View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i liked gravity when i saw it. but the more time that goes by since i saw it, the less i like it. it's not staying with me. same with the tom hanks vs the pirates movie, the name escapes me.
    Captain Phillips?

I can't wait to see the Wolf of Wall Street. Starts here in a couple of weeks.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I just finished watching To Have And Have Not. Wow. I loved it from the very start. And I think this is one I took off my To See list at some point. Wonderful movie!! I loved Walter Brennan as Eddie. Happy to see he won three Academy Awards (all for supporting roles, Come and Get It, Kentucky and The Westerner). And such a wonderful script. My thought was, "here is a writer who truly likes women". But then as I thought about it, that should be, "here is a writer who really likes PEOPLE". All the roles are so well-written. And to think this movie was based on the book of Ernest Hemmingway's that director Howard Hawks thought was "a bunch of junk" (something Hawks even said to Hemmingway). William Faulkner co-wrote the script and according to Wikipedia, was “out of print and broke”. Lauren Bacall is stunning in every possible way in this movie. Can't believe she was only 19 during filming! Another Wikipedia tidbit:

Bacall's part was greatly extended to take advantage of the Bogart-Bacall chemistry, especially in the legendary "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow" (a quote which sits at #34 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes list) scene.
    One last Wikipedia mention. I was shocked to see that To Have And Have Not was the 22nd biggest movie of 1944. Seriously? It didn't even make the top ten?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

INTJ
    vCash
    I took my mom to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty yesterday. What a lovely, beautiful movie. Ben Stiller did a fantastic job melding fantasy and reality. I really enjoyed it
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I can't wait to see the Wolf of Wall Street. Starts here in a couple of weeks.
    Well get ready for some f-bombs, because The Wolf Of Wall Street broke the record with 506 uses of the word!

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/0...f-bomb-record/
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    "Seven psychopaths" sucked. I found it unwatchable. All that talent can't make up for a sorry script.
    Taking a satirical/humorous approach to the genre probably wasn't the way to go (it's a risky approach that often leads to silly twists and unoriginal use of slapstick), but at least Sam Rockwell looked like he was enjoying himself throughout and Christopher Walken was able to miraculously infuse some level of humanity in his tragic "hero".

vCash
    I saw an amazing movie last night called Trade, starring Kevin Kline. It's about sex slavery and focusses on a Mexican brother and sister who get caught up in a specific dealing and what the brother must go through to save his sister. It is expceptionally well done and had me riveted to my screen. Highly recommended. Oh, and keep you eye open for a 70's/80's sitcom star in a small role.

I usually like these kinds of articles...

The Top 10 Breakthrough Actors Of 2013
    http://www.vanityfair.com/online/osc...gh-actors-2013

But I only recognized two of the ten discussed here. Does this mean I'm getting old?? How many of these breakout performers are you aware of?

vCash
    I recognized Adele, Olivia Munn, Tatiana Maslany, and Lupita. No one else. I'm surprised Munn is on the list, though, she's been on the radar a lot longer than just this year (I agree that she's by far the best part of The Newsroom though.)

vCash
    I have no clue who any of those people are.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So after 45 days in release, Frozen returns to the top of the box office chart. How's that for staying power? It took in almost 20 million, just edging out Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, which took in almost 19 million. Pretty good numbers as Wikipedia says the budget for The Marked Ones is only 5 million. Speaking of staying power, this is another win for the Paranormal Activity series. I know I want to see it! Paranormal Activity was the top debut...the next highest debut was the Geoffrey Rush/Jim Sturgess crime drama, The Best Offer...debuting at #60 and taking in $2,595. It played at only one theatre. This makes me wonder if it was in someone's contract that the movie had to have a theatrical release. So the company put it into one movie theatre to fulfill their duty and then in three months it will be out on DVD. Not a highlight in Sturgess' career... Lone Survivor has the best per theatre average: $42,429, but it's only playing in two theatres. Next week it gets it's wide release. Lastly, two movies cross some $$$ milestones, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues has made over 100 million (in just 19 days) and Hunger Games: Catching Fire has taken in over 400 million in just 45 days.

This week's new releases are below. The two that will go on my list are the two that have no one famous in them. Black Coffee has a trailer that is WAY better than I expected. It is both very smart and touching at the same time. And the Rocket looks very impactful. I'll probably add Divorce Corp to my To See list as well. And Dumbbells is not as stoopid as I expected. But it doesn't look good enough to go on my list.

January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdhyaP0T7g
    8 million views

January 10 - Black Coffee – Romantic comedy, new cast.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7doXr3x81HE

January 10 - The Rocket – Drama, new cast. From imdb.com: “A boy who is believed to bring bad luck to everyone around him leads his family and two new friends through Laos to find a new home.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byE542mNjp8

January 10 - The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box – Family adventure with Michael Sheen, Sam Neill and Ioan Gruffudd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW8pxkUpXIU

January 10 - Divorce Corp - Documentary. From imdb.com: “More money flows through the family courts, and into the hands of courthouse insiders, than in all other court systems in America combined - over $50 billion a year and growing.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZTOT6DKfZ8

January 10 - Cold Comes the Night – Crime thriller with Alice Eve and Bryan Cranston
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80C3yttlDjU

January 10 - The Truth About Emanuel – Thriller with Jessica Biel and Alfred Molina
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjigSSi-lt0

January 10 - Dumbbells – Comedy with Jaleel White, Jay Mohr, Tom Arnold, Carl Reiner and Fabio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnIbZlyjEb8

January 10 - Banshee Chapter – Horror thriller, new cast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhrYDiaSo_s

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Gravity would have a much higher rating. When it was first released it had great great ratings and then people began swarming IMDB and rating it a 1 to bring the rating down to something they felt was more fair. Those ratings are such a joke.
    Same thing happened to The Dark Knight back in 2008, which actually reached #1 in the Top 250 of movies ever until people started voting 1s and voting Godfather and Shawshank Redemption 10s. It was actually pretty funny.

All in all, I think it evens out due to sheer number of people voting. The Top 250 is actually a pretty good list, even if the exact order can be inaccurate due to what you said.

vCash
    None of the Jan 10 releases interest me. That should allow me ample time to see the movies I have not yet seen.

vCash
    I saw "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" at the library and since there's been talk of Cary Grant in the movies threads, I thought I'd check it out. I found Mr. Blandings (the movie) to be somewhat bland. The cast (which also includes Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas) was great and the movie was really well directed, but I didn't find the story all that interesting. It's watchable for the cast who give it their all, but I'm sure there are many better Cary Grant movies out there.

I've only seen one of these:

Looking Back: Joey Picks His 20 Favorite Scenes from the Films of 2013
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/loo...films-of-2013/

Gravity is the one on the list that I saw, there's many scenes in that which could have been on this list. I saw the scene from Spring Breakers on youtube but didn't think it was that memorable. And I love that song!

vCash
    I am surprised they didn't pick the Christian Bale hair scene from American Hustle.

I agree about the dinner table scene in August: Osage County. It was a classic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    I saw "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" at the library and since there's been talk of Cary Grant in the movies threads, I thought I'd check it out. I found Mr. Blandings (the movie) to be somewhat bland. The cast (which also includes Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas) was great and the movie was really well directed, but I didn't find the story all that interesting. It's watchable for the cast who give it their all, but I'm sure there are many better Cary Grant movies out there.
    Awww - I love this movie, and I'll watch it just for Myrna Loy, especially when she tries to tell the painters just what color yellow she wants.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I saw Bullhead recently after someone here recommended it. I mentioned that I really liked Matthias Schoenaerts in Rust and Bone and I agree that Bullhead is even better. (I do recommend Rust and Bone completely as well.) Bullhead has such an amazing script. And the cast and direction are brilliant. It's a sad and dark movie, but so powerful. I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I agree about Henry Cavill He could've been a little bit taller for the character though, but that's nitpicking. The man's perfect
    6 feet one is tall enough for me!!

January 1 - The Railway Man – Biographical drama with Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth, Jeremy Irvine and Stellan Skarsgård
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrkKXoEJbM
    140,000 views [/spoiler]
    I got a private message that they are promoting the heck out of this movie in the U.K. Wonder if it will get a big release on this side of the pond at some time or if the studio thinks it will do well over there, but not in North America...

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    It's hard to remember why you wanted what when you get to the library 15 minutes before closing and they keep flashing the lights to get you to HURRY UP AND LEAVE!!! so rude...
    Ah yes, the old days when one would gently be nudged on the shoulder to have a librarian explain that the doors were locked an hour ago at closing time. We live in a much rougher world now!

vCash
    The Railway Man is currently released in Australia. Might go and see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I have no clue who any of those people are.
    Miles Teller was fab in Te Spectscular Now w Shailene Woodley, a teen story, but well done

vCash
    I know who all those people are. I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed

ITA with smurfy that Miles Teller was fantastic in The Spectacular Now

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I went to see Saving Mr Banks last night. I enjoyed it very much, although I thought it had a certain Disney feel to it: that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it felt just a little too polished in places. But well acted throughout, and highly entertaining. And my friend and I also agreed that we now want to see Mary Poppins again!

I had no idea beforehand that Paul Giamatti was in it, so that was a pleasant surprise. As was Bradley Whitford -- and it took me a minute to recognize him, he was so different. And if I hadn't known ahead of time it was Colin Farrell, I wouldn't have recognized him either.

My only serious criticism was that I thought the flashback scenes took up too much of the film. They were very well done, and essential, but they could have been trimmed and still made the same point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I went to see Saving Mr Banks last night. I enjoyed it very much, although I thought it had a certain Disney feel to it: that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it felt just a little too polished in places. But well acted throughout, and highly entertaining. And my friend and I also agreed that we now want to see Mary Poppins again!

I had no idea beforehand that Paul Giamatti was in it, so that was a pleasant surprise. As was Bradley Whitford -- and it took me a minute to recognize him, he was so different. And if I hadn't known ahead of time it was Colin Farrell, I wouldn't have recognized him either.

My only serious criticism was that I thought the flashback scenes took up too much of the film. They were very well done, and essential, but they could have been trimmed and still made the same point.
    ITA on everything you wrote. I too enjoyed the movie, but I would have liked to see less of the flashbacks and more of the 'present'. I am now considering renting the Mary Poppins DVD. I don't remember that movie at all.

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast