Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    At least in the US, gymnastics is a hell of a lot more popular than figure skating too.
    Is it really? How do gymnastics broadcasts do between the Olympics? I didn't find any data on a quick Google search? I also wonder how much online subscriptions cut into TV ratings, if those are what people are going by. Is there a gymnastics equivalent to IceNetwork? I know that I often don't watch the TV broadcasts if I've already seen the event live online.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    But I think Asada would have stopped skating competitively - wouldn't have tried to fix her technical issues - and we wouldn't have been able to see her all these years if she had won the Olympics in '06 - and maybe the Olympic Champion in 2010 would have been Lipnitskaya - she won Russian Nationals four years ago didn't she - if the rules didn't exist the reality is that the Olympics would be filled with skaters under the age of 15 - and skaters who were older wouldn't be able to do the technical content and we see that time and again where young skaters have all the jumps and then lose them as they hit 16 or 17. I really don't want skating to become like gymnastics where in order to be Olympic Champion you need to be turning 16 or 17 that year or else you won't have the ability - next year is the middle year between Summer Olympics and I think if you were to follow the world gymnastics champions you would find that most (in the ladies event) don't make their respective Olympic teams two years later.
    Well, yes ...
    But you could arguably say that about any skater .
    And it wouldn't always be a good thing

Honestly ?
    I hate Olympic years,
    You get to see the athletes you've followed for 4\8 years get edged on the last turn by youngsters\people who are having one solid season at the right time\people who are pushed to higher scores by politics, to win the most prestigious honour ... no picnic

Christ, I'm still dealing with the fact that at least 4 of my favourites won't even make it out of their nationals
    Last edited by Eladola; 12-03-2013 at 10:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Is it really? How do gymnastics broadcasts do between the Olympics? I didn't find any data on a quick Google search? I also wonder how much online subscriptions cut into TV ratings, if those are what people are going by. Is there a gymnastics equivalent to IceNetwork? I know that I often don't watch the TV broadcasts if I've already seen the event live online.
    I don't know about ratings but gymnastics has far more participants in the US. You can find gymnastics classes in almost any town, even if you have to go to a YMCA for them. Figure skating doesn't have nearly the same amount of participants. Having worked in both figure skating and gymnastics, the latter group far outweighs the former. It's not even close. You don't even need inside info to know that , though. Just compare the "likes" and "followers" of major outlets for each sport on Twitter and Facebook, for starters. Gymnastics kills figure skating in numbers.

vCash
    She looks the best I've ever seen her look in this GPF training clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg834tyWN84&hd=1

She can rotate the 3axel-2toe and the 3flip/3loop again, her skating looks to be in amazing condition.

vCash
    Thanks so much for that link, Karpenko, I must've watched it at least a dozen times now. And I can't get over the fact that Mao's *second* 3axel is even better than her first! Not only that, it looks like she's going for TWO 3/3 combos!?! If so, that means she'll be the first lady in history to do an 8 triple long program. WOW, she just keeps getting better & better. She's going for more content than she did back in 2010; not only two 3axels, but an 3 triple program as well.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO MAO!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    I've been trying to correct my mistake for the past 10 minutes, but am unable to, thus this extra post. I meant to say 8 triple program.

vCash
    Mao had planned 8 triple program at the beginning of this season. see this interview http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4016618

And then she got good response from the practices with her 3As before NHK Trophy. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4047261

She practiced every her runthroughs with TWO 3As.(3A, 3A-2T) after finishing NHK Trophy. Maybe her planned jump contents have seven triples at Grand Prix final. She plans to do 3F-3Lo as the recovery for the two 3A. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4069063

It's a shame I don't have enough time to translate the article but I read something that she wish to do all of 3A, 3A-2T, and 3F-3Lo sooner or later. And supposedly her long program would consist of 8 triples.

...she is such a egoistic athlete. Love to see her lion hearted again. Do whatever you want since you want to cap your life as a competitive skater in this season, Mao.
    Last edited by rosewood; 12-06-2013 at 05:16 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12