Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is mens event at Games now wide open with Lysacek and probably Plushenko out

Earlier this year people were predicting the mens Olympic Gold to be a battle between Lysacek and Plushenko, just like 2010, with Chan the other major contender. Now with 1 of the 3 major favorites (Evan) and possibly a 2nd (Evgeny) out does this leave it much more wide open. Chan now becomes the heavy favorite with his 2 biggest rivals probably not there, but it opens the chances for others to possibly medal or even win as well.

vCash
    Earlier this year people were predicting the mens Olympic Gold to be a battle between Lysacek and Plushenko
    They were?

I don't think it is that open. I think it is Patrick vs. Hanyu, with Takahashi as the potential spoiler. I never though Lysacek or Plushenko would be factors even if they showed up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    They were?

I don't think it is that open. I think it is Patrick vs. Hanyu, with Takahashi as the potential spoiler. I never though Lysacek or Plushenko would be factors even if they showed up.
    I agree.

vCash
    Who thought the Gold medal was going to be between Evan and Plushenko and Chan? Neither skater has competed against Chan since 2010 and were never in the mix.

vCash
    They were?

I don't see Takahashi as the spoiler. He was never a strong jumper and now he has injuries. Jeremy Abbott could be if he skates two perfect programs and Chan & Hanyu make more than 2 mistakes each in the LP and at least one mistake in the SP.

I will be thrilled if Takahashi or Abbott (the two old men) win the OGM but I am OK with either Chan or Hanyu winning too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't see Takahashi as the spoiler. Jeremy Abbott could be if he skates two perfect programs and Chan & Hanyu make more than 2 mistakes each in the LP and at least one mistake in the SP.
    Okay- I'll agree with this.

But, basically, it comes down to "the men's bronze medal is wide open". It is HIGHLY unlikely anyone but Patrick or Hanyu will get Gold.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from whomever thought Gold was between Lysacek and Plushenko.

vCash
    Okay- I'll agree with this.

But, basically, it comes down to "the men's bronze medal is wide open". It is HIGHLY unlikely anyone but Patrick or Hanyu will get Gold.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from whomever thought Gold was between Lysacek and Plushenko.
    Probably only the OP.

I think Chan will win at least a silver. I don't see him dropping below that. I think Hanyu may be a gold or bronze type situation, depending on how he skates. I don't believe his mistakes will be forgiven that much (although he did win the GPF despite a fall on 4S, which he needs to dump).

Basically the silver & bronze medals are wide open. For Gold I would say 80% Chan, 10% Hanyu, 5% Abbott, and 5% everyone else.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Earlier this year people were predicting the mens Olympic Gold to be a battle between Lysacek and Plushenko, just like 2010....
    wow, it's the electronic version of a time capsule!

Welcome to 2014, KimGOAT. Things have changed a lot since you've been gone.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I agree that based on the way the season has gone the gold should be decided between Patrick and Yuzuru, with Patrick having the advantage, and that it was never a realistic target for Plushenko or Lysacek (lol), but at the same time I caution people not to say things like "it is highly unlikely that anyone else will get it"... This isn't ice dance but singles; the potential for upsets, implosions and surprises should always be factored in.

vCash
    Highly unlikely still leaves room for other outcomes.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh gawd, for a second I thought something happened to Patrick. Whew!!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    lolwhut

vCash
    Dunno if you've heard of him, but there's this one guy, Patrick Chan, who has won three World championships in the past few years... He's kind of been a favorite to win for a while, even without Lysacek and Plushenko.

vCash
    Now all gold hype belongs to Jason brown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Probably only the OP.

I think Chan will win at least a silver. I don't see him dropping below that. I think Hanyu may be a gold or bronze type situation, depending on how he skates. I don't believe his mistakes will be forgiven that much (although he did win the GPF despite a fall on 4S, which he needs to dump).

Basically the silver & bronze medals are wide open. For Gold I would say 80% Chan, 10% Hanyu, 5% Abbott, and 5% everyone else.
    I agree with those. Right now I think Abbott is the favorite to medal along with Chan and Hanyu, and the 3rd best chance at gold just behind them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    Dunno if you've heard of him, but there's this one guy, Patrick Chan, who has won three World championships in the past few years... He's kind of been a favorite to win for a while, even without Lysacek and Plushenko.
    OP noted Chan as a favorite all along, along with Lysacek and Plushenko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Earlier this year people were predicting the mens Olympic Gold to be a battle between Lysacek and Plushenko, just like 2010, with Chan the other major contender. Now with 1 of the 3 major favorites (Evan) and possibly a 2nd (Evgeny) out does this leave it much more wide open. Chan now becomes the heavy favorite with his 2 biggest rivals probably not there, but it opens the chances for others to possibly medal or even win as well.
    This is the original post

Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    Please see the bolded portion. Chan is the heavy favorite, as per the OP. Although I never thought of Lysacek or Plushenko as a OGM favorite in Sochi, I can see why the OP did not label him as the only favorite, but rather one of the favorites and a heavy favorite.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    wow, it's the electronic version of a time capsule!

Welcome to 2014, KimGOAT. Things have changed a lot since you've been gone.

LOL! I was going to post something similar to this, but you said everything I was thinking.

vCash
    More importantly, is the mens' field wide open now that both Orser and Boitano are out of the closet?

vCash
    Have you all forgotten the Canadian Men's Olympic Curse????
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast