View Poll Results: Which crusty warhorse will prevail?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • SwArms Lake--If you can't point your toes, flail.

1 1.96%
  • Carmen. You know, in a black and red costume...

9 17.65%
  • A slightly less ear-splitting George Gershwin number.

6 11.76%
  • Memoirs of a Geisha. A tribute to Japanese culture?

3 5.88%
  • Something Puccinni. Italian is always nice.

4 7.84%
  • Soemthing Kwan used. If that feeling starts beginning, take an ant-acid.

11 21.57%
  • Other Generic Movie Soundtrack. Music tinkly enough to make you pee.

8 15.69%
  • An "edgy" Muzak version of a classic rock tune.

1 1.96%
  • Something else (DO explain.)

8 15.69%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8hrd View Post
    Thanks for the link IceAlisa. I just listened to it and I can hardly wait to see Gracie's new SP to this music choreographed by Lori. It's going to be awesome!!!
    Well, our celebrations turned out to be premature. The beginning of the first movement would have been perfect but unfortunately, the softer, more lyrical part of the second movement is being used.

Reports from her first outing of it are meh. Too bad, this music has such potential for Gracie's style of skating.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Well, our celebrations turned out to be premature. The beginning of the first movement would have been perfect but unfortunately, the softer, more lyrical part of the second movement is being used.

Reports from her first outing of it are meh. Too bad, this music has such potential for Gracie's style of skating.
    I'll wait to see it, but leave it to Lori to pick out the least best part of this great piece of music.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8hrd View Post
    Thanks for the link IceAlisa. I just listened to it and I can hardly wait to see Gracie's new SP to this music choreographed by Lori. It's going to be awesome!!!
    marysy uploaded this video from the show (thanks again marysy!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idjEkR-Bs8

It's okay for a first run I guess. I didn't have a problem with Gracie's original SP. I just hope this one still pulls in the marks she was getting during the GP.

moving right along
    vCash
    I, for one, lurrrrrrrve this music. Gracie looks exquisite, very powerful and elegant. It is a great vehicle for her to show us what she can do. Bravo Team Gracie!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    marysy uploaded this video from the show (thanks again marysy!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idjEkR-Bs8

It's okay for a first run I guess. I didn't have a problem with Gracie's original SP. I just hope this one still pulls in the marks she was getting during the GP.
    Wow, I am changing my mind for the second time. I LOVE THIS!!! This is, by far and away, the best program I've ever seen Gracie skate to. Windmilling was kept to a minimum and her arms and carriage were quite beautiful most of the time! That's a huge, monster improvement over a short period of time. My hat's off to Frank Carroll! Finally, she is looking like a top tier senior lady who can do more than (occasionally) land jumps. This is gorgeous. I knew we would see improvement once she went to Carroll but I didn't think we would see it so soon.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    This new one is much more elegant and proper vehicle for Olympics. Love Lori. Also it's surely a Carroll program

vCash
    Not sure how I feel about this yet (the opening part works, but the steps and the rearrangement of the elements...not sure). It's fine really, but I just object on principle to her being put into this "soft, delicate/elegant" box that all US ladies skaters must live in, apparently.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    You know how I was against Gracie skating to a lyrical program, literally just a few posts ago. But here she demonstrates that she can skate a program like that as well as any "pretty princess," with the term used without the pejorative meaning. Beautiful. Coulda knocked me down with a feather.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    WOW this program is unbelievably beautiful and Olympic-worthy. I am an Ashley Wagner fan and usually think Gracie is meh, but this is an AMAZING program. If Lori makes more programs like this for Gracie she'll have won me over as a fan in no time. Maybe Ashley can start to use Lori Nichol too? ahahah

BRAVO Gracie Gold, Frank Carroll, and Lori Nichol.

vCash
    I absolutely adore Grieg's Piano Concerto, so I'm ok with this choice. Good luck, Gracie!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Really enjoyed the new short program! Gracie has shown improvement already and I love the music so much.

vCash
    I liked that much better than the Gershwin program. I look forward to seeing that again at Nationals.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I love Gracie's new SP. It is Olympic caliber. She has so many lovely moments in the program. If she hits it in competition it will score really well. I know some people have said the program is not Gracie. But I think this is the type of skater she wants to be. She looks like she loves the program.

Is there time to get a new LP?
    Last edited by Flying Camel; 12-13-2013 at 08:40 AM.

vCash
    One of my favorite pieces of music of all time.

Freakin' Liashenko had a great program to it, as did Ryan Jahnke. Miki Ando was pretty much unbeaten with her version.

Upon first viewing, I think there are some nice moments, but I don't love this program. I think longer cuts would work better as a free skate, and I feel her former short program was more cohesive.

I guess I'll have to watch it a few more times.

vCash
    OMG, now THAT is an Olympic program! What a transformation, if the face was not shown, I would not have known it was Gracie Gold! Beautiful articulation of the arms , movement is supple and timed so well to the phrasing of the music. Even the 'mitten hands' have been separated into beautifully articulated fingers. Big kudos to Frank and Lori (and eville USFS for force feeding Gracie and her entourage their way ), I knew all along this was the right move, but the improvement has exceeded what I had thought was remotely reasonable. Honestly I have always strongly supported Gracie, but never really thought she was at all refined or articulate until now. Of course, a big kudos to Gracie herself, too, she must have worked so very hard to make this happen in such a short time.

ETA: she should just tell her twin that the borrowed dress is now 'MINE'. The whole package work so well.
    Last edited by FunnyBut; 12-13-2013 at 02:35 PM.

vCash
    Glebova also skated to this .

I admit I really like this short. Obviously not as edgy as Gershwin, but if skated sans mistakes, it has a potential to score very well!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Frank is an excellent coach, especially, if he has a skater who is willing to put in the work and time.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Frank is an excellent coach, especially, if he has a skater who is willing to put in the work and time.
    True. I just watched Gracie's new sp....Much improved, IMHO..

vCash
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm not as blown away as some of you appear to be. Cross posting from Golden Skate:

To be honest, painfully screechy violin music and windmill-y footwork aside, there was nothing that wrong with her first program. When I watched it with the music turned down it was okay. I think a different version of the music and a reworking of the footwork would have been fine...I'm not sure why they decided the scrap the entire thing. If anything her FS is what needed a complete do-over.

This new program is very blah and meh...bleh...it's a bleh program. It's all soft and pwetty and I just don't get why they keep steering this incredibly fast and powerful skater down this soft and delicate road with these programs. Why can no one give this poor girl a program that highlights her strengths and minimizes her weaknesses? Powerful fast skater = powerful fast music to highlight all of the power and speed. It's not rocket science people... This is your typical run-of-the-mill generic pretty skating program. I do think her spins looked very fast in the video so that's a plus, but her arms are still too stiff and straight...I don't know if they'll ever be able to fix that. But overall, this is nothing special, unique or memorable.

Personally I think they should have spent their time working on her jumps; not redoing her SP. That's what's been what's missing this season. We all know it doesn't matter what she skates to as long as she lands the jumps and she hasn't been landing them. That's where the focus should have been. Now she'll have the task of debuting a new program at the most pressure-filled event of her life which is adding to the pressure she's already under, and we all know Gracie doesn't manage pressure well.
    I'll add to that by saying I do feel Gracie has improved this season as far as presentation goes but this lyrical program still seems forced to me. She's pulling it off decently enough but it doesn't look natural. I think it has a lot to do with how stiff and straight her carriage is, particularly (and most annoyingly) her arms. When I think lyrical, I think of soft, elegant, flowy, graceful, delicate...Gracie is making an effort to be all of those things but (to me) it's obvious it's something she has to make an effort to be. It doesn't seem like it's her natural way of moving and I can see that in her performance.

It's a nice program that will score very well at nationals if she pulls it off...then again her first SP would have scored very well if she pulled that off too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast