Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    She skated a pretty good LP. Still not her best, her U.S Nationals one a month earlier was way better, and I far preferred much of her earlier years choreography to her wierd 1990 program but that is personal opinion. However her short program was really weak, and was lucky to get away with that and win, and only did to Ito's figures disaester.

Mao clearly should have won the SP at the 2008 Worlds and the LP at the 2010 Worlds (although I would have had Kim or Nakano winning the 2008 Worlds overall probably).
    Kim made a major mistake in the short and wasn't perfect in the long either. Her performances also lacked the usual spark probably due to the injury. The results were so close because no one was perfect at the competition. Nakano had the cleanest performances to the naked eye but she had a lot of URs, which are heavily penalized under this system. To me, Mao and Nakano gave the most inspiring performances at that Worlds. Despite the big fall in the LP, Mao got up and delivered the rest of the program quite well. The results were close but I felt it was the right winner in the end. Can't say the same about the other medalists. This was the competition that I felt Kostner was the most generously scored.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone mentioned Alexander Fadeev's long at the 1986 worlds. I remembered it as being

much worse
    That was worth watching just for the music and choreography! Oh, and the periwinkle jumpsuit....
    Gotta love the 80s.

vCash
    Viktor Petrenko's LP at the 1989 worlds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    But it was a pretty good skate from her. She had a fall (I think on the toe-loop) but I thought it was really artistic for her.
    She fell on her triple flip; the program was a step forward in terms of artistry and presentation.

vCash
    Patrick Chan's SP in Vancouver. Three falls, and he still had a personal best!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by operagirl View Post
    No, Chan fell once and score 81.15 - well below his personal best at the time which 88+ he received at the 2009 4 Continents Championships.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    Laetitia Hubert 1992 Albertville Olympics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Laetitia Hubert 1992 Albertville Olympics
    True for her LP, which is mostly what people remember. But her SP was spectacular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    As much as I adore her - Laetitia Hubert's FS in Nagano made her Albertville FS look like nothing. She simply gave up. It made her strong performances at Worlds that year all the more sweet!
    Very depressing performance. Especially since she was being touted that year as a Bronze contender, after beating Lipinski at Lalique and winning her first French championship. I can only imagine that she was distressed after her poor showing in the short. But I was also thrilled by her strong performance at Worlds that year!

In any case, as a big fan of Hubert, I'm happy that she was able to go to four Olympics, which is a rare achievement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    She fell on her triple flip; the program was a step forward in terms of artistry and presentation.
    I think a change in hair style made her look much better too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    Very depressing performance. Especially since she was being touted that year as a Bronze contender, after beating Lipinski at Lalique and winning her first French championship. I can only imagine that she was distressed after her poor showing in the short. But I was also thrilled by her strong performance at Worlds that year!

In any case, as a big fan of Hubert, I'm happy that she was able to go to four Olympics, which is a rare achievement.
    But I'm so sad she didn't manage to win a World medal Afterall, she finished 4-times in the top 6 at Worlds !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    Lu Chen, 1997 Worlds SP.

She singled 2 elements in the SP, placed 25th, and didn't even make the long program. This after winning gold in 1995 and silver in 1996.
    Lu Chen's mess up (due to injury and coaching issues?) at 1997 Worlds was staggering, but so was her comeback. She clawed her way into earning China a spot at the 1998 Olympics (Nebelhorn?), then clawed her way through the Olympic short program, and then was absolutely brilliant in the long....bronze medal....with the lovely Butterfly Lovers, iirc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by operagirl View Post
    Chan did not have a fall in the short program at the 2010 Olympics. However, he did get a 1.00 defection for a time violation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234