Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    I have not warmed up to them but I have not given up on them either. I find them frantic and rough, but hopefully they will develop. However, I am big on posture on lines so I don't know if I will ever truly like them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    They have speed, but the way they have to skate to get that power is very questionable. I'm not a purist at all in terms of ballet posture or anything but both programs are frantic and manic and they just go as fast as they can and they seem on the verge of crashing half of the time
    the comparisons with Davis/White I don't get...they may have taken the same route of doing everything a 100 miles and hour but they lack the difficulty, intricacy and choreography of the americans, imho (and I hate Zueva's vanilla choreo)
    I think they could well lose their status as Russian champions in a month. What I/K have delivered so far this season is well above anything B/S have put to the plate these past 4 years
    Ditto. I don't think ballet posture is the only posture acceptable for ice dance. It' very upright and exaggerated and can limit movement...and I dance and love ballet by the way. The problem is I can't think of a single form a dance where you can be completely bent at the waist like that, well not any dance that involves partner holds. It's like if speed skaters put on dresses and attempted to ice dance.

If you look at D/Ws program this year, there are almost no crossovers. They're getting their speed from their footwork, even back in the POTO when they were a bit rougher, they still had more precision than these two could ever dream of. I didn't like their skates last year and I knew then what they were being set up for. I really hope post Olympics they fade back into the oblivion, because I much rather watch the Shibs slower Geisha program and be entranced by their silent edges than watch them "dance".

vCash
    I've always kinda liked them...a lot of my skating enjoyment comes from some intangible quality a skater or team may have that may or may not appeal to another fan. I still can watch some older programs (Romeo and Juliet and the sailor OD for example) and just enjoy it. Will they be one of the great Russian teams? Probably not but that doesn't take away from their accomplishments.

ETA: Having said that, after watching I/K at TEB, I do have to wonder why I/K aren't ahead of them. Maybe they will be, though.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    Am I the only one who does NOT get this team?
    Yup, you are the only person in the whole wide world. Not one person has ever said "I don't get this team" about B&S in the history of mankind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    ! I like the original version of the FD. Zhulin, why change a good thing?
    Wish I knew. Certainly couldn't be worse than this thing.
    Like many of you I really loved their programs last season so it's very disappointing to see what they've been given this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Kurt and Carol Lane didn't like them either. And what was the dog barking business at the beginning? Doubtful there were any dogs in the arena near the sound system so it must have been a part of the music. Why?
    LOL So it's not just me I knew I heard dogs barking the first time I saw this 'thing' but couldn't really hear them at CoC but there they were again in Russia. Bizarre.

vCash
    And here I was thinking that this would be a fan forum... I don't think they deserve all the hate they get, and if they were American, they would be liked a lot more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    And here I was thinking that this would be a fan forum... I don't think they deserve all the hate they get, and if they were American, they would be liked a lot more.
    That's not true. Many American teams get tons of hate or at least negativity. See Chock/Bates. I dislike that argument because you can easily turn around and say something like "if they weren't Russian, then they wouldn't be winning medals or even talked about." Even if your argument or the converse is true, it's all supposition.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That's not true. Many American teams get tons of hate or at least negativity. See Chock/Bates. I dislike that argument because you can easily turn around and say something like "if they weren't Russian, then they wouldn't be winning medals or even talked about." Even if your argument or the converse is true, it's all supposition.
    Well Chock and Bates don't have a hate thread in FSU, so I don't think that's comparable. Right now B/S are getting Chan level hate...

vCash
    Not sure about if they were American, but I do agree that they don't deserve all the hate they get. You can't blame them for their being overscored, blame the judges.

vCash
    Well Chock and Bates don't have a hate thread in FSU, so I don't think that's comparable. Right now B/S are getting Chan level hate...
    That's because Bobrova/Soloviev are getting results. If Chock/Bates were getting the results B/S were getting, then you'd see it too. I remember the aftermath of the Shibs winning the Bronze medal at Worlds 2011. A lot of that negativity and resentment is still felt today in the PBP threads of competitions in which the Shibs are competing. Though, since they are not winning major hardware anymore, it has died down.

Anyway, since you recognize that Chan is also the subject of a lot of negativity, are you saying that it's only the American skaters that are free from it?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That's because Bobrova/Soloviev are getting results. If Chock/Bates were getting the results B/S were getting, then you'd see it too. I remember the aftermath of the Shibs winning the Bronze medal at Worlds 2011. A lot of that negativity and resentment is still felt today in the PBP threads of competitions in which the Shibs are competing. Though, since they are not winning major hardware anymore, it has died down.

Anyway, since you recognize that Chan is also the subject of a lot of negativity, are you saying that it's only the American skaters that are free from it?
    I think that if Chan were American he would be getting less hate, and if he were Russian he'd be getting even more.

vCash
    D-W ubbers project their angry at other skaters

This tread become D-W ubbers mean girl parties

vCash
    Yeah - I don't really get why a thread is started - that could be mistaken for a fan thread by its title- just to provide a space for saying negative things about them. Aren't there already enough places where people are doing that? But then again, I guess it is what happens in FSU sometimes. There have been many occasions where there are multiple threads that are overtaken as spaces where posters can trash Chan or Plushenko or Chait and Sakhnovsky and whoever the hated one(s) of the hour is/are.

vCash
    Vaitcehovskay said she talked with person, who couldn't talk on publics (so I think it was judges) and he.(she) said all is OK with BS FD, judges love it. So nothing is ended for.this team.
    Last season they improved a lot.and had amazing programs. So this didn't happened this season, but will be interesting where they ended up at OG. In my opinion both BS and IK.could win ECh and even OG, why not?
    At TEB IK were much faster,.then I ever saw DW. I wish both Russian teams.be at GPF, but we need to wait until ECh

vCash
    Right now B/S are getting Chan level hate...
    I think that if Chan were American he would be getting less hate, and if he were Russian he'd be getting even more.
    Is any of this even possible To be clear I do not hate them, I like them a lot. I am disappointed in their programs this season but I absolutely am a fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    So did I. And for me their SD was one of the best of the season. It was a breakout year for them. I thought they improved across the board. I think they're still reaping the benefits of that bronze medal to some extent - like all bronze medalists do - but like all BMs, that wont last beyond this season unless they bring it.

This year they definitely dont look as good, BUT, Zhulin changed BOTH their programs a month before their GP debut. So these programs are about 2 months old. Everyone else had double that time at least to work on their programs. In the case of the FD, he apparently took their old dance, changed the music, and tried to make them skate the same choreography to the different music. How crazy does that sound?!?

I feel kind of sorry for them - just as they were starting to improve their coach pulls the rug out from under them - I still find it hard to believe he did that - I cannot imagine why he would think it's to their benefit.
    This. All of this. Great post, Tak.

I LOVED both their SD and FD last year. They were very creative and the movements were so interesting and well executed. Look at all the unorthodox shapes they created in their FD, and they way they worked into and out of them. I thought they danced it really well (unfortunately Worlds was not thir best outing but look at And yes, they noticeably improved across the board.

And yes, they are paying catch up because they had to scrap both programs so it is understandable, imo, that their weaknesses are more noticeable. They need time to familiarize themselves with the choreo, with the movement.

I feel really sorry for them. I think they are much better than their current FD and I wish they had stuck with the original version....i heard TAT asked for the change this year again, but i am not sure. Why did this have to happen in the season of their home Olympics when they are defending bronze medalists? Part of me hopes they change their material, but the other part of me doesn't want to see them get further behind. In any case, i look forward to seeing how they grow through this season and beyond. I love their willingness to go outside the box, to tackle very different concepts. Hang in there, Katia and Dima!

vCash
    ^ They didn't "have to scrap both programs." Zhulin himself said the FD was well-received at the test event. I haven't heard that TAT rumor. Where is that from?

vCash
    I just watched their Rostelecom Cup LP last night. Found it interesting that the announcer mentioned they were 15th at the 2010 Olympics. And now, they're #3 in the world? Right. Whatever improvement has happened since 2010, it's not nearly enough for them to be #3 in the world IMO.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    I just watched their Rostelecom Cup LP last night. Found it interesting that the announcer mentioned they were 15th at the 2010 Olympics. And now, they're #3 in the world? Right. Whatever improvement has happened since 2010, it's not nearly enough for them to be #3 in the world IMO.
    10 of the couples that finished ahead of them retired or split. They have only passed C&L and P&B since 2010. C&L did beat them in the FD at Worlds and P&B were injured last season and just beat them on the GP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    Look at the 14 teams that finished ahead of them at the 2010 Olympics and you see that only 4 are still competing - Cappelini/Lanotte, Pechalat/Bourzat, Davis/White, & Virtue/Moir - their move up the standings is more related to the huge turnover in teams in the last four years then from great improvements in this team.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast