired old music, and the dresses which were always exquisitely designed from the waist up only, and it was one of the biggest Olympic messes. (For some reason, her dresses were cut on the bottom sides like a pair of high on the hip '80's panties with a tiny flap just covering the crotchal region, and a floppy tail of an afterthought in the back. Other than that, they were beautiful.)
    So true. Her LP that year was boring and seemed sort of common for a skater whose charisma people just loved. I always liked the design of Nicole's dresses, even if they all looked the same to me, but her skirts tended to ruin the look.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Johnny Weir - Torino free skate, he had a beautiful short program and was in second place before missing jumps in the free skate and falling to 6th place.

vCash
    So true. Her LP that year was boring and seemed sort of common for a skater whose charisma people just loved.
    It gets even worse if you watch the Eurosport version. One of the guys had this to say: "A fine girl, very popular with her friends, but this was pretty awful, I'm afraid". Poor Nicole, she had two pretty good performances at Nationals that year.

vCash
    Domina Shablin OD at the 2010 Olympics has to be the worst thing I've ever seen on ice, the only thing that comes close is their FD. That was pretty terrible too.

vCash
    Any skater who comes last has the worst performance. That is why they are last.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Any skater who comes last has the worst performance. That is why they are last.
    What if the skater performs well and up to his or her ability but still places lower than a "great skater" who pops and falls all over the place due to differences in skill?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    This would be the only category Alissa has won Worlds in.

vCash
    Scott Davis, 1994 Olympics. Big disappointment in the freeskate.

Jill Trenary, 1989 Worlds. IIRC, she had to skate right after Midori Ito's incredible performance. It was not pretty.

Kerrigan in 1993 and Weir in 2006 are also things I'd rather forget ever happened.

The only good things about those programs is that Debi Thomas in 1988 doesn't seem quite so awful in contrast. : /

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. Week View Post
    Scott Davis, 1994 Olympics. Big disappointment in the freeskate.

Jill Trenary, 1989 Worlds. IIRC, she had to skate right after Midori Ito's incredible performance. It was not pretty.

Kerrigan in 1993 and Weir in 2006 are also things I'd rather forget ever happened.

The only good things about those programs is that Debi Thomas in 1988 doesn't seem quite so awful in contrast. : /
    I don't think Jill's '89 Worlds was that bad. She wasn't falling and popping all over the place. She doubled a lot of planned triples, but the performance itself wasn't ugly. JMO.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Nancy Kerrigan at 1993 Worlds for sure. Total meltdown.

I was in the audience at 2009 Worlds for Carolina Kostner's free skate and it was pretty shocking to see her unravel so badly.

I was also at 2003 Worlds when Jeffrey Buttle fell 4 times in his free skate. It's a shame because the program itself was brilliant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Bin Yao and his partner back in the day come to mind!
    But I think there's a difference between performing "badly" in that your skills aren't at the same level as your competitors, and performing "badly" when you have a complete meltdown and can't do things you could do any other day of the year. Bin Yao and his partner probably did the best they were capable of doing at the time.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Was Johnny in Torino that bad?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I can't believe people are comparing Alissa's 7 total falls to Sasha's 2-ish falls. Not even close! Sasha's was a disappointment, but nowhere near the worst performance ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    But I think there's a difference between performing "badly" in that your skills aren't at the same level as your competitors, and performing "badly" when you have a complete meltdown and can't do things you could do any other day of the year. Bin Yao and his partner probably did the best they were capable of doing at the time.
    I agree, I was thinking more along the lines of top skaters who were likely to be on the podium or close to it. I think Brian Joubert in Vancouver would be the one who would be at the top of my list. I would have never thought he would have done so badly. Even looking at his medal results from 2002-2014, 16th looks horribly out of place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Was Johnny in Torino that bad?
    IIRC, he did only one jump combo in the LP and he messed up a double axel. It wasn't a horrible skate. There were guys who did worse. Dambier, for example. Two falls and negative GOEs on almost every jumping pass.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Poorest Olympics performance by medal contender

2010 - Tomas Verner, Brian Joubert, Carolina Kostner
    2006 - Miki Ando, Emanuel Sandhu
    1998 - Nicole Bobek, Viacheslav Zagorodniuk, Jenny Meno/Todd Sand

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I don't think Jill's '89 Worlds was that bad. She wasn't falling and popping all over the place. She doubled a lot of planned triples, but the performance itself wasn't ugly. JMO.
    Maybe not a complete meltdown, but I couldn't tell if she hit even one triple, and it looks like she singled both double Axels. Nice presentation, but very watered-down technical content. It was so sad to see her finish in third place, when a stronger program might've won her the silver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4BsEVeh-S0

Funny how this seemed so horrible at the time, but hindsight makes me think, "Hmm, this wasn't as bad as I remember."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. Week View Post
    Jill Trenary, 1989 Worlds. IIRC, she had to skate right after Midori Ito's incredible performance. It was not pretty./
    I don't believe she skated right after Midori in 1989. She did in 1990 though. It was Patricia Neske who skated after Midori in 1989.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast