View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 47.54%
  • December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 26.23%
  • December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 22.95%
  • December 25th - August: Osage County

20 32.79%
  • December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 4.92%
  • December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 39.34%
  • December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 27.87%
  • January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 6.56%
  • January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 14.75%
  • February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 11.48%
  • February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 24.59%
  • February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Any Roy Dupuis fans here? Anyone know who Roy Dupuis is?? He's probably best known for starring in the TV series Nikita (not the current one, the one in the 90's). I just saw him in a movie called Seraphin: Heart of Stone. It was good, but it was as depressing as it was good. Dupuis looks very handsome in this movie, but what an ugly story. It takes place in rural Quebec in the late 1800's. A young couple are in love, the man leaves to make money and while he is away, his love must marry the local miserly dastard in order to keep her family from going bankrupt. It's more serious than that, actually. This is more of a tragedy than a drama, so make sure you don't check this one out if you're feeling at all down in the dumps!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I've wanted to see Being Elmo ever since it came out. Of course I had to wait until the controversy over Kevin Clash and the accusations of sexual impropriety were all in the news. Still, it was a good documentary even though some parts of his life story were out of order and there are gigantic gaps in the overall story. I enjoyed it even though I had to keep stopping it to go google things that came up during the movie. Like right now. I googled Clash as well as The Muppet Show and this movie, but didn't imdb Kevin Clash to see what he's up to now. According to Wikipedia, all charges against him have been dropped. Nothing is mentioned what he is doing career-wise currently. Maybe he has lots of money and is doing nothing. Anyway, I'm off to imdb to see what I can find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I liked 'Gravity' but it didn't really reach the depth of my mind. I just thought-

Spoiler

Did anyone interpret the end like this?
    After the movie was over, [spoiler]my friend said something about how NASA or whichever organization was responsible for her work/voyage would have a tracking device in anything their people could travel in, so they would know where she landed and a search team would be immediately sent out to locate her and bring her home.[spoiler]

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I liked her in Weeds but Weeds wasn't the type of show to allow an actor to shine. It was a GREAT show and I highly recommend it from the first season to the last, however.
    Thanks. I watched one episode of that on Netflix when I was house-sitting. I plan to get the DVD's from the library, so I'll be looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I've never been a fan of Jane Fonda's acting. I really tried. I watched They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Coming Home, Klute, Julia, Agnes of God. etc. and I always found her acting to be so over-the-top, screechy, and she over uses her hands to the point where they're so distracting. I did, however, liked her in Walk on the Wild Side with Laurence Harvey, Barbara Stanwyck, Capucine, and Anne Baxter. I think that was due to Capucine being so wooden and stilted as an actress that Jane Fonda's over-the-top acting brought some much-needed energy into the movie.
    Fonda to me is like most movie stars, they play a version of themselves in somebody else's situation. Meryl Streep is one of the rare actors who I see as somebody totally different from herself in the movies she is in (I'd say Mamma Mia was a rare instance of Meryl playing a version of herself). That said, I just enjoy what's there on screen. So, my favourite Fonda performances:

1. On Golden Pond (she broke my heart with the scene where she returns from Europe and walks into the lake to share what's in her heart with her father)
    2. Georgia Rule
    3. 9 to 5
    4. Monster-In-Law
    5. The China Syndrome

Some of her other movies I haven't seen in so long that I can't compare them to these movies to figure out where they'd fit in on this list.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Saw 12 Years a Slave. Wow what a powerful movie. Makes you wonder how people can treat each other like that but they did.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I saw the Oscar-nominated shorts (a/k/cartoons) yesterday. Loved Get a Horse! from Disney, Mr. Hublot from Luxembourg/France and Possessions, the Japanese entry. Friend I went with disagreed with me; she didn't like Possessions at all. I look at the shorts from an entertainment point of view, while she is more interested in the animation itself. We both disliked Feral, another USA entry, but we thought the United Kingdom's Room on the Broom was charming. They also showed three also-rans. Of these, A La Francaise from France is the best. Ireland's Missing Scarf is awful - boring, flat, totally snooze-inducing, and the USA's The Blue Umbrella is too twee for words.

This is the only Oscar category in which I have seen all the entries, and I'm curious to see which one gets the win. I'd give it to Get a Horse!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Saw 12 Years a Slave. Wow what a powerful movie. Makes you wonder how people can treat each other like that but they did.
    Absolutely! I was in awe as I watched it. I'm pretty sure it will take home Best Picture. Also, what a brilliant performance by Chiwetel Ejiofor.

vCash
    Video Recap - 37 Years of 'Best Visual Effects' Oscar Winners
    http://mightymega.com/2014/02/01/37-...oscar-winners/

Wow. I love this clip! Some of the stuff doesn't look as good as what is being done in movies today...but was wonderful for it's time. And even if it looks dated, the feelings it brings up in me is what makes it special.

Academy Advocacy: The 10 Best 2013 Films Oscar Forgot to Nominate
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/aca...t-to-nominate/

The ten are:

Labor Day, Mud, Frances Ha, Stories We Tell, Don Jon, Short Term 12, Blue Is The Warmest Color, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Spectacular Now and The Place Beyond the Pines.

Guy Ritchie & Warner Bros Developing Six-Film King Arthur Franchise
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/guy...hur-franchise/

Hmm...is it just me smelling FLOP?? A six-pack film series. When was the last time there was a successful movie in this genre? I know Game of Thrones is huge, but that's free. Plus is Guy Ritchie someone with a successful enough background to warrant this kind of trust. Sounds like a major gamble to me.

M. Night Shyamalan & Bruce Willis Reteaming for 'Labor of Love' Film
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/m-n...-of-love-film/

Labor of Love is one of the first scripts Shyamalan ever sold, so this might be like his old (big) hits rather than his recent stuff.

vCash
    I watched 'Frances Ha' - 90 minutes episode of the HBO show 'Girls'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I watched 'Frances Ha' - 90 minutes episode of the HBO show 'Girls'
    Except, IMO, much better, with way more depth, humanity, and characters that don't always have a witty response to everything. I came in expecting to be annoyed by it and expecting a 90 minutes episode of Girls, but what I got was one of the best movies I saw this year. Much better than a few of the Oscar nominees I saw.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman (1967-2014)

Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his apartment in New York City on Sunday, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing a law-enforcement official.
    He was younger than me. He attended New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, graduating with a B.F.A. degree in Drama in 1989.

From Wikipedia:

Hoffman's first role was as a defendant in the 1991 Law & Order episode "The Violence of Summer". He made his film breakthrough in 1992 when he appeared in four feature films, with the most successful film being Scent of a Woman, in which he played an unscrupulous classmate of Chris O'Donnell's character. He had been stocking shelves at a city grocery store at the time before landing the role and credits the film with starting his career.
    He won an Oscar for Capote (2006) and was nominated three more times: Charlie Wilson's War (2007), Doubt (2008) and The Master (2012). He was nominated five times for a Golden Globe, winning once for Capote. He was nominated for an Emmy in 2005 for Empire Falls. He was nominated five times for a BAFTA (Britain's equivalent to the Oscar) and won for Capote. He was nominated for a Tony three times: True West (2000), Long Day's Journey Into Night (2003) and Death of a Salesman (2012).

Other movie roles include The Talented Mr. Ripley, Mission: Impossible III, Moneyball, Almost Famous, Cold Mountain, Magnolia, Patch Adams, Along Came Polly, Punch-Drunk Love, A Late Quartet and Boogie Nights.

His 2014 movies roles are the drama God's Pocket (January 18th), the thriller A Most Wanted Man (no release date) and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (November 21st).

He leaves behind a partner and three children (Wikipedia):

Hoffman is in a relationship with costume designer Mimi O'Donnell. They met while working on the 1999 play In Arabia We'd All Be Kings, which Hoffman directed. They have a son, Cooper Alexander, born in March 2003, and two daughters, Tallulah, born in November 2006,[16] and Willa, born in October 2008.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I've been reading about Hoffman at imdb.com and found these things which I thought were worth posting:

* He had the flu the entire time he appeared in Almost Famous (2000).

* With the exception of There Will Be Blood (2007), he appears in all of Paul Thomas Anderson's films.

* Has appeared in three films with Julianne Moore: Boogie Nights (1997), The Big Lebowski (1998), and Magnolia (1999). They each then went on to appear in separate film in the Hannibal Lecter series. Moore played Clarice Starling in Hannibal (2001), and Hoffman played Freddie Lounds in Red Dragon (2002).

* In his sophomore year of high school, he suffered an injury that prevented him from playing multiple sports.

* When asked who his acting idols were, he named Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Newman, Meryl Streep and Christopher Walken.

* Upon accepting his Oscar for Capote (2005), Hoffman asked everyone to congratulate his mother, because "She brought up four kids alone, and she deserves a congratulations for that.".

Personal quotes:

Sometimes I'm working on a film and someone will ask me if I'm having fun. And I'm tempted to tell them the truth: No, absolutely not. Having no fun here at all. You know what's going to be fun? When it's done, and I've done a ****in' good job, and I know people are getting something out of that. I'll have a lot of fun then. A ton of it.
    Acting is so difficult for me that, unless the work is of a certain stature in my mind, unless I reach the expectations I have of myself, I'm unhappy. Then it's a miserable existence. I'm putting a piece of myself out there. If it doesn't do anything, I feel so ashamed. I'm afraid I'll be the kind of actor who thought he would make a difference and didn't. Right now, though, I feel like I made a little bit of difference.
    (On quitting drinking at age 22) I think I would have drank myself to death, literally, if I didn't just stop, once and for all when I did. I am not ever going to preach to anyone about drugs or drinking. But, for me, when they were around, I had no self control.
    A lot of people describe me as chubby, which seems so easy, so first-choice. Or stocky. Fair-skinned. Tow-headed. There are so many other choices. How about dense? I mean, I'm a thick kind of guy. But I'm never described in attractive ways. I'm waiting for somebody to say I'm at least cute. But nobody has.

vCash
    What a tragic loss.
    RIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Except, IMO, much better, with way more depth, humanity, and characters that don't always have a witty response to everything. I came in expecting to be annoyed by it and expecting a 90 minutes episode of Girls, but what I got was one of the best movies I saw this year. Much better than a few of the Oscar nominees I saw.
    I, too, loved Frances Ha. One of the best movies I saw last year.

Saw 2 movies this week-end:
    Minuscule, which was ok but quite boring.

And 12 Years a Slave, which actually left me rather unmoved. Of course, an incredible story, some tough scenes, some beautiful images, and...Fassbender + Cumberbatch, could have given a great movie. But I don't know, I just didn't get into it. Same for Shame two years ago. But I could also watch Fassbender in any crap movie

vCash
    Saw 'Wolf of Wallstreet' today- a bit too much for me. I have come to the conclusion that I really don't like Martin Scorcese's heavy handed approach. Just too much sex, too much nudity and must they have the 'f' word in every sentence? I can handle those kind of words to some extent, but this was really too much. I thought Leo was great in the title role, but it's just not my type of movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    And 12 Years a Slave, which actually left me rather unmoved. Of course, an incredible story, some tough scenes, some beautiful images, and...Fassbender + Cumberbatch, could have given a great movie. But I don't know, I just didn't get into it. Same for Shame two years ago. But I could also watch Fassbender in any crap movie
    This was exactly how I felt. Remarkable acting, but despite all the horrible, tough scenes I walked away feeling surprisingly unmoved.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Super bowl schmoper bowl-I watched "dirty dancing." THANK YOU PATRICK SWAZYE!!!! omfg thank you forever!!! Whee!:-)
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Such sad news about Phillip Seymour Hoffman!! Thanks for the posts about him PeterG, it was nice to read more about him, but those quotes are pretty heartbreaking.

I saw a movie yesterday which there is no way in hell Hoffman would have starred in. It's one where you quickly realize you're going to have to let go of basic reasoning and just go with the flow. It's called Columbus Circle, I had never heard of it but liked the cover when I saw it at the library and the description sounded like it could be fun. And it was, but I'm not shocked it didn't get any Academy Award nominations. It's all about an apartment-bound young lady (Selma Blair) whose elderly next door neighbour passes away. Blair wants to buy her condo so that she can have more privacy. Instead a young couple (Jason Lee and Amy Smart) move in. They're a troubled couple and their troubles begin to invade the privacy of the uber-reclusive Blair. Beau Bridges is also in this as is Robert Guilliame, but his part is tiny. If you're in the mood for a trashy thriller, I recommend this one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've been reading about Hoffman at imdb.com and found these things which I thought were worth posting:

* He had the flu the entire time he appeared in Almost Famous (2000).

* With the exception of There Will Be Blood (2007), he appears in all of Paul Thomas Anderson's films.

* Has appeared in three films with Julianne Moore: Boogie Nights (1997), The Big Lebowski (1998), and Magnolia (1999). They each then went on to appear in separate film in the Hannibal Lecter series. Moore played Clarice Starling in Hannibal (2001), and Hoffman played Freddie Lounds in Red Dragon (2002).

* In his sophomore year of high school, he suffered an injury that prevented him from playing multiple sports.

* When asked who his acting idols were, he named Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Newman, Meryl Streep and Christopher Walken.

* Upon accepting his Oscar for Capote (2005), Hoffman asked everyone to congratulate his mother, because "She brought up four kids alone, and she deserves a congratulations for that.".

Personal quotes:

Hoffman and Moore are also in Mockingjay I & II. They played Plutarch Heavensbee and President Coin respectively. I had read earlier that the shooting of both films was finished last year (IIRC march 2013). So I assume they will not have to replace his character (Plutarch) with another actor. He will be sorely missed when Mockingjay I is released in November even though we will see him on the screen.

I am wondering if acting/getting very deep into these complex characters may have taken its toll on him (I think a similar thing may have happened to Heath Ledger a few years ago) and driven him to drugs again to escape?
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-04-2014 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

vCash
    Very sad news about Hoffman. I don't really follow celebrity's personal lives except by accident, so I had no idea about the drug issues and it comes as quite a shock to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Hoffman and Moore are also in Mockingjay I & II. They played Plutarch Heavensby and President Coin respectively.
    Interesting choice of Moore as President Coin. I had always pictured the Glenn Close in the role for some reason so this will be very different. Moore is an excellent actress so I am sure she will do a good job but it may not line up with how I had imagined the role.

On other movie topics, I saw The Wolf of Wall Street over the weekend. I think that this is the first Scorcese movie I've seen aside from The Age of Innocence, which I realize is somewhat crazy. Anyway, I would categorize it as good but too long. Lots of funny moments, in particular with Jonah Hill's character, so I'd recommend it overall...but I do have a hard time sitting in a theater for that long, so I think it would be a better one to watch at home.

vCash
    I watched Nymphomaniac : Volume 2. Much more unnerving than the 1st part, but Master Lars Von Trier did it again, a brilliant piece of work. Brilliantly written.

vCash
    Maximilian Schell has passed away at 83
    http://variety.com/2014/film/news/au...83-1201081439/

He won an Oscar for 'Judgment at Nuremberg' and was nominated for two other Oscars, The Man In The Glass Booth (1975) and Julia (1977).

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast