Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    What if the appeal is based on Han not skating the competition that was to determine the Australian representative at Nebelhorn and then being given the spot anyways - could Han be declared ineligible on that basis which would seem to allow Australia to keep the Olympic berth but disqualify Han from skating because she was chosen in violation of the federation rules - not sure I've correctly followed all the twists in this saga.

vCash
    V. interesting. But I think the Australian federation set some clear rules ... as in, Kerry would have to score a certain number of points at Skate Down Under before being picked.

This whole saga is getting out of hand! (At the moment, it all sounds as though Kerry is trying to take away Brooklee's dream.) Too bad arbitration proceedings are confidential, as I would love to sit in and listen to the lawyers' submissions!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    What if the appeal is based on Han not skating the competition that was to determine the Australian representative at Nebelhorn and then being given the spot anyways - could Han be declared ineligible on that basis which would seem to allow Australia to keep the Olympic berth but disqualify Han from skating because she was chosen in violation of the federation rules - not sure I've correctly followed all the twists in this saga.
    It could, only Brooklee was not at SDU because she was ill, and Chantelle was given a chance to automatically qualify to skate for a spot by getting above the score stated, but she didn't. This argument is a better one for Australia, though. But she's picking a straws if she first says one reason (skating at Hersey) and then another (not at SDU) and none of them related to Chantelle actually argue for herself to go, rather against Brooklee going. That's what's terrible IMO.

I think it's too late to give Chantelle the spot. She argued that she should have gone to skate for a spot, she lost. I think it's too late now to argue she should go, because she didn't get the spot. It's impossible to say whether we would have a spot had Chantelle gone (though I doubt it). What we do know is that Brooklee went, she won a spot, and therefore it should be hers. Australia either looses the spot () or Brooklee goes, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    What if the appeal is based on Han not skating the competition that was to determine the Australian representative at Nebelhorn and then being given the spot anyways
    I'm thinking the time for objecting over not being selected for Nebelhorn has long since passed. That dispute needed to be resolved when there was still time to change that decision (iow, before Nebelhorn). Besides, that issue was already raised and the appeals board ruled against her. She can't just keep raising the same issue over and over. As initially described, the new complaint is based on the argument that Han has somehow lost her Australian eligibility by skating in a US club event without her Federation's advance permission (or something like that).

vCash
    Sigh ... it's only a (presumably) silly little club event. I just doubt whether the Federation's permission is so fundamental when it comes to club competitions. In any event, I doubt whether Brooklee had any clues about the need to obtain the permission etc.,

One way or the other, Brooklee's preparation is now being affected and she's already missing out on the opportunities associated with announcement of the Olympic team e.g. attending press conferences. It all appears v. sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Well, there is a chance that if Brooklee had been deemed ineligible by the federation prior to Nebelhorn that Chantelle could have earned Australia the spot. Since she didn't get a chance to go, we don't know that Chantelle wouldn't have qualified the spot herself so you can't hold that against her. (OK, that's a bit of a stretch...)
    She would need over 130 points in order to secure a spot and she only got this kind of score once over the last two seasons IIRC, at Skate Down Under (where her PCS were much higher than what she usually gets).

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Of course people will. But I am really disturbed by some of vitriol and nasty things being said about a skater here. I know both skaters and the parents personally. This is the reason why I tell skaters never to venture on these forums. I think I will keep away from this thread from now on.
    What is nasty and disturbing is team Kerry trying to take away a spot from another skater who has earned it fair and square. And not once but twice.

If Kerry thinks she deserves to go to Olympics, she has had plenty of opportunities to beat Han in competition and to earn a higher average score. She has never managed either. She doesn't have a leg to stand on, so she's trying to get Han ineligible based on technicalities. Very classy.

vCash
    I hope this gets resolved quickly and favorably so Brooklee can focus on her Olympic preparation and not have this distraction hanging over her. I always felt the 2006 controversy with Manzano played a role in Joannr Carter not making it to the freeskate in Turin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    What is nasty and disturbing is team Kerry trying to take away a spot from another skater who has earned it fair and square. And not once but twice.

If Kerry thinks she deserves to go to Olympics, she has had plenty of opportunities to beat Han in competition and to earn a higher average score. She has never managed either. She doesn't have a leg to stand on, so she's trying to get Han ineligible based on technicalities. Very classy.
    I think, until we know otherwise, it might be classy to give this young lady, who is a minor, the benefit of the doubt in that it well may be the adults around her who have pushed this challenge.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Bittersweet result for Sochi skate selection: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226775450193
    Excerpt (sentence bolded by me):
    However, she [Chantelle Kerry] has been in dispute with Han over the Olympic position for some months. In August she unsuccessfully appealed Ice Skating Australia's decision to send Han to the Olympic qualifying event. Han competed and secured a quota place for Australia in September but Kerry will argue that Han is ineligible for Olympic selection because she competed at a US event without the approval of the national federation. Ice Skating Australia is defending Han's position.

Winter Olympic team chief Ian Chesterman said he was looking for a fast resolution to the dispute. "The sooner it's resolved the better," he said. "The worst thing for everyone will be to have it drag on."

He hopes to confirm the successful contender's place in the team before Christmas.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I think, until we know otherwise, it might be classy to give this young lady, who is a minor, the benefit of the doubt in that it well may be the adults around her who have pushed this challenge.
    Team Kerry would include the adults around her. If they want her to be in Sochi so bad, they should pay for her spectator ticket to watch Brendan. As for Brooklee, after all this is over and she hopefully goes to Olympics and Worlds, she should consider being done. It's obvious this drama with Team Kerry will simply continue. They seem obsessed actually. Not a very positive competition environment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Bittersweet result for Sochi skate selection: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226775450193
    Excerpt (sentence bolded by me):
    Glad that ISA is defending Han; they are probably going 'wth, really?' with this latest compliant.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    She may be a minor but she's not 2. Or even 12. In fact, she's 17 and a half. Which means she will stop being a minor in less than a year. Her cooperation is very much required in order for this complaint to go forward so to act like she's not complicit in these events is a bit disingenuous IMO.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    How can Kerry argue that Brooklee Han did not have the federation's approval with the federation supporting Han? It doesn't even make any sense.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    ITA. Kerry should, "Shut Up and Skate."

vCash
    I hope that all this isn't going to affect Brooklee Han's skating too much and she can give a performance at the Australian Nationals (and I hope later on the Olympics) that she is going to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    She may be a minor but she's not 2. Or even 12. In fact, she's 17 and a half. Which means she will stop being a minor in less than a year. Her cooperation is very much required in order for this complaint to go forward so to act like she's not complicit in these events is a bit disingenuous IMO.
    Yes. She's not a child and she surely knows the difference between right and wrong.

vCash
    Because she's arguing ineligiblility, I hope Australia doesn't loose our spot altogether. Really truly sour grapes.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    This whole thing is just nasty/sad...
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I will never watch Chantelle's skating the same way again; she's not fighting to go, she's fighting for someone else not to go so she can go. She's not arguing that she's done anything to earn the spot because she hasn't.
    Yeah. Like that parent who was trying to get Tanith kicked out of 2006 Olympics when BA won the spots.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    It could, only Brooklee was not at SDU because she was ill, and Chantelle was given a chance to automatically qualify to skate for a spot by getting above the score stated, but she didn't. This argument is a better one for Australia, though. But she's picking a straws if she first says one reason (skating at Hersey) and then another (not at SDU) and none of them related to Chantelle actually argue for herself to go, rather against Brooklee going. That's what's terrible IMO.

I think it's too late to give Chantelle the spot. She argued that she should have gone to skate for a spot, she lost. I think it's too late now to argue she should go, because she didn't get the spot. It's impossible to say whether we would have a spot had Chantelle gone (though I doubt it). What we do know is that Brooklee went, she won a spot, and therefore it should be hers. Australia either looses the spot () or Brooklee goes, IMO.
    I'm not defending Chantelle but isn't it up to the federation to send whomever they decide once the spot has been garnered? For example, Ashley and Gracie won the three women's spots back, but they are not guaranteed to make the team unless they perform well at nationals.

vCash
    The Australian federation's published selection policy (linked earlier in this thread) states that the skaters who qualified Olympic spots at 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy (Brooklee Han, Brendan Kerry, Danielle O'Brien/Greg Merriman) are the ones who go to the Sochi Olympics unless they become ill or injured.

ETA:
    If I did my time conversion properly, the Senior Ladies SP is scheduled to start at 2:30 am Eastern time (Kerry skates #1, Han #7 of 9). Link to the Australian FS Championships thread in Kiss and Cry where results/video links are being posted: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Championships
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-04-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast