Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    Portugal maybe has a tiny chance of making the final if they have a really good song because Spain is voting in their semi.
    So is France.

It's not completely official yet but this will most likely be Italy's song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEs7rYSnB98 I like it
    I like it, too. Italy has been sending such great songs since its comeback.

vCash
    It's not completely official yet but this will most likely be Italy's song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEs7rYSnB98 I like it
    Catchy! It should do very well. Great to see Italy treating Eurovision very seriously since its return and sending strong entries every year.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    If Ireland can't make the Top 10 in a semi with only 15 countries, it will be a national disgrace!

Now watch us go and pick something completely shite and not qualify.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Finland is choosing its entry today. Most of the candidates are so boring that I can´t listen... Bring back Lordi!

vCash
    And more importantly the first heat of Melodifestivalen is tonight!

Un-geoblocked live on SVT Play from 20:00-21:30 UTC+1. I CAN'T WAIT!

YOHIO and Helena Paparizou will open and close tonight's Heat 1.

On another note, La Mia Citta has now been officially confirmed as Italy's entry.

And one of the candidates to represent Spain is Ruth Lorenzo! She was absolutely amazing on the UK X-Factor and I was surprised and disappointed that she didn't manage to secure a record deal afterwards. Well she just got a new deal now and she is trying to use this as her platform. I hope she smashes it.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-01-2014 at 06:51 PM.

vCash
    Melodifestivalen - Deltävling 1 (Malmö)

There is nothing else like Melodifestivalen. The 'Down with flutes!' opening with flutes being burned and that awful "Only Teardrops" flute solo played off key was so fabulous it made me cry.

A fantastic idea to have the contestants paint on a pane of glass for their postcard. You can go all armchair psychoanalysis on their creations and it's an interesting insight into the kind of personality they have or try to present.

1. YOHIO "To the End"

A big 80s tinged power ballad. Exactly what you'd expect from him. I loved his "Devil May Cry" inspired cyberpunk outfit with a pink cape. He looked fabulous. The vocals however were . He was off key a lot of of the time and it was quite painful to hear.

2. Mahan Moin "Aleo"

The verses seemed completely incidental but that chorus was 10/10. An incredibly fun, euphoric summer hit. I'm surprised that a song this catchy wasn't given to Jennifer Lopez feat. Pitbull instead, for their annual vacation offering.

The presentation was a bit of a mess though. Sloppy dancing and a very bizarre prop which looked like laundry being aired.

3. Linus Svenning "Bröder" (Brothers)

It had to be seen to be believed. An incredibly hot tattooed and pierced shaved head bad boy singing a bromance song... written by the usual cheese peddler Frederik Kempe. WTF! Another big power ballad. Pretty decent actually.

4. Elisa Lindström "Casanova"

Typical Melodifestivalen tacky crap of the so-bad-it's-good variety. Like being at some very cheap Las Vegas wannabe show. Bonus points for OTT facial expressions from the dancers.

5. Alvaro Estrella "Bedroom"

This also had to be seen to be believed. A camp guy in very tight-fitting clothes singing about having so much fabulous sex, he never made it into the bedroom. And singing most of the song in falsetto... whilst not hitting the notes. It sounded like a dying cat. Quite an entertaining disco inspired club track.

6. Ellen Benediktson "Songbird"

Unbelievably dull ballad-by-numbers.

7. Sylvester Schlegel "Bygdens son" (The Neighbourhood's Son)

Very embarassing dad rock. (Also: He can't sing)

8. Helena Paparizou "Survivor"

I wanted a big, euphoric club anthem (Mahan Moin delivered that, at least). Paparizou went for yet another big power ballad, instead. It was ok, it's quite catchy but no, she's not going to win Eurovision again. They could have done more effort with the presentation instead of having just her alone on stage in a hideous black dress, making dramatik facial expressions.

My jury vote would be:

To the Final:
    1. Mahan Moin "Aleo"
    2. Linus Svenning "Bröder"

To Andra Chansen:
    3. Helena Paparizou "Survivor"
    4. YOHIO "To the End"

Off home:
    5. Alvaro Estrella "Bedroom"
    6. Elisa Lindström "Casanova"
    7. Sylvester Schlegel "Bygdens son"
    8. Ellen Benediktson "Songbird"

The actual results were:

To the Final:
    1/2. YOHIO "To the End" (how surprising )
    1/2. Ellen Benediktson "Songbird" (seriously )

To Andra Chansen:
    3/4. Linus Svenning "Bröder"
    3/4. Helena Paparizou "Survivor"

Off home:
    5. Elisa Lindström "Casanova"
    6. Alvaro Estrella "Bedroom"
    7. Mahan Moin "Aleo" (I am a sad panda )
    8. Sylvester Schlegel "Bygdens son"

Hard to imagine YOHIO not winning the whole thing this year.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-01-2014 at 08:49 PM.

vCash
    Meanwhile, Finland chose Softengine with "Something Better" as their ESC 2014 entry. Nothing special, imho, I'd choose Hukka Ja Mama (just for the voidy-sounding name itself - what does it mean, btw?).

vCash
    Oh, Switzerland is sending Sebalter. Well, I'm hard to please these days when it comes to music, and Serbalter doesn't help me change my mind .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Melodifestivalen - Deltävling 1 (Malmö)
    As always, thank you for the excellent recap!

"Bedroom" was literally stunning. The guy had less sex appeal than last year's Israeli entry and vocal chops that would make Linda McCartney proud. Added bonus: people pretending to play actual instruments, as if any had been used to create the song. The drummer was especially awesome, a seeming tribute to Animal from the Muppets, only this time on (even more) uppers.

Yohio: On a positive note, it's not as bad as last year. And without Jedward, at least Eurovision has someone to reliably destroy gaydars and eardrums.

vCash
    Oh dear.

Softengine's song is very middle-of-the-road pop rock. There are millions of songs like this and we really don't need another one.

Sebalter's wannabe country act is so bad, it's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerobicidal View Post
    "Bedroom" was literally stunning. The guy had less sex appeal than last year's Israeli entry and vocal chops that would make Linda McCartney proud. Added bonus: people pretending to play actual instruments, as if any had been used to create the song. The drummer was especially awesome, a seeming tribute to Animal from the Muppets, only this time on (even more) uppers.

Yohio: On a positive note, it's not as bad as last year. And without Jedward, at least Eurovision has someone to reliably destroy gaydars and eardrums.
    "Bedroom" was incredibly fun because of its WTF factor.

And yes, Yohio's song is actually pretty catchy. Beautiful Andreas Johnson never managed to make it as a solo artist, maybe he'll do it as a composer.

I know it's not likely but in my dreams, Alcazar finally win this year.

vCash
    Cake to Bake is through to Latvia's final. That's all I care about

I'm sad that Amor didn't qualify for Iceland. It was the only interesting one in today's semi final.

And I liked Songbird from Sweden so I'm glad it's in the final. I wasn't impressed with Helena's song. Yohio's song is pretty good. I don't like his voice though.

I don't care about Finland's song and I like parts of Switzerland's song but his English pronunciation is terrible. Both Finland and Switzerland would be for sure non-qualifiers if they weren't in the easier semi-final with only 15 songs.
    Last edited by Roxanne; 02-01-2014 at 10:36 PM.

vCash
    Sharon Vaughn's reaction to "Songbird" making the final was priceless. It was a mix of total surprise and 'oh shit.' She wrote both that and "Survivor" and I'm sure she was expecting the latter and not the former to make it. Ellen Benediktson also seemed genuinely surprised at making it. It was quite sweet to observe, even if I absolutely detest that song (a very generic ballad.

The fun police is taking all the videos of songs which have qualified down (the full show is still up on SVT Play, though) but the summer-tastic "Aleo" has managed to evade the reptilian overlords so far. So put on your straw skirts and dance around the bedroom with reckless abandon. What a song.
    Mahan Moin "Aleo"
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-02-2014 at 08:36 PM.

vCash
    This was the funniest one from Latvia's semi-final today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4BPqfyNUM but it didn't qualify

It looks like it's between http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yd3mSg_wWY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenD-H7vces for Latvia

Malta's final is next week and this is the fan favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0E73LISsfg but it's mostly the jury that decides for Malta so who knows what they'll end up with.

vCash
    I really hope that Saule riet - Olga un Līgo wins. An ethno EDM stomper, exactly what Eurovision needs!

Daniel Testa creeps me out. He looks like a child. I find his song lacking in light and shade and a sense of narrative. It's just way too samey throughout and falls flat. I would pick Jessika "Hypnotica" instead.

vCash
    I really hope that Saule riet - Olga un Līgo wins. An ethno EDM stomper, exactly what Eurovision needs!
    I agree! Eurovision needs more of these kinds of songs. They are so much better than all the predictable pop songs. I don't like Hypnotica at all. The chorus is so boring. It does have the 2nd most views on Youtube so I'm sure it will also be high in the televote.

And Daniel Testa is a child. He's only 16 and he's just popular because he got Malta's highest placement in Junior Eurovision until Gaia won last year. I don't think I'll be rooting for Malta this year. I want Poland to qualify instead.
    Last edited by Roxanne; 02-03-2014 at 06:31 AM.

vCash
    It seems Latvia stays in the semi one more year in a row .

These 2 songs from Malta are awful, but Daniel Testa's seems better overall (uncanny similarity to a bunch of other songs notwithstanding ).

I'm seriously disappointed with the Swedish tracks. That "Bedroom" was so wtf I had to view it twice .

And we shouldn't really complain about the Swiss choice - listen to other songs it competed with - like this schlager gem .

Oh, France chooses among these three:
    a) Destan - Sans Toi (incredibly catchy, but they can't sing plus they didn't get a memo the boyband era is long gone...)
    b) Joanna - Ma Liberte (a power ballad, nice but not really outstanding)
    c) Twin Twin - Moustache (it's so absurd it simply has to win ).

vCash
    Some snippets of Germany's songs http://www.eurovision.de/news/vorentscheidkoeln103.html

I like Fiddler on the Deck. I bet Ireland would give it 12 points.

This song is the favorite for Spain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4yZp2zA49w

Ruth Lorenzo's song is rather dull http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxjtSD_Okew
    Last edited by Roxanne; 02-03-2014 at 06:01 PM.

vCash
    The Spanish songs have been published:

Brequette Cassie "Más" (Thomas G:son, Tony Sanchez, Brequette)
    Jorge González "Aunque Se Acabe El Mundo" (Kiko Rodríguez, Bruno Nicolás, Leticia Fuentes, María José Fernández)
    La Dama "Estrella Fugaz" (Rasel, Mario Fernandez)
    Raúl "Seguir SinTi" (William Duque, Domingo Sánchez)
    Ruth Lorenzo "Dancing in the Rain" (Jim Irvin, Julian Emery)

Brequette looks like a clear winner to me. A big, emotional power ballad with very strong vocals. Another Eurovision success for G:son, it seems. Jorge González and Raúl are very bland and forgettable. La Dama is just appalling. So cheesy (and not in a good way ). I am very disappointed by Ruth Lorenzo. She's a fantastic performer and deserves much better material than this dull crap.

Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    Oh, France chooses among these three:
    a) Destan - Sans Toi (incredibly catchy, but they can't sing plus they didn't get a memo the boyband era is long gone...)
    b) Joanna - Ma Liberte (a power ballad, nice but not really outstanding)
    c) Twin Twin - Moustache (it's so absurd it simply has to win ).
    Destan's song is just bland and their vocals are indeed subpar. Joanna's is decent enough but . Twin Twin is really fun and a clear winner to me.

I like Madeline Juno. Quirky and sophisticated pop ftw. Baseballs are peddling the same song since their career started. Das Gezeichnete Ich is 10/10 for me. Euphoric/melancholic synthpop is exactly up my street. MarieMarie is decent as well. Santiano sounds like a cheap redneck wedding band. Unheilig is just so... German. I wonder what Oceana's song is like.

Overall, I am positively surprised with the level of the German entries.

vCash
    I've just listened to the other Finnish finalists and I am really crushed that Mikko Pohjola's "Sängyn reunalla" didn't manage to win (it was a close 2nd in jury vote, televoting results aren't known). A really sophisticated song, performed very well.

I've found a snippet of Oceana's "Thank You" and it sounds quite promising.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-03-2014 at 08:54 PM.

vCash
    I've just listened to the other Finnish finalists and I am really crushed that Mikko Pohjola's "Sängyn reunalla" didn't manage to win (it was a close 2nd in jury vote, televoting results aren't known). A really sophisticated song, performed very well.
    Yes, it was the only really good song there.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast