Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    What a bizarre case of self-entitlement by Team Kerry. Shame.
    I more than agree. But this is not bizarre. Many young people of her generation, particularly in tne country I live, the USA, suffer greatly from overblown self entitlement. It is so prevalent it is being studied by Psychologists,

This insufferable skater, Kerry, should be rooting for Lee to earn a second spot so she has a chance of going, or, get out there and BEAT her for the spot. You know, compete, but no, she has to try and do it in court or to rattle Han into poor performances through pressure.

I know I get a bad rep here for being "nasty", and this is just bait! LOL I will just say SHAME ON HER and her entire team. Or as we say on the ice, "SHUT UP AND SKATE!"

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Is this the international CAS? I don't see anything published under "Recent Decisions" involving ISA or Kerry on the CAS site, but there's a distinction between confidential and non-confidential cases. I'm not sure where they make the distinction: perhaps because Kerry is a minor?
    The Associated Press article states:
    Kerry was unsuccessful in another appeals tribunal appeal in August in which she argued Han should not be allowed to attend an Olympic qualifying event in Germany, where Han ultimately earned a spot for the Winter Olympics.
    "Appeals tribunal appeal" is not the same as CAS, so it's possible the first article I posted at the beginning of this thread was wrong on that point. I'll try and get the "2nd" removed from my thread title. ETA: Thanks to the admin. who has since edited the original thread title at my request.

Excerpt from Ice Skating Australia's (ISA) Constitution:
    http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/Rule...nstitution.pdf
    APPEALS
    ARTICLE 26
    1. Appeals from any decisions of the Council or the Board concerning the application of the Constitution, Regulations or Policies of the Association may be heard in the first instance by an Appeal Tribunal appointed by the Association with any subsequent appeal to be heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
    2. The sole grounds for any appeal are that the Constitution, Regulations or Policies of the Association were not properly followed and/or implemented.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-03-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: To quote kwanfan1818's post for context
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Without wanting to stir up trouble, could the root of all this be that Skate DownUnder was supposed to be used to choose the Nebelhorn spots? Chantelle skated at SDU, Brooklee didn't, but had done the local US comp not long before. If Chantelle was told that SDU was the selection competition, she turned up and won, and then the ISA has given the spot to Brooklee against their advice of the selection criteria, then I can see that Chantelle could be justifiably angry.

IIRC wasn't it in the inverse in 2006? Miriam wasn't told that 4CC would be the comp and not Nationals?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Without wanting to stir up trouble, could the root of all this be that Skate DownUnder was supposed to be used to choose the Nebelhorn spots? Chantelle skated at SDU, Brooklee didn't, but had done the local US comp not long before.
    This came up in the Aussie Skating thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4038567
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/High...ne%202013_.pdf (scroll down to "Selection to compete at the ISU Olympic Qualifying Competition")

I assume clause 4 ("Illness/Misadventure/Extenuating Circumstances") was applied.
    Illness was the official reason given for Han's WD from Skate DownUnder.

ETA link to an article I posted in the 2013 Skate DownUnder thread in Kiss and Cry back in August: http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/new...ight-up-sydney
    Relevant excerpt:
    Needing a score of 141.88 to automatically secure her ticket to the Olympic Qualifying tournament, Chantelle was faced with the huge task of bettering her personal best by nearly 14 points.

Skating to music from the TV show Once Upon a Time, Chantelle produced a mature performance, indicative of the refined skater she is becoming, but she fell agonisingly short of the points she needed, finishing with 137.56.

“To be honest, I didn’t have the performance I was hoping for,” the 17-year-old skater said. “But it was still a personal best score so obviously I am still happy with that

“I know I made mistakes in it but seeing as I already got a personal best that just shows me that I have a lot of room to grow and we just have to wait and see what happens now."

Selectors now face the challenge of deciding which athlete to send to Germany for the ladies event. Australian Brooklee Han was unable to compete this week due to illness so a decision must be made as to whether officials send her or Chantelle to try and secure the Olympic quota place. A decision will be made in coming days so it’s business as usual for Chantelle who will get straight back into training, focusing on the upcoming Junior Grand Prix in Poland.
    Brooklee Han's most recent international was last month's Volvo Open Cup in Latvia, which she won with a total score of 151.76 (doesn't count as her new ISU PB because it's a Senior B):
    SP: 53.95 30.71 (TES) 23.24 5.80 5.55 6.00 5.80 5.90 0.00 #16
    FS: 97.81 50.09 (TES) 48.72 6.15 5.75 6.10 6.10 6.35 1.00 #16
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-03-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Without having seen Chantelle's official complaint, I'm thinking that her argument may be a bit problematic for her if her goal is to go to the Olympics.

If Chantelle's argument is that Han lost or voided her ISA eligibility when she skated at a US summer competition (Hershey?), then it follows that Han was ineligible to secure the Olympic spot at Neblehorn because she was no longer an ISA member at the Neblehorn event. Therefore, Australia failed to secure a spot for the Olympics, as no ISA representative earned an Olympic minimum score.

Now, if Chantelle's goal is to prevent Han from going, regardless of whether Chantelle goes, then her complaint makes a little more sense to me. Otherwise, Chantelle's assertion forces Australia to forfeit its Olympic spot, and no one goes.

What am I missing . . . .

vCash
    Yes, if we follow that logic then Australia shouldn't have an Olympic spot in the first place...

vCash
    This is appalling, chantelles team is doing her an injustice by persuing such an invalid and unjustified claim to an Olympic spot! Perhaps it's time they acknowledged how lucky Chantelle was to go to the youth Olympics, a spot qualified by Han who was to old to go herself. Chantelle had the same opportunity to secure a spot and didn't do it! Chantelle does not have the technical score Brooklee has and it's time for a big reality check for team Kerry!! Chantelle is a developing skater, BUT she is not Olympic material yet!! How about she works as hard as she can for the next 4 years and earns her country a spot for 2018, then let's hope no one does this to her!!

vCash
    The ugliness of ugly. shame. Agree with "just wondering" 's point. Can't have it both ways

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I hope one would careful with harsh words on Chantelle Kerry. We Aussies will decide what is good and right for ourselves.
    That's very true, but that doesn't mean we can't have an opinion about it.

I find it hilarious that Chantelle wants the Olympic spot that Brooklee earned at Nebelhorn for herself. Talk about lack of sportsmanship.

vCash
    finally watched her performance at 4CC this year on youtube.

nice style, good ina bauer, interesting inverted (?) sit spin ... but DEAR OH DEAR, wonky jumping technique and it doesn't seem as though any of the jumps are consistent. Brooklee Han is miles, miles ahead technically ....

vCash
    This is disgusting and unsportsmanlike. Doesn't really embody the spirit of the Olympic Games now, does it?

vCash
    Poor Brooklee

Any idea on when the CAS will hear/rule on this case?

vCash
    Just for the record, Chantelle, your ISU PB score would put you 14th at Nebelhorn 2013.

And its not like she is one of those skaters who is much better than her ISU PB. So its very possible that Australia would not have the spot if Chantelle had competed for it. She would be better off just trying to improve her jumps and win Nationals than do this nonsense. Not that I condone it, but even Tonya Harding's team had a more logical line of thinking Well, then again, not really, because its not as if Nancy was Tonya's only competition at the Olympics. Nevermind I take it back, Tonya's team was VERY stupid also.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    If we're playing with numbers... Chantelle Kerry's season best total score was 137.56 at 2013 Skate DownUnder in September, followed by 127.52 at Nepela Trophy (neither Senior B score is counted by the ISU). The 6th place finisher (Brazil's Isadora Williams) in the Olympic qualifying competition at 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy scored 130.08.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    finally watched her performance at 4CC this year on youtube.
    To be fair, that was not one of her better performances. Kerry's ISU personal best FS score (81.02) was set at this year's JGP in Gdansk, Poland (the week after her win at Skate DownUnder): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYvZDrWGbHg

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    As someone involved with the sport here and currently working here with Nationals, I think people need to be very careful about jumping to assumptions or making judgements about this case. I think some of the comments are pretty unfair about Chantelle Kerry as I don't think people have all the facts.
    I agree with you, BUT... this is a (mostly anonymous) Internet forum and it is inevitable that some people will be "jumping to assumptions or making judgements" without knowing all the facts in the case because we're not privy to them. I personally don't like to see any young skater being bashed on the Internet.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-03-2013 at 03:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    IIRC wasn't it in the inverse in 2006? Miriam wasn't told that 4CC would be the comp and not Nationals?
    The argument was that Miriam wasn't given enough notice about 4CC being used for the Olympic selection. AOC eventually dismissed the case

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Ska...864858851.html
    http://corporate.olympics.com.au/A83...C6644E8AEDAA1D
    Last edited by ioana; 12-03-2013 at 03:46 PM.

vCash
    Chantelle Kerry would do well to review the Olympic oath:

“In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams.”
    http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrar...1/JOHv3n1c.pdf

At this point, even if Brooklee Han couldn't compete, I think ISA would be extremely reluctant to send someone who fails to demonstrate the true spirit of sportsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I am not against Brooklee since she earned her spot and I have personally commented on her nice skating and send her good wishes. But I am against using harsh words on Chantelle.

*snip*

Well, I should have know better, figure skating is all Now feel free to crucify Chantelle, I am
    No one is forcing you to read the posts in this thread or, for that matter, anything on FSU. You are certainly entitled to your views, but so is everyone else here. Telling people from outside Australia that they have no right to express their opinions, however, is disrespectful and xenophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Chantelle
    Precisely!

Chantelle

vCash
    Here's hoping CAS nips this ASAP and rules in favor of Brooklee. And if they don't, that Australia loses their spot entirely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Here's hoping CAS nips this ASAP and rules in favor of Brooklee. And if they don't, that Australia loses their spot entirely.
    Honestly, by the time Jo Carter was allowed to compete in 2006, she was pretty clearly affected by the whole controversy and didn't skate well at all in the short program. The sooner this gets sorted out the better. For everyone involved.
    And, at least back in 2006 I understood where Miriam was coming from since she was already 29-30 and that was her last shot at the Olympics. Chantelle is all of 17 which only makes the whole process more

vCash
    BTW, is this Chantelle Kerry's doing, or is the appeal mostly her parents' decision?

vCash
    Chantelle Kerry is my favorite Obskure Oceanian Skater (and will probably remain so ). That said, I don't wish her any success in this dispute.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast