vCash

Experience with Dentures

This is so not a sexy topic!! I'm currently considering becoming toothless and wearing a full set of dentures (Plan C) as the money I need to spend to preserve the teeth I've got left (Plan A) (the front and bottom half) is really more than I can afford. It would have to come out of my emergency fund, and I'm not sure the situation is enough of an emergency to warrant the expenditure.

I'm wondering if full dentures will be such a miserable experience that I should spend whatever it takes to preserve the teeth I've got. It seems that there are a whole lot of people who do just fine with dentures. Plan B (for two implants) is to get the second half of the work done in Mexico by a highly recommended a dentist there who is expensive by Mexican standards but much more affordable than my dentist. I'd have to make two trips there and have the support of my dentist at least for the follow-up.

The advice of anyone with experience of full dentures would be appreciated. I had half dentures before and found them very uncomfortable, and as result they became so poorly aligned that I couldn't use them anymore. So on the one hand, I tell myself spend the money and avoid the discomfort. On the other hand, I say it is only teeth - not my life, not my vision, not my limbs.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    My friend who has a full set sez when she takes them out she looses her hearing. I can't tell if she's joking or serious. She is serious when she says they hurt less than the teeth she got down to, which gave her horrendous sinus infections. But she is always saying with the dentures she feels like she has a horse's bit in her mouth. Aesthetically she looks a lot better.

Pros and cons...
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

vCash
    I think it depends on your age. My husband's sister had a full set, top & bottom by the time she was 36. Since money was not an issue, I couldn't imagine why she would not have opted for saving her good teeth plus implants for the others. I think if I were old enough that extended dental work would adversely impact my health then going for the dentures might be a good idea. YMMV

vCash
    My mom has a partial set of dentures and she says they are uncomfortable. I guess they feel big in her mouth, bigger than her normal teeth were. But she would never sit for someone drilling a hole in her jaw to get an implant. People do take them out at night, right? So that is another thing to consider – I guess that would be a significant other type of question.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    I'd go to Mexico and get the implants. (Or someplace else, if that was less expensive.) Once you've lost all your teeth, you'll also lose a whole lot of bone mass in your jaw. I'd be surprised if the dentures you get initially would still fit well in a year or two.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Dental problems are the pits.

vCash
    My late husband had a dental practice and I worked with him. Upper complete dentures are usually not a problem as they are held in by suction (if you have a good ridge). Lower dentures are a different story, however, so if you can, it is usually recommended to keep as many lower dentition as you can and have a chrome cobalt partial denture fitted. Complete lower dentures tend to float and unless someone has a very pronounced ridge they are much harder to keep in place. I don't wear dentures myself and am only advising on what my observations were over the years. Also, it is also recommended to have the dentures religned every year or two depending on resorption of the ridge. Check with several professionals....shop around. One thing he also stressed was brushing the gums with a soft brush to maintain good mouth health and cleaning dentures as often as your regular teeth using proper denture cleaners (not toothpaste). If you have any questions, you can PM me. I hope this is helpful.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I'd go to Mexico and get the implants. (Or someplace else, if that was less expensive.) Once you've lost all your teeth, you'll also lose a whole lot of bone mass in your jaw. I'd be surprised if the dentures you get initially would still fit well in a year or two.
    This. If you *can* get implants, do it, even if it's just in one jaw. You'll generally have a denture that will be MUCH more stable than a traditional denture, because, as barbk notes, you lose a lot of bone in your jaw once the teeth are gone, and that bone is what would hold the dentures in place. There's a reason there's a ton of denture adhesive out there on the market! Implant-supported dentures are usually much less bulky and gag-inducing, when it comes to upper dentures.
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    My late husband had a dental practice and I worked with him. Upper complete dentures are usually not a problem as they are held in by suction (if you have a good ridge). Lower dentures are a different story, however, so if you can, it is usually recommended to keep as many lower dentition as you can and have a chrome cobalt partial denture fitted. Complete lower dentures tend to float and unless someone has a very pronounced ridge they are much harder to keep in place. I don't wear dentures myself and am only advising on what my observations were over the years. Also, it is also recommended to have the dentures religned every year or two depending on resorption of the ridge. Check with several professionals....shop around. One thing he also stressed was brushing the gums with a soft brush to maintain good mouth health and cleaning dentures as often as your regular teeth using proper denture cleaners (not toothpaste). If you have any questions, you can PM me. I hope this is helpful.
    Yup, you'll probably need some maintenance/tweaking/relining of any traditional denture you get. "course there's that with implant-supported dentures, too.

Keep in mind, too, that even if traditional dentures fit well sometimes they won't be super stable, and your ability to chew stuff may be very different with dentures. There's a reason that so many older people have constipation--it's because they have dentures and can't chew good fibrous stuff to keep their digestive system moving properly.

(I'm entirely serious here. Have worked on a top implant journal as an editor for 15 years now.)

More than one opinion would be a very good thing. Dentists have different approaches. If you look into implants, you probably want to consider someone who's a member of the Academy of Osseointegration, European Academy of Osseointegration, American Academy of Implant Dentistry, or similar association (not sure if Canada has its own).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Entre el mundo del patinaje y el mundo real
    vCash
    You should try to keep your teeth as long as possible. Implants need a thorough evaluation evaluation and don't work in all the cases, if there is a possibility (money and bone density) you should try them. Please remember than the denture is never going to feel like your teeth, you would not chew like you use to and you will have to re-learn to speak. Good luck

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Whatever it costs, I'd pay it v. going to Mexico. You never know about the quality of the materials. Bad metal in your mouth can lead to all sorts of troubles way worse than dentures. Your health is an emergency. Dip into your emergency fund.

vCash
    I've had dentures since my mid 30's & next to giving birth to my children it was the happiest day when that last tooth was pulled. I'm 78 & to this day have no regrets. On the down side I don't eat nuts as they get in between my gums & dentures & that hurts but I can eat & chew most everything else.

vCash
    My mum got dentures when she was in her early 20s so has had them for over 40 years. One of the reasons she made my and my sisters brush our teeth religously. Thankfully we inherited our father's teeth, not our mother's. She has porcelein ones (not implants) and as far as I know they are not a problem.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I have implants. The bottom teeth are individual implants. the top are 4 implants with a removable denture. The advantage to that is that the denture doesn't necessarily need a roof plate, and they stay put. You don't need to use the adhesives, which are not so good for you. In addition. Having your teeth pulled out and not getting implants will cause major bone loss. The implants help to stabilize the bone and prevent it from receding. The reason I had to get a denture with implants, on top, is because I waited so long. I didn't want to spend the money. By the time I finally decided to do it, I had lost enough bone on my upper mandible that I needed bone grafts, and still, two of my implants failed. Had to have them re-done. Also, because I had so much bone loss, I do have part of my roof covered for stability. It is a long process and it is expensive. But, it is worth it. If you are going to do it, do it as soon as you can after the teeth are removed. Don't wait!

I am not sure I would go to Mexico. This has bone involvement. An infection in facial bones could be horrific.