View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

vCash
    I should have known better than to click on the Spoiler. In the process I discovered something surprising. If you do the 'Reply with Quote', the Spoiler does not remain hidden.

vCash
    Joaquin Phoenix wanted for Batman vs Superman film
    http://www.tribute.ca/news/index.php...ilm/2013/12/19

I'll spoil my response to something in the above article in case there are some ubers out there who don't even want to know about rumours...

Spoiler

Sandra Bullock: Julia Roberts and I Share Custody of George Clooney
    http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/mov...143537990.html

To me, Sandra proves that she is funny all on her own and any comedy she was in that was not funny was the fault of the director!! Also, is there anyone else out there who would love to see Bullock and Roberts do a comedy together?

Jennifer Lawrence Should Make A Comedy: Here Are Seven Pitches
    http://www.vanityfair.com/online/osc...-make-a-comedy

I like the figure skating-themed idea! But Lawrence would be good in anything. I agree completely that she should be doing comedies, too!

'Jaws,' 'Alien' & More Adorably Recreated by a Family and Their Baby
    http://cardboardboxoffice.com/

This is is probably just for those who want to look at any photos that have babies in them. But the Alien one is pretty cute!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I just got back from seeing The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I loooooooooved it! Saw it with my sister, she originally wanted to see American Hustle, but I needed something lighter in tone and this one did the trick. Very cool to see two actors mainly known for comedy (Stiller and Kristen Wiig) in a movie that was more drama than comedy. There was very little comedy actually and that was just fine because the script was excellent and the performances were completely enjoyable. During the end credits I was surprised to see that Stiller directed this. I think I was aware that he had directed some episodes of his old TV show, other than that...umm...I dunno. Hello, imdb.com! Stiller directed Reality Bites (1994), The Cable Guy (1996), Zoolander (2001), Tropic Thunder (2008) and now this one. So that's five big directing jobs under his belt. I didn't realize he's one of our top directors! Another plus for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is the cinematography. Mitty goes to a number of beautiful locations and cinematographer Stuart Dryburgh captures their beauty spectacularly. I said to my sister at the end of the movie, do you now have a burning desire to go to

Spoiler

. She said yes. That makes two of us.

Lots of awards shows on TV over the next two weeks:

Sunday January 12th, 5pm to 8pm (repeats 8pm to 11pm) on NBC: The 71st Annual Golden Globe Awards
    Golden Globes website
    Golden Globes nominees

Thursday January 15th, 8 to 10pm on CW: The 19th Annual Critics Choice Movie Awards
    The Critics Choice website
    Critics Choice nominations list

Sunday January 19th, 8 to 10pm on TNT and TBS (Global in Canada): 20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards
    SAG Awards nominees
    Last edited by PeterG; 01-10-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I am really looking forward to the awards shows. I like the Critics awards because they have so many categories.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I just got back from seeing The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I loooooooooved it!
    I was going to pass on this one, but have changed my mind. It has gotten so/so reviews, but my friend really liked it too.

I retired from team skating this year and finally have Sundays free. Been watching a ton of American football and now I get to see the awards shows in real time as well. Wheeeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i really enjoyed inside llewyn davis fwiw. it might be my favorite movie of the year so far, at least top 3. oh and oscar isaac is my new movie husband, step off
    I hope to see it tomorrow in Boston before Pairs & Dance finals. Thanks. I already have too many movie husbands, but would you be willing to share?

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    I saw Walter Mitty last night and I also loved it! I often agree with the tomatometer on rottentomatoes.com but this time I think the critics missed the mark. You won't enjoy this movie if you go into it looking for things to criticize or even being open to criticizing. You need to turn that part of your brain off and just enjoy the movie. I left with a big smile on my face and a desire to visit Peter's spoiler.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    75 Songs Qualify For The Best Original Song Oscar, Except For The Actual Best One
    http://www.vanityfair.com/online/osc...ctual-best-one

Full List: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...list-75-666073

It seems strange to me that I don't know any of the songs on this list except this one by Fergie:

A Little Party Never Killed Nobody (All We Got) The Great Gatsby
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phmz9uRG4E8

I'm wondering if I heard this at the gym? I don't know if it got much radio airplay. It certainly makes me wanna move though! I wonder if the Oscar guidelines for best song are so strict that there were a lot of good movie songs this year, but they were eliminated from being on this list because of Oscar rules...

vCash
    I want Lana Del Rey to win. That is one of my favourite songs of last year.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    "Let It Go" from Frozen is undoubtedly going to win. I mean, nothing is for certain, but I would be beyond shocked if anything else did (and I think it absolutely should - I didn't like the movie but that sequence and song are absolutely stunning). I did like "Young And Beautiful" a lot, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    I saw Walter Mitty last night and I also loved it! I often agree with the tomatometer on rottentomatoes.com but this time I think the critics missed the mark. You won't enjoy this movie if you go into it looking for things to criticize or even being open to criticizing. You need to turn that part of your brain off and just enjoy the movie. I left with a big smile on my face and a desire to visit Peter's spoiler.
    I was not planning on seeing this movie but after reading these favorable posts I have changed my mind.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I watched two documentaries recently that are examples of non-impartial works. Strange how documentaries have changed from presenting an issue for people to think about to a promotional tool for someone to get a particular message across. The first movie is Waiting For Armageddon (2009). I supposed this movie is about "Krazy Christians" but it just made me feel uncomfortable that no sound-of-mind Christians seemed to be involved. But I suppose if the focus of the movie is about the end of the world, you're going to want to include those with the most extreme points of view. The movie just made me feel uncomfortable rather than more aware or informed.

The other is Root OF All Evil?, a two-art British series made by Richard Dawkins who is quite a famous atheist. I couldn't find a trailer for it, but the entire thing is on youtube. This one is both amazing and extremely irksome at the same time. Dawkins is a smart man who has many important things to say. But he does it in such a pompous, unfuriating way. One part of the movie has him interview a pre-gay sex scandal Ted Haggard and I found myself thinking Haggard was the more clear-headed and just person on the screen. Haggard says something alone the lines of Dawkins being egotistical or pompous and I found myself cheering on Haggard! Weird................!

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I don't get why Daniel Brühl gets mentioned for Supporting Actor awards/nominations when he has the starring role in Rush? Hemsworth was pushed forward for the advertising, since he's the "big name", but everything I know about filmmaking tells me that Niki Lauda is the main character.
    That's happened often in movies when the studio feels it has better chances for a win for their movie in a specific category. A recent example of that was for Brokeback Mountain where Heather Ledger was put forward for lead actor and Jake Gyllenhaal was put forward for supporting actor.

Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    Here's an article about some of the most popular movies of 2013 according to movie lovers:

The 50 Best Movies of 2013 (Determined by IMDb Users)
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/the...zergnet_123251
    I'm not sure the ones below will survive the test of time.

38. Fast & Furious 6 - 7.2/10
    40. Pacific Rim - 7.1/10
    43. Escape Plan - 7.1/10

And probably a few more as well!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    "Let It Go" from Frozen is undoubtedly going to win. I mean, nothing is for certain, but I would be beyond shocked if anything else did (and I think it absolutely should - I didn't like the movie but that sequence and song are absolutely stunning). I did like "Young And Beautiful" a lot, though.
    I agree. "Let it Go" also fits the spirit of this category in that it's not only trying to pick the best song as a song in itself but how it fit the film. "Let it Go" was an essential part of Frozen's plot and character development.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I had no idea until just now that the movie Philomena was actually inspired by a true story and there really is a Philomena who lost her lost her son and went in search of him.

WARNING: the link below has spoilers!
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/fa...f=fashion&_r=0

vCash
    I finally had the funds and time to see American Hustle last night, and I was not disappointed. It was excellent, and holy crap, Jennifer Lawrence. Pretty much every character is totally unlikeable but every time she was onscreen it was like this sudden breath of hilarious, boozy fresh air She completely owned that role, and it was so utterly different from everything else she's done! Amy Adams looked incredible in the 70s get-ups, as did Jen, but the boys mostly looked ridiculous. I don't know who decided on Renner's hair but that was a terrible decision. The acting was phenomenal overall, of course, from this cast, and Bradley Cooper once again impressed the hell out of me. I can see why he and Jennifer are getting the majority of the attention, but Adams deserves a lot of credit as well. Admittedly, the Actress categories are a lot more full than the Supporting Actress categories this year so I can see why she's not, but it's a shame.

I can see why a lot of people didn't like it - it drags in spots and as I said, nearly everyone is wholly unlikeable - but it's worth seeing just for Jennifer, if you like her, and for a couple of other priceless scenes, mostly involving hair.

vCash
    I am planning to watch the GG awards tonight, even though I have seen only 20% of the nominated movies, and I rarely watch sitcoms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I can see why a lot of people didn't like it - it drags in spots and as I said, nearly everyone is wholly unlikeable - but it's worth seeing just for Jennifer, if you like her, and for a couple of other priceless scenes, mostly involving hair.
    I had a very different opinion. It doesn't bother me at all that there were no likeable characters. I just thought the characters were ridiculous caricatures. (That's also the only reason I can think of for why this movie has been categorized as a comedy. I didn't think the hair scenes were epic scenes either.) I also wasn't particularly impressed with Bradley Cooper. That might have been the writer's fault, though, because it seemed like he had too many words at times. The sudden weird hard-to predict or follow twist at the end didn't work very well, IMO.

But, I generally don't get the David O. Russell love. I thought that Silver Linings Playbook was overrated too. I didn't have high expectations going to American Hustle, but I still was a bit disappointed. I didn't think the movie was horrible, but I didn't think it was great, either, and there definitely are other movies I've seen lately that I enjoyed more.

Obviously, though, people who love Jennifer Lawrence should see the movie.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Lone Survivor went into wide release this past weekend and took the #1 spot on the box office chart. It made almost 38 million and took in a very big $13,161 per theatre average. Compared that to The Legend of Hercules, which debuted at #4 this weekend with just under nine million and only $4,087 per theatre. Lone Survivor had an almost unheard of +44,504% change in revenue thanks to going from two theatres to 2,876. The Hercules movie was the only debut of the week, the #4 starting point was the least of it's troubles, as the budget was 70 million and a 9 million debut will be hurting real bad for the studio. To add insult to injury, the movie has a 3.9 rating at imdb.com.

The other big change in revenue is August: Osage County, jumping from #31 to #7 with a +5,128% change. Two $$$ milestones this weekend: American Hustle passed the 100 million mark and Frozen passes the 300 million mark. Ka-Ching!

I haven't watched all the trailers yet for the coming weekend, I'll finish them up tomorrow and post them then.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The other big change in revenue is August: Osage County, jumping from #31 to #7 with a +5,128% change.
    I'm assuming that's because this was the first weekend of wide release -- it was only in limited markets before that.

vCash
    I watched Chinatown this weekend. Couldn't remember if I had seen it when I was a kid, so thought I'd check it out. It has CLASSIC imprinted on my brain, so my expectations were high. Much too high as it turns out. It's a good movie, for sure, but I thought it was kind of subdued (and definitely a downer). I checked imdb.com and see this it got eleven Oscar nominations. So I guess I'm alone in my thoughts on this one. I thought the script was adequate but not brilliant...and that's the one Oscar Chinatown won for! (Robert Town as screenwriter.) And the overall look of the movie was so yellow-ish, giving me a dismal feeling. I suppose for the subject matter of the movie, that was completely appropriate. It just made it a tough movie to watch, both in terms of subject and appearance.

The Oscar nominations come out Thursday, I think. Below is an article about the category of foreign language films. I have to admit that I only really know about three of them. The Hunt (which I definitely want to see), Blue Is The Warmest Colour (which isn't much on my radar) and The Rocket which PeterG provided a trailer for last week (and looks good). I'm rooting for The Hunt to get a nomination and the win. How about you?

Foreign Film Oscar Shortlist: Where Are the Best Foreign Films of 2013?
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/for...films-of-2013/

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    The Oscar nominations come out Thursday, I think. Below is an article about the category of foreign language films. I have to admit that I only really know about three of them. The Hunt (which I definitely want to see), Blue Is The Warmest Colour (which isn't much on my radar) and The Rocket which PeterG provided a trailer for last week (and looks good). I'm rooting for The Hunt to get a nomination and the win. How about you?

Foreign Film Oscar Shortlist: Where Are the Best Foreign Films of 2013?
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/for...films-of-2013/
    I'm rooting for "anything other than Blue Is the Warmest Colour." It was terribly over-rated / over-hyped IMO, going for sensational shock-value over real character or story development. Meh.

The Hunt was awesome: incredible writing and acting, super-intense ... and very difficult to watch. So it gets my vote too. But the only other one on the shortlist that I've seen was Omar -- which had its moments, but wasn't all that great, IMO. Too preachy, and too black-and-white on the anything but issue of Palestine.

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast