Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 327
  1. #141
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,181
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    What seems to be common is that at least one parent is involved. Apart from that, the two situations are not the same. No one was trying to take away Belbin's eligibility or claiming that she was being treated as eligible when she was not, because until legislation passed and she had a passport, she was not eligible for the Olympics. The Mitchells were trying to stop her from becoming eligible in time, so that their son and his partner could skate at the Olympics. And while the emphasis was on B/A, it was also to block Zavozin, because Matthews/Zavozin were more direct competition for Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell, and G-R/M would have realistically needed two teams above them to be ineligible.

    The ISA *has* already chose its Sochi representative, ie, whoever earned a spot at Nebelhorn, or Han.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  2. #142
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    As for Brooklee, after all this is over and she hopefully goes to Olympics and Worlds, she should consider being done.
    I totally disagree. BH is only 10-11 months older than CK. BH should STAY and ALWAYS try to beat Kerry out for any assignments Australia will have in the future. That would be the "revenge", that Brooklee will always be chosen for Oly/Worlds over Kerry their entire careers. Brooklee is simply A LOT better than CK.

    "Team" Kerry can be described with a long list of explicatives, but they will be most disturbed by Brooklee ALWAYS being better than Chantelle, who is not a very appealing skater or competitor to watch or choose to represent Australia.

  3. #143

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,570
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42553
    I think Chantelle Kerry has some very nice qualities in her skating from the videos I've watched.

    Brooklee Han has been accepted at Wesleyan University in Connecticut and deferred her entrance so she could focus on the Olympic season. Here's a recent local CT article on Brooklee Han that I posted in the Aussie Skating thread: http://newcanaan.dailyvoice.com/spor...-bid-australia
    Excerpt:
    “I think the policy is definitely in my favor,’’ Han said. “I’ve had strong international results, and I feel like I’m the one who deserves the spot and has the best chance of doing well.”
    ...
    “I think going into this season, I had some good momentum,’’ said Han, who is coached by Serhii Vaypan and trains in Newington. “I feel like I’m being taken more seriously as a senior international skater. The judges and the panels are starting to look at me more and I think I’ve improved technically in the quality of my jumps, skills and interpretation of music.”
    If she decides to continue competing for Australia after this season, I imagine her motivation would come more from a desire to further improve her skating and not "revenge."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-04-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  4. #144

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Getting drunk with Athos
    Posts
    5,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33078
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I think Chantelle Kerry has some very nice qualities in her skating from the videos I've watched.
    I agree & think it's important to keep things separate. Chantelle's improved a lot even compared to a year ago and she could potentially get even better in the future. No idea wtf she hopes to accomplish with this appeal, besides losing some goodwill in the process, but her skating itself is actually quite good & I enjoy watching her skate. I know there are no guarantees in skating, but her rate of progress the past 2 years bodes well for her chances in 2018. Hopefully she can start focusing on improving her own skating even more going forward and move on.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYvZDrWGbHg

  5. #145

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    29999
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post

    "Team" Kerry can be described with a long list of explicatives
    What exactly were you going to explain about Kerry?

    Or, given the general and very unnecessary nastiness of your post, perhaps you meant "expletives".
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  6. #146

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,273
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    "Team" Kerry can be described with a long list of explicatives,
    Can we please start dissociating a little? We know that Chantelle is involved and that at least one of the parents is. But there is no evidence so far that Brendan is complicit in any of this. So can we please not refer to them as a unit?

  7. #147
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    What exactly were you going to explain about Kerry?

    Or, given the general and very unnecessary nastiness of your post, perhaps you meant "expletives".
    No, I meant what I typed. Many explanations could be applied to how this matter has been handled by her side. However, I also agree that expletives would also apply.

    And do you know what? My post was not nasty at all except to the hypersensitive gentEEEEEEL. I was advocating for BH to stay skating for Australia and stay competitive and develop a career out of always beating CK in competition.

    That is not nasty at all. I disagree strongly with your assessment.

  8. #148
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,926
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42288
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    She may be a minor but she's not 2. Or even 12. In fact, she's 17 and a half. Which means she will stop being a minor in less than a year. Her cooperation is very much required in order for this complaint to go forward so to act like she's not complicit in these events is a bit disingenuous IMO.
    I have to say I disagree with this, being the child of a very domineering parent. No way would I have defied my mother at 17. I am not saying that either or both Chantelle's parents are domineering (for want of a better word) since I know nothing about them, or even if this fight has been instigated by them, but certainly my own experience of being seventeen was not one of being able to stand up to any kind of authority. Not all seventeen year olds are created equal.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

  9. #149
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Can we please start dissociating a little? We know that Chantelle is involved and that at least one of the parents is. But there is no evidence so far that Brendan is complicit in any of this. So can we please not refer to them as a unit?
    OK, this is true. CK and her parents have behaved abominably toward Brooklee. I think it is out of jealously that this complaint is being made, with CK knowing BH is a much better skater than she is who will always be chosen ahead of her.

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Can we please start dissociating a little? We know that Chantelle is involved and that at least one of the parents is. But there is no evidence so far that Brendan is complicit in any of this. So can we please not refer to them as a unit?
    I don't think that brough Brendan into it. Team Kerry would be the team that manages Chantelle- her coaches, parents, and if she has one publicist.

  11. #151

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3454
    Chantelle's twitter bio says "AUS born, raised and livin'!" I wonder if there is some bitterness that Brooklee was born and has lived her whole life in the U.S.

    https://twitter.com/chantelle_kerry
    Last edited by reese; 12-04-2013 at 08:29 PM.

  12. #152

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Getting drunk with Athos
    Posts
    5,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33078
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Chantelle's twitter profile says "AUS born, raised and livin'!" I wonder if there is some bitterness that Brooklee was born and has lived her whole life in the U.S.
    That's an interesting point & I wonder if her twitter always said that or if she updated it the past few months. One benefit to representing Australia is that you still have 3 sports available for 4CC so as long as you make the technical minimums, you at least get a chance to attend an ISU championship. Which is more than can be said for skaters in smaller European countries.

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    728
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Chantelle's twitter bio says "AUS born, raised and livin'!" I wonder if there is some bitterness that Brooklee was born and has lived her whole life in the U.S.

    https://twitter.com/chantelle_kerry
    But isn't Brendan living and training in the US now? I thought Tammi Gambill was his coach and he's made tremendous improvements with her. Anyhow, on another note, the fact that Team Kerry has decided to go thruough with this makes me think if they don't have any other "insider" information that is not known that makes them as well as their attorneys and whomever else they have on this think that CAS would rule differently.

  14. #154

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3454
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    But isn't Brendan living and training in the US now? I thought Tammi Gambill was his coach and he's made tremendous improvements with her. Anyhow, on another note, the fact that Team Kerry has decided to go thruough with this makes me think if they don't have any other "insider" information that is not known that makes them as well as their attorneys and whomever else they have on this think that CAS would rule differently.
    But Brendan just moved there and was born and raised (just no longer "livin!") in Australia. Brooklee could have competed for the U.S., as she was born and raised in the U.S., but I imagine her team thought Australia was a better bet.

    To be clear: I think this situation is ridiculous and the spot belongs to Brooklee.

  15. #155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Chantelle's twitter bio says "AUS born, raised and livin'!" I wonder if there is some bitterness that Brooklee was born and has lived her whole life in the U.S.

    https://twitter.com/chantelle_kerry
    I can definitely understand that. Since the Olympics are all about "national pride," living elsewhere while competing for a country you never live in and weren't born in seems disingenuous (even though Brooklee is not breaking any rules.) It doesn't seem like as big of a deal for countries with hardly any competitors, like Azerbaijan or Lithuania. When there's a small competitive contingent between native-born citizens residing in Australia vs. those who just have citizenship, I can see why Chantelle would be angry. Although the lawsuit is a bit overboard.
    Last edited by leafygreens; 12-04-2013 at 09:01 PM.

  16. #156
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,811
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    I have to say I disagree with this, being the child of a very domineering parent. No way would I have defied my mother at 17. I am not saying that either or both Chantelle's parents are domineering (for want of a better word) since I know nothing about them, or even if this fight has been instigated by them, but certainly my own experience of being seventeen was not one of being able to stand up to any kind of authority. Not all seventeen year olds are created equal.
    But such children often can't stand up to their parents when they turn 18 either.

    My objection to the "she's just a minor" argument is a general one to what I often see on this board. Which is if a skater who is 16 or older does something people approve of, it's all on them. But as soon as they do something people disapprove of, they get defended with "they're just a minor!" or, if they are 18 or older, we get "they are young!" I think that you can't blame everything Kerry does that you don't like on her parents while giving her credit for everything you do like.

    In this case, I very much doubt her parents filed this suit against her will. Or, if they did, that they would have bowed to her wishes if she were 18 and a half and not 17 and a half. I do think that 17.5 is old enough to bear responsibility for training decisions and that includes things like trying to get another skater disqualified from a spot you want at the Olympics.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  17. #157

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,218
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5633
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I can definitely understand that. Since the Olympics are all about "national pride," living elsewhere while competing for a country you never live in and weren't born in seems disingenuous (even though Brooklee is not breaking any rules.) It doesn't seem like as big of a deal for countries with hardly any competitors, like Azerbaijan or Lithuania. When there's a small competitive contingent between native-born citizens residing in Australia vs. those who just have citizenship, I can see why Chantelle would be angry. Although the lawsuit is a bit overboard.
    Chantelle needs to channel her anger differently, i.e., towards positivity and her training to be the BEST her country has to offer, so she doesn't have to resort to methods such as these to gain a competitive spot.

    O-

  18. #158

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,785
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35722
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Chantelle needs to channel her anger differently, i.e., towards positivity and her training to be the BEST her country has to offer, so she doesn't have to resort to methods such as these to gain a competitive spot.
    Chantelle's biggest problem is that she can't just shut up and skate. Because her skating just isn't good enough. She had an opportunity to automatically make the team at SDU and she didn't. So now she's trying everything else, because her skating isn't good enough. I think she's channelling her anger and bitterness towards Brooklee and her growing up in the US, because she's pissed her skating can't do the talking.

    It really bugs me when people see Australians born and/or living elsewhere as "less" Australian. I've lived overseas for more than a decade, and would take Chinese citizenship if it meant not loosing my Australian citizenship; I would certainly apply for permanent residency if I could because it would make my life a lot easier, but I am no less Australian. I'm hugely proud to be Australian. I don't (can't) vote, and I am no longer required to pay taxes in Australia. I also love China and will likely work here my working life. I know plenty of dual citizens and they are proudly citizens of both countries, but use whatever passport is most useful at the time (and cheer for whatever team is winning, mostly ) - good for them!

  19. #159

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,610
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2138
    Chantelle needs to channel her anger differently, i.e., towards positivity and her training to be the BEST her country has to offer
    EXACTLY! I wish that she had an equally smart person on her team prevail with that approach. She would certainly be better served by it.

  20. #160

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    29999
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    No, I meant what I typed. Many explanations could be applied to how this matter has been handled by her side. However, I also agree that expletives would also apply.

    And do you know what? My post was not nasty at all except to the hypersensitive gentEEEEEEL. I was advocating for BH to stay skating for Australia and stay competitive and develop a career out of always beating CK in competition.

    That is not nasty at all. I disagree strongly with your assessment.
    You are delusional. Unless you meant statements like "Chantelle, who is not a very appealing skater or competitor to watch" as compliments.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •