Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

As for designating Miki Ando to the certified skater of JSF, it was not this time.

This is an article in “Daily News” in Japan
    Translating to English from Japanese.

As for designating Miki Ando to the certified skater of JSF, it was not this time. (1/2)
    October 16th, 2013

Regarding the issue which lets Miki Ando return to the certified skater of JSF, which was reviewed, receiving the result of Kanto Championship, the general manager Hidehito Ito of figure skating in Japan Skating Federation clarified that it was not this time.

Interviewing after the board of directors of this day, he said, "According to the explanation of the training section, it was that, in the contents of her performance in Kanto Championship, she didn't reach to the level enough to designate to the certified skater for now. And it will be judged by the Higashi Nihon (eastern Japan) Championship in November".

In the Kanto Championship which became her domestic official match after an interval of two years and 10 months, the contents of the performance of Ando had been lackluster together with SP and FS, such as committing a series of mistakes in the jumps and spins.
    Her total score 147.30 points was equivalent to the 10 place approx. in Japan Nationals of last year.

The article:
    As for designating Miki Ando to the certified skater of JSF, it was not this time. (1/2)
    http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/gen...06424206.shtml

As for designating Miki Ando to the certified skater of JSF, it was not this time. (2/2)
    October 16th, 2013

Ando aims at getting the qualify to participate to the Japan Nationals which is given to the player within 6 place in the Higashi Nihon (Eastern Japan) Championship (November, Gunma prefecture).

It was found that Miki Ando was invited from International Competition "Ice Challenge" which is held in Austria, Graz in November. It seems to become the valuable field being able to experience the real match, on aiming at the Japan Nationals.

The article:
    As for designating Miki Ando to the certified skater of JSF, it was not this time. (2/2)
    http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/gen...06424206.shtml
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 10-16-2013 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    OMG! She's invited again, although she's out of JFS's international pool! And it was predicted by me last week.

As for the JFS's decision, I'm with them. Miki's TES of FS was lower than Wakaba Higuchi's, who skated at Tokyo Regional in Novice A Ladies field. Hope she'll be in better shape till her next competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    OMG! She's invited again, although she's out of JFS's international pool! And it was predicted by me last week.

As for the JFS's decision, I'm with them. Miki's TES of FS was lower than Wakaba Higuchi's, who skated at Tokyo Regional in Novice A Ladies field. Hope she'll be in better shape till her next competition.
    japanese fed made their statement clear with not designating her; kinda funny, when we see results of yuki nishino as a designated skater, but we know that would happen. hope miki can kick their asses in improving extremly in her tes.

i would like to have her back here in europe, but i don't know, if she needs more time to train than for competitions, hard to say. great, the international hosts want her, although japanese fed totally not

vCash
    Question 1: Can anybody in Japan explain to me how the division between Tokyo Regional and Kanto Regional works (I understand the geography of the other regions).
    Question 2: Has Miki participated in Kanto in the past (vs Tokyo or other region) or is it considered less competitive so to her advantage to compete there?

vCash

JSF approved that Miki Ando participate to the International Event

This is an article in "Sports Hochi" in Japan.
    Translating the excerpt of the article to English from Japanese.

Japan Skating Federation approved that Miki Ando participate to the International Event
    October 16th

In the board of directors in October 16th, Japan Skating Federation approved that Miki Ando participate to the International Event, "Ice Challenge" which is held in Graz in Austria in the end of November.
    The invitation letter from the said Event reached to JSF and Ando expressed the intention to participate.

The article:
    Japan Skating Federation approved that Miki Ando participate to the International Event
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/wi...OHT1T00122.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Question 2: Has Miki participated in Kanto in the past (vs Tokyo or other region) or is it considered less competitive so to her advantage to compete there?
    Miki Ando had never participated to any regionals in the past. As for the regionals, the participation to the Kanto regionals in this time was the first experience for her.

As the sectionals, she has ever participated to the Junior Nishi Nihon (Western Japan) Championship as the junior in 2002.
    But I think that she has never participated to the sectional competition as the senior Ladies, because the talent of Miki Ando in the figure skating excelled too much from the beginning. She didn't have to participate to the sectional competition at all.

Reference
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miki_Ando
    http://www.weblio.jp/wkpja/content/%...88%A6%E7%B8%BE
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 10-17-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: corection

vCash
    Is it sad that Miki has to go through all this. She is a two time world champion, and if she improves her stamina, she can be a medal threat at the Olympics. JSF is dead wrong in writing her off this early (at least that's how it came across to me).

vCash
    She certainly has to set ego aside, but it is probably better that she work her way back up gradually than jump unprepared into the pressure of Nationals. Surely these small comps will help her do better when it counts. I am hopeful for her. True grit!

vCash
    I hope Miki can bounce back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Is it sad that Miki has to go through all this. She is a two time world champion, and if she improves her stamina, she can be a medal threat at the Olympics. JSF is dead wrong in writing her off this early (at least that's how it came across to me).
    I don't think they are writing her off. But if you look at her elements from this last competition, she is clearly not ready at this moment. I have a huge respect for her for having baby and then trying to come back and I would love to see her either at worlds or at Olympics, but only if she is ready. If she uses one spot out of three and then skates as bad as she skated now recently, that would be unfair towards whoever skater would be left back home, and it could also mean huge crash in her confidence. I wouldn't want her to go and then perhaps finish around 10-15 place. I don't think I would enjoy watching that, and I don't thinks she would enjoy that experience either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I don't think they are writing her off. But if you look at her elements from this last competition, she is clearly not ready at this moment. I have a huge respect for her for having baby and then trying to come back and I would love to see her either at worlds or at Olympics, but only if she is ready. If she uses one spot out of three and then skates as bad as she skated now recently, that would be unfair towards whoever skater would be left back home, and it could also mean huge crash in her confidence. I wouldn't want her to go and then perhaps finish around 10-15 place. I don't think I would enjoy watching that, and I don't thinks she would enjoy that experience either.
    I don't think she is taking away any spots with bad skates. She just needs to be allowed to compete at the Japanese nationals. If she skates poorly, the spot will go to someone else. My concern is - if I understand this correctly- that she will not be allowed to even compete at the Japanese nationals, based on just one competition, which was her first one after having a baby. I expect her to be in much better shape and give her competitors a run for their money, with her powerful jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    My concern is - if I understand this correctly- that she will not be allowed to even compete at the Japanese nationals, based on just one competition, which was her first one after having a baby.
    Ando has competed twice now -- Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 25-28) and Kanto Regional:
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Time Line:
    October 10-14 Kanto Regional
    November 1-4 East Japan Sectional [top 6 will advance to Nationals]
    November 19-24 Icechallange [Graz, Austria]
    December 21-24 Japan National
    ETA:
    Nebelhorn scores: 59.79 (SP), 103.07 (FS), 162.86 total/2nd
    Kanto scores: 56.25 (SP), 91.05 (FS), 147.30 total/1st
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-16-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I know it may sound cruel, but Ando shouldn't be skating internationally while getting scores of 147.30. It will completely spoil her reputation and her the judges then will start marking her down. I watched the Nebelhorn Trophy and although she was 2nd, it was somehow careful, boring, dry, uninspiring, especially the FS... so if the Kanto competition was even worse than that, then it must have been pretty bad. (actually, it was pretty bad. Just have a look at the score sheet, posted in the Japanese thread).

Her content:
    SP 56.25(TES 28.89/PCS 27.36) 3Lz-2Lo 3Lo< 2A
    FS 91.05(TES 39.45/PCS 51.60) 3Lz< 3Lo< 2A-2T 3S 3S-2T 2T(nearly fall) 2A

Can you honestly say that you believe she deserved to be included on the team based on this competition? Would US lady or Russian lady with this content be included? Japanese Federation is not saying that they won't include her full stop. They are saying that it won't be at this moment.
    Last edited by hanca; 10-16-2013 at 09:20 PM.

vCash
    Generally speaking, skaters can have a different attitude/mindset and goals re. qualifying competitions vs. internationals. Skaters often just "do the minimum" (and conserve energy by not getting totally psyched up) in order to qualify/move on to to the next qualifying comp., so it's not really useful to compare Ando's scores in this case, IMO.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Generally speaking, skaters can have a different attitude/mindset and goals re. qualifying competitions vs. internationals. Skaters often just "do the minimum" (and conserve energy by not getting totally psyched up) in order to qualify/move on to to the next qualifying comp., so it's not really useful to compare Ando's scores in this case, IMO.
    I agree, but then she can't be surprised that for what she has shown them they decided not to include her. It may have been her choice to conserve her energy, but there are consequences... But she won it, didn't she? So she will qualify for the higher qualifying round and if she wins that, she will get her chance at nationals and may be included on the team. I really wish it to her. I like the idea of her SP. "I'll do it my way". so fitting to her!

vCash
    I don't know what the time of Miki's comeback is. She has only a very tiny chance to even make the Olympic team, and she has no hope of improving her previous Olympic best- 5th place. She already has had a great career and been to 2 Olympics. If she has some fantasies of an Olympic medal, they will remain so at this stage, a fantasy. Her chances for a medal were 2006 or 2010, but 2006 she blew and 2010 was too strong a competition for her in the end. 2014 she is not a contender even if she somehow makes it, which is very unlikely.

Is it a personal journey thing like Witt in 94? Then I could see why she is back. Otherwise I just don't get it.

vCash
    Maybe challenge. Maybe just love for the sport. Can be lots of reasons.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    "Just Do It" Miki Ando!
    Thank you for introducing this post.

vCash
    Interesting, thanks for the latest updates on Miki, Akiri Andrea.

I've been a fan of hers since she debuted on the senior circuit in that red dress and big smile, with a quad to boot! And it's been an amazing journey to see her transformation over the years. Here's to Miki overcoming her personal demons & obstacles put in her way and making it to Nationals and God willing to the Olympics. I'll be cheering her on!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast