Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Storm over Donald Sterling's horribly racist remarks

I am not sure which forum this belongs in. 'Sports' would be the most obvious one since it deals with the owner of an NBA team (The LA Clippers), but the remarks are so incredibly racist that I feel they may need a broader audience. However, if the admins feel it should be in the Sports forum, please feel free to move it.

This has been brewing since TMZ came up last Thursday with a tape of Donald Sterling's conversation with his girl friend, who is a mixture of African American and Mexican. Sterling (on that tape) was asking her not to bring black friends to the Clippers games and not to post pictures of her with her black friends on social media.

My first question was- is this really him on the tape? However, everyone seems convinced that it is, and it has been verified by his girl friend, who is the woman's voice on the tape.

CNN played most of the tape yesterday, and from listening to it, Sterling comes across almost as a crazy man. However, that would mean being too kind to him. Many, including President Obama have condemned his remarks. Some sponsors have withdrawn sponsorship, and opinions vary on what should be done about it.

This is the latest:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/28/us/cli...html?hpt=hp_t2

I think this is going to go on for a long time. Racism is nothing new in the USA or in the world, but when someone who is in a position of power spews this kind of garbage, it does get a LOT of criticism, as it should. The question is- what can be done about it?

vCash
    You would think "Not owning a NBA team" would top the list of any racist.

What can be done, though? He owns the team, can he be forced out of the organization? Forced to sell? I read earlier that Magic Johnson has made an offer to buy the team.

vCash
    Apparently, this isn't the first time that Sterling has been accused of making racist remarks; he owns a lot of fancy apartment buildings and has been accused of violating anti-discrimination laws (paying several million in "settlements" without admitting liability):

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/27/us/don...rticle_sidebar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post

What can be done, though? He owns the team, can he be forced out of the organization? Forced to sell? I read earlier that Magic Johnson has made an offer to buy the team.
    If they try to force him out, he will go to court, and then this will stretch into several years. I think what's likely to happen is top players- black or white- may not want to play for him. Doc Rivers even mentioned considering not coming back next year. Sponsors are dropping him. The only way he can be hurt is financially, and then he will be forced to sell the team. I think the NBA does have the power to take over teams that are doing poorly. If he is a shrewd businessman, he may see that coming and sell the team before he loses more money. OTOH if he is blinded by racism, he may not see it and get into serious financial difficulties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Racism is nothing new in the USA or in the world, but when someone who is in a position of power spews this kind of garbage, it does get a LOT of criticism, as it should. The question is- what can be done about it?
    I thought I read somewhere the racism had been eliminated in the US. And that's why Affirmative Action was no longer necessary.

vCash
    He has always been a horrible person and unfortunately he has gotten away with this for a very long time. A few years ago he brought a woman into the changing room of the Clippers while they were showering and told her to look around at "all the beautiful, black bodies." There was a lawsuit for descrimation by past coach Elgin Baylor and there was also a housing discrimination issue with some of the properties he has owned. Unfortunately, the NBA has allowed his to get away with horrific behavior for a very long time.

vCash
    I think he is a despicable man.

Having said that, though, if he owns the team, who has control over him, doesn't he unfortunately control things with the power of ownership?

But I surely hope they can find a way to force him out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    He has always been a horrible person and unfortunately he has gotten away with this for a very long time. A few years ago he brought a woman into the changing room of the Clippers while they were showering and told her to look around at "all the beautiful, black bodies." There was a lawsuit for descrimation by past coach Elgin Baylor and there was also a housing discrimination issue with some of the properties he has owned. Unfortunately, the NBA has allowed his to get away with horrific behavior for a very long time.
    I put the blame on David Stern, who has fortunately retired as NBA Commissioner.

ETA: I found this article on MSNBC:

http://www.nbcsports.com/joe-posnans...erling-anymore

This article compares the Sterling situation with Marge Schott, the Cincinnati Reds owner who died in 2000. The MLB ignored her racist remarks for many years until finally they had to take action. Hopefully the NBA will take a strong action against Sterling.
    Last edited by Vash01; 04-29-2014 at 02:00 AM.

vCash
    The girlfriend's voice on the tape sounded very rehearsed. It didn't sound like a real, naturally flowing conversation between two people who are close. Granted, she wasn't responsible for what came out of his mouth, but I thought she was definitely following a script to get him to say what he said.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    This guy is a total racist creep but I have this to say about him and his girlfriend:

Lady! Quit hogging all the filler and Botox and save some for your sugar daddy. It's coming out of your ears.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i want to talk about the long floral dress with the oversize mint purse

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/201..._stiviano.html
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    If he has a history of racist behaviour, how in the world was he up for an NAACP Award?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i want to talk about the long floral dress with the oversize mint purse

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/201..._stiviano.html
    That's the ugliest Chanel I've ever seen. It's a suitcase! I see she also injects her lips.

The dress needs to be hemmed, at the very least.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    I thought I read somewhere the racism had been eliminated in the US. And that's why Affirmative Action was no longer necessary.
    Haha. I know. Doesn't Obama being President mean we live in a post-racial society and therefore minorities can stop talking about race?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Lady! Quit hogging all the filler and Botox and save some for your sugar daddy. It's coming out of your ears.
    it's los angeles / orange county, consider the environs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The girlfriend's voice on the tape sounded very rehearsed. It didn't sound like a real, naturally flowing conversation between two people who are close. Granted, she wasn't responsible for what came out of his mouth, but I thought she was definitely following a script to get him to say what he said.
    That was my impression too.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post

What I've heard is he can be fined huge amounts and can be banned from "day to day" operations (would prevent him from attending games, sitting on various boards), but can't be commanded to sell. However, one would think that if players ultimately start refusing to deal with him, fans don't support the team/refuse to attend games/buy apparel and other gear, they continue to lose Sponsors (up to 12 have dumped the Clippers, I heard yesterday), it might not be viable for him to continue as owner.

I hope he gives in to the pressure and goes the hell away. What a scum.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    .......This has been brewing since TMZ came up last Thursday with a tape of Donald Sterling's conversation with his girl friend, who is a mixture of African American and Mexican. Sterling (on that tape) was asking her not to bring black friends to the Clippers games and not to post pictures of her with her black friends on social media.......
    I was waiting for someone to start a thread on this. Here's what puzzles me about the whole thing. As you already mentioned, Sterling's girl friend is a mixture of African American and Mexican. It embarasses Sterling if she brings black friends to the games, but it doesn't embarass him that he's dating an African American? Where's the logic in that?

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I heard on the radio yesterday that she's (the girlfriend) being sued by the wife of 50 years for the return of "community property" given to her by Sterling. Apparently there were vows of revenge against the wife.

While I certainly don't agree with Sterling's opinions, something's rotten in the state of Denmark in regard to both the release of these tapes (to the ever reputable TMZ ) and their content, which may be heavily edited. The girlfriend is accused of being a gold digger, an embezzler, and of having several aliases.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-80026075/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast