View Poll Results: Who will get third at US Nationals?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • H/D

23 34.85%
  • C/B

37 56.06%
  • Other

6 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Third US dance slot

There's a lot of talk about the third ladies spot because of how unpredictable it may be. However, in the dance side of things, there is a battle for the third slot as well. Unlike the ladies, the third dance team is sure to be competitive and make a good showing at the Olympics as well. To me it seems as a battle between Chock/ Bates and Hubbell/ Donohue... So who will it be?

vCash
    My brain says Chock/Bates since they seem to have more potential to score higher. If they ever figure out how to fix their SD scores, then they will be on the team for sure. However, I prefer Hubbell/Donahue.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    When Shibutanis passed Chock/Bates. Shibutani's not very ahead of both teams. Hubbell and Donohue getting more PCS then S/S for example.

vCash
    The Shibutanis should be the number two team. They are the most solid in terms of TES in both the SD and FD.

Thus far this season,

The Shibs's total scores are 157.58 (NHK) and 154.47 (Skate America).

Chock/Bates's total scores are 153.37 (Rostelecom Cup) and 150.53 (Cup of China).

Hubbell/Donohue's total scores are 153.20 (Skate Canada) and 152.98 (Skate America).

However, those totals aren't in anyway showing that any team is a safe bet for the other two U.S. spots. They all have to make sure their TES is on-point come Nationals.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 11-23-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Their GP scores are really close. From a numbers standpoint, it's literally a toss up. I picked H/D because they've been on an upswing this season. Their performances have been really good and they have a great FD. C/B just don't seem to have it together at this point. I think it will mostly depend on what the USFSA wants to do. They'll probably choose C/B, but I think it would make more sense to give H/D the opportunity as I see them having a brighter future.

vCash
    I think it will be the Shibs. Sad, because I'd like them to be #2, but I think H/D might take #2. Maybe it is personal bias, but I see C/B in 4th.

vCash
    Just posted the updated GP scores in the US Ice Dance thread in GSD so the numbers are fresh in my mind.

The judges really like C/B's FD. They have the highest FD scores, both in total and in the TES and PCS. Their problem has been in the SD, highest PCS but they aren't getting the levels and so have the lowest TES of the 3 teams (but to be fair they also had the hardest judging panels especially at CR).

If you look at the average scores of the 3 teams, it seems like they are pretty close to one another : (Total score (SD + FD)
    Shibs 156.025 (62.175 +93.85)
    H/D 153.09 (60.815 + 92.275)
    C/B 151.95 (57.285 + 94.665)

I want the Olympic team to be D/W, H/D and the Shibs. But I think it will be #2 C/B and #3 Shibs.

For H/D to make the team they have to up their TES, especially in the FD and raise their PCS in the SD. If they can do that they improve their odds. I think they have the best programs of the 3 teams, but they need to execute them perfectly.

vCash
    If Chock and Bates skate the way they did today, I can't imagine them not making it. I also think the Shibs would have to make a fairly serious error or even two to be left out. I think they are all three equally deserving, though.

vCash
    It's a shame because all three are equally deserving at this point My personal team would be D/W, Shibs, and H/D because they tend to be cleaner and more consistent than C/B. I really do love C/B though so I'm going to be upset at Nationals no matter what!

vCash
    I think that unfortunately, USFSA has dumped Shibs and the teams will be D/W, C/B, and H/D. I would dump C/B but that is my bias. I don't think she is as good as Bates, and I don't particularly like their skating skills.

vCash
    I am really hoping it'll be H/D. I don't necessarily believe in sending a team because they might be perceived as "the future of US ice dance" and such, but I truly feel H/D will be the future of US ice dance. A trip to the Olympics without any pressure could be hugely rewarding for them, especially as they are still in development.

I'm sure they are using the time from SC until Nationals to up their TES and PCS for both programs - but of course, that can be said for everyone. Still, I hope to see H/D in Sochi!

vCash
    My picks would be H/D and the Shibutanis. I think these two teams are superior to C/B. I don't really know what to expect during Nationals. Zach and Madi have been exceeding my expectations all year long. I can only hope that continues in Boston. The Shibutanis' programs are not outstanding, in my view, but their skating has greater quality, in my view, against what C/B offers. Like someone else said, I think H/D embodies the most exciting prospect for what the future of Ice Dance could be. I would love to have them compete in Sochi.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Its definitely a battle for 2nd and 3rd places. Chock & Bates were second last year after the Shibs previously so there's no presumptive #2.

I think all three teams have great strengths--and different strengths.

The Shibs have great skating skills and are so precise. But I think their FD this year doesn't suit them well. I hope that doesn't hold them back, they've done okay with it on the GP.

Chock & Bates are elegant and light in their skating which I just love. But if they are going to beat the other two teams at Nationals they are going to have to skate their SD better. They are doing great with the FD but haven't scored so well with the SD, I'm not sure why.

Hubbell & Donahue skate large and with power and I'm really looking forward to seeing them live at Nats because I know they will really fill up the rink. And their FD in particular really suits them.

I think its going to come down to how each skates at Nationals. Its a shame someone will be left behind, but its great to have three such good teams behind Davis & White.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    To be honest I think Hubbel & Donohue will be 2nd, and one of Chock & Bates or the Shibutanis will be left out. I agree H&D are the future of U.S dancing. I don't see either of those other two ever being much better than they are now.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    It's highly presumptive of this thread to assume that the #2 spot is locked up, and that only the #3 spot is up for grabs. As other posters have already stated, the difference among H/D, the Shibs, and C/B is very slight at this point, and both the #2 and #3 spots will be up for grabs at Nationals depending upon how each team skates there.

vCash
    I wish H/D would get a spot as I've fallen in love with them, but I don't think they will.

I hope but don't expect.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Hasn't Madison Hubbell been recovering from an injury?

I think H/D have done remarkably well in international competition this year. To be that close in scores to C/B, who were 7th at Worlds last year and to be scoring over 10 points higher than they did at Worlds in 2012 and improving their scores over last season's GPs with the harder Finnstep this year is pretty remarkable.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'm in two minds over this. I've really warmed to the Shibs in the last two years. I've loved H/D for the past two seasons. But I adore Chock but not Bates. She is an amazing skater but I think he lacks something.

vCash
    Shibs have managed to kill 2 birds w/ one stone: Finding FD music that 1) fits their personalities; 2) is appropriate and still exciting for a brother - sister team. I predict they will be US #2. The battle for #3 could not be any closer. I'm pulling for H/D. I like their improvements but C/B are also becoming more watchable. I don't even think the USFSA has a favorite as of today - I think it will come down to whatever happens on the ice at Nationals. A good thing.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    As long as Hubbell/Donohue make the Olympic/Worlds team....I'll be happy. They have the best programs out of H/D, S/S and C/B. Especially their FD.

Hoping US Nat's results are 1.D/W 2.H/D 3.S/S

But don't take my comments as disliking any teams....I like "all" the US teams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast