View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I watched three war-related movies over the last few weeks.

Restrepo (2010 documentary) - This one was by far the best. It was made by Sebastian Junger (a journalist and documentarian) and Tim Hetherington (a photojournalist). They spent a year in Afghanistan with a platoon in one of the most strategically crucial valleys. It's just a great overall view of life for soldiers in a war. I found it to be very neutral, which is very rare for documentaries these days. I completely recommend this one.

Redacted (2007, fictional war drama, written and directed by Brian DePalma) - I just watched three youtube clips to use for this post, but all of them make this movie look MUCH better than it is. So I don't want to mis-lead you. The writing and acting/directing is so steeped in stereotypes, it's really belittling to the story (based on actual events) and the people who are part of the military.

The War Tapes (2006 documentary) - Filmed over the course of one year by soldiers in Iraq. At first I didn't like this one as much as Restrepo as it seemed to focus on poorly educated yahoo's, but that was just one part of this movie and as it progresses, we get to see these men in a different light. Restrepo has a broader view of war and the men fighting it, whereas The War Tapes focusses more on the lives of the men and what their lives are like, both during their time in Iraq as well as when they go back home. So I recommend this one and Restrepo, but avoid Redacted like the plague.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I saw "Monuments Men" and it was okay, definitely had tonal problems. Honestly it felt like it would have been better as some TV mini-series though as the characters remained rather undeveloped.
    I saw The Monuments Men today. The tonal issues didn't bother me much. At the saddest and most horrible moments, they weren't humorous. For example, when they discovered the gold extracted from the teeth of Jews going to their deaths, the mood was very somber.

But, ITA about the characters. The movie was too unfocused. There were different pairs in different places and they were jumping around over the course of the movie, so we didn't really see the characters or their relationships develop. I like both Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett, but I didn't feel like they had any chemistry in this movie, although they didn't really have a whole lot of opportunity to develop chemistry.

I also wish they had spent a little bit more time talking about the art and the role of art in various cultures.

I didn't think the movie was great, but it was better than I expected given the reviews.

vCash
    I saw The Disappearance of Alice Creed tonight and it was quite amazing! It stars Gemma Arterton and Eddie Marsan and is a crime thriller that came out in 2009. It's definitely worth everybody checking out. Really great script and pitch-perfect direction and acting. Usually with movies that have lots of twists and turns there are a few plot points that come up that don't make sense or make you go . But I didn't notice anything that didn't fit or didn't make sense. A great Saturday night flick!

vCash
    The Lego Movie was hilarious, and I suspect it'll be even funnier to watch again (sans 3D) as there were lots of fun stuff happening in the background at times. The things that made me laugh the most were the vocal sound effects, and the pig that broke into sausages when it fell down. And the ghost.
    However, I did see some comment saying it's better than Toy Story, and, well, no. It's hilarious, but it doesn't have the emotional impact of any of the TS films, IMO. There were some emotional bits, but they were a bit too sugary and on the nose for my liking. Oh well, it's still going on my dvd shelf. And now I want to go to that place in Oslo that sells loose weight Lego bricks and just buy all the bricks.

By the way, has anybody mentioned the adorable little stinger after the credits of Frozen? It's adorable.

Today I'm seeing Only Lovers Left Alive. I don't suppose you can go wrong with Tilda Swinton AND Tom Hiddleston, but we'll see.

vCash

Today I'm seeing Only Lovers Left Alive. I don't suppose you can go wrong with Tilda Swinton AND Tom Hiddleston, but we'll see.
    The things I learn when visiting FSU....

I had not heard of this film until your post (release in US not until April). I went to IMDB, disappointed to see the very brief summary and thought - "oh another vampire movie". But, after reading a few of the comments, it looks quite interesting. So thanks Sofia Alexandra!

vCash
    The thing that pleases me the most about OLLA* is that somewhere, someday soon, a Twilight fan is going to be all excited about seeing a vampire film featuring "Loki", and then they'll find themselves watching two hours of very low-key vampire drama with an understated kind of humour but no "action" to speak of. This is NOT Twilight, or even Interview With A Vampire; I think it'll appeal to the same kind of people who made The Crow into a cult film, and the goth and emo crowds have a new set of heroes in Adam and Eve.

It's a film to see, but I'm not entirely sure it needs to be seen in cinema.

*And that's an acronym that's rather... unfortunate. At least to Swedes.

having a nice day
    vCash
    http://cabinetmagazine.org/issues/51/archibald.php

Is interesting article about Max Factor, one of the premier Hollywood make-up artists back when. He also made wigs. If you like backstory, this is a good one.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Fascinating.

The Factor Brothers, creators of the "Smashbox" photography/makeup empire, are Max Factor's great-grandsons

vCash
    BAFTA Award Winners' list!

Congrats to my girl Jennifer on her first BAFTA Award! Though I was honestly surprised, I thought Lupita probably had the rest of the awards in the bag. I thought both were excellent in their respective movies and don't really mind who wins, though of course my favorite will always be Jennifer.

vCash
    Has anyone seen Nebraska? Is it good?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I finally watched 1916's "Intolerance". It's D. W. Griffith's follow-up to Birth of a Nation, which got criticized for being racist. I believe Griffith felt people were being intolerant of his work, so that's where this movie came from. It's DEFINITELY monumental in it's epic scale. Shocking actually to see how much they put into a movie at such an early stage of cinema. And it demands a lot of it's audience with the four inter-woven stories. But I'm just not a silent film uber. I have a few more of those on my To See list, I probably need to limit my viewing of silent movies to one per season (or less).

Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    15 Great Movies Ruined By Awful Endings
    http://www.chacha.com/gallery/2943/w...rrible-endings

Signs
    Okay, I am one of the rare people who will defend M. Night to the death, but the big twist of this movie was...AWFUL! That said, once I try to block that plot point from my brain...the rest of the movie was good!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Restrepo (2010 documentary)

Redacted (2007, fictional war drama, written and directed by Brian DePalma)

The War Tapes (2006 documentary)
    Uh-oh, I'm quoting myself!! I forgot to say how disappointed I was at the conversation of these movies on the imdb boards. It's not shocking that people have very strong opinions there, but pretty much thread after thread was a screaming match of, "I'M RIGHT!!!", "NO, I'M RIGHT!!!" that I gave up for any meaningful interaction. Which is crappy because these movies really makes one think and it's nice to be able to sort through your thoughts with good discussion. Alas, it was not to be found.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Barkhad Abdi won for Best Supporting Actor . He has an agent and has moved to Hollywood to see where this new acting career will take him. What a beautiful dream he's living right now.

vCash
    Was Dallad Buyer's Club ineligible for the BAFTAs? I noticed neither Leto nor McConaughey were even nominated.

vCash
    Movie news:

Watch: Olympics Preview for Angelina Jolie's New Movie 'Unbroken'
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/wat...ovie-unbroken/

The story is actually about an Olympian, one Louis "Louie" Zamperini, played in this (once he's older) by Jack O'Connell, who, along with two other crewmen, survived in a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash in WWII—only to be caught by the Japanese Navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp.

Melissa McCarthy is a Poor Burglar in the First 'Tammy' Teaser
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/wat...-tammy-teaser/

“Tammy” will co-star Allison Janney, Gary Cole, Mark Duplass, Toni Collette, Nat Faxon, Dan Aykroyd and Kathy Bates. That’s quite the cast!

Director Zhang Yimou to Helm Robert Ludlum's 'The Parsifal Mosaic'
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/dir...rsifal-mosaic/

After bringing hit Chinese films to the US such as Hero and House of Flying Daggers, director Zhang Yimou is situating himself with an American film at Universal Pictures.
    Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are producing with the Ludlum estate's Captivate Entertainment with a script from Road to Perdition writer David Self.

Romance About Spencer Tracy & Katharine Hepburn in Development
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/rom...n-development/

John Dayton, who worked with Hepburn on The Man Upstairs, This Can’t Be Love, Love Affair and One Christmas is producing the film, so he should have a good eye for finding the right actress to bring Hepburn to life again.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    The LEGO movie stays on top of this week's box office chart, dropping off only 29% from last week's take (but taking in 48 million). Sometimes a movie can drop off over 60% in it's second week, so this one has staying power. Maybe all kids/family movies do well in this way, because Frozen also dropped off far less than movies like Thor and The Hunger Games did.

Kevin Hart's "About Last Night" debuted at #2 with 27 million, which is twice the production budget (13 million). I wondered aloud last week if Ride Along was a success because of Hart or because of the movie's premise. And how About Last Night would/could be a big turning point for Kevin Hart. I didn't see how a remake of the that 1986 movie could be a hit, but Mr. Hart has proven me wrong. Hollywood has to be looking at him very differently right now with two big movie hits in less than a month on his resume. Hart has "Think Like a Man Too" coming out in June as well as a musical comedy drama called School Dance. January next year sees the release of the Wedding Ringer which he stars in with Josh Gad and Kaley Cuoco (among others). And then voice work in two animated films.

Robocop debuts at #3 with 21 million (on a production budget of 100 million). Let's hope it takes in some big overseas revenue, or the world will never get to a sequel to this baby!

Two romances complete the debuts, Endless Love at #5 with 13 million on a 20 million budget and Colin Farrell's Winter's Tale at #7 with almost eight million revenue on a 46 million budget. Don't think Colin's flick will see a profit, big overseas revenue comes about through action movies, not romances. Mr. Farrell, if you need comfort this Valentine's Day week, my arms are open all night.

Lastly, the only movie in the top 20 that sees as jump in revenue is Philomena at #16 which jumps 86%. It has now taken in over 30 million in North America. Can't find a budget number for this one, but it has made 41 million overseas, so I'm sure it's made a very healthy profit.

vCash
    I saw 'Philomena' today. Wonderful movie. Very touching, suspenseful, emotional, but in a subtle way; not the mushy kind. Both main characters were superb. I am surprised that the actor did not get a supporting actor nomination. Judi Dench was wonderful, even better than usual.

vCash
    I finished watching The Ice house, a two-part British mystery. It's based on a Minette Walters novel and it's much more involved than I expected. I should have paid much closer attention to the characters and the diverging storylines as I got confused by the end as to who was who and all that was going on. It's not overly complex, it's just that I didn't realize I needed to pay attention as much as I should have. The biggest star is a young man named Daniel Craig chap who moved on to feature films I hear. And his love interest is played by an actress who quit the biz shortly after filming The Ice House once she married a certain Mark Knopfler. Guess he needed help spending his money!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    The thing that pleases me the most about OLLA* is that somewhere, someday soon, a Twilight fan is going to be all excited about seeing a vampire film featuring "Loki", and then they'll find themselves watching two hours of very low-key vampire drama with an understated kind of humour but no "action" to speak of. This is NOT Twilight, or even Interview With A Vampire; I think it'll appeal to the same kind of people who made The Crow into a cult film, and the goth and emo crowds have a new set of heroes in Adam and Eve.

It's a film to see, but I'm not entirely sure it needs to be seen in cinema.

*And that's an acronym that's rather... unfortunate. At least to Swedes.
    Found it, watched it and liked it :-) Moody, great music, beautifully filmed.

Can you share the translation of the unfortunate acronym?

Thanks again for mentioning this film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Has anyone seen Nebraska? Is it good?
    I liked it, didn't love it. Dern and Forte were good, but June Squibb steals the show in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity View Post
    I liked it, didn't love it. Dern and Forte were good, but June Squibb steals the show in my opinion.
    That's how I feel. I really respected it. I preferred Alexander Payne's other works though, like The Descendents and Election.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast