Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    It is true, but if it became the rule I could see figure skating in other countries go from obscure to non-existent. With skaters knowing they have about zero chance of ever performing at a big event, what would be the point of training for them?
    Besides, it's not only a problem of skating, such a situation happens in many sports. It's just the way it is.
    I think that's why I enjoy watching the Grand Prix Events so much. You get to see skaters that you would not at the major champs. Plus a lot of tv networks won't show the full 24 in a free skate now just the top skaters.
    I remember watching the 2006 Olympics on Eurosport & being told of these two amazing ladies Asada & Kim who were too young to compete in Turin but never having seen them as Eurosport did not show the Grand Prix Series that season-Junior or senior.

vCash
    So the Europeans have started today.
    In the ladies Sotnikova was amazing & really showing what she can do ahead of Sochi.
    Lipnitskaya always get's great marks from the judges & today was no exception.
    Carolina is so special to watch. She really has become a true lady on the ice. Can she come from third place to win another European title ?.
    The Olympics is less than a month away & I hope Carolina stays calm until then !.

vCash
    Pairs will be great for Europe. Europe should for sure get the gold and silver there, although probably not the bronze.

Mens will not be a success for Europe. Probably no medals, although I guess one could surprise with a bronze if it a messy event.

Ladies? They have some chances, but atleast 2 of the 3 medals will probably come from outside Europe, and possibly all 3, and a European getting the gold is very unlikely.

Dance will probably see the bronze go to a European

vCash
    So Aliona & Robin withdrew from the Euro's after lying second after the SP. That's bad news as V/T had a nightmare FS with three falls.
    V/T have had a couple of bad free skates now but I think the judges love them so much that a clean SP in Sochi should give them a big enough cushion to have a poor FS.
    It kinda reminds me of Plushenko in Turin in 06'.
    Aliona & Robin could have won the European Gold in Hungary with a good skate & gone into Sochi having defeated V/T at both the Euro's & GPF.

vCash
    I think A/R withdrawing was a big mistake .. After being behind by so many points they probably thought it best to withdraw.
    So they thought . But Russians had a very bad skate.. And Germany probably would have won Gold. Wrong move for Igor .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancypancy View Post
    I think A/R withdrawing was a big mistake .. After being behind by so many points they probably thought it best to withdraw.
    So they thought . But Russians had a very bad skate.. And Germany probably would have won Gold. Wrong move for Igor .
    Total agreement.
    They had a real chance to go to Sochi with two big wins.
    They did not look like they wanted to be in Hungary.
    It's 2010 all over again.

vCash
    People, Aliona has serious health issues. Do you really think they withdrew because they were afraid of losing? I could believe it with any other couple, but not with S/S. They're the most ambitious skaters I've ever seen, Aliona especially, and if they withdrew, there really must have been no other option. There was no point in risking getting a serious injury that would rule them out of Sochi just to prove V/T they can still beat them. I think it was a wise decision.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Aljona is sick, and according to a translation of the German commentary: "what they said is that it is better not to compete so that she will not have to spend ten days in bed afterwards because of the strain of the competition."

So it could be that they looked at this competition as something that wasn't worth losing training time. If they'd had a crystall ball and knew V&T would bomb, and thought she could rally to land their content, they might have thought the risk was worth it. A win here would have been huge. They are skipping the team event so they might have been able to get in enough recovery time befoe Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    People, Aliona has serious health issues. Do you really think they withdrew because they were afraid of losing? I could believe it with any other couple, but not with S/S. They're the most ambitious skaters I've ever seen, Aliona especially, and if they withdrew, there really must have been no other option. There was no point in risking getting a serious injury that would rule them out of Sochi just to prove V/T they can still beat them. I think it was a wise decision.
    But this is the biggest season (& maybe last) of their career.
    Just step up.
    I've spent the afternoon watching them talk on German TV. They could have skated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    When Koster won in 2012 it was the first time in almost 25 years that a skater from Europe not Russian or ex Soviet won the Ladies world championship since Witt won in 1988.
    When making this statement, you also have to realize that Russia didn`t win a ladies championship until 1999. So saying `non-russian Europeanss`haven`t won since 88 is kind of not as amazing of a statement.

vCash
    Twitter:

lifeskate ‏@lifeskate 45m
    Javier Fernandez to carry Spain flag! http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...rry-spain-flag

vCash
    I thought S/S withdrawal was on the other hand very good for them afterwards. Besides the illness obviously.

The ISU won't want such an ending to the pairs competition even if it means Russia losing gold. V/T skated last and had a poor performance, clearly not the championships winning performance given how S/K skated. Even considering the SP, in a fair world, V/T would be at least second overall.

If it happens at the olympics not only with the germans in the mix, it would be the ISU worst nightmare ; Canada would be quick too to cry out loud about the judging if one or two of their teams have clean skates while V/T implode again in the LP.

I thought also, the champion's interview V/T gave wasn't their best political move even though it was very well handed and open. Considering the circumstances, they did their best and didn't care to lie because in that way they were still true champions that night. You have to say, such a situation is also a nightmare for the skaters.

To avoid that situation again, this time in front of the world's eyes, I'm quite sure the judges will try not to put the russians to much in the lead after the SP, levelling a bit the marks in the others' team favor and specially the german & chinese's teams if clean. If the russians are clean in the LP as well, then their marks will break all the reccords we ever seen.
    Last edited by Nours; 01-22-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12