View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Despite the fact that it is basically just one big product placement (especially at the end), there were plenty of laughs in "The LEGO Movie." Morgan Freeman and Will Arnett are especially great voice-over actors in this.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I saw Labor Day today. It was nice to relax with a story, emotions without special effects, fights, blood, etc. Kate Winslet is wonderful I actually felt refreshed when I got out, instead of feeling drained and stressed which many other movies did to me.
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-23-2014 at 05:30 AM.

vCash
    Saw Captain Phillips today. Excellent movie. The tension and suspense were great Tom Hanks was very good. No surprise there.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Wow. Third week of release for the LEGO movie, third week it sits atop the weekly box office chart. While the change in box office take is down 37%, it still earned just over 31 million dollars. Man, you could buy a LOT of LEGO with that amount of :money:!! That brings it's 17 day total to 183 million domestically (and 52 million worldwide). It's going to be interesting to see what it's final tally is.

Okay, quick box office quiz. Which debut of the week would do better: a big budget (100 million) CGI-infused blockbuster (aka Pompeii) or a mid-budget (28 million) Kevin Costner thriller? Why, the box office titan Kevin Costner would win that battle, of course! 3 Days To Kill debuts at #2 with just over 12 million and Pompeii takes the bronze with 10 million. Hmm. Wonder if Pompeii is going to lose money??

The only other thing of note on the box office chart is a bunch of big drop-offs from last week. Compare them to the -37 drop of the LEGO movie in it's third week: About Last Night (-71 in week two), Winter's Tale (also -71 in week two), Endless Love (-68 in week two), Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (-62%) and That Awkward Moment (-60%).
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Afterlife
    vCash
    The problem with Pompeii is that the trailers couldn't even hide how much of a stinker it is. It seems to fit in the action genre in the vein of 300 and Immortals and with the exception of 300 which made this trend in action movies popular, none of them seem to do well. Immortals was really bad. It's really only worth watching if you like looking at a lot of hot, shirtless guys and cool fight scenes. The writing was horrible. That's really all I expect out of the upcoming Hercules movie that Kellan Lutz is in as well. But none of the movies seem to be able to capitalize on this subset of the action genres potential to make a movie that actually doesn't suck.
    They can't just keep throwing hot guys with 6 packs and no shirts onto the screen and hope that people will pay to see it in the theatre. They'll just wait for On Demand or Netflix.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Movie news:

Full Trailer for Rhythm & Hues' 'Life After Pi' VFX Industry Doc
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/wat...-industry-doc/

An official trailer has debuted for a documentary on visual effects company Rhythm & Hues, which became the center of attention in 2013 when their work on Life of Pi won the Oscar, despite employees protesting on the streets just outside, still waiting for their paycheck.

Jeremy Renner rumoured to be out as Hawkeye in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
    http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/0...=zergnet_60764

Marvel are of course notorious for playing hard ball, and as we've seen in the case of Terrence Howard and Edward Norton, the studio aren't afraid to recast a role if they feel its appropriate.
    The article says that usually it’s about the money. But not so in Renner’s case…

12 Movie Stars whose Careers Are in the Hot Seat: (Poll) Which actor are you rooting for the most?
    http://www.hitfix.com/news/12-movie-...n-the-hot-seat

• Zac Efron
    • Chris Pine
    • Ryan Reynolds
    • Aaron Eckhart
    • Shia LaBeouf
    • Kevin James
    • Keanu Reeves
    • Rosario Dawson
    • Amanda Seyfried
    • Naomi Watts
    • Armie Hammer
    • Hailee Steinfeld

(So Keanu Reeves caree is only in jeopardy now??)

vCash
    The Renner article has been updated. Apparently the rumor was back in May and had been disproven. He will be back as Hawkeye.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I will be preparing the new movie thread over the next couple of days, so the previews of new movies this week are posted below, a little earlier than usual. Non-Stop is on my To See list and Two Lives looks good, but didn't quite have enough oomph to get me to add it to my list. The Bag Man and Repentance have good casts, but the trailers look really bad!

February 28th - Non-Stop - Thriller with Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSF6GPNXr9Y
    2.5 million views

February 28th - Two Lives – Dramatic thriller with Liv Ullman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWQ3cAYWoNg

February 28th - Stalingrad – Russian war drama. From imdb.com: “A band of Russian soldiers fight to hold a strategic building in their devastated city against a ruthless German army, and in the process become deeply connected to two Russian women who have been living there.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I7HCitb9Eg

February 28th - The Bag Man – Dramatic thriller with John Cusack, Robert De Niro, Dominic Purcell and Crispin Glover
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKBLfwVEKP8

February 28th - Repentance – Horror thriller with Anthony Mackie, Forest Whitaker and Mike Epps
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwBgGZIzliw

vCash
    I want to see Non-stop and Stalingrad.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I re-watched Stranger than Fiction last night. I'd forgotten most of the details since last I'd seen it. Wow, what a fabulous movie it is. The acting and writing, all top-notch, and of course such a fantastic premise.

As I was watching I was thinking to myself, "how on Earth did this not get nominated for best original screenplay?" Then I went and checked what movies were nominated that year and I'd be hard-pressed to delete any of them ... but still. Great, great film.

vCash
    Criterion is having a 50 percent off sale on all movies in stock, ending tomorrow at noon ET. The promo code is MADFOX. Enjoy! (I know I'm going to! )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Free movies (probably only in Canada though):

http://www.lifemadedelicious.ca/Home...tent=ENE_Promo

Free snacks, too. I'm going to be stocking up on cereal! (And maybe some granola bars, too.)

having a nice day
    vCash
    Are the hot shirtless guys wearing tunics in Immortals??
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    I watched The Way, Way Back the other day and recommend it pretty highly with a bit of an exception. The cast is top-notch, what with Sam Rockwell, Maya Rudolph, Steve Carrell, Toni Collette and Alison Janney. The script is very, very good and the movie is as much fun as it is thoughtul. But one think irked me. This is basically a coming of age story for a young male, how he is empowered somewhat thanks to a few adults around him. But one part of this empowerment tale has older males teaching this young guy not only to objectify females, but how to do it. And how to prolong the objectification. And in the movie, this is a humour moment, that we are all to laugh about how this 14 year old uses his newfound power to hold back females so that he can ogle them. It just seemed out of place and put a big blotch on an otherwise really wonderful movie.

vCash
    I'm watching Gun Shy. I forgot how much I enjoyed this movie and I love the soundtrack too. I mostly love it for Liam Neeson and Oliver Platt but the guys in Liam's group therapy were pretty fun too.
    Last edited by mpal2; 02-27-2014 at 01:40 AM.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Guardians of the Galaxy trailer:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    Are the hot shirtless guys wearing tunics in Immortals??
    They are, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    I watched The Way, Way Back the other day and recommend it pretty highly with a bit of an exception. The cast is top-notch, what with Sam Rockwell, Maya Rudolph, Steve Carrell, Toni Collette and Alison Janney. The script is very, very good and the movie is as much fun as it is thoughtul. But one think irked me. This is basically a coming of age story for a young male, how he is empowered somewhat thanks to a few adults around him. But one part of this empowerment tale has older males teaching this young guy not only to objectify females, but how to do it. And how to prolong the objectification. And in the movie, this is a humour moment, that we are all to laugh about how this 14 year old uses his newfound power to hold back females so that he can ogle them. It just seemed out of place and put a big blotch on an otherwise really wonderful movie.
    I felt the same way about The Way, Way Back. I did think it was the stronger of the 2 young man coming of age movies that came out last year. The other being The Kings of Summer, which was decent but seemed to be missing something, while The Way, Way Back wasn't.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I saw Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit with my sister Mary tonight. I thought it was pretty good. There's always a few obvious things that happen in movies like this (will his female partner be kidnapped? will he save her??) and a few plot holes (will the

Spoiler

as a back-up plan? But those problems did not overshadow a very well written, acted and directed movie. We were on the edge of our seats for pretty much the whole movie, it moved at a very nice pace. And I'm always pleased to watch Chris Pine's sleek frame and oh-so-blue eyes. So...a question. Are his eyes REALLY that blue? Or does he always wear blue contact lenses? Have any of you ever met somebody who has eyes NATURALLY that blue??

vCash
    I'm wondering if those sword and sandal movies are now better suited to TV. Game of Thrones and Spartacus both are popular but I think Spartacus would not have been as popular if Craig Parker, John Hannah and Lucy Lawless weren't given the time to make their characters compelling villains and Crixus gaining respect for Spartacus was reduced to a montage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    And I'm always pleased to watch Chris Pine's sleek frame and oh-so-blue eyes. So...a question. Are his eyes REALLY that blue? Or does he always wear blue contact lenses? Have any of you ever met somebody who has eyes NATURALLY that blue??
    I was thinking the same thing about Travis Fimmel last night while watching a new (to me) show last night - the History Channel's "Vikings". Google Images photos of Fimmel have me thinking there is some enhancement for the show.

Chris Pine

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast