Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Thrilled for them! Great news.

vCash
    I'm absolutely thrilled for them. On the plane to Detroit for SA, I sat beside two of her family members. They said she was really worried about the outcome. I told them she was such an attractive young lady. They said she was beautiful on the "inside" too. I'm so happy, happy, happy.

vCash
    Joining in Congratulations. Great news.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    IN article: At last: Tobias granted Lithuanian citizenship
    Excerpt:
    "We're both excited and happy. Now we know it's just hard work. We've got to skate our hearts out," said Stagniunas, whose Olympic dream was shut down four years ago when then partner Katherine Copely was denied Lithuanian citizenship.

He said Tobias woke him up at 6:30 a.m. with the news.

"I called and screamed into the phone," Tobias said.

"We're very thankful to the president," Stagniunas said. "This is an athlete's dream."

They don't yet have a date for a citizenship ceremony, but the duo, which trains in Detroit with coach Igor Shpilband, anticipates going to Lithuania sometime before the end of the year to finalize details and get Tobias' passport. Tobias said she understands they will meet with Grybauskaite when they're there.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I am very happy for them. These two deserves it very much.

Can't wait to Watch them.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Tobias took the oath of citizenship today, according to this article they posted to Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/tobiasstagn...00996173288537

The google translation says that she's expected to receive her passport tomorrow.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    these pics are kinda heartbreaking; i am really happy for tobias.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    these pics are kinda heartbreaking; i am really happy for tobias.
    I think those are more like tears of joy! Her dream has come true. I wish them both good luck in Sochi!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I think those are more like tears of joy! Her dream has come true. I wish them both good luck in Sochi!
    surely these are tears of joy. i meant it the same way, how finally her dream comes true.

vCash
    Congrats to Tobias - and just in the nick of time for Sochi! I wasn't too familiar with her - I looked at her bio on wikepedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_Tobias - she competed for Georgia as well? If so then does she still hold citizenship for Georgia as well as the U.S.?

vCash
    I don't know why anyone doubted this would happen.... You pay enough money and... MAGIC!! You are an international level ice dancer... and then... MAGIC AGAIN!!! You have been exceptionally granted citizenship... No surprise here..

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Considering that Stagniunas' last partner was denied citizenship, and Tobias was denied at least once before, it was hardly a slam dunk. In fact, the opposition party claimed that granting Tobias citizenship so that Stagniunas could compete in the Olympics was becoming a popular cause in Lithuania, and the only reason the President granted Tobias citizenship was that there was an upcoming election.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    You pay enough money and... MAGIC!! You are an international level ice dancer...
    Of course it's that simple and she hasn't done any hard work or training for many years. If it's as simple as paying money, maybe it's not too late for Warren Buffett to get an OGM! Having money is an advantage for sure, but it still takes hard work, talent, and some degree of luck to be able to compete and succeed internationally in ice dancing (success is relative, but in my book, being good enough to qualify the spot for the Olympics certainly is a lot of success and I doubt in my whole life I'll achieve anything that prestigious and certainly most people don't).

vCash
    I don't know why anyone doubted this would happen.... You pay enough money and... MAGIC!! You are an international level ice dancer... and then... MAGIC AGAIN!!! You have been exceptionally granted citizenship... No surprise here..
    Somebody forgot to take their anti bitter pills this morning.. Geez.. It's not as if she is taking a spot from anybody; WHOM could LTU send in their place??

vCash
    It must be difficult for you seeing a girl coming from wealthy family, with good looks and successful at what she loves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Congrats to Tobias - and just in the nick of time for Sochi! I wasn't too familiar with her - I looked at her bio on wikepedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_Tobias - she competed for Georgia as well? If so then does she still hold citizenship for Georgia as well as the U.S.?
    She represented Georgia for a short time and I don't think she has ever obtained Georgian citizenship.

I can understand feeling bitter about this but figure skating is a sport for rich people. Unless you're lucky enough to live in a country where skating is subsidised (and even then to achieve more, you need to have money to pay for more resources to really achieve something in most cases), you need to comfortable financially to afford the lessons, the costumes, travelling to competitions and other related costs.

Tobias might be far from being the best skater technically but she is an excellent performer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    She represented Georgia for a short time and I don't think she has ever obtained Georgian citizenship.

I can understand feeling bitter about this but figure skating is a sport for rich people. Unless you're lucky enough to live in a country where skating is subsidised (and even then to achieve more, you need to have money to pay for more resources to really achieve something in most cases), you need to comfortable financially to afford the lessons, the costumes, travelling to competitions and other related costs.

Tobias might be far from being the best skater technically but she is an excellent performer.
    So you can compete internationally at say lower level events for a country even if you don't hold citizenship from said country?

In any event I'm happy for Tobias. She had tears of joy in her eyes at the ceremony!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    So you can compete internationally at say lower level events for a country even if you don't hold citizenship from said country?
    You only need citizenship in order to compete at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You only need citizenship in order to compete at the Olympics.
    I see. Interesting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12