Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Alissa Czisny
    Definitely. Pretty girl, pretty skating.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Mao Asada - lovely skater

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    The best Pretty Princesses are lovely. The problem starts when femaile skaters are being squeezed into the "princess" mold whether it's their style or not.
    As for the good ones; how about Kiira Korpi at Europeans 2011, with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". It's the Pretty ( gloriously gorgeous, really) Princess going slightly jazzy, with a beautiful result.
    http://youtu.be/YnU_j_ZA-tc
    I agree. I hate it when skaters are forced to conform to a soft, lyrical (in the U.S. - an almost Beauty Pageant style) because it is unconvincing and obvious that it's conformist. I'm not talking about paying attention to movement and bodyline because, IMO, that's always important (even if one wanted to stray and do something more athletic and less "feminine" whatever that word means to most people).

However, I dislike the way people have been very dismissive of skaters who excel at this style. It's almost a refusal to appreciate the positive qualities that this style brings. Pretty Princess does not necessarily equate to fake or slow or boring. I think if done well, it can be deep, thoughtful, and interesting. I think Alissa Czisny's 2010-2011 long program fits that bill. It was unusual skating music and she certainly looked put together for the routine. But I found the choreography interesting and Czisny interpreted it the best anyone could possibly interpret that music.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    What defines a pwetty princess type skater. If it being a balletic, feminine skater with a dainty sense about them (even if often deceiving to their tough interior) in competition, then even Michelle Kwan could be termed as one.

Since I will define as skaters that fit atleast a somewhat enigmatic mode though I would pick Tiffany Chin 84. She had all the qualities of Cohen at her best, minus anywhere near the same spirals but hers were very good for the time all the same. On top of that though she had huge and terrific jumps, and was attempting some of the hardest of anyone at the time (eg- she was the only one who really had a triple flip then), and great basic skating, speed, and command of the ice. Shame that was the only year she skated at that level.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Peggy Fleming

vCash
    Caryn Kadavy

vCash
    Katia Gordeeva
    Jennifer Robinson

vCash
    Li Zijun, she was the perfect Sleeping Beauty last year.

(I hope next season when she manage to come out of her current injury funk, she will consider heavy mascara dark Gothic moody music to avoid being typecast.

Alissa and Mao.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    However, I dislike the way people have been very dismissive of skaters who excel at this style. It's almost a refusal to appreciate the positive qualities that this style brings. Pretty Princess does not necessarily equate to fake or slow or boring. I think if done well, it can be deep, thoughtful, and interesting. I think Alissa Czisny's 2010-2011 long program fits that bill. It was unusual skating music and she certainly looked put together for the routine. But I found the choreography interesting and Czisny interpreted it the best anyone could possibly interpret that music.
    I agree with this. I think the criticism comes from the fact that many skaters attempt to skate to lyrical, classical pieces but most don't succeed because it's simply not suited to their style. However, the few that do excel in this style shouldn't be dismissed just because of that.

vCash
    Maybe the ultimate pretty princess? = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0SPQNjpgOw

vCash
    Yukina Ota

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Sarah Meier, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ_hHbOU4MQ

She did occasionally try to break out of the pretty princess mode, but she performed in such a delicate, gentle manner that I preferred it when she stuck to what she did best.

vCash
    As we've seen here, it doesn't have to be a pejorative phrase.
    I think it's a shame that it seems to be, for many people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyskater View Post
    Maybe the ultimate pretty princess? = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0SPQNjpgOw
    I miss that pretty princess!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Agree.

To me, the term connotes polish, good carriage, and attention to detail -- all good things.

Of course, costuming, hair and beauty only add to the "complete package."

Caryn Kadavy, Alissa Czisny and Kiira Korpi for sure.

I'd add Susanna Poykio to that list (I don't think she ever had an ugly costume). Her teammate Jenni Vahamaa, too.

Cynthia Phaneuf and Jessica Dube. And Josee Choiunard, though I never found her very elegant and would've loved to see her explore her more "athletic" side.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    That phrase will always have negative connotations, because it implies something weak and delicate, which doesn't value the difficulty and worth of skating well. If I were going to compliment someone with the skating style you all describe as pretty princess, I would simply call their skating beautiful or elegant or balletic. It takes an incredible amount of strength and athleticism to carry yourself well and with ease. The airy quality comes from the lack of forceful effort required to do something. I would never describe someone I like, especially an adult or young woman, as a "pretty princess", it's demeaning.

vCash
    I'm using the phrase to describe a style/approach to skating programs.
    It doesn't have to have the negative connotation you - and others - believe it does.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yukina Ota
    For sure. I miss her skating.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    delicatThat phrase will always have negative connotations, because it implies something weak and delicate,
    Why would you associate "delicate" and "weak"?

It takes an incredible amount of strength and athleticism to carry yourself well and with ease. The airy quality comes from the lack of forceful effort required to do something.
    Precisely: being delicate on the ice, requires fitness and technique. Lori describes Asada as someone that skates on the ice as easily as a knife warmed into hot water would cut butter. Definitely delicate, yet a compliment.

I would never describe someone I like, especially an adult or young woman, as a "pretty princess", it's demeaning.
    Pretty Pricesses also are the ones who pay attention to details: in choregraphy, dressing, hair, overall presentation. I for one appreciate the effort and value the self esteem.

I liked Sasha Cohen's Swan Lakes better in the first part of the season, when she was wearing the back-swan/white-swan dress. This performance was pretty good.

vCash
    Jenny Kirk
    Gracie Gold (in training)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast