Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Just because Chantelle is a Grammy winning recording artist doesn't mean she's something special.

vCash
    I approve of her much-criticized use of techno.

(The entry has since been cleaned up, btw.)

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Wiki edits.

vCash
    Now you have me really thinking here. It is required for non US skaters to have approval letters to skate in US competitions. My thought is that if Brook skated without the approval, then I could see this court ruling in Kerry's favor. If they do, then Australia will loose their slot to the Olympics. What country would get that slot? Who is next in line?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post

(The entry has since been cleaned up, btw.)
    Not much.
    "She is widely known in the skating arena in Europe, New Zealand, Australia and America".
    "She has taken part in competitions in New Zealand, Dunnedin where she place second place, Europe such as Estonia, France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Austria where she won gold in Junior League and the Youth Olympic games worldwide. At national level she has averaged at first place twice and second place once."
    WTH??
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    Now you have me really thinking here. It is required for non US skaters to have approval letters to skate in US competitions. My thought is that if Brook skated without the approval, then I could see this court ruling in Kerry's favor. If they do, then Australia will loose their slot to the Olympics. What country would get that slot? Who is next in line?
    I think the next skater would be Inga Janulevičiūtė of Lithuania.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    I think the next skater would be Inga Janulevičiūtė of Lithuania.
    Inga Janulevičiūtė!!!

Diacritical marks!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Not much.
    "She is widely known in the skating arena in Europe, New Zealand, Australia and America".
    "She has taken part in competitions in New Zealand, Dunnedin where she place second place, Europe such as Estonia, France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Austria where she won gold in Junior League and the Youth Olympic games worldwide. At national level she has averaged at first place twice and second place once."
    WTH??
    I don't see that in the current version.

vCash
    I clicked on the link in your post above...but now I see that was an older version.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    then I could see this court ruling in Kerry's favor. If they do, then Australia will loose their slot to the Olympics.
    Is this a given, or just speculation?

I mean, isn't the reason Kerry is doing this so SHE can go to the Olympics? Or just to spite Han?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post

I mean, isn't the reason Kerry is doing this so SHE can go to the Olympics? Or just to spite Han?
    If her point is that Han can't go because she's ineligible as an australian skater since the competition she did in the US before Nebelhorn Trophy, then Australia would not have a spot for the Olympics.

I hope that Han can go, she improved a lot and deserve it, it would be a shame that someone else got the spot she earn

vCash

In the ISU/IOC's eyes, the spot is not tied to Han but the Australian federation, so they have the Olympic spot regardless of Han's eligibility internally for that spot.

However, my impression is that per the Australian fed criteria, the person who earned the spot at Nebelhorn got the spot. However, if it turns out that Han cannot take the spot, does the criteria allow for an alternate, i.e. Kerry? It sounds like she has the TES minimums to go the Olympics. It's just a matter whether the ISA can give it to her per their guidelines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I clicked on the link in your post above...but now I see that was an older version.
    I suppose I should have specified that it was an older version of the Chantelle Kerry entry (the entry being the thing which has since been cleaned up; hence the parenthetical in post #82).

vCash
    2014 AUSTRALIAN OLYMPIC WINTER TEAM ICE SKATING AUSTRALIA INCORPORATED NOMINATION CRITERIA – FIGURE SKATING: http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/High...ne%202013_.pdf
    5 Replacement of Athletes after Nomination by ISA to the AOC

(1) Should any nominated athlete be unable to compete in the 2014 Olympic Winter Games by reason of injury or illness then Ice Skating Australia may identify a replacement Athlete for nomination to the AOC in accordance with clause 2 of this Nomination Criteria.

(2) If Ice Skating Australia determine that an athlete who has been nominated to and selected by the AOC should be replaced by a replacement athlete then:

(a) Ice Skating Australia will recommend to the AOC that the athlete is to be replaced; and

(b) should the AOC (or during the period of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, the Chef de Mission of the 2014 Australian Olympic Team) determine that the selected athlete should be replaced; then

(i) Ice Skating Australia may nominate a replacement athlete for selection by the AOC (in accordance with this Nomination Criteria); and

(ii) the AOC (or during the period of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, the Chef de Mission of the 2014 Australian Olympic Team) may in its absolute discretion select that nominated replacement athlete. In exercising its discretion, the AOC will be subject to any conditions that apply in relation to entry for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.

6 Making of Nominations

Nominations by Ice Skating Australia must be received by the AOC by 5pm AEST on Wednesday 22 January 2014. Nominations made after this deadline (or within such further deadline as the AOC may allow) will be invalid unless made pursuant to a direction or award in respect of an appeal against non- nomination to the Ice Skating Australia Appeals Tribunal or the Court of Arbitration for Sport pursuant to the AOC’s Olympic Team Selection By-Law and which appeal had been commenced prior to the deadline for receipt of nominations by the AOC.
    ETA link to another article summarizing the situation (no new facts): http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports...-selection-row
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-03-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    In the ISU/IOC's eyes, the spot is not tied to Han but the Australian federation, so they have the Olympic spot regardless of Han's eligibility internally for that spot.
    Yes, but carrying the argument to its logical conclusion, if Han is/was not an eligible Australian skater (after allegedly competing at an event w/out permission from the Australian federation), then she would not have status as an Australian skater at Nebelhorn and her win there would be forfeit. In that case, Australia would not have a place in Sochi for any ladies skater.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Yes, but carrying the argument to its logical conclusion,
    So basically, it is speculation.
    Because we don't know that CAS will rule this way.

vCash
    So basically, it is speculation.
    Because we don't know that CAS will rule this way.
    Of course it's speculation since we don't even know what the specifics are that were submitted to the CAS.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Now you have me really thinking here. It is required for non US skaters to have approval letters to skate in US competitions.
    As far as USFS rules are concerned (see rule 3060 in the 2013-14 rulebook),
    2. Non-U.S. citizens from countries other than Canada who have documentation that they are in good standing with their own national federation and have permission from said federation to compete in U.S. Figure Skating sanctioned competitions or have requested release from said federation may be permitted to enter nonqualifying competitions.
    3. U.S. citizens who have been released by U.S. Figure Skating to represent a foreign federation must represent said federation at nonqualifying competitions. Those released to represent a foreign federation other than Canada must have documentation that they are in good standing with and have permission to compete in U.S. Figure Skating sanctioned nonqualifying competitions from said federation.
    So yes, the US does require documented permission. It would be up to the host club to verify it.

But that has nothing to do with ISA rules, which would be what is at issue. USFS rules would have no standing in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Yes, but carrying the argument to its logical conclusion, if Han is/was not an eligible Australian skater (after allegedly competing at an event w/out permission from the Australian federation), then she would not have status as an Australian skater at Nebelhorn and her win there would be forfeit. In that case, Australia would not have a place in Sochi for any ladies skater.
    Again, if the ISA violated their own rules but not any ISU rules in sending Han to Nebelhorn, as far as the ISU is concerned the results would be valid and the spot would have been legitimately earned.

As I understand it, what's at issue here is whether the ISA violated its own rules in sending Han to Nebelhorn. So yes, it's hypocritical for someone else to want her disqualified from using the spot that Han earned in order to use that spot herself, but the existence of the spot itself would not be negated from the ISU point of view.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    As I understand it, what's at issue here is whether the ISA violated its own rules in sending Han to Nebelhorn. So yes, it's hypocritical for someone else to want her disqualified from using the spot that Han earned in order to use that spot herself, but the existence of the spot itself would not be negated from the ISU point of view.
    Legally, that's probably how it looks like.

Morally... So you are making an argument which has a logical conclusion that Australia shouldn't have an Olympic spot for Ladies but then you want that spot anyway. I am rolling my eyes so hard, I'm going to bash my skull.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    The Australian Olympic Committee press conference (selection announcement) will be streamed lived here tomorrow.
    In one hour at 6:30 pm Eastern time tonight (Tuesday, Dec. 3).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast