View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Saw Monuments Men this weekend, which was

It is a serious topic that was done in a very fluffy manner, with random serious, depressing scenes that felt completely out of place. It's a really interesting story, but it seemed lie nothing happened. And the acting is sub part. Don't waste your money.
    I kind of figured that it wouldn't translate that well to a movie after reading the book. There are some fascinating stories and characters but not necessarily easily translated to a movie format.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Last night I saw 'Catching Fire' at an IMAX cinema. I had seen the movie multiple times before but all of those were before the passing of Philip SH. When he first appeared on the screen, it felt rather strange.

I enjoyed the IMAX format. I was noticing more details, like the snow flakes coming down, and actually seeing each flake. The Quarter Quell arena looked fabulous on the big screen. The Mockingjay appearance on the stage was even more powerful. Overall it was worth paying the extra money for.

vCash
    Saw 'American Hustle' last weekend and really liked it. The acting was superb. It just made it to town, obviously I live in a small town. BUT I live near two different car hops with rollerskating waiters/esses and our cottage is near a drive in theater.
    Last edited by mrr50; 02-11-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Shirley Temple, child star turned political activist, dies in California at 85

From that article:

Shirley Temple was America's top box-office draw from 1935 to 1938, a record no other child star has come near. She beat out such grown-ups as Clark Gable, Bing Crosby, Robert Taylor, Gary Cooper and Joan Crawford.
    Templed was was credited with helping save 20th Century Fox from bankruptcy. In 1999, the American Film Institute ranked her at #18 of the greatest actresses of all time. She retired from acting at 21, then raised a family and later "became active in politics and held several diplomatic posts in Republican administrations, including ambassador to Czechoslovakia during the historic collapse of communism in 1989."

Temple's Wikipedia page

One item that specifically stood out to me, mentioned in the section where Fox Films merged with Twentieth Century Pictures:

With four successful films to her credit, she was the studio's greatest asset. Nineteen writers known as the Shirley Temple Story Development team created 11 original stories and some adaptations of the classics for her.
    Temple's imdb page

She was never nominated for an Academy Award, but did win a special Juvenile Oscar "in grateful recognition of her outstanding contribution to screen entertainment during the year 1934."

From the trivia section:

* Temple was married to Charles Black for 55 years, until his death in 2005. He admitted to her while they were courting that he had never seen any of her movies. She calls it corny but she admitted that she fell in love with Charles Black at first sight.

* In recent years she openly admitted to a mastectomy operation, perhaps the first public figure ever to do so, and she encouraged other women who required the surgery to follow her example without fear.

* She was supposed to play Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz (1939), but 20th Century Fox refused to lend her to MGM, so Judy Garland was cast in the role.

* When she was 7 years old, Temple's life was insured with Lloyd's of London, and the contract stipulated that no benefits would be paid if the child film star met with death or injury while intoxicated.

* Actresses Shirley Jones and Shirley MacLaine were both named after her.

* Auditioned twice to be in "Our Gang" / "The Little Rascals." She apparently failed the first audition, and made the second while she was appearing in the "Baby Burlesks" series. "Our Gang" director Robert F. McGowan refused to agree to Shirley's mother's request that Shirley receive star billing with "Our Gang," so she didn't get in.

* Bill Robinson (aka "Bojangles Robinson") was her idol when she was a child, and she got to work with him on four pictures.

* In a 1988 interview with Larry King, she stated that out of the $3 million she generated for 20th Century Fox she only saw $45,000 in her trust fund.

* A close friend and supporter of Republican Presidents Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan.

* When Gary Cooper first met Shirley Temple on the set of their movie Now and Forever (1934) he asked for her autograph.

* In 1965 she filmed a TV pilot called "Go Fight City Hall" but it did not sell.

* She was elected to the board of directors of Walt Disney Productions in May, 1974.

Personal quotes:

* I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph.

* Any star can be devoured by human adoration, sparkle by sparkle.

* I'm not too proud of the movies I made as a grownup except for That Hagen Girl (1947), which nobody remembers but which gave me a chance to act.

* I class myself with Rin Tin Tin. People in the Depression wanted something to cheer them up, and they fell in love with a dog and a little girl.

* One famous movie executive who shall remain nameless, exposed himself to me in his office. "Mr X", I said, "I thought you were a producer, not an exhibitor".
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I watched Stay the other day. Ryan Gosling, Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts are the stars. I'd label it an interesting mess. It's one of those types of movies that when it's over, you realize what was going on but then need to watch it again now that you know the story behind the story. So it might work upon a second viewing, but like I said, it seemed like a mess while I was watching it. Too confusing. And just not interesting enough to watch it a second time to look it with the new information I have now that it's all over. Plus it's from Gosling's creepy guy phase. I like his "hot-bod-Crazy Stupid Love" phase much, much better.

vCash
    Watched a French comedy "Jacky au Royaume des Filles" ("Jacky in the kingdom of girls"): imagine a country ruled by females where males are submissive and wear the veil. You'd expect from the trailer a hilarious movie but I seldom laughed. Not bad though.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    70 million in box office for a Lego movie? In just THREE days? You betcha! It opened in over 3700 theatres, made a whopping $18,291 per theatre...oh yeah, and it opened at #1! The Monuments Men debuted at #2 with 22 million and a pretty good $7,137 per theatre average. The budget for The Lego movie was 60 million, so it'll make money. But The Monuments Men with a 70 million budget will probably end up in the red.

The only other debut this week is The Vampire Academy which took in just under 4 million and a pretty bad $1,466 per theatre average. I tried a lot of sites to find out what it's budget was, but that info is being kept top secret! All I found was a few mentions is that they didn't have the budget to do a lot of "magic things". (Like getting people to go to the theatre?? )

The only other thing of note is that Ride Along has passed the 100 million mark (in just 24 days). Kevin Hart is in the remake of the 1986 uber-smash (sarcasm) "About Last Night". I think it's going to be really interesting to see how this does. If it's a hit, it's going to have people looking at him in a whole new way. If it flops, Ride Along will be seen as a good vehicle that could have starred anybody.

vCash
    Stephen King movies in the works:

Cell - 2015 release date, starring Samuel L. Jackson, Isabelle Fuhrman (The Hunger Games) & John Cusack...directed by Todd Williams (Paranormal Activity 2)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775440/?ref_=nv_sr_4

‘True Detective’ Director Cary Fukunaga Still Adapting Stephen King’s ‘IT’
    http://screenrant.com/stephen-king-i...tive-director/

- Fukunaga directed the 2011 version of Jane Eyre starring Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, Jamie Bell and Sally Hawkins

Mercy (based on the short story Gramma), starring Dylan McDermott, Shirley Knight & Frances O'Connor and directed by Peter Cornwell (The Haunting in Connecticut)

The 10 O'Clock People, starring Rachel Nichols, Jay Baruchel & Chris Sarandon and directed by Tom Holland (1996's Thinner)

Lisey's Story - no casting news yet. Other Stephen King "in development" titles include The Breathing Method, The Overlook Hotel (which is the name of the hotel in The Shining) and Joyland.

vCash
    Of those "It" is what I am most looking forward too. Doctor Sleep is a great sequel to The Shinning, so I hope they do the original It as much justice.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Of those "It" is what I am most looking forward too. Doctor Sleep is a great sequel to The Shinning, so I hope they do the original It as much justice.
    Anything to erase the memory of that awful, terrible, schlocky TV adaptation of It they did in the early 90s. (*shudder*)

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    TCM will be airing eight Shirley Temple films:

We'll celebrate Temple with eight back-to-back films on Sunday, March 9, starting at 4:30pm ET. Don't miss HEIDI ('37), BRIGHT EYES ('34) & THE LITTLE PRINCESS ('39), among others.
    TCM Remembers Shirley Temple 1928-2014

vCash
    Some early Joseph Gordon-Levitt viewing, similar to Ryan Gosling who also went through an early "greasy slimeball" phase: 2005's "Brick". Probably one I read about at some point that was mentioned favourably and it stuck in my head. So I snatched it off the library shelf! It also stars Lukas Haas and in a smaller role, Emilie de Ravin (Lost). Definitely a strange movie. A high school film noir. There is lots of slang in the movie, so I turned on the captions to see if I was mis-hearing things. Nope. Just a lot of stuff said which has meaning to young people at that time in that city/area. So who knows how much went over my head. It's certainly an adventurous premise, but it's not as precious as it might sound. At one point during a meeting at one person's house, there is mention about maybe when a guy's Mom gets home, she could make some snacks for everybody. Actually, made this was sarcasm delivered from that character to another, but I was thinking the filmmaker was kind of poking fun of the out-there premise of the movie. Anyway, I don't really recommend this one, but if you like any of the stars, or movies that are similar to this, then you might like it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    One of the new releases has one of the best lines I've heard recently. It's from "Girl On A Bicycle": “Italian men think ‘Fidelity’ is the name of the woman who lives across the hall.” Another release is listed at imdb, but doesn't have a youtube trailer or a page at Wikipedia. So I'm guessing it's in studio limbo: Romeo and Juliet – Romance with Orlando Bloom. This is sad, because there have been so few cinematic versions of this tale... As for the rest of the new releases, I usually try to put the "new to this thread" titles (the ones not in bold) in order of what I think we would be most interested. This was the first time that all seemed equally interesting. And all were close to going on my To See list, but none quite made it. What do you think?

February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson, Jackie Earle Haley, Jay Baruchel, Abbie Cornish, Jennifer Ehle and Marianne Jean-Baptiste
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8
    29 million views

February 14th - Endless Love - Romance with Alex Pettyfer, Gabriella Wilde, Robert Patrick, Bruce Greenwood, Rhys Wakefield and Joely Richardson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKCnHZEdqw4
    4.9 million views

February 14th - About Last Night - Romantic comedy with Kevin Hart, Regina Hall, Michael Ealy andPaula Patton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkYX74Hjb3s
    2.5 million views

February 14th - Winter's Tale - Fantasy drama with Colin Farrell, Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Will Smith, Matt Bomer, William Hurt and Eva Marie Saint
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQCN1IZpoys
    1.5 million views

February 14 Jimmy P. – Drama with Benicio Del Toro and A Martinez
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpThmmshJ-M

February 14 Adult World – Comedy with Emma Roberts, John Cusack and Cloris Leachman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtOsYUL6igc

February 14 Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaquil Le Clercq
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc8Qw8xC7lQ

February 14 Down and Dangerous – Crime thriller with new cast & Judd Nelson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkhZRt6P7bM

February 14 Girl on a Bicycle – Romantic comedy with new cast & Paddy Considine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaWoB50WU54

February 12 The New Black – Documentary. From imdb.com: “…tells the story of how the African-American community is grappling with the gay rights issue in light of the recent gay marriage movement and the fight over civil rights.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX4XiTSuuF0

February 14 Date and Switch – Comedy with Dakota Johnson, Sarah Hyland, Nick Offerman, Megan Mullally and Gary Cole
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtnOug03eL8

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    TCM will be airing eight Shirley Temple films:

TCM Remembers Shirley Temple 1928-2014
    when meeting queen victoria cures captn crewe's PTSD and paralysis, i die every time. it's ridiculous yet fabulous.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    The reviews for the Robocop remake are in and the couple I have read seems to be impressed so I will most certainly be checking it out!

vCash
    I'm going to see The Lego Movie today!

vCash
    This is a cute video, made me laugh out loud a couple of times:

Movie Title Breakup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hInTz88xM8

And this article is interesting, the two I most agree with are The Mist and (especially) Signs:

15 Great Movies Ruined By Awful Endings
    http://www.chacha.com/gallery/2943/w...rrible-endings

Pretty In Pink
    Return of the Jedi
    The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    The Philadelphia Story
    Signs

Castaway
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    Premonition (Sandra Bullock)
    X-Men: The Last Stand
    The Mist

500 Days of Summer (Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt)
    The Wicker Man (Nicolas Cage)
    The Birds
    The Apple
    Titanic

By the way, who's ever heard of the movie "The Apple"? I couldn't even find an entry for it at imdb.com!

vCash
    How in hell does Titanic have an awful ending? Did they expect the ship to not sink? Or are they only referring to the dream/death/dropped-it-in-the-ocean sequence at the very end?

Pretty much the entirety of Crystal Skull was a huge let down. The ending was just especially bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    How in hell does Titanic have an awful ending? Did they expect the ship to not sink? Or are they only referring to the dream/death/dropped-it-in-the-ocean sequence at the very end?
    Heaven forbid I should spoil the article!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I'm going to see The Lego Movie today!
    How was it? Rotten tomatoes has it as 96% fresh the audience rating is 93% liked it.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I really want to see "The Lego Movie" too; I love animation but I need to find a friend who wants to go see it too. I don't want to be like the only 40-something there without a kid watching it.

I saw "Monuments Men" and it was okay, definitely had tonal problems. Honestly it felt like it would have been better as some TV mini-series though as the characters remained rather undeveloped.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast