View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    I second Immoimeme's recommendation for jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring. Great movies, especially the first one, so heartbreaking. I saw these when they first came out, and have been really impressed wtih Daniel Auteuil over the years.

Recently I finally saw 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' - loved it, cried, Logan Lerman was great, nice coming of age story.
    And I will admit, I saw for the first time 'Harold and Kumar go to White Castle'. I was amused and LOL a bunch of times. Cho and Penn were great. Stupid and fun!

vCash
    I've got my ticket to see The Desolation of Smaug! December 11 0:02 AM here I come!

having a nice day
    vCash
    EYS to "Harald and Kumar." Any of them. They're all dirty stupid hilarious good fun.

Side nite: I had no idea when I watched them that Neil Patrick Harris was a real person. I thought he was a crazy character but apparently he is-a real-life one!! I just luv him :-)
    Have a nice day!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Speaking of old people who rock: Philomena (opening today in full release) is definitely on my list too.

Dame Judi Dench, who is losing her eyesight from macular degeneration but isn't letting that stop her, is the very definition of a rockin' old person!

vCash
    I picked only 3 from the list. I would also pick Philomena.

BTW just got back from watching The Hunger Games- Catching fire. Definitely a thriller. Will there be a third HG movie?

vCash
    With that ending, most definitely There are three books so I'm assuming a third movie.

vCash
    Some action/drama-ishy types of movies I've seen of late:

Takers with Matt Dillon, Hayden Christensen, Chris Brown and a lot of other famous people I can't remember right now. This is one I grabbed off the shelf at the library, so not one I was expecting much from. But I thought it was decent. Moved at a pretty good pace and as much as I (really) dislike Chris Brown as a person, he held his own amongst some pretty good actors and even did a parkour type action scene quite well. I was going to make a joke here, but think it might have been in bad taste, so I've saved you all from that!!

Flight with Denzel Washington. So did he deserve his Oscar nomination? Hmm...tough for me to be commital on this as I have always enjoyed his movies. He's just so watchable. But I'll say yes. Unless I looked up wikipedia to see who might have gotten a nod in place of him. But I'm not going to. It seems like this movie should have been a disappointment with such an exciting beginning, but I enjoyed it throughout the whole thing. Thumbs up.

Jack Reacher with Tom Cruise. So much kerfuffle about the casting of Cruise in this role. But he's like Denzel to me, pretty much infallible when it comes to movie-making. I wonder if their greatest success is always surrounding themselves with the best in the business so that they can never fail.

The Double with Richard Gere and that guy from That 70's Show...not Ashton...his name is right there... Oh yeah, Topher Grace!! Yay me!! This one was good, but not fantastic. Did the quality of Gere's movies slide, or did the public give up on him? Was he too political about social issues like Susan Sarandon? It's weird that he's seemingly a footnote in the world of movies. But he's always watchable, and I don't mean just in a kind of way, hee hee!

vCash
    There will be two more Hunger Games movies. They're splitting the final book into two parts.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So last time we reviewed a year in movies, we viewed like it was 1999. This week we're going to celebrate my birth year. So was there a big splash in '63 other than my birth? Elizabeth Taylor thinks (thought) so! On June 12th, Cleopatra opened and for the Wikipedia entry for film events of 1963, Cleopatra takes about 60% or more of the space to talk about what happened that year. It's quite an interesting blurb and is probably too big to quote here. But you should check it out!

The top grossing movies of 1963:

1 – Cleopatra - Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Rex Harrison, Roddy McDowell, Martin Landau - $57,777,778

2 - How the West Was Won - James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Carroll Baker, Gregory Peck, Debbie Reynolds, Robert Preston, Karl Malden, George Peppard, Agnes Moorehead, Lee J. Cobb, John Wayne, Richard Widmark, Walter Brennan, Harry Morgan - $46,500,000

3 - It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney, Jonathan Winters, Ethel Merman, Buddy Hackett, Sid Caesar, Milton Bearle, Phil Silvers, Peter Falk, Jimmy
    Durante - $46,332,858

4 - Tom Jones - Albert Finney, Susannah York - $37,600,000

5 - Irma la Douce - Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine - $25,246,588

6 - The Sword in the Stone - $22,182,353

7 - Son of Flubber - Fred MacMurray - $22,129,412

8 - The Birds - Tippi Hedren, Rod Taylor, Jessica Tandy, Veronica Cartwright, Suzanne Pleshette - $18,500,900

9 - Dr. No - Sean Connery, Ursula Andress, Jack Lord - $16,067,035

10 - The V.I.P.s - Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Louis Jourdan, Maggie Smith, Orson Welles, Rod Taylor, Margaret Rutherford - $15,000,000

11 - McLintock! - John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Patrick Wayne, Yvonne De Carlo, Stefanie Powers - $14,500,000

12 - Charade - Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Walter Matthau, James Coburn, George Kennedy - $13,474,588

13 - Bye Bye Birdie - Janet Leigh, Dick Van Dyke, Ann-Margret - $13,129,412

14 - Move Over, Darling Doris - Day, James Garner, Don Knotts, Polly Bergen, Thelma Ritter, Chuck Connors - $12,705,882

15 - Come Blow Your Horn - Frank Sinatra, Lee J. Cobb - $12,000,000

16 - The Thrill of It All - Doris Day, James Garner, Arlene Francis - $11,779,093

17 - The Great Escape - Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough, Charles Bronson, Donald Pleasance, James Coburn, David McCallum - $11,744,471

18 - The Cardinal - Tom Tryon, Romy Schneider, Carol Lynley, Dorothy Gish - $11,170,588

19 - Hud - Paul Newman, Patricia Neal, Melvyn Douglas - $10,000,000

20 - 55 Days at Peking - Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner, David Niven - $10,000,000

21 - Captain Newman, M.D. - Gregory Peck, Tony Curtis, Angie Dickinson, Robert Duvall, Eddie Albert, Bobby Darin - $8,500,000

22 - Love with the Proper Stranger - Natalie Wood, Steve McQueen, Edie Adams, Tom Bosley - $7,200,000

23 - 8½ - Marcello Mastroianni, Claudia Cardinale - $7,000,000

24 - Donovan's Reef - John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Jack Warden, Caesar Romero - $6,600,000

25 - Lilies of the Field - Sidney Poitier, Lilia Skala - $6,000,000

26 - Promises! Promises! - Jayne Mansfield - $3,775,000

Academy Award winners:

Best Picture: Tom Jones

Best Director: Tony Richardson - Tom Jones

Best Actor: Sidney Poitier - Lilies of the Field

Best Actress: Patricia Neal - Hud

Best Supporting Actor: Melvyn Douglas - Hud

Best Supporting Actress: Margaret Rutherford - The V.I.P.s

Best Foreign Language Film: 8½ (Otto e mezzo), directed by Federico Fellini, Italy

Other award winners for 1963 listed at Wikipedia entry for: Golden Globe Awards, Palme d'Or (Cannes Film Festival), Golden Lion (Venice Film Festival) and Golden Bear (Berlin Film Festival).

Other movies of note for 1963:

The Courtship of Eddie's Father, directed by Vincente Minnelli, starring Glenn Ford, Shirley Jones, Stella Stevens, Dina Merrill, Ron Howard
    Critic's Choice, starring Bob Hope and Lucille Ball
    Follow the Boys, starring Connie Francis, Paula Prentiss, Dany Robin, Janis Paige
    Fun in Acapulco, starring Elvis Presley and Ursula Andress
    Gidget Goes to Rome, starring Cindy Carol
    The Haunting, directed by Robert Wise, starring Julie Harris - (U.K.)
    I Could Go On Singing, starring Judy Garland and Dirk Bogarde
    It Happened at the World's Fair, starring Elvis Presley
    Jason and the Argonauts, starring Todd Armstrong - (U.K./U.S.A.)
    Lord of the Flies, directed by Peter Brook - (U.K.)
    The Nutty Professor, directed by and starring Jerry Lewis, with Stella Stevens
    The Ugly American, starring Marlon Brando
    Uncle Vanya, starring Michael Redgrave, Laurence Olivier, Joan Plowright - (U.K.)
    Wives and Lovers, starring Janet Leigh

Famous film people born in 1963:

January 14 — Steven Soderbergh, director
    March 18 — Vanessa Williams, actress, singer and former beauty queen
    March 27 — Quentin Tarantino, director
    March 30 — David Thewlis, English actor
    June 9 — Johnny Depp, US actor
    June 10 — Jeanne Tripplehorn, US actress
    June 15 — Helen Hunt, US actress and director
    July 30 — Lisa Kudrow, US actress
    August 14 — Emmanuelle Béart, French actress
    October 6 — Elisabeth Shue, US actress
    November 5 — Tatum O'Neal, US actress
    December 15 — Helen Slater, US actress
    December 18 — Brad Pitt, actor

Film debuts:

Alan Alda - Gone are the Days!
    Mel Brooks - The Critic
    James Caan - Irma la Douce
    Héctor Elizondo - The Fat Black Pussycat
    Kurt Russell - It Happened at the World's Fair
    Lynn Redgrave - Tom Jones
    Donald Sutherland - The World Ten Times Over
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    1963 movies I have seen: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Birds, Charade, The Great Escape

I remember seeing It's A Mad....World as a kid and thinking something like, "all these old people sure are having a lot of fun!" The Birds is one I probably saw as a teenager and should watch again at some point. The last two I saw in the last year or two and recommend both, but Charade much more than The Great Escape.

Movies I might have seen when I was younger, but I’m not sure… Cleopatra , Tom Jones, Irma la Douce, Move Over, Darling, Hud, Lilies of the Field, The Haunting, Lord of the Flies

I'm pretty sure I watched The Haunting with my sisters as a young person. I might not remember it that well because it might have been too scary for a kid under ten!

Movies I have not seen, but should: How the West Was Won, Bye Bye Birdie

I saw Ann-Margaret in State Fair recently and she was amazing, so I should probably check out more of hers. Any other Ann-Margaret fans reading this and have any recommendations?

And since these were the people born the same year as me, this is the order I would have invited people to my birthday parties: Vanessa Williams, Lisa Kudrow, Johnny Depp, Tatum O’Neal, Brad Pitt, Helen Hunt and Steven Soderbergh. But that Quentin kid is a freakin’ loudmouth and I do NOT want him at my party!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    There will be two more Hunger Games movies. They're splitting the final book into two parts.
    I am surprised. There isn't enough material to make two movies out of Mockingjay. What are they going to call the two movies?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    They don't care if there is enough material. They see $$$$$. Two separate movies mean twice the money to be made.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    They don't care if there is enough material. They see $$$$$. Two separate movies mean twice the money to be made.
    Like the Hobbit Trilogy- should have been just one movie

having a nice day
    vCash
    "Tom Jones" "Hud" and "8 1/2" are the best from 1963 imo.
    I remember getting dragged to "it's a mad....world" as a kid. I thought it would never end!!
    "The Haunting" was on tv when I had the mumps. I was not suppose to be watching tv but I did lol. Scared the hell out of me. For yearrrrrs I never ever let my hand dangle out over the side of the bed. Now the movie is laughable esp after reading the book. THAT is v scary.
    In college I did a fantastic analysis of "the nutty professor" but danged if I can recall a word of it now. All I can tell you is it's worth watching because there is more to it than what's on the surface.
    Have a nice day!

having a nice day
    vCash
    "Dr No" is worth watching/enduring because the shot where Ursala Andress emerges from the sea is A Genuine Iconic Moment. Too bad the rest of the film is so lame I comparison to that.

Ann Margret -"kitten with a whip" and "tommy" and "carnal knowledge" are my recommendations. But that film "viva las vegas" with Elvis is not bad esp the dancing parts. She can dance, goodness me !can she dance!!!!
    Have a nice day!

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I saw Hud a few years ago and thought it beautifully observed and extremely well acted. I haven't seen many of the others. Cleopatra was dreadful, and panned by the critics, while I found Irma la Douce much too sentimental for my taste. Someone, can't remember who, when asked if he'd seen 8 ½, replied, "I left at 2 ¾."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am surprised. There isn't enough material to make two movies out of Mockingjay. What are they going to call the two movies?
    I thought the second book should have been split it two, if you needed to split any of them. The third? Not so much

Afterlife
    vCash
    I love McLintock, it's a family favourite. We can literally stand around and quote 80% of the movie. Charade is a favourite of mine too. But that is largely because I have never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie I didn't enjoy. I haven't seen all of them though so who knows what can happen in the future. Reading that list of movies though I realised I really haven't seen that many movies from 1963. I know Hud has been on my list for a while but I either haven't found it yet or when I'm someplace that I would be likely to find it, like on the internet, which is often, I forget to look for it.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Also in '63: Doctor Who airs for the first time.

vCash
    Given that I think Catching Fire the movie was actually better than CF the book, my hopes for Mockingjay as 2 movies have increased somewhat. There could be material for two movies, if they flesh out all the stuff that happened when Katniss was passed out I guess we'll see. So far they haven't let us down at all.

I wonder about the name, too. I mean, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part II sounds just horrifically awful.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast