View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
    vCash
    Saw Robocop yesterday and it was not nearly as awful as I feared. However the original is still better.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Some foreign language films I've seen of late:

Shanghai Triad (1995, starring Gong Li) - I'm a big Gong Li fan, I've been trying to see all her movies since I first saw one of her movies. Shanghai Triad was nominated for an Oscar for best cinematography. It was directed by Yimou Zhang who has directed Christian Bale in 2011's The Flowers of War as well as Curse of the Golden Flower, House of Flying Daggers, Hero and one of my MOST favourite movies of all time: Not One Less. The imdb.com description for Shanghai Triad: "A provincial boy related to a Shanghai crime family is recruited by his uncle into cosmopolitan Shanghai in the 1930s to be a servant to a ganglord's mistress." It wasn't my most favourite Gong Li movie, but I recommend it. A bit simpler and slower than I expected, but if you like foreign films, you should consider this one.

Mountain Patrol (2004). I found this one tough to get into. A slow start but things picked up in the second half. An interesting story about lives very unlike anything we would experience. The imdb.com description: "The Tibetan Mountain Patrol, a self-sponsored outcast regimen established to eliminate illegal slaughtering of endangered Tibetan Antelopes by impoverished local and out-of-province peasants, intimately engages with a half-Tibetan journalist from Beijing in a desolate depiction of human nature in the outskirts of Kekexili."

And I skimmed through In The Mood For Love (Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung) as it's one I had seen already but had forgotten I had seen. Imdb.com has this movie in it's top 250 of all time (at #231). And it was nominated for a BAFTA for best foreign language film. The imdb.com description: "A man and a woman move in to neighboring Hong Kong apartments and form a bond when they both suspect their spouses of extramarital activities." The two leads really make this film work for me. Leung was in "Infernal Affairs" (which I definitely recommend) which was later remade in English. You might have heard of The Departed starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jack Nicholson? And Maggie Cheung has been nominated for 10 Hong Kong Film Awards. Movies of Cheung's you might have heard about include Hero and 2046.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    One thing I remember from Shanghai Triad was that they had really annoying children's songs sung in Chinese.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

having a nice day
    vCash
    I saw mountain patrol. It was life unlike most of us have. It was interesting. I think iwatched it twice.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    The 10 Best Movies You Didn't See in 2013
    http://news.moviefone.com/photos/the...zergnet_129745

Trance (director Danny Boyle)
    The Bling Ring
    Upstream Color
    Sightseers
    To The Wonder
    After Tiller
    Short Term 12
    Metallica: Through the Never
    Prince Avalanche
    The Lone Ranger

In case you're wondering about the validity of this list with the inclusion of The Lone Ranger, it's interesting how they talk about it. How it was marketed all wrong and how it's interesting in ways people would not expect from a summer blockbuster, which this article says it wasn't really. Makes me want to see it more now after reading this article.

vCash
    Sigh. These days I see almost exclusively animated films. Not that they're all bad, but. . . The LEGO movie was pretty entertaining but I didn't have high expectations. Everything is awesome, people.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I finished watching Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry last night. Some rude person at the library chose to put a hold on my copy and I can't watch it at my own pace and renew it three times like I sometimes do with movies.... Luckily it was pretty easy to get through. Very interesting movie about a man who is equally passionate about art as he is social change. It's interesting when you see a movie about someone who is giving so much of himself to change the world...and then walk away from his tearful mother who is talking about how she is worried he will be hurt or even killed. And a number of scenes after we meet his wife, we find out he has a child with another woman. And he's rather blasé about it. The filmmaker chose not to let us see his wife again and see how she felt about any of this. So here's a movie about wanting to change an oppressive government while we see varying examples of sexism at play throughout the movie. What's interesting about this is that the director of the movie is a woman (Alison Klayman, who also serves as writer of this documentary).

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    The 10 Best Movies You Didn't See in 2013
    Trance (director Danny Boyle)
    The Bling Ring
    Upstream Color
    Sightseers
    To The Wonder
    After Tiller
    Short Term 12
    Metallica: Through the Never
    Prince Avalanche
    The Lone Ranger
    Of those I've seen:
    ~ Trance -- very entertaining but not really memorable.
    ~ Upstream Color -- not my cup of tea. At. All. But I can see how it would make a top-ten list.
    ~ To the Wonder -- beautiful to look at, but a clunker in story and character.
    ~ Short Term 12 -- Loved it, one of my favourite films of the year. (I think I posted about this earlier.)

Sightseers has been on my to-see list for a while but I haven't been able to find it. I'm in the library queue for Prince Avalance.

I'll take a pass on Lone Ranger, The Bling Ring, and Metallica.

vCash
    Last night I watched Wadjda, a film by first-time Saudi writer/director Haifaa Al-Mansour.

It's one of those movies that's greater than the sum of its parts: the film is a lovely story and beautifully told, but the fact that they were able to make it at all is what's really remarkable. It's the first feature film shot entirely in Saudi Arabia, ever. And as a woman, Al-Mansour had unimaginable challenges, like having to direct via walky-talky since she wasn't able to be out in public if there were any non-movie people in the vicinity. Or daily barrages from random people on the street coming up to the crew and demanding to see documentation that they have permission to be there. Mind-boggling.

vCash
    Jai Courtney from Spartacus has been cast as Kyle Reece in the Terminator remake. *sigh* I wonder why he's the breakout star there. Manu Bennett and Dustin Clare were the most memorable actors for me.

vCash
    Meryl Streep Will Be Emmeline Pankhurst In Suffragette

Meryl Streep in a small-but-key role in a film about an important historical movement? Playing a real person? You can almost hear some Oscar voters’ hands unconsciously reaching for an imaginary ballot paper and feverishly ticking invisible boxes like some demented Evil Dead appendage

Bette Midler to perform at Oscars for 1st time; producers don't say which number she chose

Previously announced musical performers include Pharrell Williams and Idina Menzel. Williams will be singing his Oscar-nominated tune "Happy" from "Despicable Me." Menzel will sing her hit number "Let it Go" from Disney's "Frozen."
    Last edited by watchthis!!; 02-20-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I just found out that imdb.com has movie quizzes. I tried the easy version of Oscar winners quiz here:

http://www.imdb.com/games/guess/titlescar_winners

I got eight out of ten correct, with a game score of 358. I didn't realize the quiz is timed, that's how you get a higher score, by typing in the correct answer quickly. You get five clues on the same page listed altogether for each movie and some letters of the movie titles are given to you so you just need to fill in the blanks. You don't need to use capitals, but you do need to click on "next question" each time which I forgot to do. Not sure if that affected my score.

ETA: The challenging and genius versions of each quiz are the same, you just get less clues for each harder version.

vCash
    If it need more than one sentence to explain it's probably more complicated than I can be bothered with.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    This week's new releases are below. I plan to see Pompeii next weekend with some friends. Other than that, this list is a lot of maybe's for me. The Elaine Stritch one might be good. Child's Pose has a good trailer and In Secret has a good cast...I think this one was mentioned in an earlier thread, maybe it was postponed until now? But I'm not adding anything from this week's list to my To See list. Unless some of you start recommending some of these that you saw and loved.

February 21st - Pompeii - Historical action adventure with Kit Harington, Emily Browning, Kiefer Sutherland, Carrie-Anne Moss, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TRwfxDICM
    4.4 million views

February 21st - Three Days to Kill - Action thriller with Kevin Costner, Hailee Steinfeld, Amber Heard and Connie Nielsen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBnKYDDDq8

February 21st - Son of God – Drama, new cast. From imdb.com: “The life story of Jesus is told from his humble birth through his teachings, crucifixion and ultimate resurrection.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcIXCok9HPg
    3.3 million views

February 21st - Barefoot – Romantic comedy with Evan Rachel Wood, Scott Speedman, J.K. Simmons and Treat Williams
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-b_mPVuNOI

February 21st - Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me – Documentary. From imdb.com: “The uncompromising Tony and Emmy Award-winner is showcased both on and off stage via rare archival footage and intimate cinema vérité.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQysjiUA68U

February 19th - Child's Pose – Romanian drama. From imdb.com: “Seeing a way to reassert control over her adult son's life when he faces manslaughter charges, an affluent Romanian woman sets out on a campaign of emotional and social manipulation to keep him out of prison…”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQUh3hoGSfI

February 21st - In Secret – Dramatic crime thriller with Elizabeth Olsen, Tom Felton, Jessica Lange, Shirley Henderson and Oscar Isaac
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L58WBZDHP1s

February 21st - Omar – Dramatic thriller, new cast. From imdb.com: “A young Palestinian freedom fighter agrees to work as an informant after he's tricked into an admission of guilt by association in the wake of an Israeli soldier's killing.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5dSeBD-qiY

February 21st - Holy Ghost People – Dramatic thriller, new cast. From imdb.com: “ In this psychological thriller, nineteen-year old Charlotte enlists the help of alcoholic ex-Marine Wayne to find her estranged sister who has gone missing deep in the Appalachian Mountains.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NFpyMiW2is

vCash
    When I first heard about Pompeii I was excited to see it, just because I'd been to the real Pompeii last November. But now that I've seen the trailers ... no thanks. Looks like a giant OTT CGI-overloaded Hollywood schlockfest. I'll pass.

vCash
    I watched The Purge last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it!! It's an interesting movie, but

Spoiler

vCash
    Just saw the trailer for the new Alan Partridge movie coming out next month -- that one definitely goes on my must-see list.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I watched After Earth last night and it was kind of tough to enjoy because of all the negative crap put out there about it. I had lowered my expectations so that I could enjoy it, but I realize now that I was looking for problems with the movie instead of just enjoying it for what it was. I need to block out negative reaction to a movie which I'm pretty sure I liked. I realized with After Earth that I've gotten got for enjoying movies for what they are...and not faulting them for what they are not. After Earth is like Tom Cruise's Oblivion. I quiet drama set in a sci-fi setting. After Earth is a simple adventure and family drama movie. Because it came out in the summer, people expected a violent free-for-all like Batman and Ironman and After Earth was not that type of movie. I'm not saying the movie is perfect, the usual adventure story cliché's pop up as do that boneheaded "I AM A MAN" type of stupid stuff we see with men's roles in Hollywood movies. I've learned to take those things with a grain of salt. But this is a movie about a father and son trying to make a connection with one another. And it does a good enough job at that. The visuals are beautiful, the CGI wonderful so it's enjoyable to watch just for the look of it. And I liked how it had a slower pace like Oblivion rather than constantly throwing something in our face every five minutes. A thumbs up.

Melissa McCarthy is a Poor Burglar in the First 'Tammy' Teaser
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/wat...-tammy-teaser/

“Tammy” will co-star Allison Janney, Gary Cole, Mark Duplass, Toni Collette, Nat Faxon, Dan Aykroyd and Kathy Bates. That’s quite the cast!
    That really is a great cast. I'm watching McCarthy in The Heat right now...I lurves her!!

Director Zhang Yimou to Helm Robert Ludlum's 'The Parsifal Mosaic'
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/dir...rsifal-mosaic/

Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are producing with the Ludlum estate's Captivate Entertainment with a script from Road to Perdition writer David Self.
    He is a wonderful director. Directors before him have done great stuff with Ludlum's books, so I'm very much looking forward to this movie!

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I watched After Earth last night and it was kind of tough to enjoy because of all the negative crap put out there about it. I had lowered my expectations so that I could enjoy it, but I realize now that I was looking for problems with the movie instead of just enjoying it for what it was. I need to block out negative reaction to a movie which I'm pretty sure I liked. I realized with After Earth that I've gotten got for enjoying movies for what they are...and not faulting them for what they are not. After Earth is like Tom Cruise's Oblivion. I quiet drama set in a sci-fi setting. After Earth is a simple adventure and family drama movie. Because it came out in the summer, people expected a violent free-for-all like Batman and Ironman and After Earth was not that type of movie. I'm not saying the movie is perfect, the usual adventure story cliché's pop up as do that boneheaded "I AM A MAN" type of stupid stuff we see with men's roles in Hollywood movies. I've learned to take those things with a grain of salt. But this is a movie about a father and son trying to make a connection with one another. And it does a good enough job at that. The visuals are beautiful, the CGI wonderful so it's enjoyable to watch just for the look of it. And I liked how it had a slower pace like Oblivion rather than constantly throwing something in our face every five minutes. A thumbs up.
    My problem with After Earth was that Jaden Smith is really bad at acting. The rest of it was fine.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    My problem with After Earth was that Jaden Smith is really bad at acting. The rest of it was fine.
    I despise that little changeling with the heat of a thousand suns.

The Red Shoes is on TCM right now - makes Black Swan look like a third-grade dance recital.

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast