Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Icelandic Final

It's tonight! (I'll be watching Melodifestivalen Heat 3 though - Dr. Alban! ).

The songs are actually much better than I thought!

Ásdís María Viðarsdóttir "Amor"

8/10. I like this a lot. Great vocal performance, interesting arrangement. It's quite beautiful. Unfortunately, it failed in the semi-final televote and only made the final thanks to the jury wild card so its chances of winning are very small.

Audio F.U.N.K. "Þangað til ég dey"

6/10. Funky and upbeat.

Gissur Páll Gissurarson "Von"

3/10.

Greta Mjöll "Eftir eitt lag"

7/10. A cute folksy number. It's really adorable and makes you smile. I imagine it might win.

Pollapönk "Enga fordóma"

7/10. A fun and upbeat pop rock song.

Sigríður Friðriksdóttir "Lífið kviknar á ný"

5/10. Sounds like something out of a cheesy musical.

All in all a pretty solid bunch. I am in love with "Amor" but it seems dead in the water. Each of those songs seems decent enough to make it through to the Eurovision final.

vCash
    Melodifestivalen - Deltävling 3: Göteborg

This was by far the worst Melodifestivalen Heat I ever remember seeing. The quality of songs was terrible and so was the quality of the performances. Either the sound engineers were high or almost everybody really messed up vocally.

Ace Wilder's "Busy Doin' Nothing'" and Oscar Zia's "Yes We Can" got through to the final. Wilder's song was slick, forward-thinking, well produced pop. But her vocals were abysmal. I guess she was just there to look cute. Zia sung really well last year doing chorus vocals for "Jalla Dansa Sawa" but this was a mess. And his song was Kempe's lowest common denominator trash.

State of Drama got through to Andra Chansen with "All We Are." They badly want to be Coldplay and you can't deny how catchy their stuff is. Outtrigger's "Echo" also made it and they really made me smile. First time in my life I've seen metal pop. A pretty standard, very catchy pop rock song with loud guitars, screaming and some growling on top. I wanted those two to make the finals. Best out of a bad bunch, IMO.

Fifth place for Dr. Alban & Jessica Folcker's "Around the World" which was just awful. Very uninspired and sad. Sixth for Shirley Clamp's generic power ballad featuring a long flowing gown and lots of wind turbines. Seventh for dull as dishwater singer-songwriter snooze - CajsaStina Åkerström "En enkel sång." And last place for EKO's "Red" who won the talent contest to get the wild card entry. They were aiming for stylish electro-pop but they are no CHVRCHES. It was just noise.

Ugh. The best bit was the "Sotji Olympics" interval show with a bear in a pink scarf waving a rainbow flag and various disciplines like "Bobsleigh for Homophobes" being performed.

Icelandic final on now and it looks like there's less than 100 people in the audience.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-15-2014 at 09:23 PM.

vCash
    Outrigger was my favorite by far and I'm sad they didn't go directly to the final. I HATED Ace Wilder's song. I can't believe that will be in the final. I bet it will get last with the juries. Maybe all the good songs are in the final heat because the first 3 have been really disappointing. I don't think Sweden will be winning this year.

I'm really surprised that Iceland didn't choose Greta. I wouldn't be surprised to see them staying in the semi-final.

vCash
    Pollapönk "Enga fordóma" will represent Iceland. They will be performing it partly in English and partly in Icelandic. I kind of like it but yes, I wouldn't be surprised either if they didn't manage to qualify.

Paparizou has been really unlucky. I think "Survivor" would have easily sailed through to the final from Heats 2 and 3.

vCash
    Romanian finalists have been announced. 12 songs will be taking part in the final.

Paula & Ovi are back with a cheap and tacky "Miracle". Blah.

I am hoping that The Voice of Romania winner Stefan Stan will win with "Breathe" (feat. TeddyK). A very pretty song and a stylish video as well.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Paula & Ovi!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Oh my, the french are going to go with the worst possible choice ever considering the 5 entries we have to select from.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Oh my, the french are going to go with the worst possible choice ever considering the 5 entries we have to select from.
    I like Twin Twin the best. It's kind of shit but at least it's fun and 'colourful.'

Destan are just awful and Joanna makes me .

vCash
    I want twin twin too, at least it makes me laugh. Joanna, I think she was in Star Academy or something, but I can't remember. I hate her song.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Melodifestivalen Heat 4 is live now! http://www.svtplay.se/video/1761494/...4-deltavling-4

Starting with another Olympics themed performance. I so badly want Alcazar to kick ass and qualify to the final. Love them! They are so fabulous. Alcazar and Anton Ewald/Janet Leon bringing euphoric clubtastic bangers and qualifying would make my day.

Latvian and Hungarian finals are starting at 20:25 (go Saule Riet!).

Spanish final is on at 22:00. Interestingly, Ruth Lorenzo's track is number 1 on Spanish iTunes at the moment. Brequette's is number 3.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-22-2014 at 07:27 PM.

vCash
    Melodifestivalen - Deltävling 4: Örnsköldsvik

This was the weakest Melodifestivalen Heat I can ever remember and so is this year's competition overall so far. What a sad mess yet again.

It was the first time I couldn't even care less about who qualifies and who doesn't (other than Linda Bengtzing who really made me smile).

Results:

Through to the Final:

1/2. Alcazar "Blame It on the Disco" (Fredrik Kempe, David Kreuger, Hamid "K-One" Pirouzpanah)

I am happy for them but this is probably the worst Alcazar single ever. Kempe really isn't having a very creative year. +3 GOE for emerging out of a huge disco ball but the rest of the performance was just them standing there.

1/2. Anton Ewald "Natural" (John Lundvik)

It was a pretty fun dance track I guess but I much preferred "Begging," he placed 4th with in the final last year. It just fell flat to me. The staging was crap, his choreography was crap and his vocals sounded abysmal. I mean we all knew he couldn't sing but I guess last year the backing vocals managed to drown his voice out. This year he actually tried to take centre stage singing and it was quite painful (especially during the second performance after his win was announced).

Through to Andra Chansen:

3/4. Ammotrack "Raise Your Hands" (Jari Kujansuu, Thomas Johansson, Calle Kindbom, Mikael de Bruin)

Pretty standard hard rock song. The name of the band alone makes me go for a bathroom break.

3/4. Ellinore Holmer "En himmelsk sång" (A heavenly song) (Ellinore Holmer, Vanna Rosenberg, Åsa Schmalenbach, Josefina Sanner, Henrik Wikström, Amir Aly)

A singing child wailing a snoozy ballad. Please kill me.

Off home:

5. Linda Bengtzing "Ta mig" (Take me) (Nicke Borg, Jojo Borg Larsson)

This was fabulous. A schlager with contemporary production. Bonus points for her gold hot pants. I am very sad about this not going through to Andra Chansen at least.

6. I.D.A "Fight Me If You Dare" (Albin Nicklasson, Nicklas Laine, Louise Frick Sveen)

Avril Lavigne - band version. It was catchy enough I guess but a very predictable.

7. Josef Johansson "Hela natten" (All night) (Peter Boström, Thomas G:son, Josef Johansson, Peo Thyrén)

Awww what a cute twink. This was actually pretty sweet but I guess it was a little too bland and didn't stand out enough.

8. Janet Leon "Hollow" (Karl-Ola Kjellholm, Jimmy Jansson, Louise Winter)

I think she should have gone through to the final with "Hearstrings" last year. It was a real banger and she performed it brilliantly. This, however, was pretty awful. A dull power ballad and her vocals sounded weird.

vCash
    The Spanish final is on now. The level of the live performances was actually very high. Brequette has the best song, IMO but Lorenzo's live vocals were just so powerful. Either result will be ok with me (especially now that Lorenzo topped the iTunes chart which will kickstart her career nicely)

Tijana Dapčević presented her song "Tamu Kaj Sto Pripagam" tonight. She is going to perform it in Macedonian at Eurovision but there will also be an English promotional version "To the Sky." She posted it on her official account tonight and I think that it's very catchy. I really hope it qualifies to the final!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grZ7vPQ_y8M
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-22-2014 at 09:32 PM.

vCash
    'Cake to Bake' just won the Latvian Eurovision.

vCash
    I thought the Spanish Eurovision song selection Gala was broadcasted tomorrow not tonight
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    The jury unanimously has given Brequette the first place, now is the phone voting results.

vCash
    And the phone voting gives the victory to Ruth Lorenzo, I haven´t seen the performances, so I can´t give my opinion, but it seems this could be controversial

ETA: Lord, Ruth is screaming like there is no future I hope it´s the emotion and the first performance was more controlled.

vCash
    Macedonian "To the Sky" is my favourite entry so far. It's very catchy, very radio-friendly and regardless of the result, it should be a big hit for her I imagine. She is supposed to sing the Macedonian version "Tamu kaj što pripagjam" at Eurovision but interestingly she said in an interview that she feels more comfortable singing the English version. So who knows maybe she will change her mind.

András Kallay Saunders won the Hungarian A'dal final with "Running". He can sing all right and he's beautiful but I am a bit about the mix of ballad verses and crazy breakdown choruses.

It couldn't have been any closer between Brequette and Ruth Lorenzo! It was a tie and Lorenzo won thanks to coming first in the televote. I think Brequette had a better song but then the new arrangement of Lorenzo's song was a big improvement and I just love her personality and how big her voice is. I hope she can have a decent career in the music industry, she deserves it. Here is her performance: "Dancing in the Rain". Sparky is right, though, that she lacked control and it was way too screamy.

And here's the Latvian entry: Aarzemnieki "Cake to Bake".

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineC View Post
    'Cake to Bake' just won the Latvian Eurovision.
    Well, that probably won't get out of the semi-final.

Poor Saule Riet.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-23-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I'm not going to listen till all the songs are chosen, but "Cake to Bake" is the best song title ever!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Sorry, but the level of songs is so crap that I'm really speechless. And even if there appears something more decent, the public doesn't choose it.

Spain - "Dancing in the Rain" is awful. Brequette should have won.

Latvia - it seems they want to remain in a semi-final one more year in a row. The only good thing about "Cake to Bake" is the title. I listened to the other two songs in the Latvian superfinal - they weren't exciting either, but were at least better than this baking peculiarity...

Hungary - ooooh, a hottie with a good song. Finally!

Sweden - why oh why is the the level of Melodifestival 2014 so low? I'm also cheering for Alcazar but "Blame It on a Disco" is such a rehash of "Stay the Night"! The less is said about other songs, the better (well, maybe except for Josef Johansson). At the moment I want Sanna to win. Or Ace Wilder .

vCash
    I think that Sanna has it in the bag. I will be surprised if she doesn't win the Melodifestivalen final. The song is just so emosh and she sings it very well. I hate it personally but I think it should easily place top 10 (or even top 5) in the final.

I agree Brequette had a far better song. I just love Lorenzo but with that song, she'll probably finish 18th or so.

I think that the best Latvian finalist was "Saule Riet". A folk song with people wearing national costumes and then the beat kicks in and then a big breakdown with everybody taking their glowsticks out. Very Avicii and exactly the kind of song Eurovision is made for.

Apparently Buranovskiye Babushki are pitching to become the Russian entry again with the song Ветерок (Breeze). Top comment: 'Awful, Haven't you learnt this is not a circus!?' Isn't it?

Estonian selections "Eesti Laul" have now become a massive event and after the success of Winny Puhh last year, there is a number of leftfield and hipster songs taking part this year. My favourite is VÖÖRAD "Maailm on hull". Both the songs and the performance with freaky clowns are 7.25 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I'm not going to listen till all the songs are chosen, but "Cake to Bake" is the best song title ever!
    My favourite part about Eurovision is the national selections and all the crazy, ridiculous and occasionally brilliant song entered there.

And on this subject, I found this really cool blog: Eurovision Apocalypse. I recommend it.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-23-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast