View Poll Results: Which crusty warhorse will prevail?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • SwArms Lake--If you can't point your toes, flail.

1 1.96%
  • Carmen. You know, in a black and red costume...

9 17.65%
  • A slightly less ear-splitting George Gershwin number.

6 11.76%
  • Memoirs of a Geisha. A tribute to Japanese culture?

3 5.88%
  • Something Puccinni. Italian is always nice.

4 7.84%
  • Soemthing Kwan used. If that feeling starts beginning, take an ant-acid.

11 21.57%
  • Other Generic Movie Soundtrack. Music tinkly enough to make you pee.

8 15.69%
  • An "edgy" Muzak version of a classic rock tune.

1 1.96%
  • Something else (DO explain.)

8 15.69%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    So many fantastic ideas!

Who are we kidding, it's going to be Malaguena, isn't it?
    I fear it will be.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Nothing spanish, that was last year.

I'm guessing Rhapsody in Blue.

vCash
    I think Carroll is smart enough to realise tinkly elevator piano muzak won't suit Gold who isn't a very balletic skater. She needs something powerful, with a strong beat. Easiest choice would be Malaguena, Carmen, Adios Nonino, something out of that list so I bet on something along those lines.

I thought her SP was very good this season. R.I.P.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Even though I couldn't stand the musical arrangement of her SP, I'm actually surprised that it is being changed because Skate Canada proved that if she skates it well, the judges will reward her. Besides, it's the LP that really isn't working for her; she hasn't skated it anywhere close to clean this season and the music choice and costuming is the polar opposite to her style of skating. At least the SP matched her immature, non-balletic style.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Besides, it's the LP that really isn't working for her; she hasn't skated it anywhere close to clean this season and the music choice and costuming is the polar opposite to her style of skating.
    It isn't. Sleeping Beauty is a powerful piece of music with a strong beat and accents. It's a good choice for her (and the program is very well choreographed).

vCash
    It isn't. Sleeping Beauty is a powerful piece of music with a strong beat and accents. It's a good choice for her (and the program is very well choreographed).
    Watching Gracie's long programme this year makes me miss Angela Nikodinov's interpretation of Sleeping Beauty ... all Angela had to do was a few crossovers and the audience would be mesmerized

vCash
    I miss Angela dearly. And I don't know if we'll ever see a Nikodinov type again under COP..... Her appeal was her simplicity.

vCash
    East of Eden !

vCash
    Betting on Nessum SnoozaDorma. Or Aranjuez.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Yes, I'm aware.

Doesn't make it less offensive.

Anyways, as others have said it's the free that needs to be replaced.
    Agreed.

I voted for 'An "edgy" Muzak version of a classic rock tune' since no one else did!

I'm in the minority though. I kind of liked Gracie's SP music and choreo. And her "Sleeping Beauty" is growing on me.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    What are your objections exactly? There's quite a lot of transitions, pretty much constant upper body movement and she's responding to almost every single accent in the music. The movements are varied as well.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I rewatched the SC FS just for you, Ziggy. The sacrifices I make around here.

First few seconds, her responses consist of throwing her arms up several times in absolutely identical fashion on a few music accents. Because they told her to.

If you are into armography, great. I just like it to be somewhat varied. After the 3R and between the death drop into the combo spin she does execute some nice TR and she does them well. And after that HELLO WINDMILLING!! How I've missed you. Not. Mr. Carroll! Make it stop!!! Literally almost nothing but windmilling from then on until the so-called "Ina" into the 3F. C'mon, Gracie, your back if flexible enough for a decent Ina.

Then a whole lot of nothing special and fall on the lutz, then step out on sal. There is not much aside from the spin between that and the 2A-2T-2T. The spin is well placed to the harp arpeggios. Again, literally a few seconds of TR which are again, not bad including spirals and a half-hearted Russian split. Into the final spin (her spins are good, I like that she doesn't lose speed when she transitions to the Bielmann) and final position. This is not catering to her strengths as a skater but FC might do something with it, like add TR and stop the windmilling. Windmilling to a Tchaikovsky ballet should be an automatic deduction. It's an affront to everything a Tchaikovsky ballet represents and causes death in my Russian ballet uber's soul.

Another thing, which is very minor but since we are on the subject. I like her dress, hair and make up. Hooray for a lipstick color that's not bright red for a change. She looks great, I start thinking she may be the Lilac Fairy. But then the program starts with the Carabosse theme and there's talk about her being a "power witch" whatever that means. The Lilac Fairy is no power witch--she is gentle, soothing and non-confrontational, as is her theme, featured later in Gracie's free skate. The Lilac Fairy does protect the Princess to an extent and does ward off the evil fairy Carabosse but not before the latter wreaks serious havoc. A power witch would have kicked Carabosse's a$$ from here into the next Perrault fairy tale.

And before SC Gracie wore a pink dress that traditionally designates the Princess Aurora.

So what is she portraying here? She doesn't have to portray anyone of course, just interpret the music but her dress is lilac so you think of the Lilac Fairy but then...etc. For instance, Kwan just skated to Spartacus in a dark red dress and wasn't portraying anyone to my knowledge. And that's fine. Sleeping Beauty is a story ballet so you can't help but expect a story, especially if the skater is wearing a costume of one of the characters. That's what confuses me a bit. A minor point, compared to the above but still. To me this "evolution" from the "power witch" to pink Princess to Lilac Fairy represents not someone from the story but rather Gracie's own confused identity as a skater.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Was it level 3 or 4 Windmilling?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Level 4 all the way! She should receive federal subsidies as a clean energy source.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-26-2013 at 09:32 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Given most skaters don't bother to respond to the music whatsoever, most of the time, I'm very happy with somebody throwing their arms up and down instead of doing nothing.

Whatever music she picks, the issues with her posture and lack of body awareness are going to be there and you're all going to bitch because she's not Kwan2. At least that program has some actual choreography and transitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I miss Angela dearly. And I don't know if we'll ever see a Nikodinov type again under COP..... Her appeal was her simplicity.
    Yes indeed. IMHO, Angela is one of the most artistic female skaters the U.S. has produced in recent decades. She skated with SOUL.

Having said that, I know this is a thread for Gracie and it would be unfair to compare the two (considering that Angela's artistry didn't blossom till the later years). Give Gracie some time (maybe 3 or 4), and perhaps she'll grow into a beautiful skater that touches the hearts of many.

vCash
    Given most skaters don't bother to respond to the music whatsoever, most of the time, I'm very happy with somebody throwing their arms up and down instead of doing nothing.

Whatever music she picks, the issues with her posture and lack of body awareness are going to be there and you're all going to bitch because she's not Kwan2. At least that program has some actual choreography and transitions.
    Really? Kwan2? Gold is so unlike Kwan, I don't even know where to begin. I would never compare them or hope Gold becomes Kwan. She couldn't be a more different skater, and I hope Carroll sees that. BUT, she could improve on her posture and arms/hands. But every skater can improve on something.

O-

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast