View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I finished Tommy after we had being talking about Ann Margret. She was great, glad she got an Oscar nomination for...this really weird movie!! Perhaps the only other good thing about Tommy was Tina Turner who was all kinds of AWESOME!!! As expected! There's some good songs of course, but a lot of music that might have made my ears bleed somewhat. Or maybe that was Oliver Reed's singing voice?? Oh...did I mention that this movie was WEIRD???
    I saw Tommy with a school group when I was about 13. Definitely weird and weirder to a group of year 7 students. I will never forget the baked beans.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I just stayed up until 2:30 in the morning to finish watching Life of Pi. Oh my goodness! Thank you FSU for convincing me that this movie was worth watching. The previews did absolutely nothing for me and only convinced me that this movie was not for me. I didn't have a clue what it was about other than a boy and a tiger was involved. This movie was just beautiful. I imagine it would have been incredible to see in the theaters. I love debating over which story to believe. I loved all the symbolism and religious/atheist arguments. If I had a friend who was into movies like this I bet we could discuss and argue about it for hours.
    I'm so glad you liked it! It was hands-down my favourite movie of last year (tho I knew it wouldn't win the Oscar).

Y'know, looking at this year's list of best picture nominees ... it kind of pales by comparison to last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I'm so glad you liked it! It was hands-down my favourite movie of last year (tho I knew it wouldn't win the Oscar).

Y'know, looking at this year's list of best picture nominees ... it kind of pales by comparison to last year.
    I agree. Last year was an excellent year for films.

I'm glad you both have such high opinions of Life of Pi. I saw it in 3D and it blew me away. Artists like Ang Lee can show that 3D can be utilized to strengthen the storytelling rather than be a gimmick. I knew it had no chance to win Best Picture, but Ang Lee's win for Best Director was very much deserved and was a huge victory in itself.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Some movie stuff I've read that I thought might be of interest:

Meryl Streep Slams Walt Disney, Celebrates Emma Thompson asa "Rabid, Man-Eating Feminist"http://<br /> http://www.vanityfair....st-speech-ever

Whoa, Meryl has a big pair!!

Meryl Streep and Harvey Weinstein Are Taking On the N.R.A.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...-weinstein-nra

Weinstein…describes it as “the new Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” …says the film will recount the way the N.R.A. used political influence to defeat a gun control bill proposed in Congress last spring, in the wake of the Aurora and Newtown massacres.
    The Fiercest Oscar Face-Offs of the Year
    http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...fs-of-the-year

Lupita Nyong'o vs. Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio vs. Matthew McConaughey, Alfonso Cuarón vs. David O. Russell and…who are Jared Leto and Cate Blanchett needing to worry about?

Celebrating the Oldest-Ever Class of Best Actress Nominess
    http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...-nominees-ever

Interesting bits about “29”, Adrien Brody and Mrs. Robinson (here’s to ya)!

vCash
    I love Meryl Streep and Emma Thompson, both on and off screen.

By the way, at least one of Walt Disney's family members agrees with Meryl about Walt: http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/01...at-uncle-walt/

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I just stayed up until 2:30 in the morning to finish watching Life of Pi. Oh my goodness! Thank you FSU for convincing me that this movie was worth watching. The previews did absolutely nothing for me and only convinced me that this movie was not for me. I didn't have a clue what it was about other than a boy and a tiger was involved. This movie was just beautiful. I imagine it would have been incredible to see in the theaters. I love debating over which story to believe. I loved all the symbolism and religious/atheist arguments. If I had a friend who was into movies like this I bet we could discuss and argue about it for hours.
    "Life of Pi" is one of the few times when I've actually preferred the movie to the book.

vCash
    I seem to recall that last year everyone was complaining that it wasn't a very strong year for films

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    Meryl Streep and Harvey Weinstein Are Taking On the N.R.A.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...-weinstein-nra
    Meryl
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    ^^^
    More power to them!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Some of my foreign language movie-watching of late:

The King and the Clown - I'm pretty sure I heard about this one in Entertainment Weekly and how it was the largest grossing Korean movie of all time. It made over 70 million in US dollars (but has since been beaten by another movie). It's about some 14th century street entertainers who are arrested for performing a play satirizing the king. In order to avoid execution, they are able to make a deal where they get to perform for the king and if they are able to make him laugh, their lives will be spared. I thought this might have been the first Korean movie I've ever seen but with a little googling I realize it's the third (after Oldboy and The Host). Oldboy is probably the best of the three, but I regard all three very highly and definition recommend The King and The Clown. It's quite a beautifully filmed movie in addition to having a good story as well. (By the way, I didn't include a trailer for this one because the ones at youtube make the movie look bad, so don't take them as an indication of the quality of this movie.)

Iron Island - This one is quite depressing. It's about a large group of people so destitute that they take to living on a deserted oil tanker in the Persian Gulf. And the ship has a small hole in it, so it is slowly sinking. Basically it's a chance for us to see a few days in the lives of these people who are living a very bleak existence. So it was a real downer for me, but I appreciate getting to have a clearer picture of the struggles of people in the world that I would never know about otherwise. The movie is quite sparse in it's storyline. Only the last twenty minutes or so had much happening of interest to me.

Le Havre - Another bleak one, I'm pretty sure I read about this in Entertainment Weekly as well. Not as bleak is Iron Island, though. This one was made in 2011, either on a cheap budget or done in the style of older movies. It had an awkward, dated look and feel to it. Maybe that was the goal concerning the subject matter. It's about an elderly man who ekes out an existence shining shoes. One day he runs into an African boy who was trying to get to England with his family by way or a cargo container on a large ship. When the police are given a tip about this cargo container, everyone is taken into custody except the boy who escapes. The older man helps him get to a relative in England. This is another movie that brings awareness to the hardships of others we share our planets with. I just need some screwball comedies or silly sci-fi action movies after all these dour, serious movies!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Tommy was a rock opera. It was revolutionary. Honestly , you kids today.....lol.
    Have a nice day!

having a nice day
    vCash
    31 days of oscar recommended:
    The Defiant Ones
    Tess
    Babette's Feast (a genuinely perfect film)
    Billy Budd
    Little Big Man (book is better)
    Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?(so cheezy lol)
    Stalag 17
    The heiress
    The infamous Baby Doll
    Tom Jones(perfect)
    A Place in the Sun(gd book but almost unreadable)
    The Umbrellas of Cherborg (unique)
    The Thomas Crown Affair (perfect)
    Heaven Knows Mr Allison
    It Happened One Night
    Cool Hand Luke (classic)
    Sounder
    The Red Shoes
    The Snake Pit
    The Adventures of Robin Hood (classic)
    Jezebel
    Lifeboat
    Shampoo (perfect)
    The Bad and The Beautiful
    How Green Was My Valley (perfect/classic)
    In the Heat of the Night (stellar Portier/Steiger)
    Bonnie and Clyde
    Captain Blood (fun)
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Movie news!

J.J. Abrams: 'Star Wars' script done, Plemons meeting confirmed
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/1...r-wars-script/

Basically the article says that the script is done, it will be shot on film and not IMAX (which means 3D, right?) and the only actor mentioned that's been talked to so far is Jesse Plemons of Breaking Bad fame.

Miles Teller offered role of Dan Aykroyd in John Belushi biopic
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/1...elushi-biopic/

Emile Hirsch has been cast as Belushi and Dan Akroyd is an executive producer. I can't quite see these two in these roles, though...

Sundance 2014: Joe Manganiello bares all about his male stripper doc 'La Bare' -- VIDEO
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/1...are-interview/

After starring in Magic Mike, Mananiello wondered about the real world lives of male strippers and now we have this movie, which is the True Blood actor’s directorial debut.

SAG Awards 2014: Relive the best moments in two minutes -- VIDEO
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/01/19/sa...moments-video/

Featuring Julia Louis-Dreyfus channelling her Veep character, Matthew McConaughey talking about traveling to Neptune and then Cate Blanchett making fun of Matty's speech.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Wow. Who woulda thought that 5' 2" Kevin Hart would kick 6' Chris Pine's butt? That's what happened this weekend at the box office. Ride Alone took the #1 spot with a $15,485 per theatre average at over 2,600 theatres, taking in over 41 million dollars. Chris Pine couldn't even manage a #2 debut with Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, tailing behing Lone Survivor and the Nut Job which debuted at #3. The Jack Ryan movie took in 17 million in the number four spot, with a budget of 60 million, let's hope it does well overseas. I hope Chris Pine is locked into all the upcoming Star Trek movies! The Nut Job took in 20 million, half of it's budget. Animated movies recently have had a lot of staying power. With DVD sales as well, it should be a money-maker. Ride Along only had a 25 million budget, so in three days it's already made a profit...in just three days. Y'all gonna be hear next year for Ride Along II?

The only other debut this past weekend was The Devil's Due which took in 9 million in the number seven spot. The budget was only 11 million, so it's almost in the black. Five movies took a bump in revenue due to awards season momentum: American Hustle, Dallas Buyer's Club, Gravity, 12 Years A Slave and with the biggest bump (+1,341%), Captain Phillips.

vCash
    I finally saw Gravity (3D). It was long overdue. Fantastic shots from space. Sandra Bullock & George Clooney, the only actors in it were very good.

Lately I have been seeing some pretty heavy stuff (saw 'Dallas Buyers Club on Fri.). To lighten up, I watched 'Oliver' on DVD. I love the songs but it got a bit boring with all the singing and dancing. Still, it was a nice break.

vCash
    "As Long As He Needs Me" is probably the prettiest, most revolting song in history.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I just watched an interesting documentary titled "Beautiful Darling" about Andy Warhol muse Candy Darling. I find the entire Warhol Factory just fascinating and this is the 2nd documentary I have seen focusing on one of his muses. The interesting thing about Darling is that she was a transexual and a drop-dead gorgeous one at that. It is on Netflix streaming if anyone has any interest in the subject.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    "As Long As He Needs Me" is probably the prettiest, most revolting song in history.
    IKWYM ... but I wouldn't call it revolting. I'd call it heartbreaking and tragic -- and a depiction of a mentality that, sadly, many still hold today. Not often do you get that kind of social and psychological awareness in a musical number. (And Shani Wallis completely nailed it on both a musical and an emotional level.)

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I just started watching a movie and saw this trailer: Terror's Advocate (L'avocat de la terreur), 2007

It looks like an interesting movie, but I'm not sure I could handle it. Maybe after I've watched a lot of lighter movies then I could tack this one. The description from imdb.com:

An examination of the career of Jacques Vergès (1925- ), attorney for members of Algeria's FLN, Palestine's FPLP, the Khmer Rouge, Carlos and associates, Klaus Barbie, and other revolutionaries and outcasts. Archival footage, news articles, and photographs mix with contemporary interviews of Vergès, friends, associates, and historians. Connections with Nazis are explored, as well as Vergès's marriage to Djamila Bouhared, his courtroom methods, his disappearance from 1970 to 1978, and the roots of his radicalism. Throughout, Vergès remains playful and charming, with a soupçon of arrogance. The film suggests Vergès's anti-colonial nature is at his center.
    Has anyone seen it? If so, I definitely would like to hear your thoughts about it.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Just finished watched The Act of Killing. It is a documentary up for an Academy Award this year. I could not stop watching it. The ending is one of the most powerful moments in film. I can't imagine anything having much more of an impact. Heartbreaking, revelatory, anger-inducing...this film is amazing. I haven't seen the other Oscar nominees for Best Documentary but I have a very hard time imagining another others having this kind of impact.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I liked 'Gravity' but it didn't really reach the depth of my mind. I just thought-

Spoiler

Did anyone interpret the end like this?

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast