View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Take a guess on how much the lowest-grossing movie of 2013 took in at the box office. Guess again. (Lower...lower...!)

Meet the Lowest-Grossest Movie of 2013 (This article's title has the wrong year, the movie came out in January 2013 in the U.S.)

What's interesting about this movie is that includes actors from movies like Star Trek: Into Darkness and Captain America (as well as the uber-handsome Colin O'Donoghue from TV's Once Upon A Time).

The second worst-grossing movie of 2013 - taking in just

Spoiler

dollars stars an Emmy nominee, an Oscar winner and an actor who has been nominated for an Emmy, two Golden Globes and a Screen Actor's Guild award...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    ITA on everything you wrote. I too enjoyed the movie, but I would have liked to see less of the flashbacks and more of the 'present'.
    Especially more of the "creative process" scenes. Those were the best parts for me -- especially since there's no dramatic tension re: the "big reveal," or whether or not the movie gets made. With Dick Van Dyke and animated penguins.

vCash
    PeterG - have you seen "Inside Llewyn Davis"? I did a search in the thread but came up empty.

I've been going to the cinema quite a bit since the weather/daylight has changed. If memory serves I've seen:

Gravity (twice)
    Captain Phillips
    12 Years a Slave (twice)
    Thor 2
    Out of the Furnace
    American Hustle
    Wolf of Wall Street
    The Great Beauty
    Blue is the Warmest Colour

I enjoyed all of them. Thor and Beauty were not great and probably the only ones from my list that I probably wouldn't pay to see again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity View Post
    PeterG - have you seen "Inside Llewyn Davis"? I did a search in the thread but came up empty.

I've been going to the cinema quite a bit since the weather/daylight has changed. If memory serves I've seen:

Gravity (twice)
    Captain Phillips
    12 Years a Slave (twice)
    Thor 2
    Out of the Furnace
    American Hustle
    Wolf of Wall Street
    The Great Beauty
    Blue is the Warmest Colour

I enjoyed all of them. Thor and Beauty were not great and probably the only ones from my list that I probably wouldn't pay to see again.
    I was wondering about Out of the Furnace- whether to see it. Did you like it?

I have already missed the first 3 on your list because they didn't last very long here. Now I have to wait until they come to the cheap movie theatre and it will be very crowded there.

I am still planning on see Wolf though; it is still running.

vCash
    I found this first article both interesting and shocking. Just the sheer numbers of people considered for certain roles, plus actors who turned down parts for various reasons including $$$! Who would have guessed Sandra Bullock was so far down the list for her part in Gravity?

Mindhole Blowers: The Actors Who Almost Starred in Twenty of the Biggest Films of 2013
    http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_rand...zergnet_124521

News about the next Fast and Furious movie, which I think they had already shot most of. Guess they just want to wait a good long time to let the loss of Paul Walker pass from people's minds:

Universal Pushes Back 'Fast & Furious 7' Release Date to April of 2015
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/uni...april-of-2015/

And Ellen will host the Oscars this year. Not a lot of info in this article, but there's a kind of cool trailer in it. I love Ellen, so I can't wait to see what she does with this hosting gig.

Ellen DeGeneres Dances Down the Street in First 86th Oscars
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/ell...scars-trailer/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    I found this first article both interesting and shocking. Just the sheer numbers of people considered for certain roles, plus actors who turned down parts for various reasons including $$$! Who would have guessed Sandra Bullock was so far down the list for her part in Gravity?

Mindhole Blowers: The Actors Who Almost Starred in Twenty of the Biggest Films of 2013
    http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_rand...zergnet_124521

This looks very interesting. Unfortunately I cannot read it at work. Must wait until tonight to find out which actresses turned down Sandra B.'s part in Gravity. Now she may even win the Oscar for that role.

vCash
    Sandra Bullock was certainly an inspired choice for Gravity, but some of the women listed are even more "out there". I mean Blake Lively? It would have been interesting to see how Angelina Jolie would have played the character (as the actress who originally signed on). I think the movie went through a few directorial changes as well before Alfonso Cuaron got the job.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I was wondering about Out of the Furnace- whether to see it. Did you like it?
    g.
    I saw it and really enjoyed it. Acting by Bale and Haarelson were great n worth the price of admission. I am a little confused by the ending, but still enjoyed the movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I saw Bullhead recently after someone here recommended it. I mentioned that I really liked Matthias Schoenaerts in Rust and Bone and I agree that Bullhead is even better. (I do recommend Rust and Bone completely as well.) Bullhead has such an amazing script. And the cast and direction are brilliant. It's a sad and dark movie, but so powerful. I loved it.
    You watched it, yay!

Another very good movie I watched recently is Nymphomaniac : Part 1. Loved its philosophical tone. Charlotte Gainsbourg gives a decent performance, and Stacy Martin isn't afraid of anything. Two things I didn't like about it: the fact that it was a censored version (though you still have some graphic scenes), and Shia LaBeouf (I just don't like that actor). Yet, another great piece of work from Lars Von Trier (but I still prefer Melancholia, an absolute masterpiece IMO, and of course Dancer in the Dark). Has anyone watched his Riget/The Kingdom series? I have the DVDs but never took time to watch those. The trailer certainly makes it look but I was told it was quite good.

Also saw Frozen, which I found average for a Disney movie. At least, got to listen to Idina Menzel's "Let it Go" in a theater

And saw some serious crap with my lil bro who's 10: Walking with Dinosaurs, and Space Pirate Captain Harlock , very poor.

vCash
    The Worst Reviewed Highest Grossing Movies Of All-Time
    http://www.slashfilm.com/the-worst-r...e-of-all-time/

I liked The Day After Tomorrow. And Bruce Almighty. And the Pirates movies................

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Sandra Bullock was certainly an inspired choice for Gravity, but some of the women listed are even more "out there". I mean Blake Lively? It would have been interesting to see how Angelina Jolie would have played the character (as the actress who originally signed on). I think the movie went through a few directorial changes as well before Alfonso Cuaron got the job.
    I like Jolie so I would've love to have seen her in Gravity; However, I think she would have been too thin/frail-looking physically to play an astronaut believably. I don't think Jolie has ever changed her body physically for a role, so I'm not sure if she would've been willing to hit the gym and tone up for the role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I like Jolie so I would've love to have seen her in Gravity; However, I think she would have been too thin/frail-looking physically to play an astronaut believably. I don't think Jolie has ever changed her body physically for a role, so I'm not sure if she would've been willing to hit the gym and tone up for the role.
    I saw Tomb Raider once as a teenager and she seemed to be more toned than usual, if I remember correctly. However, she was also younger then. I never saw Wanted or Salt. How was her physique in those films?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I thought Jolie looked a bit too thin to be believable in some of the action and fight sequences in Salt. She was definitely committed to the role, but still, you had to suspend reality to believe that she kicked the asses of Russian baddies twice her size. I haven't seen Wanted.

vCash
    She was thin in Wanted, too. But she was gorgeous and toned for Tomb Raider. That was before she became quite so frail-looking.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    This weekend I saw a movie that I looooooooooooved!!! Phoebe In Wonderland stars Elle Fanning, Patricia Clarkson, Felicity Huffman, Bill Pullman and Campbell Scott. It is a wondrous piece of work. Elle Fanning was about eight years old when they filmed this movie (which came out in 2008). Amazing acting from anybody, let along someone so young. And Patricia Clarkson is glorious in her role, what an incredible woman she plays. I won't say much about the plot, you can check the trailer out to get an idea about the movie. But if you like intimate, intelligent dramas, you should love this one.

P.S. Just checked on the director and writer of this movie. It's the same person, Daniel Barnz. He did double-duty on 2011's under-rated "Beastly" and the same for 2012's "Won't Back Down" which I haven't seen yet, but have on hold at the library. I think I now have a new favourite writer/director.

Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Don't know if either of these have been posted, and apologies if they have been, but two links. First, a preview of movies to look forward to this year, from moviefone.com. (Sorry PeterG, I know you normally post the trailers and such...but I got excited. )
    Not a problem at all, I love anybody posting anything of interest they come across. I was posting movie news for a while, but nobody seemed to respond to those posts, so I stopped doing it. But with this thread, people are posting a variety of stuff and I'm happy to see the movie thread getting a lot more interest. The more posts the better, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Integrity View Post
    PeterG - have you seen "Inside Llewyn Davis"?
    I haven't...I rarely see anything in the theatre. I'd go more often, but I don't like going alone and don't have anyone close to me interested in going to the theatre regularly. When I do go, it's with some friends who live in the city and we tend to go see "big-screen" movies, ones that are very visual. Inside Llewyn Davis will be one I really enjoy on DVD. Oscar Isaac was on Jon Stewart's The Daily Show the other night and said that he's been into music since high school. So he loved this project for many reasons. Stewart said something alone the lines of, "there's a moment where everyone sees an actor in a certain role and it's like we never really saw him before, but now we can't miss him...I think this is that movie for you". (I'm paraphrasing in case that doesn't sound as complimentary as it was meant to be!!)

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i really enjoyed inside llewyn davis fwiw. it might be my favorite movie of the year so far, at least top 3. oh and oscar isaac is my new movie husband, step off
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I read in that article that Natalie Portman turned down that role. She is even thinner than Jolie, so apparently the movie makers were not concerned about the weight. Besides she would be in the space suit throughout, right? I have not seen the movie, but that's what I am assuming.

vCash
    My sister went and saw Frozen last night, and I got a text message afterwards that was all in capital letters and proclaiming that it was better than Tangled, which is a pretty big statement coming from the biggest Tangled fan of all time. I'm going to see it on Saturday.

vCash
    I read in that article that Natalie Portman turned down that role. She is even thinner than Jolie, so apparently the movie makers were not concerned about the weight. Besides she would be in the space suit throughout, right?
    You would think so, right? But Hollywood has an unspoken rule: when you have an attractive female lead, it's mandatory that you throw In a couple of questionable cheesecake scenes for the male audience. Sandra has some scenes where she's in nothing more then a very form fitting boy short short and T, even in space, LOL. I mean why aren't there any scene of Clooney in short short and tight T?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I mean why aren't there any scene of Clooney in short short and tight T?

Spoiler

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast