Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Well, the good news is that Russia's song is so absolutely horrific that I don't need to hate it just because of the political situation.

It would be great if it didn't get out of the semi-final but I imagine that diaspora votes alone will be enough to ensure that happening.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    First Impressions:

Semi 1

1. Albania - Shakiralbania. The stylish is tragic though.

2. Armenia - Ooh this is rather good in a One Republic sort of way. Interesting, but probably not going to get any votes from Azerbaijan.

3. Azerbaijan - Speaking of which. This is very competent and will be staged well. Another high placing I'm guessing.

4. Belgium - OK, I know we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but . And singing about his mother gives a certain Bates motel to the whole thing. Horrific. OMG is that Ruslana waving a candle and getting all choked up?

5. Estonia - Finally some slutty Europop. It's all a bit Euphoria-lite unfortunately and not amazing unlike the title of the song.

6. Hungary - A song about domestic violence. Hungary cheerful as usual. Ooh is that some dubstep?

7. Iceland - This is insane. I quite like it.

8. Latvia - Speaking of insane. Cake to bake!

9. Moldova - Wow this is a really ballad heavy semi. I'm sure Moldova will Ukrainify this, but it's kind of dull. Next!

10. Montenegro - Trust the Montenegrins to enter something Balkan-friendly the year when practically none of their neighbours are here to vote for them. Nice enough, but it's no Lane Moje.

11. Portugal - Slutty lambada voids! She hasn't a note in her head though!

12. Russia - This reminds me of that song those Slovakian twins song except because it's Russia this will qualify.

13. San Marino - Third time unlucky for Valentina Monetta. Uh oh uh oh.

14. Sweden - Seriously ballad overload now. Undo my sad Sweden! Obligatory key change natch.

15. The Netherlands - Every breath you take goes country. Like this a lot, but now watch them feck the staging up.

16. Ukraine - Oooh look it's Nicole Scherzingerchenko. Tick tock my heart is like a clock standing like a rock. Bwahahahaha. I bet poths will come up with his own naughty lyrics.

I think my faves may have been Armenia, Hungary and the Netherlands, but it's a bit of a snooze of a semi.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Hersi Matmuja competed at Festivali i kenges whilst having a lip liner outline on the outside of her lips, several shades darker than her lipstick so it seems that styling is not exactly her or her manager's strong point.

The Moldavian singer had very strong live performances in both the semi-final and the final so she should be able to sell it very well. And her costume was just ridiculously hilarious. But yeah, the song itself is quite dull.

The odds are against them but I really really hope that Montenegro qualifies. I find it a bit dull and predictable but it's a very professionally composed and recorded song, he delivers it well (although we haven't heard it live yet) and it's an overall a very decent effort. This is the year they really deserve a place in the final (which 'get out of my head / get out of my bed' was cruelly denied ).
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-20-2014 at 05:07 AM.

vCash
    If FSU Eurovision poll takes place, I am willing to make a comeback as Armenia.

Some trivia about Russia's song. It is composed by pop singer Philipp Kirkorov and Greek composer Dimitris Kontopoulos. The former participated in ECS in 1995 which was Russia's 2nd appearance in the history of the contest. Kirkorov finished a low 17th place. For more than 10 years Philipp was married to the "Prima Donna" of Russian pop scene Alla Pugacheva who herself took part in ESC in 1997 and was placed higher than her husband. She finished 15th.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I'm just going to keep track of everyone who said they'd be willing to do the Eurovision poll again this year. Couldn't find last year's poll so I've provisionally assigned some posters who I could remember.

Semi 1:

1. Albania - mila19 (?)
    2. Armenia - Hindernisse
    3. Azerbaijan - Braulio (?)
    4. Belgium
    5. Estonia
    6. Hungary
    7. Iceland - Finnice (?)
    8. Latvia - HisWeirness
    9. Moldova
    10. Montenegro - Roxanne
    11. Portugal
    12. Russia - equatorial (?)
    13. San Marino - Zokko!
    14. Sweden - Ziggy
    15. The Netherlands
    16. Ukraine - Jenya
    Semi 2:

1. Austria
    2. Belarus
    3. FYR Macedonia - Reuven
    4. Finland - Hanna (?)
    5. Georgia
    6. Greece - wustfan
    7. Ireland - poths (?)
    8. Israel - Eden (?)
    9. Lithuania - sodapop
    10. Malta - my little pony
    11. Norway - itsartemis
    12. Poland - shah
    13. Romania - Aerobicidal
    14. Slovenia
    15. Switzerland
    Big Six:

1. Denmark - argarit
    2. France
    3. Germany
    4. Italy
    5. Spain - sweetsparky (?)
    6. United Kingdom
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Yes, I am in, as always. :-)

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    FYR Macedonia works for me.....now I just have to remember that it's Skopje not Sophia after 7 years as Bulgaria....
    Last edited by Reuven; 03-20-2014 at 06:48 PM.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    The Montenegrin entry is growing on me, I think it's my unabashed love of all things Balkan and the fact that the video is basically a tourism ad. However, as allezfred rightly pointed out, Montenegro wuzrobbed of a big chunk of the Balkan voting bloc this year without Serbia and Bosnia.

The Albanian entry and video are

vCash
    In semi-final 1, I'm supporting Montenegro and Azerbaijan. With a bit of luck we might see Portugal in the final

vCash
    For FSU Eurovision, I'm happy to be Romania again.

I just listened to the Romanian entry. I'm supporting anything that isn't a ballad this year, so go Romania.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    First Impressions:

Semi 2

1. Austria - Drag queen Jesus sings Adele style Bond film theme tune. Except probably not as well.

2. Belarus - Belarus' answer to Robin Thicke. No you're not Patrick Swayze and I'm not Jennifer Gray. And more cake! I blame Mary Berry!

3. FYR Macedonia - And now for our second drag queen....

4. Finland - Goes indiepop. Well it's different.

5. Georgia - What a pile of wank.

6. Greece - Wheeee! Down with the kidz innit!

7. Ireland - Well it's not going to be win number 8.....

8. Israel - Oh skary rock chick voids! Drama!

9. Lithuania - Hello Tutu! Oh this quite dreadful.

10. Malta - Maltaford & Sons

11. Norway - Jesus this is sombre. Talk about sucking all the fun out of the room.

12. Poland - Welcome back and thanks for bringing the trashy!

13. Romania - It's Paula & Ovi! Glad they got some use out of their piano again.

14. Slovenia - The flute isn't the only thing blows....

15. Switzerland - What is it about food this year?

Greece FTW! Have a sneaking regard for Malta too...

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    but i'm always cyprus

::sigh:: ok, i can live w malta
    Last edited by my little pony; 03-21-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I hope it's okay for me to post reactions to the songs and videos. Here is the first semifinal. Disclaimer: I follow Eurovision for the snark and the WTFs, not the music.

Albania: She seems mesmerized by her left hand. I’m mesmerized by her hair, which looks like a 90’s boy band cut left untrimmed for a year or so. Boring ballad #1.

Armenia: It is the Year of the Piano according to the Eurovision zodiac, at least so far. And here comes the dubstep abuse. Skrillex needs to be punished: lock him in a room and make him listen to all the shit he’s inspired.

Azerbaijan: She’s been styled and groomed effectively. The song seems to be going for drama but is about as dramatic as Andy Warhol’s Sleep.

Estonia: “Amazing” by Tanja sounds like it should be a freestyle track. This is a blatant ripoff of “Euphoria”! Still, definitely my favorite so far.

Iceland: Rainbow flags, a disco interlude, and intolerable lyrics about tolerance (“Or perhaps you’re thinner/Or one who loves his dinner”) Quirky rock isn’t usually my thing, and this is no exception.

Latvia: I’d happily attend the Great Latvian Bake Off. Chamber pop isn’t usually my thing, but I’ll make an exception for this.

Russia: “Can you be a masterpiece of love?” More like a masterpiece of dreck.

Sweden: Unlike the other ballads, this actually sounds like it was written by a professional songwriter. Although “welcome to my sad” sounds like the first single from ESTA’s debut album.

Belgium: Louie Anderson’s lost weight but the child toucher mustache is doing him no favors. Excruciating and bombastic. As to the lyrics: paging Dr. Freud.

Hungary: The song alternates between piano ballad and jungle-lite. “Daddy why?” Apparently he also watched/heard the Belgian entry.

Moldova: Musical theater goes dubstep-lite. The bizarre staging gives a needed boost.

Montenegro: Majestic. I can see this appealing to a lot of people.

Netherlands: Eurovision goes to Nashville. Probably not a winning combination, although a fantastic concept for a reality TV show.

Portugal: Ethno-NRG, the classic Eurovision genre. This is responding to Iceland: if a slutty fried-blond “singer,” a problematically painted islander, and two drummers in bondage gear who can also wave matador flags can share the stage, anyone can! As the genre goes, the song is forgettable but not painful.

San Marino: “There’s a site where anyone can sext/Using images instead of text.” Snapchat ooh oh oh . . .

Ukraine: I can imagine Paula Abdul trying to make a comeback with this song. And really, the performance as well. I see myself rooting for this and simultaneously knowing that doing so is wrong on multiple levels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    but i'm always cyprus

::sigh:: ok, i can live w malta
    The financial crisis in Cyprus is really hitting where it hurts.

vCash
    First live performance of Conchita's song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHFC8jIECvs

I will be really sad if this doesn't qualify. I love the note at the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    First live performance of Conchita's song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHFC8jIECvs

Amazing live vocal, WOW!

I also hope that both the public and the jurors will be able to get over their prejudices and vote for this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post

OMG!!!
    I really feared for the live version. Now I know Conchita may rise to the occassion. Hopefully, people will judge her performance and song, not her image.

Btw, we all seem to agree Freud would be very busy analysing Belgian song .

DAISUKE!!!!!!!!!!
    vCash
    I'll be Norway again.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    If Eden doesn't turn up I volunteer to support IsraeliP!nk. Kinda like that song in an over-the-top way. I think the sword really does it for me.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    If Eden doesn't turn up I volunteer to support IsraeliP!nk. Kinda like that song in an over-the-top way. I think the sword really does it for me.
    We need victims volunteers so even if Eden does step up, pick something up.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast