Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Buy tight yellow pants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by succubus View Post
    Buy tight yellow pants.
    Indeed

I think they should focus on skating cool programs that showcase their unique personalities, stick with the 3flip, ditch the 3A unless they want to be permanently injured, bring back Pina and ENJOY this last year of eligible competition, rather than going for the "desperate for gold" approach. If this whole year is awful and they don't win gold, what do they have? If they enjoy this year and can get some clean (or cleaner) performances of a great program or programs, and they don't win gold in Sochi, at least they will have enjoyed the season.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I know Tranky could give terrific "WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY!!!" face.

In all seriousness though, the Olympics are a freakin' mental minefield and has been the famed undoing of many a magnificent figure skating champion. I never think any skater is a "lock" for Olympic gold or any medal for that matter. It is unlike any other figure skating competition and many skaters lose their way in the magnitude of it all. They just have to focus on themselves, stay as healthy as possible, take one element at a time, and skate their personal bests as cleanly as possible. They need to focus on quality foremost and quantity secondly.
    That's a very nice way to look at it and I want to be optimistic, but I don't want to be sad. I sort of feel this way about Weaver and Poje, because I know they can perform a medal winning program and I'm having a hard time accepting they won't get the scores, so yeah...hope.

vCash
    I don't know what people saw in the Pina program. To me that was one of the most disjointed cuts of music and choreography that I have ever seen from any pairs team in decades..
    S&S needs to skate this current program clean as a whistle and hope for 2 mistakes from the Russians... one mistake from the Russians still won't do it..

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    I hate to say it because (1) I don't agree with the judges and (2) it makes me depressed, but I think they need the throw triple axel and probably the throw quad flip, too, in order to win gold. Of course, their odds of injury or total disaster are higher than their odds of gold if they tried that strategy.

I think others are right that they should just try to skate a clean program knowing their best is 98% likely to max out at a silver medal.

vCash
    I adore them but when was the last time they skated two clean programs? Without any glitches (no step out, no doubled or singled jumps etc). We don't know what marks they would get if both SP and LP of the current season were skated cleanly, do we? Maybe that would even be enough?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I adore them but when was the last time they skated two clean programs? Without any glitches (no step out, no doubled or singled jumps etc). We don't know what marks they would get if both SP and LP of the current season were skated cleanly, do we? Maybe that would even be enough?!
    I think it's just hard to be a fan when your team is on the decline. They have so much quality to their skating, but their bodies are giving out and it's a struggle for them to perform two clean programs, especially Robin. I don't believe it's for lack of effort though. I like that they seem really positive after they skate. I think they have a realistic perspective on what they can achieve and have accepted it. It would be sad if they felt defeated.

vCash
    They can give Jeff Gillooly, excuse me, Jeff Stone, a call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I don't know what people saw in the Pina program.
    It had a lot of transitions and was skated to the music.

vCash
    I admire S/S, but have to admit I'm enjoying V/T's programs more this season.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Even if everybody hits, noone will come close to V/T. They represent Russia and that's beyond anything other teams can do.

Nevertheless, I wish that fight for gold would be fair, which it won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    This discussion makes me sad. Talk about the impossible dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    The Olympics is in Russia and they've made it pretty clear that anyone who is a reasonable candidate for a medal, will win it...and some not so reasonable, though this doesn't apply to V/T.

Indeed, this is so sad - expecially because the above is true, or at least percieved as such by too many (including me).

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post

I think they should ENJOY this last year of eligible competition, rather than going for the "desperate for gold" approach.
    I think it's just hard to be a fan when your team is on the decline. They have so much quality to their skating, but their bodies are giving out and it's a struggle for them to perform two clean programs, especially Robin. I don't believe it's for lack of effort though.
    S/S are an incredible pair. Thanks to that, in my opinion there is one thing they could do to win gold: forget about anything else (the scores, the critiques, the judges, the odds, the outcome) and just focus on being the best possible skaters they can be.
    Too much effort, too much worrying about what's out of their control (like the possible bias towards Russian skaters, expecially Pairs since it's the strongest Russian event), the anticipation of a lost gold, all of that can get them under the weather and make them skate worse than they could.
    But if they thrive, if they focus solely on being the amazing skaters they are capable of being, they can wow the world, anf put the Russian bias in a difficult spot. Put pressure and V/T too, and make them handle it instead of letting V/T forcing pressure on competitors.

In my opinion S/S have to think about their job, fly high, dream big; if that shows it could work a miracle.

What worries me the most, isn't even that dangerous 3A, but the fact I'm seeing them less confident and less happy than thier talent and work should make them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    But if they thrive, if they focus solely on being the amazing skaters they are capable of being, they can wow the world, anf put the Russian bias in a difficult spot. Put pressure and V/T too, and make them handle it instead of letting V/T forcing pressure on competitors.

In my opinion S/S have to think about their job, fly high, dream big; if that shows it could work a miracle.

Great comments, I totally agree! If S/S can skate with energy and emotion and just really believe in themselves, it would be wonderful, and could have some surprising results.

vCash
    My only dream gold Olympic medal is Savchenko & Szolkowy.
    I am sad to see my dream will probably not come true...
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I like S/S a lot, but it annoys me to read about Russian bias implying that V/T won't deserve gold if they win. They have been flawless so far this season and S/S haven't been close to flawless. If S/S want to be competitive, they need to be flawless as well. They haven't been for two years and I don't mean the 3A. I don't think that's bias. If V/T were falling all over the place and their twist was crashy, maybe there would be an argument for bias, but that flat out hasn't been the situation. And, whining about transitions is nonsense and just the viewers perspective. A "transition" that slows down the program, or is poorly executed does not trump a well executed element. And none of the judges mark them thusly. And, it doesn't matter what a skater or team did two years ago. They're being scored on what they do now. If S/S want gold, they have to skate like a gold medal winner. They didn't at Worlds last year and they haven't at the GP relative to their top competitor. We'll see how they match up at the GPF and Europeans (assuming V/T go). But, the whining about V/T is misplaced in a discussion about S/S. They are their own team and have to skate for themselves. When you have to count on another team making a mistake to win, you're in deep trouble.

And the judges don't care that Maxim is wearing yellow pants or skating to JCS. Lord knows S/S have had some, shall we say, unusual costumes over the years.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I like S/S a lot, but it annoys me to read about Russian bias implying that V/T won't deserve gold if they win. They have been flawless so far this season and S/S haven't been close to flawless. If S/S want to be competitive, they need to be flawless as well. They haven't been for two years and I don't mean the 3A. I don't think that's bias. If V/T were falling all over the place and their twist was crashy, maybe there would be an argument for bias, but that flat out hasn't been the situation. And, whining about transitions is nonsense and just the viewers perspective. A "transition" that slows down the program, or is poorly executed does not trump a well executed element. And none of the judges mark them thusly. And, it doesn't matter what a skater or team did two years ago. They're being scored on what they do now. If S/S want gold, they have to skate like a gold medal winner. They didn't at Worlds last year and they haven't at the GP relative to their top competitor. We'll see how they match up at the GPF and Europeans (assuming V/T go). But, the whining about V/T is misplaced in a discussion about S/S. They are their own team and have to skate for themselves. When you have to count on another team making a mistake to win, you're in deep trouble.

And the judges don't care that Maxim is wearing yellow pants or skating to JCS. Lord knows S/S have had some, shall we say, unusual costumes over the years.

I like S&S too but reality is they are the ones with a list of controversial wins and results in their career, not V&T. In fact I dont believe V&T have ever had a controversial win or medal ever. S&S have had 2008 Worlds, 2011 Europeans, their silver at Worlds last year, just for starters. Also the only two close decisions between the two pairs which could have gone either way both went to S&S (2011 GPF, 2012 Worlds).

vCash
    I think V&T are very smooth and consistent. I just find their LP in particular boring and bleh....

Savchenko & Szolkowy made me love pairs again.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    I like S/S a lot, but it annoys me to read about Russian bias implying that V/T won't deserve gold if they win.
    I don't think comments are implying that. But some people say that, unless V/T implode, they will win gold no matter how good or clean S/S go (if they do). One would also think that kind of perception would affect both V/T and S/S, in different ways.

While the above would be ugly, if the best pair on ice wins I think everyone will be fine with that. Some might be sorry their favourite couldn't step up, but still fine with the result (being a huge Cohen's fan, I oughta know).

Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Savchenko & Szolkowy made me love pairs again.
    I don't even know if I'll keep watching the Pair event after they'll be retired. My other favourite couple used to represent Japan, and we all know how that went.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    All I know is I will be thrilled for one team and heartbroken for the other no matter how things shake out. I don't think V/T think they'll win gold no matter how S/S skate. They've honed their skills to the best of their ability so they can earn gold. Both teams are about as equal in skills as any two teams can be, especially, Tatiana and Aliona. I fully believe gold and silver will be determined by Robin and Maxim.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash

I'm not saying V/T don't deserve it. They certainly are skating the best. This isn't like in ice dance. We're simply saying that even if they skated clean and put on a great performance they wouldn't win. We bring this up, not to hate on V/T, but because the OP asked what can S/S do. The answer is nothing.

Pairs is such a weak field, that S/Ss experience and overall technical ability will probably hold them at Silver, even though they aren't performing to their full potential.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 11-28-2013 at 07:18 PM.

vCash
    I think it's just hard to be a fan when your team is on the decline.
    Maybe I focus too much on the negative but was their a major title that they won with two flawless skates? So are they really on a decline or have they now just tough competition in V/T that they didn't have a few years ago? Are V/T maybe just better because they're consistent?
    That said, I really do want to see S/S win gold at the Olympics. I'm biased anyway, being German, however, I think they deserve it. They have so many great qualities to their skating and I could watch them skate for hours and hours and wouldn't care if they jumped or not because, for me, they don't need the jumps to be great.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast