vCash

Who will win the team event in Sochi?

Who do you think will win? I think it's between the U.S., Canada, and Russia, and while I personally want the U.S. to win, Russia seems much stronger right now. Am I forgetting any other teams who could challenge for the podium?

vCash
    My breakdown:

Russia: No.1 pairs, top 5 ladies, top 10 men (depends what Plushenko can bring, trying to be cautious), No. 3-5 dance (depends on politics and performance

Canada: No. 3-4ish pairs, top 15 ladies (depends what Kaetlyn Osmond can bring to the table, could be higher), No. 1 Man, No. 1-2 dance (probably 2)

USA: Between No. 5-10 pairs?, Top 5 ladies, top 10 men, depends which guy it is, what he can bring, No. 1-2 dance (probably 2)

Canada would run away with this if there wasn't the question mark of KO and where she stands in training/stacks up against the rest of the girls. I give Canada the edge based on top finishes in Men and Dance, respectable in pairs.

Russia can grab the top spot by virtue of respectable finishes throughout. They should own the pairs by a large margin, then could realistically be respectable across all other disciplines (maybe grab a Bronze in ladies and dance, and a top 5 in men?)

USA is like Russia except not as well-rounded imo. Davis/White will be heavy hitters, and Wagner should be respectable in a top 5 finish, potential Bronze. The pairs will be down from Canada and Russia, but not by too much from Canada. And the men are a question mark (we don't know who will go) but they should be in the lower of a top. 10 finish.

My prediction: Russia (politics and well-rounded team), their downfall could be the men. Canada is right up there too (KO providing solid performances would do it for them with the team they have). I personally do not see USA grabbing a gold, but ice is slippery and we don't know what will happen.

ETA: I'm listing where I think the skaters stand in the world, I understand not every one of the top skaters will be competing at the team event (many will not).

vCash
    Australia!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Australia!
    Yeah!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I'd like to say Canada, but I really think it will be Russia to win this.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    Canada can win this, If Patrick Chan is skating at team finals.

Italy with Kostner, Berton/Hotarek and Capellini/Lanotte has a chance for bronze. They are still going to get 1 point for SP and 6 point for LP even If they don't have a men skater.

vCash
    I think its going to be Canada 1st, Russia 2nd and USA 3rd. It depends on the dance and the ladies for the order of the USA and the Russians.

Also if Korea has a team in the first round and Yuna comes first in the SP and Mao comes second then Yuna gets 10 pts and Mao gets 9. But then if Korea does not advance and Mao wins the FS she earns another 10 pts for a total of 19 pts (instead of 20 pts at WTT). Correct? If so this could make the Team event even more interesting if Nations with a weak team but a strong individual compete in the round of 10 and then get eliminated.

vCash
    1. Russia (will win pairs, ladies, top 2-3 in dance and then Pluschenko will get enough reputation points to round it off. He finally gets his gold medal and Russia wins team event which will be success at home games).

2. USA (will win dance and the rest will rise to skate their best for the team)

3. Canada** ( Chan 1-3, V&M 2-3, Pairs 4-5 and ladies is up in the air). Canada looked strong last season but already you can see the pairs getting lower PCS pushing them down the pecking order and a number of single skaters from countries in the qualifying rounds can mess with the standings and therefore the points.

** Italy could upset here. With Kostner, C&L and B&H their man just has to stand up and they could win bronze.

vCash
    The medals are between Canada, the US, and Russia, with Japan having a shot if their singles skaters finish first in both segments and their pairs & ice dancers don't finish last in the short programs. Everyone else will be in a dog fight for the final spot in the final - one of Italy, China, & France being the most likely teams to advance.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I hope it will be Russia. They have the strongest overall slate, and they don't ignore any one discipline. They're the only gold contender that is capable of sending a team of all World medalist skaters (though I doubt Leonova will be going). Canada is strong too, depending on Osmond - she did finish higher than the Russian ladies at Worlds, but then Lipnitskaya wasn't there. It's hard to say with the US being inconsistent in everything but dance.

I actually think/hope France has an outside shot at bronze. If I were Italy and France, I would be putting my skaters in the mindset of winning a team medal. It is just so unlikely that any skaters from these countries will be winning an individual medal, even Kostner given her Olympic history. A lot of the team event is about strategy and planning.

The pairs event will be the most interesting since we probably won't see China or Germany. I expect Russia to be first there, but V&T have said they're not doing the LP, and B&L or K&S are vulnerable. I expect Canada to be second in pairs, but D&R have lot to B&H this season. Its also not inconceivable that J&C for France or D&C for the US could have a really great skate and place 3rd in the LP, earning a lot of points.

vCash
    How is anyone seeing Canada lower than 2nd or 3rd in pairs? Russia will win pairs for sure, but other than China, there is no other country that is likely to be ahead of Canada (since Germany probably won't make the team event, right?) Canada will (I think) probably split up the pairs with D/R doing one program and M-T/M doing the other. Both are really strong and could easily come 2nd or 3rd in this event.

Canada will be 1st or 2nd in mens, and 1st or 2nd in dance. That leaves just ladies as the unpredictable factor.

I think it will be between Russia and Canada with

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    It's so close between Russia and Canada for that gold medal. If Joannie Rochette was actively participating, healthy, and skating like or better than she did at the Japan Open, it would almost be a done deal for Canada to take the gold. An injured/overcoming injury Kaetlyn Osmond presents a big question mark though. US will likely take bronze.

vCash
    Canada should win, but the way Russia is propping up dance and their man, they probably will. US will get third by default of having some eggs in all the baskets.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 11-27-2013 at 09:16 PM.

vCash
    Russia will win simply because this will be a disgrace of epic proportions how Russian skaters will be propped up. The fact that either one of the top 2 Russian Ice Dancing team will most likely win Bronze is

vCash
    I think Russia might just win this one!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Russia will win simply because this will be a disgrace of epic proportions how Russian skaters will be propped up. The fact that either one of the top 2 Russian Ice Dancing team will most likely win Bronze is
    Again, what is wrong with Elena/ Nikita's dance again. I know they are not from your country. Give another fault...

vCash
    Assertion one: Canada, USA and Russia are going to make the finals and I think will be the main contenders for the medals.

Assertion two: Of the remaining nations, Japan, China, Italy and France can really through a monkey wrench in things/spanner in the works, but only the latter two can medal (but they NEED to field their best teams to do so).

Assertion three: Ice dance will be the clinching event of the LP; ladies singles of the SP

Right now, I think Canada will be the one to take it.

vCash
    I think the gold will be between Canada and Russia, with probably the US getting the bronze. If I had to bet, I think I'd give the edge to Canada for gold. But this assumes that all their top skaters will participate, and Im not sure that's certain yet.