vCash

Mao best skater of this era if she wins in Sochi

It is funny how many YuNa bots were claiming she would be the best ever if she wins her 2nd Olympic Gold in Sochi, or even worse that she already is. In reality if Mao wins in Sochi, Yu Na wont even be the best skater of her own era anymore, let alone the best ever. Mao will be the best skater of the Mao/Yu Na era. Especialy with Worlds being in Japan this year which makes Mao a lock for her 3rd World title if she shows up (and with Kim not going). Mao also says she plans to keep skating so she could add even more to her already illustrious resume.

vCash
    Though I am not a Kim fan I believe that she will be remembered as one of the best of her generation no matter what happens in Sochi. She already has such a legendary status and she was considered invincible in 2010. Mao couldn't use her absence in the last couple of years to bring herself in a similar position. For her reputation the outcome of the Olympics and worlds are probably more important than they are for Kim. They both surely will be remembered as two of the all time greats but Kim's star seems a little brighter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    It is funny how many YuNa bots were claiming she would be the best ever if she wins her 2nd Olympic Gold in Sochi, or even worse that she already is. In reality if Mao wins in Sochi, Yu Na wont even be the best skater of her own era anymore, let alone the best ever. Mao will be the best skater of the Mao/Yu Na era. Especialy with Worlds being in Japan this year which makes Mao a lock for her 3rd World title if she shows up (and with Kim not going). Mao also says she plans to keep skating so she could add even more to her already illustrious resume.
    What do you mean of this era? 2010 onward? She was such a mess in 2011 and 2012 that I don't know if even a gold in Sochi would qualify her for best of 2010+ honor. Right now Carolina Kostner has been the most impressive of the lasr 4 years but since I don't expect her to medal in Sochi, that might change.

vCash
    How can you call a skater who isn't able to rotate her jumps fully most of the time, 'the best skater of her era?'

I guess I am fixated on that issue more than most people are but I think everybody would agree that good jump technique is very important.

I guess it depends on the criteria you are using but if you're looking at an overall package, there definitely are a few skaters with a stronger overall set of skills.

vCash
    In reality if Mao wins in Sochi, Yu Na wont even be the best skater of her own era anymore, let alone the best ever.
    Mao wishes she would.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Yep, it's Friday the 13th alright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    How can you call a skater who isn't able to rotate her jumps fully most of the time, 'the best skater of her era?'

I guess I am fixated on that issue more than most people are but I think everybody would agree that good jump technique is very important.

I guess it depends on the criteria you are using but if you're looking at an overall package, there definitely are a few skaters with a stronger overall set of skills.
    And the huge scores Yuna just received for her SP with a fall confirm that the judges love her . I don't think a clean Mao has a chance of beating a clean Yuna. I much prefer Mao, but am pretty much resigned to the high likelihood that she will earn silver or bronze at the Olympics.

Mao isn't as much competition to Yuna as Hanyu is to Chan IMO.

vCash
    First, when did Mao confirm that she is planning to continue beyond this season? As far as I know, she is planning this to be her last season.
    Second, I don't care who is the best skater of this era (how many times have similar threads like this been made already?) but she is my favorite skater of this era. Like Sasha Cohen, there is always so much focus on her weaknesses but the strengths of her skating and overall look on the ice just sets her apart from her competitors for me.

vCash
    Sasha is my favorite skater of her era too. Objectively speaking Kwan and Slutskaya are much greater skater, but I would prefer to go back and watch Sasha programs than either of those, especialy Irina.

vCash
    Sasha is my favorite skater of her era too. Objectively speaking Kwan and Slutskaya are much greater skater, but I would prefer to go back and watch Sasha programs than either of those, especialy Irina.
    Same here.

I think both Mao and Yuna will be remembered as two of the all time greats of their generation. Both are living legends. There's no measuring stick for what both have brought to the sport. Both I am sure have inspired young skaters into the next generation.

vCash

Who cares now ? Why don't you wait for Socchi ?

vCash
    I like Mao, but when was the last time she put out a clean LP? I have doubt that the 3A won't give her problem at Sochi. I also think it's an issue that she won her last two world titles without winning either the short or the long program. In order to be considered one of the best, Mao needs to win her world title with more convictions and not because her rivals screwed up.