Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I heard she will be singing in English. I hope San Marino doesn't stop participating after they don't qualify this year.

I hate when people say that songs are "too good" for Eurovision but I kind of feel like Armenia's song is. I'm really not sure how it's going to do. I'd love to see Armenia win because Azerbaijan will be so mad

So it's just Azerbaijan, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Moldova, Norway and Austria left.

Azerbaijan are always potential winners no matter what they send.

Norway had better send Silent Storm or High Hopes instead of Heal.

Nothing good will come from Belgium, Portugal or Moldova.

I don't know what to expect from Russia and Austria. Hopefully they will have tolerable songs.

vCash
    I don't think San Marino will stop participating. They perceived last year as a huge success and a victory because of all the positive attention that Monetta's song and performance garnered and they saw that as a good way to promote their country.

If Aram Mp3 performs that song well and has a well thought through simple but effective presentation (just him standing there with an elegant light and shadow play would do), it should definitely place top 5 IMO.

Azerbaijan are always potential winners partly because of buying votes but largely because they spare no expense at getting the best song writers and developing a really effective stage direction for their performances. Dilara Kazimova seems to have a great personality and stage presence and an interesting voice. I hope she gets a decent song.

Norway could win the whole thing with "Silent Storm." I find it hard to imagine anything else winning but then Carl Espen struggled with the nerves a little in the semi-final and he is totally inexperienced. I hope he doesn't crumble under pressure.

Portuguese and Moldavian songs are indeed all terrible. I guess SIL might win in Belgium but her song is a snoozefest.

Apparently the Tolmasheva sisters (winners of Junior Eurovision) are supposed to represent Russia and whatever Conchita Wurst sings it will be .

Some more 'news:'

Belarus did not change the song and will be entering the piece of shit we've already heard in a totally unchanged form. Belarus - Theo "Cheesecake". He's still mentioning 'Google Maps' and that is against the Eurovision rules (Monetta had that problem with the Facebook song) so he will probably have to edit it out.

Italy had to shorten its song to make it compatible with the rules but there's no other apparent changes in the new mix. Italy - Emma Marrone "La Mia Città". I still really like this. Her raspy tone of voice suits the music well and it packs quite a punch. A question mark over her live singing ability though, given her performance in the German final.

Greece - Freaky Fortune feat. Risky Kidd "Rise up"

The new mix of "Dancing in the Rain" is an improvement in terms of the song getting a narrative with the slow build up and a stronger beat in the background which prevents it from being a total snoozefest. I still think that she deserves much better material than this bland crap but I think that they have done a good job of salvaging this. Spain - Ruth Lorenzo "Dancing in the Rain". Pretty video as well.

The Belgian video is just an upload of his winning performance. I guess they have no budget. Belgium - sim "Cliché Love Song". The only thing that is new is him being apparently known as 'sim' now. As far as I am concerned, this piece of crap joins the 'most annoying Eurovision songs ever' playlist.

Pollapönk have worked with the amazing John Grant on their song (I think her wrote or collaborated on the English lyrics). Last time I heard, they were supposed to sing partly in English and partly in Icelandic but the official video is fully in English. A nice message and I like the joyful abandon of it but I will be very surprised if this makes the final. Iceland - Pollapönk "Enga fordóma".

The official Sanmarinese video is indeed in English. I think it would have worked best if she sang mostly in English but with some Italian parts for 'flavour.' San Marino - Valentina Monetta "Maybe (Forse)"

The song that she has written herself for her new album actually sounds much better than this dated, cheesy Ralph Siegel schlager crap. Valentina Monetta "L'amore verrà". Apparently she said in an interview that it's her last time at Eurovision. ;(

Somebody in Aram Mp3's team really messed up and sent a rough video version which is complete but has some white lines over it.
    ETA: The correct version is up now: Armenia - Aram MP3 "Not Alone"
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-15-2014 at 12:04 AM.

vCash
    The Norwegian final is on now: http://www.nrk.no/mgp/

El Cuero are the first two perform and whilst it's definitely still dad rock, they gave a fantastic live performance.

vCash
    MGP Final was great. I have to agree with shah after all. The quality has been generally very high and so was the level of the performances.

I really worry about Carl Espen's chances of winning now. He was really out of tune.

If he does win, he better get a lot of vocal training in the next two months.

vCash
    YES! Carl Espen wins and Linnea Dale places 2nd. Perfect results!

He sung much better the second time and even better the third so I have hope.

Moldova chose this horrific mess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4OYaV2ZtrA

Time for Portugal now and their Festival de Cancao stuck in a 1950s time warp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Time for Portugal now and their Festival de Cancao stuck in a 1950s time warp.
    1960s, to be precise. The finalists have just paid tribute to Antonio Calvario (ESC 1964) and Simone de Oliveira (ESC 1965, 1969). The new songs do not differ much from those from the 60s .
    I confirm - Rui Andrade is hot .

vCash
    Three superfinalists announced: Caterina Pereira, Suzy and Rui Andrade ().

vCash
    OMG, there's some kind of a replay of selected songs from the last 9 years and I was subjected to Plush gyrating to Bilan's screeching!

vCash
    And the winner is... Suzy and "Quero ser tua"! A living proof 90s Eurodance is alive and kicking . It reminds me of "Lambada" and "Coco Jamboo" and it's equally bad...

As for other songs - yay for Carl Espen, I had goosebumps. But I hope he'll still work on his voice (and nerves). Linnea, otoh . Could we send all 9 Norwegian songs to ESC? They're like Russian ladies or Japanese men - too many good entries to leave at home
    Aram MP3 is just great!
    This year Valentina Monetta sings her worst ESC entry, unfortunately . She stands no chance to be in the final.
    Moldovan song is rather forgettable, imho (even though Cristina Scarlat is quite expressive on stage).

I keep my fingers crossed for Sil in the Belgian final. Her song is boring as hell, but she reminds me of sweet old times of high school parties and dancing to Sylver's songs .
    Last edited by shah; 03-16-2014 at 12:47 AM.

vCash
    Suzy's song indeed reminds me of "Lambada" and is equally cheap and trashy. Plus her live vocals are quite poor. But at least it's fun and will make people smile and sway their hips. So I guess they can make the final with that.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    OK, I'm gonna out myself pretty early this year: I'm mesmerized by the Armenian entry and with a decent live performance it's gonna win!

vCash
    I really like Silent Storm, but I really hope we don't win, the whole thing is too expensive and NRK will go bankrupt They really struggled last time!

vCash
    I think the first place might be between "Not Alone" and "Silent Storm." I would really like Carl Espen to win but I will also be happy with Aram MP3. But then you know how it goes. Songs may sound great but then it turns out the live performance is poorly directed and executed, the singer falters live and the song you though was a very strong contender ends up placing poorly. I didn't like the way Espen's performance looked at MGP. I just want them to do something simple with him standing there and a nice play of light and shadow.

We haven't heard the Azerbeijani song yet (it will be premièred at 16:30 UTC). Azimova is a great singer with heaps of personality and charisma and no doubt it will be a strong entry given they spare no expense. And they will surely try to buy votes again. So even before hearing the song, you can safely predict top 5.

The Albanian video has been premièred and it looks like a bad joke. Albania - Hersi "One Night's Anger". WTF? It's so unprofessional and amateur-ish it defies belief. If you did it as your coursework for a media course, you'd fail. I feel sad because I think the song is very intriguing and her voice is great. It's one of the stronger entries this year but with a video like this, it will become a laughing stock.

Estonian song has a new arrangement and it's even worse than the original one IMO. Her live performance was great but the song is just so trashy and cheap. Estonia - Tanja "Amazing".

Malta also has a remastered version. Malta - Firelight "Coming Home". This new arrangement is a very big improvement, IMO. It sounds stronger, it gained a sense of narrative and the production is more intricate. I still think that's it a cheap version of Mumford & Sons but I am impressed by how they managed to salvage it. The video is so cheesy though, it makes me cringe.

vCash
    Azerbeijan is basically sending exactly the same song again.

I feel really disappointed about this because during Boyuk Sehne, Kazimova has shown personality and charisma. So I hoped for something with attitude. But they played it safe again and it looks like instead of having a song tailor-made for the singer, they have ordered it ages ago.

Azerbeijan - Dilara Kazimova "Start a Fire"

So only two songs to go now! The Belgian final is on at 20:00 CET tonight and the Austrian song will be premiered Tuesday morning (they've picked a strange time).

vCash
    Three songs to go. We just don't know when we will get Russia's song.

I like Portugal's song. There aren't many upbeat songs in semi 1 so it will stand out. But they really need to work on the vocals.

I'm glad Azerbaijan's song is boring because maybe now they won't win and Armenia will get the most 12s this time

I'm so disappointed with the new version of Albania's song. I really can't see it qualifying.

vCash
    Yay, I love an obvious winner. Armenia reminds me of the first time I heard Serbia's Molitva and Norway's Fairytale

Hope he can sing live

WINBAGS!

vCash
    Ah, I 'forgot' about Russia. They have to submit the song by 20th March. I really hope that the Russian diaspora will be the only people voting for them this year. BOYCOTT RUSSIA!

I agree that the original version of the Albanian song was better.

Aram MP3 can sing live. I still hope for Carl Espen's victory, though. A song like this comes very rarely, especially at Eurovision out of all places.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-16-2014 at 07:26 PM.

vCash
    The Belgian Eurosong 2014 final is on now. http://www.eurovision.tv/page/webtv?program=98503 All the songs are more or less terrible.

Axel Hirsoux is still to go but so far Eva Jacobs was by far the best. A cliché empowerment pop/r&b ballad, yes. But at least it's catchy, she performed it quite well and it's a professionally composed and produced song.

vCash
    Axel Hirsoux.

I thought that Udo had a cheesy, overblown song full of pathos but Hirsoux's "Mother" song had one up on it.

It won the European jury vote, all four jury members picked it as their winner and no doubt the public will love that schmaltzy shit as well.

Ruslana just made a strong political statement before her interval performance asking the world for help.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-16-2014 at 08:32 PM.

vCash
    I liked Dilara's voice

Well I had to google a lot this weekend lol Rui Andrade is indeed hot Suzy's song is nothing special but at least it isn't one of those overdramatik ballads Apparently the guy who wrote the song is quite famous because of songs like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbIcXuf3sVw

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast