vCash

The Manleywoman take on the best of 2014 US Nationals

I promised Allison I'd post this as she had brought it up on Facebook and couldn't do it right now. Posting it here so all can see it, enjoy!

http://www.manleywoman.com/the-20-be...championships/
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Thank you, and I loved her recap. A fun read, and I agree on all counts.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Thanks for posting that, Yazmeen! And THANK YOU to Allison for writing it. I was about #8 on her top 20 list: Talking with Michelle Kwan about wardrobe deductions in the men’s crotch area. The Kween and manleywoman discussing dance belts &etc. Really enjoyed reading all she wrote.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Wonderful recap by manleywoman! Thanks for posting, Yasmeen. And as always, thanks a bunch to Allison for sharing her Nationals experiences and impressions, as well as all the entertaining interviews with skating legends. You are compiling quite an extensive and significant historical archive, Allison. For that, I personally can never thank you enough.

Lots of priceless moments! In your recap you have expressed so well with the memories and reflections you've shared, what it is about figure skating that means so much and that casual viewers, general public and networks never seem quite able to understand. To them it seems more about hype and scandal and judging faux pas and wrapping their heads around skating conundrums and terminology. But no, it's more about years of hard work, about experiencing magical moments on the ice and watching a generation of skaters grow up and find themselves whether or not they ever make it big in the sport. Would be good for the sport if those running it understood more of what fs is actually about too.

Thanks again manleywoman!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Thanks all! It was hard to limit it to just 20. I thought about adding SkateRadio, the tweets on the jumbotron, etc. But there's only so much room.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Quadless
    vCash
    Thanks, manleywoman. I was happy to see Doug Razzano's free skate listed as that was definitely one of the highlight's of nationals for me. Also Lang and LeDuc's short. You have great taste.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Did I read somewhere that Rob Przepioski was a roller skater? I remember there was a rink with high level competitors in our area and they could take to the ice in rental skates and master every move in seconds. They were especially good at spins.

vCash
    So who's the skater with the visible dance belt, LOL ?

vCash
    Great read!!!!!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    So who's the skater with the visible dance belt, LOL ?
    Lol. In the interest of privacy, since I prefer to use discretion in my work, I'm not going to say.

But let me just say to his girlfriend . . . Congratulations.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Great job manleywoman, I really enjoyed this! Excellent picks and very entertaining anecdotes. And thanks Yazmeen for posting the link.

And because I say or at least think this any time anyone uses The Feeling Begins and people start complaining about it, it bears repeating:
    I’m a sucker for any music by Peter Gabriel.
    I am still waiting for a whole Peter Gabriel freedance.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    I haven't watched their performance from Euros yet, but I found Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen's FD to "In Your Eyes" really wonderful at the Lake Placid Ice Dance competition and on the webcast from a Canadian competition (I forget which).

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    I haven't watched their performance from Euros yet, but I found Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen's FD to "In Your Eyes" really wonderful at the Lake Placid Ice Dance competition and on the webcast from a Canadian competition (I forget which).
    Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know they skated to it, I will definitely watch it!
    ETA: And I did. Nice performance, their sweet skating is very pleasant on the eyes.
    Last edited by AYS; 01-18-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Great job manleywoman, I really enjoyed this! Excellent picks and very entertaining anecdotes. And thanks Yazmeen for posting the link.

And because I say or at least think this any time anyone uses The Feeling Begins and people start complaining about it, it bears repeating: I am still waiting for a whole Peter Gabriel freedance.
    Have you seen the Danish dance champions' FD to "In Your Eyes?" It's not the Peter Gabriel version, but I thought it was nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvmjFj2jnx4

ETA: Oops I didn't see RFOS's post!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post

And because I say or at least think this any time anyone uses The Feeling Begins and people start complaining about it, it bears repeating: I am still waiting for a whole Peter Gabriel freedance.
    Glad to hear there's one. . . Why is so little PG music used in skating? Hey, maybe someone can do a crazy "Shock the Monkey" FS next year now that vocals will be allowed.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Yazmeen, thank you so much for posting the link. manleywoman, I really enjoyed your take on the competition. Well organized along with videos. Job well done!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    As always, Allison's just fantastic! Well, it's true.